GMU Offers Up A Whopper

By Greg L | 9 June 2010 | Prince William County | 44 Comments

The folks behind the group at George Mason University have come out with a new “study”, and not too surprisingly it “concludes” that efforts to address the impacts of illegal immigration in Prince William County cause “immigrants” to “live in fear” and harms the employment opportunities for undocumented workers.  I think they drew the wrong conclusion.  The right conclusion is that the taxpayer dollars in Virginia used to support things like the GMU Project on Immigration are utterly wasted.  We’d get more value lighting dollar bills on fire and throwing them out of a window, as at least that could be amusing for a minute or so.

Never mind that this “study” was conducted without any intention of being scientifically valid, heck, it wasn’t even conducted in Prince William County.  This work by Associate Professor Debra Shutika (a “folklorist” and “ethnographer” she claims, although her discipline is English) is a sobering indictment of modern publicly-supported higher education.  You and I help pay this lunatic’s salary so she can indoctrinate young folks with her own special brand of delusion, and that’s putting it a little mild folks.

But you be the judge.  You can read her voluminous rantings yourself, courtesy of her own blog entitled “The Gringa”.  It’s a daily testament to her utter obsession with the idea that illegal aliens must be granted amnesty, that sanctuary cities must be protected, and that anyone who opposes illegal immigration is nothing but a racist deathly afraid of “brown people.”  She posts nothing but stories calling for amnesty for illegal aliens and calling people racist, for days and months on end.  There’s nothing else there.

Here are a few snippets for you:

So, if gringos had to pay an equivalent fee to reside in Mexico to what Mexicans pay in the United States, the schedule would look like this:

The fee for standing in line: $ 1,500 USD
Working residency permit:  $ 8,200 USD
Monthly income requirement for retirees:   $12,500 USD
Fees for normal residency card:  $60,000 USD
Suggesting whiny gringos shut the fuck up:    PRICELESS!

and this:

It’s simple: it’s obvious that the folks fighting immigration and all of the other alleged social “ills” that are defining the American that’s becoming are part of an agenda that’s dying.  Literally.  Within 30 years, who do these people think are going to be voting?  Are they daft enough to truly believe that immigrants and their native-born children are truly going to be pushed back to their ancestral homelands?

Perhaps they do.  For now I’m content allowing them to have their little fantasy of white America.  But that’s not the America of today or tomorrow.  It’s gone. And in the next few decades when these immigrant, gay and otherwise marginalized groups come of age and start voting, who do you think they’re going to vote for?

Now I can accept that maybe not every professor there is going to agree with me.  That’s fine.  What’s a little hard to accept is some English professor with no academic credentials in public policy and whose rather evident political perspective lies somewhere between Saul Alinsky and Leon Trotsky — and a self loathing racist to boot — is going to be given free rein to run “migration projects” partly with our money.  Ask the “project on migration” types at GMU about the diversity they’re providing to students, the academic rigor they’re using to produce studies about one jurisdiction that are entirely conducted in a different jurisdiction, and whether they provide any balance of perspective at all in their academic work, and you’ll get nothing but blank stares.

Golly, that might actually require folks to engage in pursuits you could describe as “academic” rather than “applying rules for radicals.”  But it would break with their history of soliciting funding for Islamic Studies programs from terrorist-tainted organizations, promoting radical political ideologies in the classroom, and celebrating the New Whore Order.  There’s a tradition going on here. A tradition of subverting academic goals for political ones, and we can’t mess with that.

GMU, at least at the Manassas campus, is entirely out of control.

1. Tom Skypek said on 9 Jun 2010 at 8:49 pm:

I don’t even really know what to say about this one; between the folklore, her blog, and the shoddy scholarship, I’m almost speechless. This really turns the stomach. I can’t believe that my tax dollars support this woman. No intellectual honesty or, as you said, analytical rigor. It’s not analysis. Unfortunately, this woman is yet another reminder of how the left in this country owns academia. If she loves Mexico so much, she should really consider moving there.

2. Anonymous said on 9 Jun 2010 at 10:32 pm:

“The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has issued a 47-page bureaucratic plan for the “Reinvention of Journalism” that outlines a series of taxes that would stifle free speech and silence conservatives.

MRC’s Vice President for Business and Culture, Dan Gainor, who helped break this shocking story, says the report contains the word “tax” 95 times and is part of “an extensive attempt by the Obama Administration to seize control of the press.”

