What’s Happening in the Park?

By Greg L | 18 May 2010 | Manassas Park | 132 Comments

With a low-level but constant stream of folks complaining about the going’s on in Manassas Park and a request of late, let’s go on a fishing expedition and see what’s happening in this troubled locality.  If you’ve got a story, there’s plenty of readers for you here.

We know of course that the Park set the tax rate at a whopping $1.65 per hundred this year, which could easily have been higher and doesn’t at all fill the fiscal hole in the city’s budget.  We know they’ve chased off one member of the Governing Board with bogus criminal charges, and another relative maverick on the board has been suddenly very quiet and non-controversial.  What we don’t know quite yet is when games will no longer suffice to cover up the fiscal disaster looming there and force retrocession back into Prince William County and a long-awaited reckoning for those responsible.

Let’s see just how deep the rabbit hole goes…

1. park'd said on 19 May 2010 at 6:24 am:

Personally I could care less anymore. I am just biding my time until I either can short sale or foreclose. This city has been dead man walking for at least 2 years from the analysis that I did back then and has been a zombie pretty much ever since. I just await the inevitable failure and return to sensible PWC leadership (minus Chuck Deane). My neighborhood was taken over by a new management company last fall and things are MUCH improved these days. Blowing trash is gone, rowdy neighbors have been greatly reduced, although the ones next to me living 10-15 to that house are still annoying as can be. My mortgage is so low right now due to the ARM resetting and the rates being so low and the taxes dropped so much in the park that I could never rent a place now as nice as mine for anywhere near what my mortgage is. When that changes and if I still can’t sell for what I owe then I will ditch the house and flip the bird to the park on my way out. As a side note, there are just as many if not more illegals flooding into this town than there ever were. Must be plenty of construction jobs in this area. Can’t spit in this town without hitting a white work van with ladders that is filled to the brim with them. But what would I know about that? I’m just a racist who assumes that every Hispanic he sees is illegal.*rolls eyes* Oh well, Live and let live I suppose.

2. Anonymous said on 19 May 2010 at 7:38 am:

Part of the problem with “the Park” is the administration running the place. They have a serious drunk at the top tier of the administration and they probably don’t even know it or they are ignoring it. He has been in the government too long and keeps getting promoted up the line. He has had several domestic violence charges in the past several years and is, even, currently on probation in Prince William County. Perhaps the powers that be should look at just who is involved in running the city and deal with that garbage first. He makes a ton of money and if fired, would free up a large salary and perhaps someone could be hired for less and do more! What a thought….

3. MPnomore said on 19 May 2010 at 7:38 am:

The latest I have heard here at city hall is the rec center with payments for builing and personell are negative $166,000 monthly. Word is Colonial Downs really was a big part of Jones plan and then City Center has also tanked on prospective new business. Both failures compounded too much for the City to return from, even if another 19 are laid off as planned for 2011 the end looks to be mid 2013. Why no one comes out with this is plain politics and people wanting to keep a seccondary income regardless of what would be best for citizens(just human being needed to survive at this point).
    THe newest plan is for outstanding water bills from previous homeowners to be leined against current ones. Even if the bills are decades old. I do not know how that is legally possible but the moron Fields is considering it so do not be suprised at some legal ramblings about that coming down the pike as well.
    Gumpville, all I can say now is Gumpville.

4. ... said on 19 May 2010 at 7:59 am:

After MP’s head mechanic got busted for embezzlement, they’ve decided to completely outsource all vehicle maintenance.

They had been having problems with vehicle maintenance for a long time now–so much so that, about 2-3 years ago, the school system stopped having the public works garage maintain their vehicles.

It’s my suspicion that vehicle maintenance and repairs were not performed that the head mechanic said were performed because the parts and materials supposed to be used to do the work were instead being sold out the back door. Maybe that’s why their PD couldn’t get more than about 5 years out of a Crown Vic before it’s so busted they have to auction it.

5. mpcinsider said on 19 May 2010 at 9:26 am:

Well in regards to the new Rec Center: People have failed to pay their membership dues, extend care payment, and preschool payments. Some individuals owe over $350 and yet their kids are allowed to stay in childcare programs, or they are still allowed to use the facility.

I know the two staffer who over sees the late payment and neither one is doing their job. One has been over at city hall talking to the Head Treasurer (O’Neal) for hours upon hours. Yes Mercury you sweetheart deal to have the fire chief’s wife be the Treasurer has failed. She can’t even due her own budget. She has to rely on her husband’s help.

I was at the town hall meeting and the recommendation was to hold the tax rate at $1.65 for real estate taxes and $3.06 for personal property. The money coming in will not stem off the failure of the city. Remember watch out for the new city hall and MP own library.

6. MPnomore said on 19 May 2010 at 1:06 pm:

Hey anonymous, which one is the drunk?
    Iknow who the pothead is but who is the drunk wifebeater? Guessing his last name starts with F

7. ... said on 19 May 2010 at 1:14 pm:

“Yes Mercury you sweetheart deal to have the fire chief’s wife be the Treasurer has failed.”

The process was followed for nominating the Treasurer. Nobody else other than O’Neal filed to run for the Republican nomination for treasurer (there was not even a filing fee), nor did the Democrats nominate anyone, nor did anyone file to run as an independent.

Had someone else been interested in taking the job, there certainly weren’t many barriers to that. How hard is it to fill out a form and give it to Bill Wren by 5pm on a given Friday, or collect 150 signatures and give it to the registrar, or ask EJ Scott (the Democratic committee chair) to do her job and have a caucus to nominate a candidate for Treasurer?

As a result of this apparent lack of interest in the position, O’Neal was the only name on the ballot.

8. mpcinsider said on 19 May 2010 at 1:54 pm:

At MP city hall it is all about how can my spouse or family members work for the city. Mrs. O’Neal was hired as a preschool teacher’s assistant after her husband got the fire chief job. This is all on record. She slid over to the Treasurer after there was an opening. Strange how that happen so quickly!! Remember I see and talk to everyone at City Hall.

9. ... said on 19 May 2010 at 2:18 pm:

She was appointed as Treasurer, however, she also won an election in which nobody else bothered to challenge her.

The problem here is apathy.

10. Loudoun Insider said on 19 May 2010 at 3:00 pm:

What a frigging mess! Glad I don’t live there. And I thought Loudoun had tax rate problems!

11. anonymous said on 19 May 2010 at 4:16 pm:

The wife beater/children beater drunk’s last name starts with an “A.”

12. Big Dog said on 20 May 2010 at 7:47 am:

Finally, an article today in the N&M on MP’s budget and tax rate.

MP apparently cut this year’s budget 21.7% over last year,
    but kept the real estate tax rate of $1.65 and the property
    tax rate of $3.50.

13. MPResident said on 20 May 2010 at 2:13 pm:

A few responses to the above posts, MP is definately in a mess. And our faithful leaders have let us down. The 22 million dollar Castle on Costello Park is the worse. I found out the other day that if I want to take my grand daughter up there to play in the gym or if the kids after school want to hang out and shoot basketball, it will cost you $8 everyday. I use to work part time at the rec and know the kids use to come there and hang out and play ball, now how many are there and where are they now. I can tell you, causing havoc in the community. As far as Ms. O’Neil goes, she is nothing but a fine person. So is her husband. They are both good people who should not be lumped in with the established leaders of the Park. It is my goal to get the message out in the community about this ridiculous fee to have a general use of the rec gym. I guess I will start here on this blog. If any other residents are upset about this, please let Council know. I plan on speaking to the N&M about this and spreading the word around the community. It really doesn’t seem fair that I have to pay $8 to go up and shoot b-ball for a few hours when my tax dollars paid for that asinine building.

14. anklenipper said on 20 May 2010 at 7:50 pm:

I’m wondering, only wondering, what would happen with MP and other localities that are illegal friendly if there were to be a mass exodus, either forced or voluntary? I wonder how Arizona will deal with this?

I don’t support the illegals and am in no way suggesting amnesty be granted but it is a valid question. It bothers me that being single in what is supposed to be a single family neighborhood I have to pay the same rate as someone housing 10 people. I don’t know the legality of it but a occupancy tax could help out, at least until they decide what to do with this current illegal invasion issue. I suppose the problem would be getting the truth from property owners, and logistics. I don’t imagine it would be fair to charge anyone under 18 or those furthering their education. Personally if my taxes had to be raised to offset this exodus (dreaming) and I could have my neighborhood back it wouldn’t bother me a bit.

