Open Thread

By Greg L | 16 September 2010 | Uncategorized | 58 Comments

Lots of stuff going on, and little time to write about it.  Here’s your place to vent.

1. Anonymous said on 17 Sep 2010 at 4:44 am:

With the Tea Party winning more and more elections, there is a question that needs to be answered. Is the Republican Party still the party that gives you more, but cost you less? I have found this not to be true in the Sheriff’s Office. I know some people are saying who cares who is the sheriff? They don’t do anything to make the community or our lives any better. And that is exactly my point. Sheriff Glendell “Big Money” Hill has accomplished nothing for the people and the County of Prince William, but he charges the taxpayer 50% more a year (2.6 million dollars) to operate the Sheriff’s Office. I’m just thankful other department heads didn’t find the need to raise their budgets by 50%….. The county taxpayers would be broke.

It’s time for the Republican Party to get rid of some of their own big spenders.

2. Tea For 2 said on 17 Sep 2010 at 11:02 am:

I hope the tea party in Manassas takes on some sitting Council Members who need to be challenged in regards to their “R” credentials, shall I name names?????

3. Cynic said on 17 Sep 2010 at 11:32 am:

Sharia-loving Gerry Connolly

Some guest on WMAL (630 AM) (Grady Group) this morning mentioned the above. Did not get his name and did not hear that much of the interview, but the guest did mention GC”s close ties with the supporters of Sharia Law.

Based on what I read would guess that the ultimate goal of the pro-Sharia Law crowd would be to have it become the law of the land. They will probably be introducing a constitutional amendment in the near future to continue moving forward with this plan. Am guessing that such a proposed amendment would have the full support of the Administration and the current House and Senate leadership.

4. focus said on 17 Sep 2010 at 2:56 pm:

Geez, let’s not eat each other. The council is pretty good. Our reps in the state house are pretty good. Let’s not waste our time fighting each other. Let’s fight things like the M&T tax situation that can cost the city approx $5 million a year. I’m more interested in that than a purity test.

5. june bug said on 17 Sep 2010 at 4:28 pm:

It has always been that the Republicans gives you more for your tax dollar and nothing has changed. Give us a Republican President, Congressmen, Senate and then the General Assembly.Then you will see the true picture of what the Republicans can do and it will be alot easier on your pocket book.

Most of the Tea Party will favor the Republicans,as thats where they formed from,in trying to get the Republicans to all start reading from the same book.

How many went to the Debate at Ferlazzo put on by the NAACP? It was very good and folks are telling me they felt Finamin was 70 % over Connolly. And that I believe as Connolly is going all out to tell his lies. Connolly can make lies up faster that anyone I see or know.

He’s been hitting the Papers up North like he’s papering the inside of his house.
    He is putting out some really outrageous talk on Finamin. Keith Finamin has made it very clear where he stands on abortion and it’s no where near what his opponent is saying.
    Need to check out the sources that Keith has on his site!

I guess it is time for someone to get Nasty and squeel on Connolly.
    There’s alot there from the day he left the field of trying to be a Priest and his friend the Nun. Then we have the arrests.And we have all his mess in Fairfax and how their Budgets were never met. Connolly and his buddies liked to poar on the taxes. But you wouldn’t know that from him.

He needs to go.

6. park'd said on 17 Sep 2010 at 5:13 pm:

It’s not just reading from the same book, it’s being ON the same book yet alone the same page. Most of the R’s I can think of are RINOs. Jackson Miller is probably the only R I can think of at a local, state or federal level that is a real R. The rest are RINOs. ALL RINOs got to go at ANY cost. I would rather have a dem in office than a RINO. At least with a dem you don’t feel like you’re being stabbed in the back.

7. focus said on 17 Sep 2010 at 5:30 pm:

Will Jackson actively oppose and vote against the M&T tax legislation that will cost Manassas five million? That will tell me if he an R or a RINO and whether he is fighting for us on this issue.

