Movement in the 29th Senate District Soon?

By Greg L | 27 April 2010 | 29th VA Senate, Prince William County | 28 Comments

In anticipation of some sort of announcement by Senator Colgan, candidates are ramping up for a primary campaign that should be rather interesting.  Bob Fitzsimmonds has already sent out a fundraising letter, and now Jackson Miller is getting attention over at Virtucon.  Can some news from Senator Colgan about his much-anticipated retirement be far behind?

Now that the veto session is over in the General Assembly, this would be about the time an announcement should be forthcoming, if it’s going to happen before the next Session.  Democrats might delay this if they think they can field a strong candidate and need more time to lay groundwork, but I don’t see much in the way of opportunities for them in this district.  I don’t anticipate them even running a candidate, so there’s little apparent reason to delay.

1. Casanova Frankenstein said on 27 Apr 2010 at 11:58 am:

Jeannette Rishell must be printing up her bumper stickers already!!!

2. Anonymous said on 27 Apr 2010 at 12:12 pm:

Jackson Miller by far is the strongest candidate to win and hold this seat.

3. Big Dog said on 27 Apr 2010 at 1:11 pm:

Plenty of moving parts - Colgan retires, Miller runs for
    the open Senate seat, Mayor Parrish runs for Miller’s
    old seat in the House (held for years by Hal’s highly
    respected late father) and Andy Harrover or Marc Aveni
    run for Mayor.

4. Just asking said on 27 Apr 2010 at 1:55 pm:

Is anyone supporting Fitzsimmons? He usually runs, but I don’t know how well he will do against Miller. Who supports him?

5. Ronald said on 27 Apr 2010 at 1:55 pm:

Well, I have no interest in supporting Jackson Miller… His endorsement of Herrity sealed the deal for me.

6. patriot said on 27 Apr 2010 at 3:03 pm:

Well, I have my bets on Jackson Miller!!! I am not hoping for Herrity, but thats me. I like Finimen last time and he has grown so much and he really does care. So I hope Finimen beats Herrity.

But don’t take away Jackson’s talents. He would be so much better for Virginia than any other.

Fitzsimmons has tried so many times and he just doesn’t have it. He is very arrogant and can not serve the people well at all. He better stick with the high paying job he sold his soul to back a few years ago.

Yep, your right ,I am not a fan of Fitzsimmons.

7. Casanova Frankenstein said on 27 Apr 2010 at 4:04 pm:

Big Dog,

Actually, Carroll Weimer will probably go for Jackson’s House seat.

8. Greg L said on 27 Apr 2010 at 4:35 pm:

Not so sure about Weimer — I think his eyes are on the County Attorney position, and he’d be great for it.

I’d like to See Doug Waldron discuss a run in the 50th — better choice than many of the names I’ve heard mentioned so far.

9. Ronaldo said on 27 Apr 2010 at 5:21 pm:

Hey Ronald, thats kinda funny. I support Herrity and was happy Jackson was endorsing him. Then I saw that Jackson also endorsed Howie Lind and that sealed the deal for me. Now I wont support Jackson because of that endorsement.

10. Oh No! said on 28 Apr 2010 at 9:20 am:

How about this? Support a candidate based on his positions, and based on those who endorsed him or her, giving due consideration to both aspects.

Many of you are saying you will or won’t support a candidate based on who they have previously endorsed? Kind of dysfunctional thinking from where I stand. I really don’t care who Jackson has endorsed previously, because I don’t know what rationale he used to decide whom he should endorse. What I care about is:

1. Do Jackson’s positions, votes, record reflect my values, positions etc? Check.

2. Can Jackson win against any Democrat running for the seat? Check.

3. Who is endorsing Jackson for this seat.

The only consideration I give to Jackson’s previous endorsements is did he endorse members of his own party, or did he ever go rogue and endorse an independent or member of another party, when his party had a duely nominated candidate in the race.

If you want to hold pervious endorsements against a candidate (and I am not suggesting that you do), then hold Bob Fitzsimmons previous endorsement of Steve Chapman (did so twice) against him. Hold Hal Parrish’s previous endorsement of Colgan over Fitzsimmons against him.

11. Advocator said on 28 Apr 2010 at 10:37 am:

@Greg: If Carroll Weimer is so interested in the Commonwealth Attorney’s position (I assume that is what you meant, not County Attorney), why hasn’t he run previously against Sir Ebert? No balls? Afraid of what Ebert would do to his practice if he lost?

12. Anonymous said on 28 Apr 2010 at 11:28 am:

Delegate Miller has been friends with the Herrity family for years. He did endorse Fimian the last time and has said he likes Fimian. I agree with “Oh No” and hope other voters in the district will look at Jackson Miller’s record, where he stands, etc, to see if he believes and supports what they do when they decide who to support in this race. In the GOP nod Miller can win in Nov. Fitzsimmonds has tried and failed several, several times.

13. Chris said on 28 Apr 2010 at 3:01 pm:

For me, its the old Strom Thurmond line. . . “your heart says Fitzsimmons, but your head says Miller.”

To be fair, its a pretty nice choice to have. I like Bob Fitzsimmons a lot, he took on Colgan when other wouldn’t, and we shouldn’t forget that sort of thing.

But Jackson Miller is a comer in the party, and has been as solid a conservative delegate as I can find. Sometimes its just time for new blood in a race. Miller has a great voting record and a history of winning.