And the conservative media are directly in the crosshairs of the Obama team. The FTC paper includes…

* A “Drudge Tax” on news aggregators like The Drudge Report who stand on the front lines of the struggle to expose the Leftist agenda.

* A “journalism division” of AmeriCorps — forcing taxpayers to pay the Obama Administration to train up the next generation of liberal journalists!

* A direct Journalism Bailout fund to “help pay the salary of every journalist” — YOU AND I will be forced to fund the liberal media!

* A 5% tax on consumer electronics (like the iPad)

* Possible taxes on cell phones, television and radio that would all be part of a massive $35 billion “Citizenship Media Fund”

This new FTC document combined with the FCC’s moves to impose a “Fairness Doctrine” pose an ominous threat to conservative speech that would empower the Obama administration to control the dissemination of information while imposing punitive taxes on ideological opponents. ”

3. Patty said on 10 Jun 2010 at 7:27 am:

George Johnson was a much better president than Merten. Merten is just riding the wave of Jim Larranaga and the GMU men’s basketball team.

Merten could care less about how our tax dollars are being spent.

Just my opinion.

4. geezlouise said on 10 Jun 2010 at 7:56 am:

I wonder, does the vice squad strike fear into the hearts of pimps and prostitutes? Does homicide strike fear into the hearts of murderers?
    Does the FBI strike fear into the hearts of corrupt politicians - ok, maybe not so much - but I have made my point.

All these groups exist to target crime.

Illegal aliens are criminals.

Now, can I have tenure and a big fat paycheck for life?????

5. Jack said on 10 Jun 2010 at 8:18 am:

I “live in fear” too because of our illegal immigration policy. Everyday I fear that my tax dollars are distributed to law breakers. I also fear the rapidly decreasing quality of life in areas with high illegal immigrant populations and loss of jobs for my fellow Americans and legal immigrants.

Also, the word Gringo is racist. So the irony of someone using a racist word to describe those they believe are racist is just too much.

6. Citizen12 said on 10 Jun 2010 at 10:04 am:

I enjoyed the way Cory Stewart shredded her “study” in the article. Too bad it could not be included in the campus news paper as well.

Debra Shutika should have stuck with nursing as that would actually deliver something of value to the world around her.

In the case of Shutika, as well as Professor Gates in Cambridge and others, we are left wondering how in the world they got where they are, and what benefit they actually bring to the table. It would seem they just lucked out and get to bounce around dabbling in things that interest them at the expense of others.

Just like the Nancy Pelosi plan for the rest of us. Socialist utopia.

7. American Veteran said on 10 Jun 2010 at 10:21 am:

Social science departments are notorious for wasting money on ill-conceived research projects. If it is an educational experience for undergrads, keep the outcome “in house.” GMU should rethink publishing project results that have either a liberal or conservative construct in their design.

As for any publically-funded institution that enables the continuation of the illegal alien army of occupation, well, the public will have an opportunity to review public funds going to such a public institution.

American society, sovereignty and Constitutional law are under direct attack from endless waves of illegals (yes, the word is “illegals”) draining our resources and public treasuries at every level of government. GMU “feeds” at the same public treasury that is forced to support illegal aliens in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Perhaps university administrators, boards of regents, and faculty should reconsider just where their funding comes from. It isn’t from the illegals.

8. Cynic said on 10 Jun 2010 at 10:25 am:

PWC policies do this? - Cause the scum illegals to ” live in fear” and harms the employment opportunities for undocumented workers.

Great, Great. Keep up the good work.

9. cynic said on 10 Jun 2010 at 10:53 am:

Over on moonhowlings they are trying to paint Shutika as an impartial scholar - apparently they have not read any of her blog. It is laughable their futile attempts to hold her and her study as being objective!

10. virusc said on 10 Jun 2010 at 11:09 am:

who cares if they live in fear. If I ran to another country to work / live and was illegal I would live in fear too and would expect to do so. That is the point, to not make them think being illegal and breaking law is OK. We should make them feel unwelcome like my ancestors so that they assimilate into our society (not theirs) and gain respect the correct way.

11. hazegray said on 10 Jun 2010 at 11:38 am:

Time to tighten way down on the cash spigot to GMU…raise tuition and tighten academic standards.

I saw recently that it is listed among “20 great colleges for students with low SAT scores” (see link below). This result is what you get when you go trolling for dummies to fill your student body. Then again, many ESL students (but not Asian immigrants) have an “achievement gap” on SATs….that is why there aren’t many of them at Thomas Jefferson High School, which US News rated as #1 in the United States.