8. june bug said on 18 Sep 2010 at 2:22 am:

Sorry folks, I just realized I got my letters mixed up on the spelling of Fimian and did it wrong. I know better.

Just had to reply to Park,who said at least he didn’t feel like he was being stabed in the back? Wow, just what is it when a Democrat says one thing and does another?
    It is the worst thing I have heard of and with them it never changes.Thats the problem ,they are good at warping ones mind,till you don’t know if you are going or coming.

As far as so called RINOS,I have found if one does not agree with EVERYTHING a so called Republican wants them to believe,then your labeled a RINO. That is not true.

I have found many good conservative people,Republicans, that are good Republicans and will work their heads off on a campaign, but they are not necessarily of the Far Right group. But that doesn’t make them any less of a Republican.
    But they sure get labeled as Rinos.Why?

I know plenty of so called Republicans, that feels no matter what ,you have to think of them and believe they are right in everything.I call that leading one by their noses and no brains to think for themselves.

Many of these self proclaimed Republicans are not the ones who dig in and get the work done on a campaign.They would rather stand around and act like a big shot.Then everyone is suppose to think of them as a good Republican.

This just does not work in my camp, as they are the ones who are off track.We have lost many good people over this crap of a group putting labels on another group. We are suppose to be defending our Conservatism,less Government and less Taxes.

Just where are we going.?Better decide as the voltures are there waiting to grab your brain,then you are lost forever.

9. starryflights said on 18 Sep 2010 at 9:27 am:

My husband is now seeing MS13 tagging as he drives home from work and enters Dale City. Since it is obvious now our local police and our BOCS have allowed MS13 to thrive in our county, I think it is time to move elsewhere.

10. Cynic said on 18 Sep 2010 at 11:01 am:

MS13,

They are all part of our cultural diversity enhancement program brought to us by the liberals and our corrupt, no guts politicians. Get ready to assimilate into their culture. Got to make them ‘feeel’ good!

Move elsewhere - you can move elsewhere but - given the effectiveness of our cultural diversity programs - you will soon discover that MS13 or some other scum illegal gang is already in your new neighborhood or about to move into it.

11. FED UP said on 18 Sep 2010 at 1:02 pm:

Check this out!
    DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!

12. Disgusted said on 18 Sep 2010 at 1:13 pm:

This is to extend park’d’s statement of outing RINOs. The Tea Party members are loyal and motivated. Lets hypothesize that Obama decides to continue his lukewarm support of Congressional Dems and lets them get beat. Let’s continue the hypothesis and extend the Tea Party success and say the Tea-publican Party wins back the House. They cut the social budget items, like healthcare, Medicare, education, outlaw abortion, and welfare. Obama decides cut Tea Party favorites of defense and border-related programs. Deadlock! The Tea-publicans slap each other on the back for shutting down the government. Then the social security checks stop coming. The unemployment checks stop. The defense budget isn’t passed, so incremental funding for on-going efforts is withheld. First, the small contractors make layoffs. Then the big companies do the same. The “useless” federal employees are out of work due to the government shutdown (because the Tea-publicans know that RINOs would cave, but they’re gonna hold their ground). Obama announces he’s running for the 2012 election, and he’s gonna run on the platform of, “See what these Tea-publicans do when they get in! Vote for me and Democrats.” They win in 2012 and it will take a decade for the Republican party to recover any momentum.

When compromise, which is at the heart of governing, goes away, chaos, Tea Party created chaos, will result. Have your fun now. I’s easy to chuck rocks when you’re not the one governing.

13. Cynic said on 18 Sep 2010 at 1:51 pm:

Check this out!

Minnesota is a state where liberalism has succeeded. Isn’t it great?

Assimilate - it is we, the American citizen who must assimilate to the foreign culture. It’s the right thing to do. Helps them ‘feeel’ more comfortable. Besides, if you do not want to accept their culture and their Sharia Law, you are a racist and xenophobe.