I have 20 years experience in managing small publicly owned fleets and from what I have seen the paper work in outsourcing will look good, the reality is they will probably end up spending more. Most private companies don’t intentionally try to rip off the government but it is a very fluid business and there are many factors as to why it works out this way. I’ve typed enough already. Two good people could maintain 125 cars and light trucks without cutting any corners, the larger equipment can be outsourced as hiring a full time experienced technician will be costly. The key is finding good hardworking and honest employees.

5 years is about average turnover for a police cruiser, some large cities only use them 3, cops are rough on vehicles and the cost of maintaining them anytime after that puts the city in the red.

15. Anonymous said on 21 May 2010 at 6:52 am:

The tax rate staying the same is actually very bad for the residents.
    As long as the rate is this high the values will not appreciate at a substantial rae. It is very counterproductive to have a rate so high. Where is the 20 million that was cut going to? assements are the same as last year so who is getting the $20 million? People lost their jobs so what is the logic if not to decrease the rate? I think the rec center is bleeding money and cuts are to support it’s existence. I am very angry about this. The shell game here is another one of Jones crappy strategies that is hurting the city and residents.
    The water system needs a complete overhaul but the city knows can not be afforded at this time and justr trying to bleed it out of residents. What a terrible mess.

16. park'd said on 21 May 2010 at 8:10 am:

I seem to recall that when they were building the rec center that is was supposed to be free for all MP residents. Maybe I am wrong about that? Anyway who in their right mind would pay $8 a day to go there?? $8 is probably a week’s allowance for a 10 year old kid…

Last I checked they didn’t even have a weight/cardio gym in there either which is the only thing that I would be interested in. At $8 a day they could forget it even if they did. I’ll use Gold’s right up the street for a little over $1 a day for that.

As far as what would happen if all the illegals left just take a look at 2007. It caused an epic foreclosure crisis which caused our homes to lose 70+% of their peak values. It also cut the traffic on the roads by more than half. It was so nice to make that commute in 2007 into 2008 after they all left. Now that they are all back, the roads are clogged again and the homes are overcrowded. This time they are all back as renters to the speculators who bought the homes for pennies on the dollar in 2008 and 2009. For whatever reason they all love this town and flock here like it’s some kind of Mecca. Lucky me…

I agree that the 1.65% rate has made this town a statewide laughing stock and has severely hampered our recovery. I knew it would happen when they first advertised it well over a year ago. Add in the fact that we are known DC area-wide as the place where the illegals live and you can forget about RE values coming back any time soon.

17. ... said on 21 May 2010 at 11:34 am:

“For whatever reason they all love this town and flock here like it’s some kind of Mecca.”

Maybe it has something to do with dim-bulb city council members who think that participating in 287G is something akin to the Holocaust.

18. Big Dog said on 21 May 2010 at 1:15 pm:

In the current weekend edition of the Washington Examiner
    newspaper (The one with the front page headline:
    “D.C. teens want bigger condoms - say gov’t handouts small,
    poor quality”) is a a graph that notes the 10 Washington
    area zip codes with the greatest foreclosures in April.

In the PWC area:
    22193 (Woodbridge) - 155
    22192 (Woodbridge) - 112
    22191 (Woodbrige) - 118
    20109 (Westgate) - 78
    20111 (Manassas Park) - 78

Other areas, besides MP, have housing issues, but they are
    part of a much larger jurisdiction - PWC - so they don’t
    impact the whole government structure nearly as much.

And what do those zip codes have in common? Comparatively
    inexpensive housing and a rapid growth in new immigrants.

19. park'd said on 21 May 2010 at 1:40 pm:

The ratios are what is key here. Woodbridge has almost 400 foreclosures but how many total homes does it have to figure out what its foreclosure RATE is? I guarandamntee you that MP has one of the if not THE highest foreclosure rates in the area and the state in general. I have said many times that MP should be declared a federal economic disaster area along with Fort Meyers, Fl. and parts of California and Las Vegas. You always here about them but you NEVER hear about us. Our rate at one time was easily comparable to any other zipcode in the country and yet not a peep in the media about it.

As far as the teens needing bigger condoms - yeah they wish…

20. Big Dog said on 22 May 2010 at 12:02 pm:

First, Manassas Park has many positives including a good
    school system that shows positive results despite financial and
    demographic challenges. I wish MP the best, but question the
    long term business model/plan . They caught the economic wave
    as a defacto land developer with the new eastern section, but
    now it is built out and the revenue stream has diminished, but
    not the cost of services to those new residents. MP recently
    has tried to remedy this by constructing a “town center” to
    attract more commercial, but the economic wave swamped
    them this time. As a norm, jurisdictions attempt to have
    a balanced tax base of 30-40% business, because they
    pay more in taxes than they require in services, while
    residential is more often the reverse - especially when it
    comes to education. And while having the highest RE tax rate in
    Virginia pays the bills today, it is a drag on long term plans.
    A new company will locate down the street in Manassas or
    PWC and save on taxes and utilities.

21. park'd said on 22 May 2010 at 1:49 pm:

Two things kill MP:

1. Everyone knows now that the illegals and section 8 dwellers come here to live because they know they will not be harassed by the police and city govt. Nobody with means or education or anything to add to the community wants to live here now for this very reason. Those of us left who still have something to contribute are looking for a way out.

2. The tax rate is precipitously higher than any other jurisdiction in the state by around 25% last I checked. Good luck luring perspective home buyers or businesses into the city with that rate.

I tried to warn them years ago as did many people. They chose not to listen so here we are…

22. Kris Day said on 23 May 2010 at 5:49 pm:

Hmmm. I’ve been reading the comments here and am very interested to get these perspectives, which sadly mostly reflect poorly upon our newly adopted home of Manassas Park. I will offer you a different perspective - I am gaga about living in Manassas Park and happy to share with you why that is. My husband and I chose the area and moved here last June mostly because we got a lot of house for our money, and the school system is terrific. The VRE is a mile from our home and I love that my husband does not have to fight the traffic every day to get to his job at the Pentagon.

Moreover, we have had four families move in to our immediate neighborhood and these are professional couples with young children, the same ages as our children. There is a small-town atmosphere in Manassas Park that I have not experienced elsewhere living in three other areas of Northern Virginia.

You may disagree with me, but I have a lot of confidence in the professionalism of our Manassas Park police and fire personnel. In the time we have been here I have had to telephone the police on only one occasion because some kids were driving recklessly in our neighborhood. The Manassas Park police post news bulletins and so I knew that the driver was later found and subsequently arrested for possessing marijuana. That was a great response.

When I have had the occasion to write an e-mail to our Assistant Superintendant of schools because I had heard a rumor that our children’s bus route may be cancelled next year, I got a personal phone call from Dr. Ritchie, who assured me that my concerns were quite valid and they would definitely figure into the decision-making process. She welcomed me to call her any time if I should have any other concerns. That was a great response.

Yes, we do pay the highest real estate taxes for Northern Virginia, but we also know we have a very excellent school system and knowing this, many people are willing to pay the difference to live here. Our children will grow up knowing there is one elementary school, one middle school, and one high school. I see a lot of merit in having those close bonds with their peers. As I said, small town atmosphere in Northern Virginia!

I know there are two faces to Manassas Park and we live in that part of MP that is not besieged by illegal immigrants, so I am not able to speak to what it is like to live under those conditions. What I do love about our town is that all MP residents attend the same schools and I know what a great job the schools do in melding a great potpourri of diverse backgrounds and bringing children from all parts of MP to strive for a high degree of excellence. This is my observation since coming here. I am glad that my children have friends of all different economic strata. It has been such a good experience.

Love our neighborhood and our neighbors! We eat together, go to church together and rely on one another. I felt this thread could use some balance by seeing another perspective. As for myself and my neighbors, we’re pleased as punch to live here. If not too many others recognize the merits of MP, then it’ll just have to remain one of the areas best kept secrets for great living in Northern Virginia.

Best wishes to all.

23. park'd said on 23 May 2010 at 6:41 pm:

You live on the east side. Try coming over to the west side. I would be right as rain had I had the foresight to see what would happen 2 years after I bought and purchase instead on the east side. The west side is a freaking nightmare full of illegals and renters of low class. I can’t wait until the day I can flip this town off in the rearview mirror as I fishtail down 28 and hit 2nd gear on my way out of town. I literally have NOTHING but bad things to say about this place. There is nothing good about living here. NOTHING. But hey, I’m glad things are working out for you guys over on the other side of the tracks…

24. Big Dog said on 24 May 2010 at 8:54 am:

Enjoyed reading your post Kris Day. If MP is to succeed in the
    future it will be, in no small part, because of citizens like you.