12. hazegray said on 10 Jun 2010 at 11:41 am:

Speaking of illegal immigrants, Politico is reporting the Democratic Party has apparently figured out that is the proper term, based on polling results.
    Who knows , may the Washington Post will be next in line….

13. Patty said on 10 Jun 2010 at 11:43 am:

Here is a direct link to one of Debra Shutika’s rants:

Someone should show this to Merten and to the Board.

This “study” is a joke. It is just a biased opinion piece by Debra Shutika.

Again those of you who are alums should bring this to the attention of Merten and the Board. Ms. Shutika’s rants put a bad light on the University.

14. chicko said on 10 Jun 2010 at 1:24 pm:

This study is bunk before it’s even out the door..it’s not “scholarly” by any stretch of the imagination. A true scholar would not wipe his a$$ with the paper this things printed on. Sad that GMU would put out or endorse such junk.

a folklorist? come one..that right there invalidates this paper.

let’s move on, nothing to see here but garbage.

15. Not a Student said on 10 Jun 2010 at 2:32 pm:

I was at one of the hearings that the Virgina Immigration Commission, yeah I know, another waste of our tax dollars, and there were quite a few students there that said they were illegal. Go figure.

16. Austin said on 10 Jun 2010 at 2:53 pm:

What a total waste of money! Why is folklorist/english teacher doing a survey on immigration and a PWC policy? GMU has plenty of their own problems! This is the type of thing that Bob Marshal and Jackson Miller have been talking about with higher education in the state. They constantly waste money, want to raise tuition, and only allow out of state students to get in. Nuts, totally nuts!

17. Peregry said on 10 Jun 2010 at 3:32 pm:

I have two things to throw out, but first, in effort of full disclosure, I am a GMU grad with an English degree and took multiple classes with Prof. Shutika. I liked her as a professor and she’s overall a very nice woman with a great family who tries to go out of her way for her students.

First, to clarify something, the reason her discipline is English is because GMU puts it Folklore studies under it’s English department due to it’s small size. She teaches almost exclusively Folklore oriented classes (all professors have to teach some of the basic English classes, no matter what their preferred focus is), and she is, if I remember correctly, the adviser/head for students who seek a Master’s in Folklore. I should also note that English is not a social science, but a Liberal Art, and predates Social Sciences by a good long time.

Second, that said, at least once (or more) a semester, she would get on her soapbox concerning illegal immigration and preach. Sometimes this was tied to what we were actually studying (for instance, collections of folklore of Central America and modern versions of it, some of which is tied to border crossing), but sometimes it was completely egregious. For instance, in her Appalachian Folklore class (Spring semester, 2008) she devoted an entire class to introducing us to some folks out of Chicago who basically do nothing but puff theater on illegal immigrants and paint them as heroic individuals. Note what I said the class was about: Appalachian Folklore.

In closing, she is an excellent professor, who hosts interesting classes and is actually very fair with her students (even when they disagree with her politics, and I’m one of those folks who’s very outspoken and she knew my opinion on illegal immigrants and the fact I was strongly for my county’s law) except for her occasional indulgences on the soapbox.

18. You Know Me said on 10 Jun 2010 at 3:52 pm:

I conducted a study using similar methodology, and the data would indicate that these GMU researchers are full of crap.

19. InTheNavy said on 10 Jun 2010 at 6:39 pm:

I, too, was a student of Shutika, and I disagree with any assertion that she is a great professor, or even a good professor. She’s condescending and takes a juvenile approach to teaching. One class session was actually devoted to playing with Lincoln Logs; my reaction to that was “I honestly cannot believe I’m paying for this class.” And, of course, I was penalized in my daily participation grade for a lack of sufficient enthusiasm relating to that silly group exercise. She actually interrupted her own lecturing to rail against students she claimed were not contributing enough to class discussions. Her actions often made me wonder whether medication would be a beneficial addition to her life.
    As for her being fair? Once she discovers that you live in Prince William County, the “hotbed of racism,” you’re on her sh*tlist. And, yes, she has a tendency to go off on tangents, one of which was against the “racist Help Save Manassas group.” Another diatribe was against the Fairfax Corner 14 shopping area, as she’s offended that its patrons are “too white.” Another interesting piece of information she delighted in sharing with the class is that GMU hires illegals. She was practically giddy as she announced this.
    One note for Peregry, from one English grad to another: remember the difference between “it’s” and “its.” Just a suggestion.