Do not want to cooperate, then the left wing hate groups like the ACLU and the SPLC will sue you for cultural non-compliance.

14. Patty said on 18 Sep 2010 at 6:21 pm:

Disgusted,

15. FED UP said on 19 Sep 2010 at 11:48 am:

Cynic said on 18 Sep 2010 at 1:51 pm:

I pasted the link to the story above your post. It is disgusting!!!!!

16. Laura Lee said on 19 Sep 2010 at 4:03 pm:

The biggest RINO we have in our county at the present time is one: Glendell Hill,
    who ran as a Republican candidate, yet chastized the deputies under his command
    to vote for his bro Obama. Hill must be a member of the Black Panther movement
    for this is typical behavior! He’s got to go!

17. Disgusted said on 19 Sep 2010 at 7:16 pm:

Patty said:

” Disgusted, I would like to see useless federal employees out of work. That would save the tax payers a huge amount of money.”

Weeelllll…that means the military, since they are all government employees. Oooo…lets not forget the FBI, ATF, and CIA since they’re government employees too. What else…oh yeah, the treasury. Lets stop printing money. Maybe you can use rocks instead. Nothing but government employees there!

I pray you are a 13 year old with nothing better to do than blog nonsense you hear on Fox.

18. es_la_ley said on 19 Sep 2010 at 7:40 pm:

Disgusted said on 19 Sep 2010 at 7:16 pm:

What else…oh yeah, the treasury. Lets stop printing money.

That’s actually a very good idea.

19. vote4hill said on 19 Sep 2010 at 9:26 pm:

Laura Lee,

I can honestly say I feel sorry for you! It is people like you that throw out racial overtones and for what reason? A personal vendetta? Your comments are inflammatory, distasteful and have no merit!

20. Cynic said on 19 Sep 2010 at 9:34 pm:

Well, Yes, without govenment expenditures like these:

the world would come to an abrupt end!

21. mpresident said on 19 Sep 2010 at 9:36 pm:

Laura Lee, another rcomment on your stupid post, why in the world would you worry about a sheriff who controls very little? He doesn’t even run the jail. I know why, because you are one of the last holdovers from the prevoius crooked and criminal regime. Sheriff Hill is one of the finest men I know and plays well in the sandbox and does the job he was elected to do, unlike the previous sheriff. So he chatised some of his deputies. That is what supervisors do when the employees screw up.

22. Anonymous said on 20 Sep 2010 at 12:29 am:

mpresident,
    I agree Glendell Hill is a nice guy. He lacks leadership skills, and looking at his record I doubt he is a Republican, but he is a nice guy. I would also agree he does what he is told and does not venture out of the box. However, pressuring employees to vote the way you want them to vote is Not what supervisors should do.

23. Patty said on 20 Sep 2010 at 10:03 am:

Disgusted,

You used the word useless and so did I.

useless: adj. (adjective) having or being of no use: a. INEFFECTUAL b. not able to give service or aid: INEPT…..Merriam Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary tenth edition 1996.

I hope that helps you…..or do you really consider all government employees useless?

24. Disgusted said on 20 Sep 2010 at 8:58 pm:

Patty, you will notice in my post I had useless within quotation marks. Adults use these when they are invoking irony.

irony; -noun
    1) the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning.
    For example:…the irony of her reply, “How Nice” when I told her I had to work all weekend…
    (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony, 20 September 2010.)

I consider all government employees as co-workers. I only consider 13 year-old bloggers useless. Do your teachers know you use the school’s computer to blog on the web during class? Because I know a grown woman would be at work during the day and wouldn’t be using her employers computer to blog on company time. We government workers would be fired for doing that kind of activity.

25. Greg L said on 20 Sep 2010 at 9:31 pm:

26. Laura Lee said on 21 Sep 2010 at 9:34 am:

OMG, Disgusted….stop giving Patty such a hard time!! In fact, she very
    accuratley posted the definition of “Useless”, which certainly describes our
    sheriff. Sure, he’s a nice man, but so is Homer Simpson.