Manassas Park and Falls Church are both small cities in
    Northern Virginia with almost the same estimated population
    of 11-12,000 people and are, despite large differences in
    average income and housing values, facing many of the
    same challenges - a tax structure based heavily on residential
    real estate and the cost of city services, especially quality
    “boutique” school systems.

FC, with TWO newspapers, the FC News and the FC Times
    (read Man About Town under opinion) is having a very open
    talk about its long term future. They seem to have
    a choice of reverting to either Arlington of Fairfax.

(Of course becoming a town again in PWC is not a sure
    road to happiness - just look at Dumfries).

25. MPnomore said on 24 May 2010 at 9:18 am:

We are already like Dumfries. Canine Grande’.
    Do you now know being we are half we between
    Dum/fries and Man/asses that in MP we are known as Dumasses

Only we are not lucky enough to havfe a decent tax rate to help in the reappreciation of our properties.

Once reappreciation occurs as a result of lowering the tax rate we would be better off. But that will never happen.

26. Kris Day said on 24 May 2010 at 1:16 pm:

Thanks, Big Dog. I’ll look for that discussion you mention in the FC newspapers.

27. Anonymous said on 24 May 2010 at 8:35 pm:

I am stuck in a 150,000 townhome. I would love single family but the terrible values here have destroyed my hopes.
    I was responsible by not spending too much when the bubble was about to burst while others went above their means. While should they get bailed out for not understanding the risk of ARM’s. I know why, greed and the disbelief they could be affected and foreclosed on.
    So what about my chance. You all had your chance now live with the consequences.
    Hate this stupid city.

28. sahdman said on 25 May 2010 at 6:09 am:

I bought on the po’ side of town back in 2008, the neighborhood got better for a while, but, recently while on a walk I noticed that the surrounding streets are getting bad again. Yards unkept, loud music, scary looking dogs. And these investors seem to be fixing the homes up only to rent them to low class people or try to sell them at a price that a nice young family can’t afford especially when you throw that tax rate on them. If it gets any worse and Elvis was still alive he could sing a song about the west side.

29. park'd said on 25 May 2010 at 1:24 pm:

Sorry anon, I am living your pain as well but thankfully my townhouse neighborhood has gotten a LOT better this year than it was the last few years before that. Hopefully it will stay that way *knock on wood*. The illegals are definitely back in FORCE this year along with other miscellaneous low brow renters. There are only 2 ways out of this city my friend:

1. walking away/foreclosure and/or short sale with destroyed credit and possible deficiency judgment.

or

2. Wait 10+ years for the market to return so you can hit par and sell for what you owe.

The east side is still quite nice and clean. The west side in comparison is a slum FILLED with low class undesirables. Such a shame because this used to be such a nice quaint little place…

30. mch said on 25 May 2010 at 2:01 pm:

I agree with Kris, we moved here is 2008 and have enjoyed everything Manassas Park has to offer. It offers a low cost housing and car free commute on the VRE. I like the city’s vision to build housing within walking distance of the train station. It is only a matter of time before businesses occupy the city center.

If people do not like Manassas Park, they should move to PWC or the city of the Manassas to save $300-500 a year. It is disappointing the housing prices are lower than they were is 2008, but that is the choice/risk you take when you make an investment in housing.

31. sahdman said on 25 May 2010 at 2:42 pm:

It must be real nice on the east side of town. Sounds like freaking paradise.

32. park'd said on 25 May 2010 at 4:42 pm:

It is real nice over there sahd. I wouldn’t have a care in the world if I lived there next to nice, decent neighbors that don’t live 15 to a house or have 10 kids, 100 friends coming and going, drop trash all over the place and act a fool. Living on the east side is like living in a nice neighborhood in ffx county. The west side is filled with day laborer hotels and section 8 scumbags who have never worked a day in their lives, all leeching and sucking the taxpayer teat that I help to fill. If you’re on the east side you’re probably wondering what all the fuss over MP is all about. And mch, I would love to move out of here. I, like 75% of the people in this city, am under water. 12 years of equity gains down the drain because of failed immigration enforcement policies. MP is a disaster zone because of the illegals and the banks that gave them loans and no other reason.

33. sahdman said on 25 May 2010 at 8:11 pm:

Park’d I wish some of these people from the east side would come over here and walk around. They might have a new understanding of the mess this city is in.

34. Kris Day said on 26 May 2010 at 3:27 am:

Sahdman and Park’d, in the words of Martha Stewart, HOA’s definitely can be “a very good thing.” They do help keep up neighborhood standards. But come on now, the west side of MP is not the slums, you know. We think it’s actually quite charming. The cape cods are quaint and the houses have character - they’re not cookie cutter like on the east side.

We do have occasion several times during the week to be on your end of town. I’d like to offer this observation but I hope it does not come off as condescending. Rather than bicker about the neighborhood going to crap, keep on taking those walks, smiling at your neighbors and making conversation, even picking up trash if you see some. It will make a difference. Embrace the unique cultural charm of your area. It may not be what you wanted when you moved there but you do have a charming neighborhood on the west side. I would venture to say the area has a particular appeal to Latino families and that may be a very good thing for you when the economy turns around and you are able to sell.

On a little sidenote, we do have renters that live across the street from us, perhaps with questionable papers, but the homeowner is trying her best to keep things nice. We help her out sometimes by keeping her lawn free of trash and bringing her trash cart back to the house. The renters are sometimes outside at night and they see us trying to keep our dogs hushed when we let them go out at night because some people are sleeping. If they see us being courteous, they tend to be courteous as well.

We can’t stop all the trickle-down negative affects of illegal immigration but we can impact it by modeling good citizenship. So I hope you won’t give up on your neighborhood. You can be an important force there.

35. Anonymous said on 26 May 2010 at 9:38 am:

The school has given teachers a 3 day furlough next year.
    If things were so rosy in MP we should not need to do that.
    I will not engage with anone who lives in Blooms on discussions as the views are not realtive of the whole picture. If I lived in blooms and bought my house 10 years ago I would be happy also.

No one can argue that fact that the economy in the City is not good we do not attract business and our tax rate is to blame.
    I could go on what but what is the point. If you want to see proof go drive by City Center. That is worth a bookful.

36. sahdman said on 26 May 2010 at 2:49 pm:

anonoymous 9:38 am
    “I will not engage with anone who lives in Blooms on discussions as the views are not realtive of the whole picture”

I am with you on that point.

37. Big Dog said on 26 May 2010 at 7:10 pm:

A Tale of Two Cities?

38. park'd said on 26 May 2010 at 7:48 pm:

sahdman: I remember you when you first posted here and were new to the city. I told you then what a crap hole it was and to prepare yourself. That must have been what? 2006 or 2007? I could kick myself for not selling summer of 06 like I almost did. Problem was that I couldn’t afford anything else at the time as it was the peak of the market but either way, anywhere else I would have purchased would not be down 70% from peak. Only a few select zipcodes in the ENTIRE country can claim that honor; Manassas Park being one of them. It pi$$es me off that we don’t get more national recognition for how destroyed we were and still are to this day.

39. Brian Leeper said on 27 May 2010 at 3:27 am:

I bought a townhouse just outside Fredericksburg. Not at the peak, thankfully. At the peak, those townhouses were selling for upwards of $210k. Now they are selling for around $70k….which is a little under what I bought mine for.

Fredericksburg is a good rental market, though, and I always had a fixed interest rate loan on that property. I’m making a decent amount on rent. The Spotsylvania Co. Board of Supervisors has only raised my property tax bill there from $600 a year to $900 a year….and that’s in 7 years.

I’m not even going to get into what MP did to my property tax bill in 7 years. It’s obscene.

40. sahdman said on 27 May 2010 at 4:29 am:

park’d it was early 2008 I think I found this blog right after the closing date.

41. legitimateinthepark said on 27 May 2010 at 5:00 am:

My thoughts are as follows: Do you know what keeps the illegal immigrants coming to and living in the Park?

Answer: YOU!
    Bleeding liberals and Staunch conservatives ALIKE are hiring them to perform work on their properties because they’re cheap! I see it all the time! As a LEGITIMATE small business owner in Manassas Park, it really gets my goat that YOUR house cleaners are illegal, YOUR lawn service is illegal, YOUR landscaper is illegal, YOUR pesticide applicator is illegal, YOUR painter is illegal - and the list goes on and on!

Check out your contractors before you hire them! Educate yourself! VA has very specific laws regarding the hiring of contractors. Just because someone says they are licensed doesn’t mean that they are. Ask for their contractor’s license, their pesticide license, the REAL name of their business, check them out with the STATE before you hire them.