20. Boycott GMU not Arizona! said on 10 Jun 2010 at 7:32 pm:

Any right thinking parent should think twice before sending their kids to GMU for classes or a degree. Consider using private colleges that you have more control over and send a note and donation to attorney general Cuccinelli about what your tax dollars are paying for. I would note that even Melissa Peacor was quoted as having issues with this study in the paper yesterday so you know it really must be a piece of junk!

21. Peregry said on 10 Jun 2010 at 8:37 pm:

@InTheNavy, well, I had a very different experience in Prof. Shutika’s class, but then again, I’m one of those students who constantly participated in the class. I also had a reputation as a student who wouldn’t take shit from professors (or students) if I thought they were wrong and would not be cowed by their authority, so in all my experience with her I never had to deal with such issues. She also knew I commuted from Prince William county and never held it against me as far as I knew.

ITN, I’m curious, what class(es) you took with Prof. Shutika and when. The only time she got really preachy was when I took her Intro to Folklore class, and she made sure that part of the class dealt with Central American and Mexican folklore (to be fair, that her’s main area of study) and talked extensively about folklore that comes out of border running. Sure she occasionally got preachy about it, but other than that I had no complaints about her.

22. Scrooge said on 11 Jun 2010 at 2:54 am:

And once again Conservatives demonstrate how they hate and fear knowledge and science. Yes, yes, much better to just go with your gut instead of doing a study.

You do realize that Stephen Colbert and his concept of “truthiness” are making fun of you guys, right?

23. citizenofmanassas said on 11 Jun 2010 at 8:28 am:

Scrooge, so you love child rapists? You support those that kill? Good for you, but don’t push the stale line that because we do not, we are in fear of illegals. Sure, we hate illegals because they have no respect for the rule of law.

Steve colbert is an idiot.

24. hazegray said on 11 Jun 2010 at 8:32 am:

Why anyone would pay tuition money to study “folklore” is beyond me…. What good is it? What kind of job will it qualify you for? At least with math, science or medicine you can put what you’ve learned to use.

Then again, it’s all us taxpayers who are the fools….we subsidize teaching this subject with our tax dollars.

25. Big Dog said on 11 Jun 2010 at 9:09 am:

It is clear that Shutika and Cleaveland were seeking a “study”
    that would reinforce their preconceived opinions and they
    were lazy and sloppy in doing it.

- Why would they state a goal of determining the impact of
    Prince William County’s Resolution and then focus their
    interviews on the Weems and Sumner Lake communities
    in the City of Manassas? Didn’t they realize these
    are two separate jurisdictions?

- Citizens upset about the trashing of their neigborhoods?
    Immigrants whining about not being catered to enough?
    Almost any individual following local events in the last five
    years could have told them that, for the price of a cup of
    coffee.

- Leave the folklorist in their playpen, GMU could help us
    must by a rigorous unbiased and objective studies of such
    things as:
    1) What is the net cost of illegal immigration on the
    resources of local government (yes, including schools).
    2) According to a City of Manassas Key Demographics report
    updated 5-27-2010, it is estimated that over the last
    decade the total population grew by around 500 people,
    but the Hispanic population grew by over 5,000 while
    the White population shrunk by over 5,000. It would
    be informative to interview a sampling of those who
    came and those who departed, especially why would
    Manassas attract Hispanics if it is such a terrible hostile
    place where they “live in fear”?

26. cynic said on 11 Jun 2010 at 10:46 am:

If you go to Moonhowlings they now are making the claim that it doesn’t matter what Shutika’s personal views are! That’s too funny…..

27. cynic said on 11 Jun 2010 at 10:47 am:

But if her views were anti-illegal-immigrant - they would of course be up in arms and say it DOES matter what her view are! HYPOCRITES!

28. Ishmael said on 11 Jun 2010 at 11:05 am:

Hey, Cynic, have the crazies said anything about that liberal darling of journalism, Helen Thomas, and her anti-Semitic rant that finally got her fired? Or does she get a pass for forty years of espousing Liberal propaganda?

29. anonymous said on 11 Jun 2010 at 11:28 am:

“And once again Conservatives demonstrate how they hate and fear knowledge and science.”

Let’s not confuse social engineering with science.