27. Pat said on 21 Sep 2010 at 3:12 pm:

june bug - so are you saying that under Bush-R, Senate-R and House-R - they cut spending?? I must have been asleep. Bush and Crew increase spending, grew government, increased deficits, and set us up for economic failure.

Medicare Part D - unfunded
    Wars - unfunded
    Tax rebate (stimulus) - unfunded
    Tax Cuts (including to the wealthy) - unfunded
    increase military spending - unfunded

oh, they must have all been RINO’s, thats it. So, tell me why we should trust them now.

28. Disgusted said on 21 Sep 2010 at 6:18 pm:

Greg L said, “Man, you really don’t know Patty, and your worldview is pretty darned narrow to only believe she is either a student or working for someone else.”

Thank you for the set-up. I expected Ms. Patty to be an adult. By your tone, I am assuming she is self-employed. I find most self-employed people are usually the most vocal against government employees and all of the perks they feel we just unjustly deserve. Typically it is because they struggle to keep their business afloat. They want to pick on those that they see as the cause of their limited success; the government and its employees. Yet they never admit, neither to themselves nor to others, that they are most likely the cause of their failure. Poor business plans, unrealistic expectations of the market share available, poor products, and scare finances are some of the reasons why their small businesses fail. One of the tasks anyone looking to start a small business should perform is an analysis of the cost of doing business in the jurisdiction where the business is to be located. What are the licensing fees? What are the taxes to be paid and when? What are the key income levels that trigger higher rates? What neighborhood HOA restrictions are there if the business is home based?

I would remind Ms. Patty, if she is self-employed, and I apologize if she isn’t, that she chose to be self-employed and she shouldn’t look to blame someone else for her poor business acumen. She should focus instead on a realistic and frank assessment of her business’s position.

29. Greg L said on 21 Sep 2010 at 6:31 pm:

“Disgusted”, you really should consider the idea of stopping this digging yourself further into a hole. Really, this is getting ridiculous. The more you prattle on about things you don’t know about, the more foolish you make yourself look.

30. Disgusted said on 21 Sep 2010 at 9:16 pm:

Greg L. Then please explain, if you can, since I’m “digging myself into a hole”. I’m all electronic ears.

31. slim it down said on 23 Sep 2010 at 9:20 am:

Some Republican ideas meriting consideration for cutting back on federal pay which I hope, but doubt, that our local candidates are supporting:

Freezing federal raises and bonuses for one year (McCain and Coburn). During a recession prices tend not to go up. Interest rates are low. Federal employees should be glad to have jobs. Their threats to leave for the private sector ring hollow. If real they would have left years ago.

Firing federal employees who fall behind in their taxes. (Coburn and Chaffetz). If they don’t pay their taxes, we shouldn’t have to pay their salaries.

Two week furloughs without pay (Coffman). I don’t recall the federal government falling apart during the recent snow storms. Nor do I recall the federal government falling apart during mid August or the Christmas holiday season where you can typically hear a pin drop in most federal agencies.

I appreciate that many BVBL readers are federal employees and no offense intended, but you do know that most of you have it pretty good (or you’d be doing something else).

I would exclude the military from any of the above.

32. MPResident said on 23 Sep 2010 at 1:06 pm:

Slim it down, I am not a Federal Employee, but you had the opportunity to apply for a Federal job. I don’t understand people who get hung up over what other people make. That is unless we are talking about a situation like in Bell CA. But to think that Federal employees should take a pay cut or freeze salaries just because you aren’t doing as well is just plain asinine. “Federal employees should be glad to have jobs.” What the hell, how do you think this country survives. There are a lot of federal employees that keep this country running. And just as in any large scale private company, yes, there are bad and lazy employees. But to lump them all together is insane. Again, if you think they have it so great, and I am not saying they don’t, you could have applied yourself.