Change starts at the lowest level. If you don’t hire them, they will need to go elsewhere!

42. MPnomore said on 27 May 2010 at 8:06 am:

The tax rate is the real problem, not the illegals.
    Fix the tax rate to allign with neighboring jurisdictions and the rest will sort itself out.

1. prop val will rise
    2. more buyers vs renter will occur
    3. more legitamate business will be attracted

WIll the city suffer a lot if we cut the tax rate?
    Yes!, but sometimes you need to cut off the arm to save the whole.
    If counci did not spend so frivolously we would not be in such a poor situation!

Greg, I think with 40+ posts there is a real tension ensuing in MP.
    Hope the egg cracks soon. But will it be sunny side up:-) or scrambled?

43. Brian Leeper said on 27 May 2010 at 9:16 am:

“Ask for their contractor’s license”

44. the other bloomie said on 27 May 2010 at 3:41 pm:

A response to Kris Day:

I, too, live in Blooms Crossing & have been here since 1993 when the first houses were built. From your descriptions (when you moved in, other new neighbors w/young children, dogs). I’m guessing you live in the 9200 block of Matthew Drive on the even numbered side of the street and if that’s correct, then I’m right down the street from you. BTW, thank you for keeping the dogs quiet when taking them out at night - that is appreciated as I’ve heard them during the day and they are loud. :) Please let me share some information with you about this section of the neighborhood from late 2005 until 2009, which is totally different from what you describe. The house across the street that you mention that has “renters with questionable papers” (aka illegal immigrants) was the start of the decline of this section of the neighborhood. There were anywhere from approx. 15 - 25 male renters living in the basement and on/under the deck in warmer months. They had no respect for the neighborhood/neighbors. There were mattresses on the deck, trash all over the yard, the smell of all the garbage piling up, laundry that was done in a “kiddie pool” was hung to dry over the next-door neighbor’s fence, lawn would get over a foot high before someone would cut it, cars were parked everywhere - sometimes on the front lawn. They would urinate in the front yard - in front of women (probably children too), broken shutters, and the list goes on. There were two decent families living on either side of them who moved because of them. Those two houses were then bought and lived in by multiple families that also opened them up to what everyone believed was more illegals. Around that time the house next door to you was also sold from the original owner to a Latino family, who rented their basement to suspected illegal immigrants (anywhere between 10 & 15) who let things get just as bad as the house across the street. Notice all the children out playing now days? Well, you certainly didn’t see that in 2006 - 2008. Have you noticed any of the “Private Property, keep off” signs in some of the yards on your side of the street? The individuals living in these houses would be out at all hours of the day and some would hang out in the woods behind those houses & used those yards as short cuts. The females (including pre-teen girls) were leered at. I was with three other neighbor ladies talking in my front yard during this time, and one of those renters in the house across the street from you drove up in his truck, laid on the horn and yelled in Spanish at us out the window (neither of us said anything to him). We still don’t know what that was about, but one of the gals understood Spanish and what this guy said was very derogatory towards women and I can’t write what was said on here. There was constant, loud salsa music playing - mostly from car stereos, at all hours. This section of the neighborhood was like a ghetto.There were a few who I know of who complained to the city and the homeowner’s association (Community Management Corp. @ the time) about the conditions of the neighborhood the number of individuals living in certain houses. From some I heard that the city couldn’t do anything about it and it was the HOA that handled those issues and the HOA told them it was the city’s responsibility. I know the one person was called a racist, but forget if it was at a city council meeting, someone at City Hall or someone with the HOA. This person was also told that they needed to embrace the culture of their neighbors and to try to see things from their perspective and be a little understanding. Several of us discussed this “racism” issue - it’s only “racist” because the people in the houses in question were all Hispanic. All of us agreed we would not want frat/sorority houses there either. The original owners of your current house originally had it on the market starting in April 2006 until sometime in 2007 and could not sell, due to the conditions surrounding them. They lost 3 sales as a direct result that they know of and it’s believed to be more. Also heard from another neighbor that had a friend who was a realtor who told them that this section of the neighborhood was once desirable, but realtors tried to avoid showing people houses for sale unless specifically requested.

In July of 2007, Prince William County passed a resolution that targeted illegal immigrants by attempting to curb their access to public services and increase the immigration enforcement by local police. Around that same time was the downturn of the housing market, which resulted in foreclosures. I don’t know if it was PWC’s crackdown, the housing market downturn or a combination of both, but in 2008 the two houses on either side of your neighbor across the street, the one next to you and two in the pipe stem were in foreclosure. Many of the renters in the house across from you disappeared & things have quieted down and neatened up over there, however, there are some who are still there as you mentioned. Eventually those foreclosures sold (starting in late 2008, most in 2009) and families started moving in and things started improving. The prior conditions of this section of Blooms are one of the reasons you got “a lot of house” for your money. The house next to you also went for sale last summer. During that time, yours and the other house were the nicest that were available as both previous owners spent a lot of time and money into improvements and both were kept immaculate. One or two of the foreclosed properties were also still on the market, but really needed to be gutted to be inhabitable. I know, I went though one with a realtor and it was in very bad shape in the inside.

Reply to legitimateinthepark - SO TRUE!!! I see it up here all the time. Even those mowing the common areas - has anyone checked their credentials?

This section is now like it used to be. There were a very close group of about 12 families who would get together for cookouts on weekends or just hang out in someone’s yard or front porch. The married couples with children also included included those who were married w/out children, married with grown children living outside the home and singles, with and w/out children. This was a group that could rely on each other if in need. What happened to all those people? Several were military families who were transferred after 2 and 3 years (some of them worked at the Pentagon), others got better opportunities elsewhere, some retired and moved away and some moved because they were smart to get out when they could still get a decent price for their houses. The problem with the illegals started throughout PWC, Manassas, Manassas Park’s west side and also the townhouses in Blooms. In this section of the neighborhood it all started with that one house - across from you. I just hope that it doesn’t start over again. As for the city government itself, that was explained very accurately (and very well) by all the other posters on this board.

45. Brian Leeper said on 27 May 2010 at 4:15 pm:

“The problem with the illegals started throughout PWC, Manassas, Manassas Park’s west side and also the townhouses in Blooms.”

I would add Irongate and Georgetown South to that list. By coincidence, one of my friends who lives in Haverhill used to live in Irongate (across the street from another friend of mine who moved out of Northern VA) and knows all too well what happened there.

46. MPWitch said on 27 May 2010 at 5:06 pm:

To all of you who constantly complain about Manassas Park. Why haven’t you done something to improve your city. Mr. Leeper, I know you have run for city council before, but what have you really done for the city? You must get involved and do some voulenteering and prove you are truely intrested in the city. All you do is complain. Greg, I have no idea why you hate MP so much. Please fill us in.
    There are alternatives if you don’t like it here ………….MOVE! So do something to help the city or put up and shut up!

47. Brian Leeper said on 27 May 2010 at 6:54 pm:

“There are alternatives if you don’t like it here ………….MOVE!”

That’s exactly what people have been doing, as evidenced by voter rolls that show nearly 1000 people dropped off of them between 2008 and 2010. That’s about 20% right there. That should give you pause.

I suspect that you, whomever you are, would love it if I moved. Well, guess what, I’m not going to be moving anytime soon.

“All you do is complain.”

With every complaint there is a problem with a solution. Whether the powers that be want to admit that there’s a problem and implement a solution instead of sticking their heads in the sand like an ostrich and not dealing with it, well, that’s up to them, isn’t it?

Finally, everyone that gets so fed up with MP that they decide to move probably isn’t out there telling everyone how great MP is. I am well aware of the reputation that MP has and has had for years, and the attitude that “if you don’t like it leave” certainly does nothing to help it.

48. Brian Leeper said on 27 May 2010 at 7:00 pm:

While I’m on the subject, it is also a fact that, in Manassas Park, voter turnout has historically been low compared to our peer jurisdictions and there seems to be a large amount of what I can only describe as “civic disengagement”. This is particularly obvious when one goes to a public hearing on something as important as the tax rate or the budget and there are only one or two people who have signed up to speak about it.

I suppose everyone else who might have cared took your sage advice and moved out?

49. Brian Leeper said on 27 May 2010 at 7:02 pm:

In fact, MPWitch, those of us who pay attention and complain are not the problem here. People who do that are necessary for the proper functioning of the type of government we strive for in the USA.

50. Brian Leeper said on 27 May 2010 at 7:04 pm:

It goes without saying that I think we need more of those type of people in MP. It will never get better without them.