30. Scrooge said on 11 Jun 2010 at 12:08 pm:

@citizenofmanass: LOL. Because only illegal aliens rape kids. I’d like to introduce you to something called “The Catholic Church,” and their “no child’s behind left alone” program.

@hazegray: You’re right. Why study anything at all other than math and science. I mean, it’s not like people who fail to understand history (of which folklore is a subset) are bound to repeat it or anything.

You guys really have gone full retard. Oops, that wasn’t PC of me. I mean, you’ve all gone full “Palin-American.”

31. InTheNavy said on 11 Jun 2010 at 12:42 pm:

Peregry,
    To satisfy your curiosity, it was ENGL 333 (Intro, as you’re probably aware) and taken last year. There were several of us who left that class scratching our heads and wondering why we had not dropped the course, as the six or so had the sense enough to do after a week of dealing with Shutika. And on behalf of the group of students she so unprofessionally reamed in class, my group and I were thoroughly embarrassed and mortified. Fortunately, you seemed to enjoy the class and remain out of her line of fire, which makes me question whether you actually expressed any sort of dissent with her views, as I actually did and therefore “suffered” for it, even though my participation was consistently high (with the exception of playing with her son’s Lincoln Logs). Basically, in our class, if you were not one to immediately express outrage at the “plight” of illegals, you were dismissed in her book to the point where she refused to acknowledge your attempt to contribute to class discussion. In my case, as a nontraditional student, it may also have been an issue of me being much older, wiser, and more informed than the standard student, and therefore she knew she couldn’t influence me to her cause. I stand by my belief that the woman should not be teaching, especially with tenure.

32. Cynic said on 11 Jun 2010 at 1:20 pm:

I’m Cynic - the first one on this blog to use the handle: Cynic.

Those using cynic with the small “c” are not the “original”
    Cynic.

Confusing: Yes.

BTW, I have not been on the Moon Howling site in months. And, I only looked at it for a minute or two when I did access it some time ago. So, I have no basis in fact to comment on what is being stated on that site as I have no idea what is on it.

33. Groveton said on 11 Jun 2010 at 2:43 pm:

This whole matter is yet more evidence of the failure of the Virginia General Assembly. The GA has ceded control of Virginia’s public colleges and universities. No longer are our elected representatives in control of anything.

Here is what I have observed or been told:

1. The University of Virginia is actively recruiting “international students” who are not counted as out of state. This active recruiting has resulted in hundreds of Chinese citizens being accepted to UVa even as many state residents (and children of state taxpayers) are turned away.

2. UVa has complied with a Greenpeace FOIA request regarding documents related to climate change semi-sceptic Pat Michaels. They insisted that documents requested in an FOIA request regarding climate alarmist Michael Mann were deleted. Then, when in receipt of a Civil Investigative Directive (CID) from AG Cuccenelli regarding Mr. Mann claimed first that they needed more time and then mover to quash the CID in court. Do the documents exist or not?

3. W&M administration decides that an architectural artifact, the Wren Chapel Cross, has to be removed because, well … because it’s a cross.

4. Now, we have a geographically illiterate pseudo-professor conducting a study far out of her league presumably with some level of taxpayer funded support.

5. Finally, I suspect that the full story of the UVa lacrosse player who is accused of murdering his lacrosse playing girlfrined has yet to be told. There was a rumor that the accused murderer had been suspended for another ultra - violent incident. UVa’s administration simply said the rumor was hearsay. I’d really like them to say the rumored incident never happened.

Virginia’s General Assembly has become increasingly useless … especially in regard to Virginia’s public colleges and universities.

34. Wolverine said on 11 Jun 2010 at 3:26 pm:

Ishmael — Go over and read the Helen Thomas thread on Moonhowlings. You will be surprised at where it started and where it ended. I quote directly from the Moonhowler herself: “I would bet on Israel each and every time. They will never be annihilated. Woe be unto the person who tries.” That sounds to me like something you guys might write.

Also take a look at the opening thread on the death of that young Mexican boy at the hands of our border guard. The thread came down on the side of the border guard. How about that? Moreover, the Memorial Day and D-Day presentations over there outdid anything I have seen elsewhere on the blogs. The kind of support you find over there for our military people and military veterans sounds like the stuff you would hear in a VFW post. It made this dyed-in-the-wool conservative Vietnam vet feel downright good.