33. slim it down said on 23 Sep 2010 at 2:41 pm:

You are also quite correct that federal employees are needed to keep this country running. I never suggested they were not needed, nor did I suggest they were lazy and should be fired.

I just think the pain needs to be shared a bit. If the tax payers are making less inthe current economy, then perhaps it’s not a bad idea for that pain to be reflected in the salaries of the “tax receivers”. As to being “hung up over what other people make,” I suggest it is quite definitely my concern if I am paying their salaries with my tax dollars.

In nearly all communities in this country, especially outside of this region, federal jobs are considered THE plum jobs bar none. And even within DC it’s hard to find jobs with pension benefits anywhere near federal pension benefits. Their current salaries, combined with their pension benefits, are really quite high. I’ll bet few would quite even if hit with a 10% salary and benefits decrease.

I’m not jealous of them. I was a federal employee, and a quite happy one at that. Every other Friday off for working an extra hour a day is pretty good deal. A large pension that increases every year is pretty good too.

The local politicians who play conservative on all other issues are not conservative at all when it comes to the salaries of federal employees. Those politicians want federal worker votes, and their adherence to conservative ideological purity goes out the window when those votes are at stake. It’s one of the profound political anomolies of being a politician in the DC area.

34. Disgusted said on 23 Sep 2010 at 6:38 pm:

As I have stated before, I will state again. As a federal employee, I am more than willing to take a pay cut or furlough when times are tough as long as I get a commensurate boost to my salary when the economy is booming. The best raises we EVER got, and they are not raises but cost of living adjustments, was less than 5% in the best of times. Why not tie it to the Dow Jones Industrial Index, or some other measure of market performance? And why Not include the military. There’s no draft - they volunteered just like I made a conscious decision to take a federal job.

As for feeling the pain, I have to agree with MPResident. It is idiotic to furlough a sizable segment of the DC metro area when our economy is actually surviving . Do you not realize what the impact would be? Do you realize it costs more to shut down the government and then restart it than it does to just let it run? Do you not understand that our area’s economy, driven mostly by government, is one reason why large corporations choose to relocate here? If government employees aren’t at work, neither are support contractors. Neither are the ancillary businesses (graphics support, parking lots, etc.). Contracts are not let. Payments to companies under contract are not made. Safety & health inspections are not performed……

Like most ideas from the conservatives, this one is totally self serving and impractical. And most of the legislators are spewing this simply as campaign rhetoric to play you simpletons for your vote.

35. slim it down said on 24 Sep 2010 at 5:48 am:

Furloughing government employees on a staggered basis (i.e. individual days totalling two weeks per year as determined between an employee and his/her supervisor) should be no more disrupting than taking one day off every two weeks as many federal employees do now. That’s what i find disingenuous: It is not a problem when a federal employee chooses to take an extended vacation or to use sick days for vacation days, but use the word “furlough” and suddenly the country will positively fall apart. It is very self-serving.

36. MPResident said on 24 Sep 2010 at 7:31 am:

slim it down, let me take a guess, you are a former federal employee that was lazy and you were fired. Again, if you weren’t, you had the opportunity to apply for a federal job and you would be able to use the sick leave and vacation you would have earned. I firmly believe we all choose the path in life we take and don’t hate other people just because their path was a little more enjoyable.

37. slim it down said on 24 Sep 2010 at 10:51 am:

No. Was quite high up (15 step 10 and also SES). Not fired. Was and am happy. Don’t hate anyone. Just want to keep track of where my tax dollars are going. The high federal salaries in this area cause the cost of living here to be too high for most people. The rest of the country, which is not doing nearly so well as we are here, is subsidizing federal workers here with salaries far higher than “the folks back home.” As a citizen taxpayer I have a right to state this and urge lower expenditures, and you certainly have a right to disagree as you have.

38. Patty said on 24 Sep 2010 at 12:32 pm:

I’m not against all federal workers, just the useless ones.