51. Anonymous said on 27 May 2010 at 7:26 pm:

Brian, in your defense, you failed to mentioned to the committees you do serve on - I know you serve on them (it’s like planning or zoning or something, right?) I think you do more than complain. I thought maybe MPWitch lumped you in with some of the other commenters who might not be (since they don’t post under there own names, who is to say.) Just a thought.

52. Brian Leeper said on 27 May 2010 at 7:38 pm:

I’m on the Economic Development Authority.

Also, I am (as of 04/10/2010) the chair of the Manassas Park Republican Committee.

53. legitimateinthepark said on 28 May 2010 at 3:36 am:

Reply to Brian Leeper’s question:

“Is it true that Virginia law requires the display of the contractor’s license number on their work vehicles?”

Not that I’m aware of. It is a requirement, however, when bidding a job, that the contractor’s license be included on the bid/contract.

For those who’d like to educate themselves and check on VA’s contractors, please visit the following website: http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/regulantlookup/selection_input.cfm?CFID=1463801&CFTOKEN=33583480

Has anyone ever wondered why a LEGITIMATE BUSINESS CAN’T COMPETE AGAINST A NON-LEGITIMATE BUSINESS?

Answer: OVERHEAD!

We have to pay (this is only a partial list…):

VA State Corporation Dues
    VA State Fertilizer & Lime Dues
    VA Pesticide Business Licensing Dues
    Continuing Education Classes for our Pesticide License
    VA Commercial Pesticide Applicator Dues
    VA DPOR (Contractor Licensing Dues)
    Property Taxes for our Business Equipment/Trucks/Trailers, etc.
    Federal Employee Taxes
    VA State Employee Taxes
    Federal Quarterly Taxes
    VA State Retail Taxes
    Workman’s Comp Insurance
    General Liability Insurance
    Vehicle/Trailer Insurance

Support LEGITIMATE SMALL LOCAL BUSINESSES!

Also, I have to interject a somewhat interesting story.

It’s a Sunday evening, around 6pm or so. Worked all day in my yard, ready to have a glass of wine and dinner in my gazebo out by the pool. Next door, Tommy’s Lawn Service shows up and STARTS to stain my neighbors deck - no big deal, RIGHT? Yeah, except for the fact that they’re spraying the deck using an air compressor. Two hours later, fed up and p’ssd off, I head inside. Unable to enjoy MY hard work. A few days later, same thing. What legitimate business starts working at 6pm? Sure sounds like my neighbor was a priority for Tommy’s Lawn Service (an un-verifiable business to date).

54. Kris Day said on 28 May 2010 at 8:37 am:

To The Other Bloomie: What an interesting post I got to read from you! It is really something to hear how the neighborhood has changed over the years, and now coming around almost full circle to where it was twelve or so years ago.

On one note, I think I can reassure you. I don’t believe you will see the house across the street return to the disaster it was previously. The new homeowner is a very gracious lady and while she is not happy to have to have renters, for the meantime she has to do it. She is a hard-working mom who was a lawyer in her own country of the Dominican Republic, and now a regional manager for a national food distributor. She is going to school as well to get her law degree here.

To Legitimate in the Park: Regarding Tommy’s Lawn Care, we have him cut our lawn regularly. I did inquire with him before we hired him, and he assured me that his workers are legally employed. Actually, it has always been just him and his son doing the work. He also owns a local nail salon, so he is working two jobs, which explains why he is showing up after 6pm to do a deck. I’ve been very happy with his work.

I’ve written to the Virginia Department of Business Assistance to see whether there is any online resource for homeowners to access to discover whether a local vendor is in good standing with their business practices. There should be an easy way for folks to check out their service providers rather than just trust that what they tell us is true.

55. Kris Day said on 28 May 2010 at 9:29 am:

I’m sorry, I just now realized that LegitimateinthePark posted a very handy link to check out contractors’ license. Thank you for that! Excellent. I searched and found Tommy’s Lawn Care. They are licensed and have no complaints filed against them. Cool.

Kris

56. Brian Leeper said on 28 May 2010 at 10:45 am:

“Not that I’m aware of.”

57. park'd said on 28 May 2010 at 3:57 pm:

This is turning into quite a good thread which Greg should sticky on his main page for a while for embarrassment purposes. Maybe Frank and Fran will take a look at how pi$$ed off some of their constituents are. It’s not like either of them ever get a vote from me anyway so whatever. The area has gotten better than it was 3 years ago but better is still a relative term and the amount of illegals moving back here is growing by the day. The amount of white vans with ladders on top parked outside homes at night is a sure indicator of a problem and always tells me when they are back in town. Even with blooms as bad as it was, it is still a picnic compared to the west side.

We got a new management company in my townhouse development and these guys are no joke at all. They keep the grounds clean and the go after deadbeats and take them to court for unpaid fines and dues. The old management company was nothing but a book full of excuses as to why they couldn’t do anything.

58. Brian Leeper said on 28 May 2010 at 4:19 pm:

Park’d, who is your management company? I get the impression that the HOA board where I live is getting fed up with the manager we have.

59. the other bloomie said on 28 May 2010 at 4:35 pm:

To Kris Day,

From what I understand, the woman who owns the house across the street from you has been the same owner since 2004. I believe it was 2004. There was a couple who owned the house prior to the current owner and that was the only time that house had been on sold. The woman who owns the house lived there with her husband for a few months right after she bought it then moved out and basically used it a a boarding house. At one point she was renting to at least 25 male borders who were more than likely illegal immigrants. I was checking MP’s 2010 assessments that were updated this past April and her name is still listed as the current owner of the house, but I’m not going to name drop. I’m pretty sure this owner was also one of the ones who was very vocal in 2007 for the rights of illegal immigrants and a staunch supporter of them, as she had been quoted in the Washington Post’s Prince William Extra section (also with a picture). If it wasn’t her then it was a woman with the same name who had a strong resemblance. Other neighbors who were here at the time said it was her.

My concern is that this residence was “ground zero” for the problems with the illegals we’ve had in the past and according to other posters, MP and surrounding areas are again seeing a problem with illegals moving back in and there could very easily be another increase in the number of renters in that house. As I mentioned earlier, the families in the houses on either side of her house moved because of what was going on at that house and those two houses then became boarding houses for illegals as well. Yes, things have gone “full circle” - almost. The neighborhood is still not what it once was, but I’m not going to go into that.

60. Brian Leeper said on 28 May 2010 at 4:52 pm:

“At one point she was renting to at least 25 male borders who were more than likely illegal immigrants.”

I’m not sure that she would care, but, as a landlord, if you don’t list every name of everyone who lives in the house on the court papers if you have to evict, your case will be delayed and continued if they show up to court and point out that their name isn’t on the paperwork they found on the front door…

61. the other bloomie said on 28 May 2010 at 5:16 pm:

Thanks Brian, I thought there were some guidelines that landlords had to abide by, including a list of names of renters and a ratio of rooms to # of people. There were definitely complaints about the number of individuals in that house (as well as the others) to the city who said there was nothing they could do about it (something to do with proof that these individuals actually resided there) and then referred those who complained to the HOA, who referred them right back to the city. One person I know who complained was referred to as “racists” (forget if it was former HOA or the city) and told they need to be embrace the culture and try to be a little more understanding. After hearing about that, my letter of complaint went straight to the trash.

62. Brian Leeper said on 28 May 2010 at 6:17 pm:

There are guidelines that the astute landlord will abide by, simply because they make business sense, but there is nothing that I am aware of which limits the number of people that may live in a property other than the building codes and those limits are very high.

A professionally-managed property will typically allow only 2 people per bedroom and will require all tenants to be listed on the lease.

The key phrase there is “professionally managed”.

63. Out of money said on 28 May 2010 at 6:59 pm:

That Fran is one snooty patootie, I would not vote for her either, never have.
    Does anyone know what new faces are runnning for council this year?

64. sahdman said on 28 May 2010 at 7:35 pm:

the other bloomie: “One person I know who complained was referred to as “racists” (forget if it was former HOA or the city) and told they need to be embrace the culture and try to be a little more understanding.”

Kris Day said the same thing

Kris Day said on 26 May 2010 at 3:27am “Embrace the unique cultural charm of your area.”

Brian are you going to run again?

65. Anonymous said on 28 May 2010 at 8:09 pm:

I signed a petition for someone named Preston Banks last weekend. Nice man. Don’t know if I will vote for him in the general election - I need to learn more about him - but I welcome him running.

66. park'd said on 30 May 2010 at 9:05 am:

I simply haven’t run for office because the proverbial ship that is Manassas Park sailed about 3 years ago and I don’t want my name associated with what is to come. In fact, I want the crew that is in there now, and who were greatly responsible for where we are now to take the full blame for the inevitable outcome. I am just simply biding my time until I can sell for what I owe. I may rent out the house for a few years or I may try and tough it out or if I get a wild hair from too much abuse from my neighbors then I may just short sell or walk away. I am keeping ALL of my options open for the immediate future. I applaud those of you who think that you can nurse this city back to health but imo that is akin to nursing a terminal cancer patient. About the best you can hope for is making the last few days as painless and as comfortable as possible.

67. irked said on 30 May 2010 at 2:24 pm:

Sorry to interject, however, this is great information! Thanks to ‘legitimateinthepark’ for posting the link to verify licensed contractors - much appreciated!

@ Kris…
    I think you’ve got the wrong company! I wanted to check them out too. From what I’ve found, the contractor you’ve identified is Tom’s Lawn Service in New Kent, VA - don’t think this guy is going to service our little area of Manassas considering he is 3 hours away!

‘Tommy’s Lawn Service’ that hustles for work in Bloom’s Crossing is not licensed by the state as a contractor, nor are they listed in the VA State Corporation Commission’s business filings. Unless they have another business name, looks like they may be operating illegally. And, the one you identified - well, his license expires 5/31. Further, the phone number of ‘Tommy’s Lawn Service’ is an unverifiable cell phone. Not someone I’d want to do business with. Sorry :- (

68. legitimateinthepark said on 30 May 2010 at 7:47 pm:

To Kris: “He also owns a local nail salon, so he is working two jobs, which explains why he is showing up after 6pm to do a deck. I’ve been very happy with his work.”

Reply: He should read the Manassas Park noise ordinance. My colleagues and I have not been able to confirm that he is running a legitimate business. To your point that he also has a nail salon- good for him! I love the entrepreneurial spirit. Just don’t come and do work in the Park on a Sunday evening or any other evening and disturb the rest of us- without a contractor’s, business, or any other appropriate license. BTW, he gets hurt on YOUR property - you’re responsible. Not the other way around. Good Luck!

To Brian Leeper: “That there is a requirement that the license number be posted on the truck is something I’ve heard from someone that I consider to be a reliable source of information, but I have never verified it.”

Reply: I’ve just confirmed through my Contractor Regulation Handbook that having the contractor’s license identified on a company vehicle is not a requirement or law. Hope this helps.

69. Anonymous said on 30 May 2010 at 10:24 pm:

Whatever happened to high schoolers cutting your grass and doing it well? Made life a lot easier…

70. anon said on 31 May 2010 at 5:59 am:

Kid’s are too lazy and unsocialized these days. Video games, Internet, & TV control their world.

71. fyreman1 said on 31 May 2010 at 5:54 pm:

I will also confirm what legitimateinthepark said, contractor’s license number on the vehicle is definitely not required.

72. MPCinsider said on 1 Jun 2010 at 7:33 am:

By reading some of the comment I have seen I know for sure what is coming from June to the end of this year.

Rec Center is shutting down for a week
    School is furloughing for 3 days before Thanksgiving
    4th July will be at the city center (parking $5). This is to attract business to the city center (never happen only one business is there). They may have fireworks but I can tell you that it may be a big stretch. Maybe at signal hill or at city center. My guess would be signal hill and charge for parking there as well.
    The park is bleeding money at a faster pace than previously thought. So be prepared for that. I wish they would get their act together before it is too late. Oh wait it is too late. Oh well I hope everyone enjoys the 4th of July celebration.
    On a final note I need people to pressure the higher ups about how the Rec center is accounting for pass payments. Maybe it is time to shake that tree. Also how come people still send their children to extend care and preschool at the rec center without being current on payments?

73. Kris Day said on 1 Jun 2010 at 8:40 am:

It’s been an interesting discussion. Here’s the timely response I got back from the Virginia Department of Business Services regarding whether Tommy’s Lawn Care is a legitimate licensed operator in VA:

Kris,
    Thanks for your email to the Virginia Business Information Center.

Lawn care services in Virginia are not required to obtain a state contractor’s license, however, if their city or county requires it, they would require a local business license. The Commissioner of Revenue or Department of Finance for the city/county where the business is located can let you know whether or not they have that license.

Hope that helps,

So, I’m not sure what Manassas Park requires but so far, looks like Tommy is still on the right side of the law.

Kris

74. sahdman said on 1 Jun 2010 at 12:09 pm:

In case you haven’t checked the rates to get season passes to the pools. The rates are to high for me, I just want to take my kids to signal bay on slow days during the summer.

75. justthefactsman said on 1 Jun 2010 at 12:17 pm:

Sorry, Kris…but, you didn’t ask the right question to the state. A company that does ONLY lawn mowing is not required to have a contracto’s license, but must have a business license and must be registered with the state as a corporation or LLC.

A company that provides services to improve “any real property” is required to have a contractor’s license.

Here’s an excerpt from the VA Contractor’s Board:

“Contractor” means any person, that for a fixed price, commission, fee, or percentage undertakes to bid upon, or accepts, or offers to accept, orders or contracts for performing, managing, or superintending in whole or in part, the construction, removal, repair or improvement of any building or structure permanently annexed to real property owned, controlled, or leased by him or another person or any other improvements to such real property.

“Specialty contractors” means those individuals whose contracts are for specialty services which do not generally
    fall within the scope of any other classification within this chapter.

18 VAC 50-22-30. Definitions of specialty services.

“Landscape service contracting” (Abbr: LSC) means that service which provides for the alteration or
    improvement of a land area not related to any other classification or service activity by means of excavation,
    clearing, grading, construction of retaining walls for landscaping purposes, or placement of landscaping timbers.
    The BLD classification also provides for this function.

“Home improvement contracting” (Abbr: HIC) means that service which provides for repairs or improvements to
    one-family and two-family residential buildings or structures annexed to real property. The BLD classification also
    provides for this function. The HIC specialty does not provide for electrical, plumbing, HVAC, or gas fitting
    functions. It does not include high rise buildings, buildings with more than two dwelling units, or new construction
    functions beyond the existing building structure other than decks, patios, driveways and utility out buildings.

“Painting and wallcovering contracting” (Abbr: PTC) means that service which provides for the application
    of materials common to the painting and decorating industry for protective or decorative purposes, the
    installation of surface coverings such as vinyls, wall papers, and cloth fabrics. This includes surface
    preparation, caulking, sanding and cleaning preparatory to painting or coverings and includes both interior and
    exterior surfaces. The BLD classification and the HIC and CIC specialties also provide for this function.

Therefore, the company in question IS in violation of the VA Contractor’s Board and the law as they perform painting, staining, and landscaping from what I’ve read in the posts above. I have no idea what else they do.

Here’s what I’ve found out from reading the posts and conducting my own quasi investigation of the company identified in the above posts…

1. Not registered with the state. If not registered with the state, then can’t be registered by the county or city, if applicable. No formal or informal (ficticious name) on file with the state. Therefore, not paying taxes - likely.

2. No valid contractor’s license

3. No valid pesticide license - confirmed with office of pesticide services - in other words, can’t apply ANYTHING to your lawn!

In other words, this company is not a legal business and IS taking away work from the LEGAL businesses in this area.

76. MPCinsider said on 1 Jun 2010 at 1:18 pm:

Hey sahdman

if you look at these rates Splshdown maybe a better fit for a season pass for 4 people.

Splashdown is bigger than Signal Hill.

77. sahdman said on 1 Jun 2010 at 3:18 pm:

MPCinsider
    Thanks, I think that might be a better fit for my family.

78. Anon said on 1 Jun 2010 at 8:36 pm:

I watch all the school board meetings and I haven’t heard this:

Where did you hear that?

79. MPCinsider said on 2 Jun 2010 at 6:32 am:

” Anon said on 1 Jun 2010 at 8:36 pm:

I watch all the school board meetings and I haven’t heard this:

“The school is cutting bus routes in blooms ( Meaning kids walking to school on the school side of blooms).” ”

Talking with bus drivers and officials. The buses over in blooms are not full maybe 25 to 30 kids. On the other side of town buses are full to the brim. It is not cost effective to run buses over at blooms (cost of driver, and bus). If you eliminate 3 buses then you save over $40k a year, plus the school board was required by the city council to cut more from their budget hence no more bus routes. You have to understand this city is bleeding money at a faster rate than they can get revenue. That is one of the reasons why the real estate taxes did not go up. People complain to the higher ups and that froze the budget for next year.

