Open Thread

By Greg L | 12 July 2010 | Uncategorized | 36 Comments

Once again I’m backed up with projects and not paying enough attention to recent happenings.  Of particular note was Corey Stewart’s channeling (the good parts) of Teddy Roosevelt telling the federal government “bring it on!” on the immigration issue, Ben Tribbet’s fascinating expose on influence peddling within the Virginia Democratic Caucus, and Gaudencio Fernandez trying to buy some better public relations by providing material support to the unlawful presence of illegal aliens (a federal felony, no less) with a food bank that he swears up and down isn’t only going to illegal aliens.  Wish I had more time to pontificate, as this is great stuff!

1. HelpSaveArizonaToo said on 12 Jul 2010 at 10:51 pm:

Anyone donated to the Arizona defense fund?

2. june bug said on 13 Jul 2010 at 2:44 am:

Wonder if the Voting Machines were ever repaired from the last election day? I understand that at many of the precints that the wrong name kept coming up.This will raise havoc in Nov. Elections if this has not been corrected.

Sure would be nice if we knew for sure we were not wasting a vote.

What do we hear on the City getting after Fernandez and all his signs? I called Mr. Hughes and sent an e-mail but have heard nothing. Just wondering.

3. mpcinsider said on 13 Jul 2010 at 5:48 am:

All I got to say is this. In MP the Strip Mall that is next door to the Police station has more tenants than does the City Center. In fact almost all the stores will be opening up within 6 months. Yes that is after the place has stayed empty for over 1 year but they made progress where the City center has not. You can’t even get a coffee shop to open up at the City Center. WAY TO GO MAYOR AND COUNCIL. You think the older section was an eye sore. So every time you all have your meetings you drive by seeing empty store fronts at the City center. HOW DOES THAT MAKE YOU FEEL? It makes the city look like FOOLS compare to PWC and city of MANASSAS.

The MP Rec Center is bleeding the city dry. The camps and programs are not running with full kids. You had to beg SERVE to fill some spots out. That means the tax payer picked up the cost. YEP THAT IS RIGHT THE MP TAX PAYERS!!

The pool sits empty during the day and hardly anyone is using the fitness center. You would have done your homework and asked maybe the Freedom Center on how things are suppose to run. You would get more people in there.

It is time to call for the two top people of the Rec Center to step down. They have failed in their promise to have the Rec Center pay for itself. Also I ask that every MP Council member and Mayor resign for their continuing failure of running a city. You all need to pack it in and let some else do your jobs.

Since we get our water and 911 service from the county why don’t we turn over our Police and Fire/rescue to the county maybe that may save the city for 2 more years. If not then maybe we should turn out the lights and layoff everyone.

4. Cynic said on 13 Jul 2010 at 6:07 am:

FYI. On Sunday it was 206th anniversary of the Burr-Hamilton Duel.

5. ChainBridge said on 13 Jul 2010 at 7:03 am:

I’d like to put in a good word for Sheriff Richard K. Jones of
    Butler County, Ohio. He’s on the right track but has to fight
    with the ACLU every time he turns around. Check this out.

(I wish the Fairfax County Sheriff had such an attitude)

6. The Patriot (Got E-Verify???) said on 13 Jul 2010 at 9:21 am:

This is great!

7. Brian Leeper said on 13 Jul 2010 at 10:02 am:

“Yes that is after the place has stayed empty for over 1 year but they made progress where the City center has not.”

I’ve heard that City Center wants upwards of $25/square foot for retail space. It’s about $15/square foot in the new strip malls on Liberia.

Apparently, they’re charging more than the market will bear, and their space remains empty as a result.

Simple as that.

8. sahdman said on 13 Jul 2010 at 10:52 am:

Was anyone at the Independence Day celebration in Manassas Park? If so how did that go?
    I’m glad to here all the shops by the police station are filling up.

9. Brian Leeper said on 13 Jul 2010 at 11:08 am:

I was there. Turnout seemed lower than it had been in previous years, could have been due to the heat. I was able to see the fireworks from both Manassas and Manassas Park.

10. Anonymous said on 13 Jul 2010 at 2:48 pm:

I was there. My kid loved it. Great selection of rides and vendors. Yeah it was hot, but it made the shaved ice that much better. It was really the best of the MP celebrations that I have been to over the years.

11. The Patriot (Got E-Verify???) said on 13 Jul 2010 at 3:49 pm:

“Radical Immigration Reform Rally, ATL Ga”

12. The Patriot (Got E-Verify???) said on 13 Jul 2010 at 3:54 pm:

“Joe Arpiao and His Deputies Raid A Paper Mill That Hires Illegal Aliens Arizona”

When is Chief Deane going to start getting busy? Corey Stewart…when are you going to make this happen?