Try to understand economic theory. Let’s use some logic. If the private sector goes totally bust, revenues would not come into the government. Government revenues depend on a healthy private sector. Economies based on socialism never work. The Soviet Union is a perfect example of this. China is another great example. They depend on the US for their revenues. When our economy tanked China started hurting. Look at Cuba.

Think about it. Use some logic. For this present administration to believe that the best way for our economy to get healthy is for more government spending goes against the “grain” of economic theory.

If the private sector goes totally bust then revenue streams to governments dry up and government employees will do squat to “help” the ecomony.

You got it backwards.

39. hmm... said on 24 Sep 2010 at 1:42 pm:

” The high federal salaries in this area cause the cost of living here to be too high for most people. The rest of the country, which is not doing nearly so well as we are here, is subsidizing federal workers here with salaries far higher than “the folks back home.” ”

They know it, too. At least the ones who pay attention. More than once I’ve seen comments about the tax dollars that flow through the DC area like water, from people who live in areas that aren’t doing so well economically. I don’t blame them, either.

40. Disgusted said on 24 Sep 2010 at 6:32 pm:

Patty,

If the entire private sector went belly-up, you wouldn’t have to worry about the government…there wouldn’t be one! Neither would the US exist. And quite unlikely. They only lucid comment is offered by slim it down mentioning the staggered furlough. However, I noticed, Patty, you conveniently overlooked my statement on paying federal employees more when the economy booms. Fair is fair. Also, the furlough would likely involve all federal employees around the country - even those in economically depressed areas. Finally, did all those civic minded CEOs take paycuts? Did they share their employees pain?

Federal salaries are higher in most metropolitan areas - just like private sector salaries are - such as in New York, Chicago, LA, San Francisco and Dallas. An engineer in the private sector in East BF Alabama is not going to get the same salary as one in LA or San Jose. Washington is the location of most department and agency headquarters, which will always have a higher average salary. Don’t corporate HQ employees average higher salaries than those in the field?. I think they do.

And Greg L, I’m still waiting for a cogent explanation from you about how I’m digging a hole for myself. See if you can do it without using words like deranged, mental, liberal, etc. A cogent, succinct explanation.

41. Citizen12 said on 24 Sep 2010 at 7:09 pm:

As a long time on and off resident of the Washington Metro Area, My two cents……

While the federal jobs in the metro area account for around 27% of the work force, the growth of this area over the last 40 plus years has be largely due to the relocation of many private sector jobs which do work with the federal government. The pay scale for many of these jobs not only exceeded federal wages but went through the roof at every economic boom.

I don’t know too many “regular Joe” federal employees living in Potomac, Great Falls, Fairfax Station, and other similar areas. But there are a ton of private industry types who do.

The fact is every government expansion feeds the growth in private sector jobs in the industries which do work with the federal government. And the competitive market for top flight employees drives up the salaries, which in turn help drive up the need for more tax dollars to by their goods.

The federal salaries in the Washington region are higher than in other regions because this is an expensive area to live in. They are not the cause for the higher cost of living.

On average the cost which drives all others in this area is real estate. Due to the high transient nature of this area the housing turn over has been far exceeding the national average for years and so has the appreciation rate, often times as much as four times the national average.

42. Patty said on 24 Sep 2010 at 9:49 pm:

Disgusted said,

“If the entire private sector went belly-up, you wouldn’t have to worry about the government…there wouldn’t be one! Neither would the US exist.”

The light is starting to come on.

“And Greg L, I’m still waiting for a cogent explanation from you about how I’m digging a hole for myself.”

You already dug your hole and buried yourself. No need for him to give you an explanation….waste of time.

43. Disgusted said on 24 Sep 2010 at 10:14 pm:

Sooooooo……you are advocating for the total dissolution of the government. Unbelievable!!! Best of luck on that one!

44. Disgusted said on 24 Sep 2010 at 10:18 pm:

And I am still waiting, Greg, since Patty can’t do anything but parrot your posts. You advocating the total dissolution of the US government too?