What will be interesting is to see how redistricting will work here. I’ve heard talk of moving the 37th (Marsden) into Prince William county, one might think that would geographically include Manassas. The power is with the House Republicans and the governor who I assume would want to help one of their own, but moving the 37th into PWC might help knock off Marsden. What will happen?

14. VRC said on 28 Apr 2010 at 9:19 pm:

Both Miller and Fitzsimmonds are great guys and either one would be a great Senator for us in the 29th. Miller has been in the trenches in Richmond for several years now and has likely established important alliances. On the other hand, Fitzsimmonds has worked in Richmond as well, particularly for Ken Cuccinelli and he is an unapologetic conservative - I can’t ever see a situation where Bob would compromise his/our principles for political expediency. Tough call for me.

15. NoVA Scout said on 29 Apr 2010 at 6:06 am:

FitzSimmonds brings to mind the adage about how insanity is repeating the same action over and over and expecting a different result.

16. Ishmael said on 29 Apr 2010 at 12:28 pm:

And you bring to mind a bowl of warm cat puke, NoVA Scout.

17. Voice of Reason. said on 29 Apr 2010 at 7:40 pm:

Quick note. I have had reservations about Del. Miller since he essentially stated that Rafael Lopez’s race was lost (This was at Bob Marshalls kickoff.) and that we needed to focus on his. Of course he won huge and we narrowly lost the Lopez v. Torian race, but it makes me wonder if he wasn’t trying to inflate his vote total in order to make a stronger case for his senate race. In any event, it’s far too early for anyone to be campaigning when it will essentially serve as a distraction from the Congressional race this fall.

18. NoVA Scout said on 29 Apr 2010 at 9:37 pm:

Brilliant riposte, there, Ishmael. Your incisive comment begins to show me another analytical approach that marshals facts and theory into a cogent synthesis unobtainable by pedestrian minds such as my own. Intellectual depth such as you have just shared with this little segment of the public is a powerful argument for the benefits of compulsory public education.

19. Kevin C said on 29 Apr 2010 at 11:23 pm:

NoVA Scout said on 29 Apr 2010 at 9:37 pm: “Your incisive comment begins to show me another analytical approach that marshals facts and theory into a cogent synthesis unobtainable by pedestrian minds such as my own.”

BOYscout, do you TRY to sound like a MIDDLE SCHOOL student trying to BULLS#!T his way through an essay question or does it come to you naturally ???

20. park'd said on 30 Apr 2010 at 8:35 am:

Miller is one of the few politicians that I GENERALLY like and respect. Yes, I think he could do more for the park but overall he is a good representative. Let’s just hope he stays that way and doesn’t land in the pockets of corporate interests as he rises through the field.

21. Ishmael said on 30 Apr 2010 at 10:28 am:

He’s got a Real Estate license, park’d. That ought to tell you something.

22. Oh No! said on 30 Apr 2010 at 10:54 am:

“Ishmael”…same name as the father of the Arabs, and thus, the father of Islam. That should tell you something. Also the name of the main character in Melville’s big fish tale…that should tell you something. What I think is that “Ishmael” is a Fitsimmonds plant and I suspect he or she is someone very close to a certaim Muslim Lawyer…hmmm?

23. Oh No! said on 30 Apr 2010 at 10:59 am:

Voice of Treason…can you provide and proof to support your claim that Miller said these things?

24. Becky Dee said on 30 Apr 2010 at 8:43 pm:

Lopez didn’t want to fundraise, that is why he lost. I have seen Miller at countless events helping other republican candidates raise money. To say he does otherwise is just plain wrong. Fitzsimmonds is a good guy and I like him, but I’m supporting Miller. Fitzsimmonds had his chance multiple times and we have to win this seat. It is too important an election to gamble away.

25. NoVA Scout said on 1 May 2010 at 6:33 am:

KevinC (2323) - it’s an entirely natural gift. Solo Dei Gloria

26. Kevin C said on 1 May 2010 at 9:47 am:

NoVA Scout said on 1 May 2010 at 6:33 am: “KevinC (2323) - it’s an entirely natural gift. Solo Dei Gloria”

Once again BOYscout proves how STUPID he is in an effort to TRY to make people THINK he is smarter that he actually is !!!

Hey STUPID !!!

It’s, “SOLI DEO Gloria !!!”

You can deny all you want that you are a teenager but you SURE AS HELL have the MENTALITY of one !!!!!

27. Anonymous said on 1 May 2010 at 6:23 pm:

Voice of reason,

You must be full of horse s#%t. Take a look at the money contributions over on vpap for Rafael Lopez. Jackson Miller and Rich Anderson were the only two other republican candidate (not to include speaker Howell’s pac). Miller gave $500, Anderson gave $200. I dont see a dime coming from Marshall or linghamfelter, or any other currently elected R’s for that matter.

28. NoVA Scout said on 3 May 2010 at 6:52 am:

Well, Kevin, I wouldn’t mind being a teenager again, at least for some purposes. As my Latin instruction all occurred when I was a teenager, I guess it sort of fits together. Although I always found Latin forms more likely to elevate the expression of teenagers rather than degrade them. I’d be glad to go toe-to-toe with you on declensions and conjugations, as I had one of the best Latin teachers to stride the face of the planet in the 20th Century, a lot of it sticks and I have tutored it to struggling schoolboy (and schoolgirl) scholars. I will caution them to use care in typing, especially if they type as quickly as I do and have chubby fingers like mine, lest bright sparks like you determine that they are, to use your clever phrase, “STUPID!!!”. I hope you don’t shout like that around the home.