13. The Patriot (Got E-Verify???) said on 13 Jul 2010 at 4:05 pm:

“Doug McIntyre Rips LA City Council”

14. park'd said on 13 Jul 2010 at 4:07 pm:

What fitness center is that mcpinsider? Last I checked there were no weight or cardio machines in the rec center. Has that changed? If so how much does it cost for MP residents?

Also as far as the mayor and CC members resigning in shame? Puhleeze. None of them HAVE any shame to begin with. Fran imo will always hold a special place in my heart for calling everyone complaining about the amount of illegals in the city racist at a council meeting in 2007, if I recall the year correctly.

15. park'd said on 13 Jul 2010 at 4:13 pm:

Stewart is too busy licking Deane’s boots to get anything rolling on something like that. Deane has already made his intentions quite clear on how he feels about enforcing immigration laws and nobody on the BoCS was man enough to put him in his place. They will just say that only the county manager or whatever that guy’s job name is can do that blah blah but trust me, there are ALWAYS ways to remove undesirables who won’t play ball with the rest of the team. This is why I feel the PWC resolution was never really meant to accomplish anything. It was a typical politician circle jerk designed to get votes from the core constituency that had had enough of illegals at the time. Meanwhile, the problem is 2x worse now than it was then.

16. Tillie said on 13 Jul 2010 at 4:14 pm:

The Patriot 3:54

What happens to the paper mill now?

17. Howard the Duck said on 13 Jul 2010 at 4:53 pm:

You will love this one:

18. Anonymous said on 13 Jul 2010 at 5:06 pm:

I actually have a membership. There are weight and cardio machines, though no free weights for the dudes. I have a membership for myself and family - I work out there, we use Signal Hill, it gives a discount on camp and lessons. I got it at the beginning (January) and the single adult basic membership monthly then was $35. Kids make it higher. It was cheaper than my gym membership. I also hated my gym, it had a pool included (two if you count Signal Bay) so it seemed like a decent trade off. Yes, Freedom Center has more to offer, but it is definitely pricey and much farther. I like it. There is room for improvement, but I have never been 100% happy with anywhere I work out.

19. Ya Know? said on 13 Jul 2010 at 5:18 pm:

Update on the 9500 Liberty crew: Anabel. Park is still an agent of Kim Jung IL, and Eric is still a starry-eye American Marxist who has been corrupted by the “me love you long-time” charms of the enemy agent.

20. InTheNavy said on 13 Jul 2010 at 6:06 pm:

It’s that time again: another military transfer. If anyone is looking to rent a home in the Wellington single-family home subdivision, let me know.

21. Kris Day said on 13 Jul 2010 at 6:23 pm:

HelpSaveArizonaToo: Thank you for the link - I’ve been wanting to contribute and you made it easy.

InTheNavy: Thank you for your service to our country.

22. legal2 said on 13 Jul 2010 at 7:00 pm:

Here’s a little inspiration: http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/trsorbonnespeech.html
    “The Man in the Arena”

23. mpcinsider said on 14 Jul 2010 at 5:53 am:

to:

Anonymous said on 13 Jul 2010 at 5:06 pm: Flag comment

I actually have a membership.

How busy is it?

24. NoVA Scout said on 14 Jul 2010 at 5:56 am:

What’s the relationship between Theodore Roosevelt and anti-constitutional pols trying to keep their mugs in the press? Did Teddy ever tell the federal government to “bring it on.”? He’s one of my favorite presidents and I’m more than a little perplexed cracking the supposed equation of him and Mr. Stewart. Theodore Roosevelt is not, frankly, the first historic allusion (maybe not the 150th either) to leap to mind.

Butler County Ohio has its points. But do we really think that the sheriff of that mostly bucolic area has the authority to implement a program of informants on illegal immigrants? Suppose someone correctly identifies a 2I to the sheriff’s office? Then what? Especially if there has been no local crime committed. Is this guy up for election soon? That might explain something. Of course, around here, politicians don’t pander to the emotions of voters with issues like immigration, do they?

25. Patty said on 14 Jul 2010 at 7:39 am:

For those of you who ride bicycles, there is a brand new bicycle shop. Bull Run Bicycles behind the TD Bank off Liberia Ave just opened. They offer road bicycles, mountain bikes and bikes for kids. They do repairs too.

We need to support small businesses. It is hard to be an entrepreneur during these times.