45. Patty said on 24 Sep 2010 at 10:20 pm:

ha ha ha ha ha ha! Thanks for a good laugh.

Give some people enough rope and they hang themselves every time.

46. Disgusted said on 25 Sep 2010 at 7:48 am:

I’m still waiting Greg!! Maybe you can also explain to me how its in the love of God to obey the law, yet rant and rave at the existence of the government (the same government that pays your company for its consulting services, by the way), which creates the laws, while calling people mentally ill & etc. How do those actions fall in line with “go forth and spread the Gospel”?

Nice comeback Patty. You still haven’t explained either.

47. Steve Randolph said on 25 Sep 2010 at 9:38 am:

FYI - an article in today’s WaPo (C6) headlined
    “A lens on Manassas’s immigration wars”
    ( a little misleading since the focus is on
    Prince William County’s Resolution.)

Greg fairs well - especially for a WaPo piece-

- “Greg Letiecq, the anti-illegal immigrant blogger,
    confides his religiously based worldview and
    invites Byler and Park to meetings of Help Save
    Manassas. He comes off as a nice guy -
    a little to sure of himself, but not a caricature.”

” ‘Not only do we want to send them back’
    he says, ‘ we want to send them back
    with love.’ “

48. Anonymous said on 25 Sep 2010 at 9:38 am:

C’mon, man! Just cut-n-paste from your manifesto. Guys like you ALWAYS have a manifesto.

49. Steve Randolph said on 25 Sep 2010 at 1:49 pm:

FYI - The Manassas City Fire Marshal and ATF have called a
    press conference for 5PM today at the Sumner Lake
    Community Center. Apparently they have discovered the
    cause of the fire.

50. Disgusted said on 25 Sep 2010 at 2:05 pm:

Steve, I think you made a typo. He meant he’d love to send them back, right?

I saw the YouTube video where he explained that concept of love for the illegal. What a pant load. Sorry, more like heresy. What a perversion of the gospel. That was right after watching the video about how he showed up at the Cornerstone 7-11 in combat fatigues screaming at the illegal day-workers. They were disturbed enough to call the PWPD, who pulled him over. Then he goes off on them. Then he writes about it on this site. Yet I’m the one with mental issues.

I was the one asking for the manifesto as well. Sorry for the mistake. I was in a hurry.

51. Steve Randolph said on 25 Sep 2010 at 2:18 pm:

Disgusted-
    The quote was in the WaPo article - I’ll double check it.

52. Greg L said on 25 Sep 2010 at 2:59 pm:

Actually, “disgusted”, that may be the case. You swallow wholesale a bunch of footage deliberately edited to push a political agenda and outright lies by Mexicans Without Borders, and yes, it does lead one to those kinds of questions. Those that trumpet the virtues of the far left definitely arouse suspicions.

53. Disgusted said on 26 Sep 2010 at 9:59 am:

I was mindful of and considered that point. Being one of the participants, however, causes me to be equally mindful of your defense, just to be upfront with you. But I saw the video of you reading the bible, Greg, from inside your own home. You allowed them in. You may have been duped, but more likely naive. Being a lifelong, imperfect Christian, however, I found your position of sending them back “with love” to be a stretch and thin cover to religiously justify your motives. Your unchristian comments littered throughout this blog are clear evidence of a lack of consistent demonstration of Christian love (works demonstrating one’s faith) that is the underpinning of your position. Hence the motivation to call you out anytime I see your inconsistencies, which erode and marginalize our common (in the politics make strange bedfellows vein) desire to secure our borders.

And I still would like your insights on my small business themes in this thread vs just calling me names. I’m willing to have a dialog. Are you willing to back up your emotional comments with a cogent answer? My guess is you never will, and that is an insightful answer in itself. Too bad.

54. Greg L said on 26 Sep 2010 at 12:10 pm:

Here’s but one example of the way those filmmakers worked so hard to try to dishonestly attack me, and it saddens me that people ignorantly buy into their attacks.