I can tell you for sure more changes are coming. I don’t see a big turnout for the 4th July celebration if the hold it at the city center and charge $5 (Even though the rec center website says signal hill). The move to the city center was to let vendors see the retail space that is available to them. I don’t see any business moving into that center since traffic is only during the week. On the weekend businesses along Liberia is busy. Besides banks will not approve business loan if there a change of no foot traffic. In Bus 101 one must look at how to get revenue and with no traffic on the weekend means a lot for a business.

The city cannot account for missing money that people have not paid (membership, extended care, and preschool) there is thousands of dollar not collected and it is getting worse with people losing their jobs. The rec center is going to be a big drain on the budget after the school system. The cost of the rec center sitting idle runs into the hundreds of dollars each week (employee cost, and utilities). Sure they do have rental for their community center but not all the rec center is not being used 10 hours a day 7 days a week then you are losing money. The cost of running the pumps on the pool is a lot during the day with no on using it.

Look I can go on and on about how the city is bleeding money, but I can see when rats start jump a sink ship also. Look for more cuts from every department in the city and times that by two for the school system. That is the only way so slow down the bleeding, but it won’t stop it. The city will start running in the red by December of this year and will not recover. The economy will not recover for another 5 years and home prices will be stagnant during that period.

80. Anonymous said on 3 Jun 2010 at 6:43 am:

This thread is about done but lets try to get something useful here.
    What do you all think the tax rate in MP should be?
    Just state a rate. no long reasonings just throw some numbers out please.

81. anon said on 3 Jun 2010 at 7:08 am:

50% of what it is right now.

82. park'd said on 3 Jun 2010 at 7:15 am:

Of course the buses are full on the west side. They are full of illegals’ children and section 8 kids. I happened to be on the east side this week and it is beautiful over there. Looks like Centreville. The people look like Americans and not 3rd worlders riding around on bikes or pushing taco carts. This really is a tale of two cities in MP. The west side is killing the city and gee I wonder why that is? For the same reason that we told Fran back in 2007 but she wasn’t listening then. I hate being right all the time…

83. park'd said on 3 Jun 2010 at 7:19 am:

Also, it’s not so much the rate that concerns me now as it is the UNPRECEDENTED drop in property values that this city has endured. You will find maybe 5 zipcodes in the ENTIRE country that have dropped as much as we have and those would all be in California, Nevada and Florida. Manassas Park really should be front and center in the mainstream media for this distinction yet it isn’t. Even with the rate at 1.65% my taxes are still $1200 a year less than they were in 2007. I really just want out of this city ASAP. Nothing at this point could convince me to stay here.

84. MPCinsider said on 3 Jun 2010 at 8:17 am:

Hey park’d there are kids over in the old section who are not section 8 or illegals’. Their parents chose to live there and for the most part they are great kids and I mean all the kids. I seen both sides of the town the older section needs help BAD!! But the city has refused to clean up that part of town. It is sad when you drive down Manassas Drive and see a burned out house and vacant houses along that stretch. There is no hope for this city and it will turn into the Titanic before long. I know of four hire-ups that are looking for jobs elsewhere with another two pondering the same move. If they are leaving what does that tell you about the financial shape the city is in. Make you wonder if they know exactly how much money is in the coffer at any given point in the near future.

85. MPCinsider said on 4 Jun 2010 at 6:04 am:

It seems the Higher up at MP told the Journal messenger to shut down the comments for this article.

86. MPCinsider said on 4 Jun 2010 at 6:07 am:

I have tried a few other new article on the website and I try to post an have found the posting comments working. Strange can anyone verify that?

87. IdiotJones said on 4 Jun 2010 at 6:41 am:

Here is a perfect example of stupidity. Why not take the nearly $300,000 for this lane and bring back laid off employees, that would cover about a year of the 13 laid off in February. What are they thinking!
    Build the lane when the economy improves.
    Just because the price is cheaper on the BID now is not a good decision at all!
    Man I’M Done! I have so many cuss words running in my mind I think I better just hit submit and say them out loud to myself.

88. sahdman said on 4 Jun 2010 at 8:36 pm:

We do need a turn lane there.

89. Anonymous said on 6 Jun 2010 at 7:41 am:

sahdman,
    So what if we need a turn lane there. Yes we do.
    But what is more important? A 100 yard road improvement to make things a bit easier there ot the welfare of 13 families and their children affected by the layoffs that occured recently?
    Survival and well being of families should always be the first concerns over the convenience of people. But hey I am a humanintarian not a Republican.

90. sahdman said on 6 Jun 2010 at 8:51 pm:

What about the people working for the paving company? If they were doing so good they wouldn’t be bidding this job so low. What about their families? Are they less important?

A conservative is a liberal who got mugged.

91. mpcinsider said on 7 Jun 2010 at 6:08 am:

I think MP Rec Center is losing money here is some figures to chew on

Money coming into the Rec Center.

income pay/month by hour # of hours total
    rental 1 $0.00 $200.00 1.00 $200.00

part time 4 $16,000.00 $1,333.33 $333.33 $44.44
    Total $728,006.00 $60,667.17 $15,166.79 $2,022.24

Income Expense Total
    total mon $42,800.00 $60,667.17 -$17,867.17
    total week $10,700.00 $15,166.79 -$4,466.79
    total day $1,426.67 $2,022.24 -$595.57

I see moeny is bleeding from the rec center.

92. mpcinsider said on 7 Jun 2010 at 6:09 am:

here some thing to chew on. Expenses

postion pay by year pay/month by week by day
    part time 1 $16,000.00 $1,333.33 $333.33 $44.44
    part time 2 $16,000.00 $1,333.33 $333.33 $44.44
    part time 3 $16,000.00 $1,333.33 $333.33 $44.44
    part time 4 $16,000.00 $1,333.33 $333.33 $44.44
    $728,006.00 $60,667.17 $15,166.79 $2,022.24

93. mpcinsider said on 7 Jun 2010 at 6:10 am:

here is some figures to chew on

Income Expense Total

Swimming $3,000.00
    Ext $4,000.00
    pre $2,000.00
    Mem $4,000.00
    Camps $5,000.00

99. mpcinsider said on 7 Jun 2010 at 6:15 am:

These figures are for the rec Center above are as close as I can figure without looking directly into the system. Remember every Expense and Income are estimate, but I am sure they are within %15+-. Enjoy your week.

100. mpcinsider said on 7 Jun 2010 at 6:16 am:

Preschool $20,000.00
    part time 1 $16,000.00
    part time 2 $16,000.00
    part time 3 $16,000.00
    part time 4 $16,000.00

103. sahdman said on 7 Jun 2010 at 6:52 am:

Wouldn’t be cheaper to drain the pool turn off the lights and chain and lock the doors?

104. mpcinsider1 said on 7 Jun 2010 at 7:14 am:

Preschool $20,000.00
    part time 1 $16,000.00
    part time 2 $16,000.00
    part time 3 $16,000.00
    part time 4 $16,000.00

108. Anonymous said on 7 Jun 2010 at 8:02 am:

that is all intersting, what hoes mayor and council members earn?

109. mpcinsider said on 7 Jun 2010 at 8:50 am:

They don’t earn much a lot less then city Manager.
    BTW here is the Rec Center expense part 3 sorry can’t post everything at once.

Postion pay by year
    Preschool $20,000.00
    part time 1 $16,000.00
    part time 2 $16,000.00
    part time 3 $16,000.00
    part time 4 $16,000.00

110. mpcinsider said on 7 Jun 2010 at 9:07 am:

Their salaries are a lot less then City Manager.

111. mpcinsider said on 7 Jun 2010 at 10:26 am:

Sorry for multi posts of reaccurring data. :(

112. Anonymous said on 7 Jun 2010 at 10:39 am:

What does the mayor and council earn? Maybe they should forego salary next year.

113. mpcinsider said on 8 Jun 2010 at 5:52 am:

The mayor make around $7620 and council members make $7020. That is winthin %15 +-.

So that could mean that if the city council members and the mayor forgo their salaries that may close the budget gap further.

114. mpcinsider said on 10 Jun 2010 at 7:27 am:

4th july is being held at the City center this year 5pm-10pm this means that you must either pay $5 to park at city hall or $10 at city center. So either way people who are having plans at Signal Hill and think they are going watch the fireworks are going to be screwed.