35. Anonymous said on 11 Jun 2010 at 5:16 pm:

Colbert. Is he somebody? Oh yeah. Now I remember. Some Comedy Central clown.

As for this GMU prof : A prime example of someone who feels the truth about illegal aliens.

36. Citizen12 said on 11 Jun 2010 at 6:23 pm:

The words “hate” and “fear” really don’t come to mind when discussing B.S. and science fiction.

And that would be all there really is to this “study”. Just B.S. and science fiction.

37. Proud to be a Gringo said on 11 Jun 2010 at 6:49 pm:

Where’s the study? Oh they haven’t finished it yet! What the h@#*? This is just soooooo much crap. Glad I went somewhere besides GMU for my indoctrination.

38. Anonymous said on 11 Jun 2010 at 9:17 pm:

Obama Orders Dance Classes, Movie Nights, and Bingo for Illegal Detainees
    Chris Banescu

The Houston Chronicle reports that the Obama administration has ordered the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) department to implement multiple modifications to their facilities to make life easier, more comfortable, and pleasant for the hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants (approximately 400,000) it detains annually. An internal ICE email highlights 28 different changes the organization will have to make to soften the look of its facilities, present a friendlier environment, offer better entertainment, organize fun activities, and provide illegal immigrant detainees with free access to email and phone services, as well as better dining and training classes.

According to ICE officials all of these changes are part of broader efforts supported by Obama “to make the immigration detention system less penal and more humane.” In reality, these changes are akin to “creating an all-inclusive resort for immigration detainees.”

Some of the changes the White House is ordering include:

§ dance classes
    § movie nights
    § art classes
    § cooking classes
    § tutoring and computer training
    § free and unmonitored phone service
    § free email access
    § bingo
    § arts and crafts
    § more variety in dining options
    § self-serve beverage stations
    § fresh vegetable bars
    § fresh carrot sticks
    § hanging plants
    § recreation in natural setting
    § robust aerobic exercise

Also, ICE is expected to eliminate pat-down searches, lockdowns, and light-out for low-risk detainees, as well as provide vastly expanded visitation rights (up to 12 hours per visit) in its facilities.

The changes listed in the ICE e-mail are planned for nine different detention centers owned and operated by Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) across the country. According to the Chronicle, some of the changes “will be implemented within 30 days; others may take up to six months”

Illegal immigrant advocates are thrilled at the required changes. They have been advocating these transformations for years. Lory Rosenberg, policy and advocacy director for Refugee and Migrants’ Rights for Amnesty International was delighted with the promised improvements: “Many of these points are very important to changing the system from a penal system, which is inappropriate in an immigration context, to a civil detention system.”

However, ICE union leaders are appalled at the cavalier attitude towards the illegal immigrants they oversee and warn of the inherent dangers of such misguided policies. The officials are concerned the mandates will jeopardize the safety of their guards and agents, increase the potential for harm to other detainees, and cost the taxpayers more money in order to transform detention centers into an “all-inclusive resort” for immigration detainees.

“Our biggest concern is that someone is going to get hurt,” he said, taking particular issue with plans to relax restrictions on the movement of low-risk detainees and efforts to reduce and eliminate pat-down searches.

ICE leadership also expressed concerns about safety issues inherent in lowering security standards for almost half million detainees, many of which are violent and have gang affiliations. Tre Rebstock, president for Local 3332, the ICE union in Houston explains:

some detainees may be classified as low-risk because they have no serious criminal history but still may be gang members that “haven’t been caught doing anything wrong yet.”

He also said eliminating lockdowns will make it more difficult to protect detainees from one another.

He said reducing or eliminating pat-down searches could allow contraband into the facilities, including weapons.

These concerns are justified. According to ICE’s own report, as of September 9, 2009, 51% of the detained aliens were felons and 11% of the illegals had committed violent crimes. The report confirms that most common crimes committed by criminal aliens are those involving dangerous drugs, traffic offenses, simple assault, and larceny.

None of this matters to the ivory-tower elitist Obama. He condemned the people of Arizona for passing the SB1070 law that mirrors the US federal law on immigration calling it “misguided” and “irresponsible.” He has refused to listen to the American people, 73% of whom agree with Arizona and its stance on illegal immigration. He stood beside Mexican president Felipe Calderon as he bashed Arizona and its people. He then applauded Calderon’s defamation of America, while Democrats in Congress cheered and shouted their approval. He has refused to enforce our immigration laws and secure our borders. He has continued to push for amnesty while a vast majority of the American people are against it.