We had a HSM meeting at a middle school auditorium not long after the Rule of Law Resolution was adopted, and it developed an atmosphere of a pep rally, complete with a lot of elected officials who were getting accolades for the work they’d done. By the middle of the meeting the atmosphere got a little uncomfortable for me with all the rah-rah and I decided to step in and move it in a bit of a more productive direction, so I stepped in to speak.

I talked about how I understood the frustration and outrage that people felt about what was happening about the illegal immigration problem, but that the illegal aliens themselves aren’t the enemy. I talked about how they’re victims as well, exploited by unscrupulous businesses and those who want to make a buck off the problem. They’re robbed of their culture, their sense of place, and their safety. I told folks that while we do want to send illegal aliens back, it’s not because we despise or hate them. We want to send them back, but we do it out of love, not hate. That resonated tremendously with the audience, and I managed to inspire a more productive tone for the rest of the meeting.

Of course the filmmakers decided to take my conclusion, rip it away from the context, and associate it not with what I was productively trying to accomplish, but with the issue I was trying to address in order to make me look like some kind of monster. Their attempt to paint me as a hatred-filled wingnut should have been something I would have recognized earlier, but at that point I hadn’t developed a deep distrust of folks like them because I hadn’t been subjected to the abuse of the left — yet.

Anyways, the point is that taking those folks at face value is a dangerous thing. Don’t fall into that trap. Don’t assume anything in that footage resembles the truth because everything they did was an absolutely deliberate effort to misrepresent what they witnessed. I tried to do a good thing, and they ended up trying to crucify me for it. You’d think that since I was actually doing something that most of the lefties would generally approve of, I’d get credit for it. Instead, they try to attack me.

Don’t buy into their “framing” so casually.

55. Rich said on 27 Sep 2010 at 10:29 am:

Greg,

I agree on stopping the flow of illegal imiigrants. Unfortunately, several who post on this topic seemingly go beyond this by appearing to be make disparaging remarks about hispanics generally. This tends to provide legitimate fuel for your opponents and it diverts attention and energy away from sound legal, policy and economic points that support acting against illegal immigration.

Repeated reminders that your focus is solely on “illegal” immigration, and that you don’t condone impuning folks just because they are different from “us,” are important.

I believe you have made this point before. A continued acknowledgement of it could be helpful, although I recognize that you will never be able to satisfy certain opponents.

56. Greg L said on 27 Sep 2010 at 10:46 am:

I wish I had more time to police comments and continue to reinforce that point. Unfortunately following the broadcast of Byler and Park’s film on MTV2 last night there’s a flood of dozens of often profanity-laden personal attacks flooding in that is taking more time to deal with than I really have available. Some of this stuff is utterly unreal.

Anyways, I hope that the thousands of posts I’ve already done on the subject are sufficient. I could make a career out of saying things that will potentially (yet probably never) placate the left, and repeat over and over that my concern is only with illegal aliens no matter what they look or sound like, but no one has stepped up yet to pay me for the full-time engagement that would inevitably become.

I figure the left must feel it is to their benefit to misrepresent what I believe, and then demand I recant positions I have never held. The more I engage in that never-ending tail-chasing, the less time I have available to do something actually productive with my time.

57. manassascityresident said on 28 Sep 2010 at 9:13 pm:

Patty said on 24 Sep 2010 at 12:32 pm:

“I’m beginning to agree with the blog administrator….Liberalism is a mental disorder.”

Absolutely!!! No doubt about it!

58. Ted Baker said on 29 Sep 2010 at 4:35 pm:

First time hearing about this website/blogsite, but how did you folks come up with the idea of using Bruce Lee’s name for this website?

I think Bruce Lee would be appalled at the content of this website and am sure he would have voted for Barack Obama!!!

Associating his name here is an insult to his name and legacy and contradictory to his philosophies.

I hope the Bruce Lee Foundation catches wind of this blasphemy!!!

TB