115. sahdman said on 10 Jun 2010 at 8:07 am:

Wild animal at Signal Hill

116. Frank Lynn said on 12 Jun 2010 at 9:43 pm:

Hey mpcinsider - you stated “I think MP Rec Center is losing money here is some figures to chew on”. You know what I think…I think the MP Police Dept, the MP Fire Dept, the MP Public Works Dept, are all losing money. Worst yet, those departments don’t even generate any money. So the salaries and benefits and utilities for their buildings are all lost money. You see how silly your argument about the Rec Center losing money is. Government is not and should not be in the business of “making money”. The money that comes from Rec Center operations is used to offset our hard earned tax dollars. If the Rec Center was free to all, then guess what, your taxes would be higher. Besides, look around to the other counties and cities. They, too, charge a fee to their residents to enter the recreation buildings. Pay attention.

You state “These figures are for the rec Center above are as close as I can figure without looking directly into the system. Remember every Expense and Income are estimate, but I am sure they are within %15+-.” Why not take the time and request the actual data so you can at least be more accurate when you attempt to make an argument. I want to believe you, but I can’t because, basically, you are so wrong.

117. Brian Leeper said on 13 Jun 2010 at 9:37 am:

We were told that the Rec Center would pay for itself through usage fees.

I don’t recall any such promises ever being made about police, fire, or the public works department.

118. Brian Leeper said on 13 Jun 2010 at 9:46 am:

“Brian are you going to run again?”

Yes, I am. The paperwork has been filed.

119. mpcinsider said on 14 Jun 2010 at 5:55 am:

Brain you will have my vote. Now I can wrangle some of the Hispanic votes if you want them. I know of legal citizens in the older section who wants a better life for their kids and I believe the MP schools can deliver.

Also Brian on the Rec center question. You are correct. Catherine stood up in meeting and state that the rec center will support itself. I have heard it time and time again. There are three main sources of money that the rec center has right now (rentals (good but not great, not everything is rented out), Extend care/preschool programs (camps/child care), and last membership (dwindling)).

Now lets take a look at the three right now.

Rentals: Renting out the Gym or community center or rooms. The gym get rented out to the men basketball league so that is being using only one night a week. The community center is being used Friday thru Sunday. 5 to 6 rental a weekend for an average of 2-3 hours of use. The other parts of the rec center are hardly ever rented out.

Extend care/preschool: Now that the school will be out this week and the floors are being redone (contractor screwed up). The camps are po start within two weeks. Hardly any kid has signed up for either extend care or preschool camps. Which mean at least 6 rec employees are being paid to sit around doing nothing. Now the child care has a group of kids (20-30) for all day babysitting and that will be 2 leaders and 2 volunteers. Leaving 3 more employees sitting around doing nothing.

membership: One word “dwindling”. After to pay for your membership if you want to take extra classes you have to pay more. The Freedom center offers more for less.

Now for the 4th of July celebration. No one at the rec center has signed up to help out. The 4th of July celebration is being held at the City center this year 5pm-10pm this means that you must either pay $5 to park at city hall or $10 at city center. So either way people who are having plans at Signal Hill and think they are going watch the fireworks are going to be screwed.

But wait there is more. MP Higher ups are trying to lure business to the now empty city center. Using everyone who goes to the celebration as bait. They are hoping for a big turn out this year.

Any question please refer to the Mayor. He want to hear from you. LOL!!

120. MPresident said on 15 Jun 2010 at 6:30 am:

The recent news is the rec center is closed next week for “routine maintenence” How is that possible after only 5 months?

121. sahdman said on 15 Jun 2010 at 7:37 am:

That makes sense, the first full week of summer and the pool is closed.

122. mpcinsider said on 15 Jun 2010 at 7:43 am:

That is a good question. It happen when there was a rush to quickly open the rec center. The flooring was somehow messed up and the contractor has to repair it. Now would it make sense to do this at night while no one used the place. The rec center employee must still report to work, but no revenue will be genrated during that time. This place will be the biggest money pit for the park. It will never support itself as it was stated by it’s director. Maybe she should resign along with her deputy for failure of turning a profit which that the director had projected before and while the place was being built. I think we need to pressure the city manager on removing those who promised revenue and fell way short of the goal.

123. mpcinsider said on 15 Jun 2010 at 8:05 am:

Hey sahdman,

The rec center pool does have life guards on duty but will be closed next week. That pool area is about a 1/4 size of the freedom center.

124. mpcinsider said on 15 Jun 2010 at 8:08 am:

Also nowhere on any of MP website does states that it will be closed. What a bunch of losers!! Great job Director maybe you should get an award from the city for the best run department. NOT!!!

125. Anonymous said on 16 Jun 2010 at 5:16 pm:

Are there any other Republicans besides Brian Leeper running for the Governing Board?

126. park'd said on 16 Jun 2010 at 7:59 pm:

OMG they are closed the week that school gets out? Epic fail! They should be MAKING the contractor work nights to fix this. *epic face palm*

I am convinced that the management of the entire country has taken loss of its senses; from feds to states to cities.

Kudos on the choice to run with those vipers again Brian. You will of course get my vote again and I will pray for your well-being and safety if you win. It seems to me that anyone who is of honest character on that board has a higher than average tendency to fall prey to scandal, resignation or some other type of mishap. It might also behoove you to take a deeper peek into the city’s finances if possible to see IF they may run out of money during your tenure. If so then no need to associate your name with something like that and have it happen on your watch. I know they have to be hurting with property values here in the top 10 nationwide for hardest hit.

127. mpmomx3 said on 6 Aug 2010 at 4:34 pm:

well its been awhile since i have gotten on here but… lets start with i have lived in mp for 20 years by choice and on the west side! I have raised 3 children here, and happen to love my city but with that said there are alot of problems.
    I volunteered in mp schools since my first started at IES and till this past June when my last graduated. this was a way to help out and also stay intuned to what is going on in our schools. I’m not sure if anyone has thought to volunteer alittle and also go to city meetings - get heard.
    Look I have sat on my soap box and bitched with husband and or friends, but now realize we just have to dig in to fix some of our issues and it Will get better.
    I like knowing my neighbors, and police officers, and fire dept., school teachers, school admin., city workers….. these are some of the nice things of living in a small town.
    we need to work on things that seem to have gotten out of control. kids having to pay to make copies of a paper at school, school superintendant salary( was in the paper and toatlly ridiculous!) un needed positions through out the city, in almost all depts. everywhere from city hall to parks and rec.
    our police, fire and rescue and our teachers leaving and going else where due to salary issues!
    as far as the illegals in the park well pwc does have a similar ordinance as arizona. and perhaps our mppd should be on the wagon but that might keep them busier then our little dept can handle. don’t know but some thing somewhere and everywhere must change.
    MP I THINK ITS TIME TO DO ALITTLE SPRING CLEANING!
    in all depts and areas - we just seem to need fresh eyes to see what needs to be done and then ideas will come.
    I guess its time to get off the bench people ( no worries, me too! )

128. truthtalker said on 6 Aug 2010 at 6:26 pm:

The Deputy Director should have to resign her position because her husband is on the City Council. It is a conflict of interest. Nothing will ever change. The Director is too close to the Deputy Director and they are not professional. They have a contract for marketing that the City could do themselves. The Parks and Recreation department will never succeed with its current staff. The secretary is the one that leaks all the information to you. She doesn’t even know what she’s talking about. Its time for the voters to wise up–elect a new council and Mayor and get rid of the City Manager. Only with fresh blood will your city improve.

129. BigearsBiggermouth said on 4 Sep 2010 at 12:07 pm:

All this is good but someone needs to look at the school board and their transportation department. You wanna talk about blowing money and not having nothing to show for it. I would like the unfairness between the people in transportation to be fixed. We got people running transportation that need to be checked.

130. BigearsBiggermouth said on 4 Sep 2010 at 12:10 pm:

We have an elected official; quote taking care of the budget but when something goes wrong or needs to be done it is the people working for her that have to do the work. It makes me wonder if she was really elected or is it infact that her husband is the fire chief. I know children who can tell someone else to do the work. We need to take a closer look at the department.

131. wornoutandmad!!! said on 4 Sep 2010 at 12:15 pm:

You know I moved back to the “park” after several years and I can say that I am personally embarassed with the way it has changed over the years. I feel like I need a passport to go to the park cause of all the illegals. It use to be a great place to live and now I can’t even stand to vistit.

132. FrauD said on 13 Jan 2011 at 11:19 am:

Rumor has it that Councilman Leeper is ready to re-visit local housing laws with Richmond. Hoping for a better outcome, this time around.

Be sure to let him and the rest of our governing body know how much this would mean to the residents of Manassas Park.