President Obama wants millions more voters who support his radical leftist ideals. Pandering to illegal immigrants, blaming America, and continually playing the racist card is how he can get there. This is the Democrat’s best chance to overwhelm the American electorate and they’re going for it. Damn the American people, full amnesty ahead!

Chris Banescu is an attorney, entrepreneur, and university professor. He regularly blogs at chrisbanescu.com.

39. M said on 12 Jun 2010 at 11:25 am:

This is the link to the original press release:

This is the link to the GMU Center for Social Science Research:

Real scientists work from scientific papers, not press releases about them. I have been unable to find the actual study, just the press release describing it. This makes it impossible to legitimately evaluate the quality of this research — the theoretical justification, credibility of data collection methods, methods for analysis of raw data for drawing the inferences proposed in conclusions, and the validity for this research for making inferences to larger populations and information policy decisions. It would be particularly interesting to know whether this research has survived peer review. If not, it remains unfinished work in the scientific process.

It would also be useful to know how this study (and the other work of the Center for Social Science Research) was funded. He who pays the piper gets to choose the tune. If the study was funded from public sources, it should be made publicly available.

This is the link to the program from which Dr. Shutika says she graduated:

A quote from this web page:

“In general, folklore’s practice of qualitative ethnography is distinguished by an ongoing dialogue with research subjects, and a commitment to non-covert research, which often leads to advocacy of marginalized groups. Because of this dialogue, which engages researchers and subjects in a process of collaborative meaning-making, folklorists’ findings are often of interest to general audiences. Our findings tend to reflect upon and amplify peoples’ daily experiences and the meanings they make from those, and we are therefore deeply implicated in the processes of self-definition we study.”

This seems to be a highfalutin way of saying that we put our interpretation on the data we collect.

40. M said on 12 Jun 2010 at 11:27 am:

Sorry, “informing policy decisions,” not “information policy decisions.” Spell checker got away from me.

41. citizenofmanassas said on 12 Jun 2010 at 11:42 am:

scrooge,

of course, you’ve left out one important detail. Nobody here is defending criminals, except you and other illegal supporters. Nobody here is saying other child rapists should be allowed to continue to engage in such practices except for you and other illegal supporters.

It’s funny how far your type will go to defend illegals and their raping and killing. talk about being retarded.

42. Anonymous said on 12 Jun 2010 at 2:46 pm:

And once again, the left broadcasts its position - all you need to do is look at what they accuse you of.

Obama Regime Lied to Justify Drilling Moratorium

“Don’t punish me - with reality” (Apologies to Marvin Gaye)

43. Scout said on 13 Jun 2010 at 5:20 am:

I’m coming late to this. But I followed the links (which aren’t to the actual study) and could not find any indication that the report was confined to illegal immigrants. From context in the links, it appears that the surveys were of immigrants, not illegal immigrants. It might be important to know the proportions of each in the surveys, but, the import seemed to be not that “illegal immigrants” feel negative effects from these local measures, but that immigrants generally do. The latter would be very disturbing I’m sure to the decent folks who populate this site.

44. Big Dog said on 13 Jun 2010 at 11:44 am:

Scout,
    Like you, I’m disappointed the authors of the study,
    who I assume used some state funding to conduct it , have
    not shared their research procedures or full findings with
    the public. Nor have they presented it for peer review.

- The push to promote both a sense of victimhood and/or
    special entitlement (”this is our land anyway”) is
    toxic to the long term good of everyone. It will
    lead to more problems and not solutions. My take
    is the authors had an opinion first and then rigged
    a “study” to support it
    - If you were illegal, would you tell strangers?
    Doubt if they know how many legals and illegals they
    interviewed.

- If the study was focused on PWC and the “Resolution”,
    why were the bulk of the interviews in the
    City of Manassas neighborhoods of Weems and Sumner Lake?
    And why Sumner Lake - one of the newer and more
    upscale communities in the area? Why not Dumfries,
    western Manassas Park or Westgate?

- And why do immigrants continue to come and stay
    in Manassas, when they have numerous other choices,
    if they feel “a climate of fear” here? Whle the total
    population has changed lttle since 2000, an estimated 5,000
    Hispanics have moved into the city while 5,000 Whites
    have moved out. (2010 Key Demographics - Manassas
    Office of Community Development 5-27-2010).

Ms. Shutika and Ms. Cleaveland have done our community