26. Cynic said on 14 Jul 2010 at 2:56 pm:

Author, Representative Lamar Smith, says that the Adm. is misreading his Bill. Imagine that!

27. Chitizen12 said on 14 Jul 2010 at 5:59 pm:

In parts of California they have banned the construction of new fast food restaurants. The excuse has been given that their location in lower income neighborhoods has caused deterioration in the overall health of the citizens and increased the healthcare cost to local and state government agencies.

In parts of the country they are working at banning the Happy Meal because parents of toddlers need government help telling their children no.

Our First Lady has launched a campaign to fight against childhood obesity. He husband has launched a campaign to make overweight people pay more for health care.

So what do the good people of Detroit come up with? Partner the public library with McDonald’s to bring you Books and Backpacks.

“Each time they check out books, the librarian will stamp the bookmark. Once the bookmark is stamped five times, the student can bring the fully stamped bookmark to his/her neighborhood McDonald’s for a Happy Meal or Mighty Kids Meals compliments of McDonald’s.”

28. Anonymous said on 14 Jul 2010 at 9:38 pm:

MPCInsider:

Our first camp was canceled and we were rolled into another, with about 12 kids, all of whom we knew from the community. The last one we did was twice that size, again all kids we knew from school or other community rec activities. It was almost too big for mine. Maybe there are kids from SERVE at rec camps, but not the ones my kids are at. These are kids from our neighborhood that we are seeing, that my kids do school or sports with or other activities.

Weight room: Most people I have ever worked out with is six. Several times I have been by myself. Often it is somewhere in between.

Pool: Either empty or swim teamed until last week. I think the heat put it on a lot of peoples’ radars, because I saw several moms with young kids in the mid afternoon when I was there. Will be curious to see how that goes in the future. My kids also have gone with their camp groups and seem to like it. We still prefer Signal Hill for the activities, but might use it in the fall.

29. Anonymous said on 15 Jul 2010 at 4:58 am:

“Deane has already made his intentions quite clear on how he feels about enforcing immigration laws and nobody on the BoCS was man enough to put him in his place.”

Deane is a King in Prince William County and it is hard to get rid of a King. He will rule for as long as he wants and the little people (The citizens) will like it.

30. mpcinsider said on 15 Jul 2010 at 6:17 am:

The heat is on MP Rec Center. The money is not coming and the person who did the books for the Rec Center has been moved to the city hall. The Director made that move to take heat off of her, but it won’t work. That person now sits and does nothing at city hall. Oh wait she still talks to the head Treasurer. So I guess that mean she is allowed to do that now.

The programs that have ran and is now running, were and still are great. The Rec Center does have some staff member that care about the kids even though city hall does not see it.

The city is bleeding money faster than it can take it in. The Rec Center is the main bleeder, but I still say that all the higher up should have taken a pay cut. Maybe with the election coming around the corner we can elect people who will take a hard look at the city budget and question how the city does business.

If the city does not cut more staffers at city hall and get the county to pickup fire/police they won’t be able to make the next year’s budget. That has been discussed in meeting lately. For the people over in Blooms you all better get ready for some major changes coming. That where some cuts are coming from.

31. Anonymous said on 15 Jul 2010 at 2:29 pm:

And what could they cut in Blooms?

32. MPWitch said on 15 Jul 2010 at 4:16 pm:

mpcinsider
    Blooms is part of the city and all their services. What happens to Blooms will happen to the west side of the city too, so careful what you wish for.

33. Anonymous said on 15 Jul 2010 at 4:31 pm:

MPWitch, I don’t think mpcinsider actually lives here, so I doubt s/he really cares what happens to the residents/taxpayers. Just laughing and pointing at those who do.

34. mpcinsider said on 16 Jul 2010 at 5:44 am:

Hey guys sevral bonds are due and they need to be paid. I do live in the city. Blooms are going to lose bus service. I have been in city halls after meeting and listen to the comment and was able to read some documentation that was discuss.

35. MPWitch said on 16 Jul 2010 at 8:33 am:

Very doubtful they will lose all their school bus service. May be for the kids in a 1 mile radius and it doesn’t hurt them and their Mommy’s or Daddy’s to get a little exercise. But jr. high & high school still have to be bused due to distance and safety.

36. Bob said on 16 Jul 2010 at 9:51 am:

A video posted on YouTube reveals the extent of the narco violence on the U.S.-Mexico border. “We heard machine guns, 9mm pistols, grenades, everything,” a note posted with the video explains. The gunfire occurred in Reynosa, Mexico, across the border from McAllen, Texas, on July 11.

Three counties given up to drug runners: