Open Thread: Nightmares Before Election Day

By Greg L | 31 October 2010 | National Politics, Virginia Politics | 22 Comments

The slumbers of our Democrat friends are almost certainly filled these days with disturbing nightmares of the fall of liberalism, prompting ever more bizarre behavior leading up to Tuesday.  What’s your pick for the strangest nightmare-induced campaign decisions by our friends on the other side of the aisle?

1. Anonymous said on 31 Oct 2010 at 5:15 pm:

Krystal Ball’s claim to fame:

Krystal Ball Christmas Party Action Figure only 39.95 each

2. Faithful Catholic said on 31 Oct 2010 at 8:12 pm:

At church today there was a lot of conversation about the DCCC ads on WMAL about abortion. Heard from more than one person that they were definitely going to make it to the polls to vote against Connally after hearing those. Not sure whether they managed to rally the pro-abortion base, but they definitely have the religious conservatives completely pissed off.

Once again the Dem state or national party’s last-minute campaign spending energizes the conservatives. Amazing how the DCCC is better at engaging the pro-life crowd than the Fimian campaign ever was.

3. LJM said on 31 Oct 2010 at 9:02 pm:

I think that the Dem apparatus is well aware of how big a hole they are in, but refuse to acknowledge it because they don’t want to depress turnout.

However, the enthusiasm gap was evident even at the Stewart-Colbert rally yesterday. Aside from the hard-core hippie activists, there is a great deal of skepticism about the Obama agenda from the young people I interacted with in the District near the rally.

I don’t want to take over Greg’s blog post, but here is my first-hand perspective on the crowd dynamics of those who attended the rally:

4. Greg L said on 31 Oct 2010 at 9:31 pm:

Great post, LJM. I highly recommend everyone read about how the nightmare of Obama’s policies is being discovered. Seriously, visit that site and read that article!

5. Fed Up said on 31 Oct 2010 at 10:08 pm:

My nightmare? Obamacare has hit my family hard. My wife just lost her job because the price of health insurance went up so much for her employer that they got rid of her as a way not to have to pay it. Mine just shot up 19%. On top of that, the Bush tax cuts are looking like they are going to expire without anyone lifting a damn finger, so my income will go down quite a bit every month. All of this damn hope and change will have me where the Dems want me very soon, from a 6 figure family income to the soup lines and homeless. Thanks uncle Obama!!!

6. Tillie said on 31 Oct 2010 at 11:01 pm:

stopshouting says she went to DC to work for an event.

She then says: “I arrived at my station facing Penn Ave and the Capitol”
    but she fails to say what the “event” was and why she had a “station” in the above location. Would be interesting to know what kind of station she was manning.

7. Just the Facts said on 1 Nov 2010 at 7:02 am:

Democrat campaign misadventures and sleaze have started. Connolly signs are being place right in front of previously-placed Fimian signs to obscure them. I saw this on Heathcote Boulevard.

8. Wingman said on 1 Nov 2010 at 8:35 am:

@Tillie:
    “At my perch in John Marshall plaza near the Canadian embassy, facing Penn Ave, I had a good viewpoint to observe behavior and the crowd dynamics. I was working a check point for a scavenger hunt/race and handing out labeled candy as one of the “tokens” that teams had to retrieve once they reached my station to prove they had figured out the clue and arrived at the checkpoint. ”

I think she explained quite clearly what she was doing. There was a privately-organized Hallowe’en-themed “fun run”/scavenger hunt for college students in DC that day. There were numerous “checkpoints” for the race throughout the city. I saw one on the M street bridge in Georgetown as I was leaving the city.

I unfortunately was stuck in DC on Sat and can confirm my experiences were pretty much like those mentioned in stopshouting. Trying to get around the Verizon center was impossible, as they took over the streets, shutting down traffic, ignoring the lights, and laughing at/or giving the finger to, any motorist who wanted to get through the intersection. They thought it was funny. I got the impression that the attendees were selfish/childish and smug as well.
    I love that expression, “imperial smugness”.

Comments on other blogs from people who were working in buildings around the Capitol on Sat also affirm her observations.

9. Ted said on 1 Nov 2010 at 10:24 am:

This morning WMAL reported that James Moron was yelling and cussing at a Murray volunteer who dared to hand out Murray literature in “his” (Moron’s) congressional district!!

Priceless.

10. Cynic said on 1 Nov 2010 at 11:51 am:

Unfortunately, most democrats will win in Maryland. Tomorrow I will cast no votes for a democratic candidate and will vote against the recommendations of the democrats on any ballot initiative.

11. Patty said on 1 Nov 2010 at 3:10 pm:

Cynic,

Do you think Maryland is the east coast version of California?

I know some people who moved here from Maryland because they just couldn’t take it anymore.

12. park'd said on 1 Nov 2010 at 3:16 pm:

Personally I am more afraid of RINOs than I am liberals. From what I can tell, Virginia is INUNDATED with RINOs except for maybe one: Jackson Miller. Even McDonnell and Cooch have turned out to be duds so far for the most part choosing to ride the fence instead of taking a stand on such hot button issues that affect all of us here like the impact of illegal aliens in our neighborhoods and pushing to sue big banks for the foreclosuregate fraud. I would really like to see Cooch take a lead on that front but so far not a peep. Those of us here in the park that have been RAPED by the foreclosure crisis could sure use some relief on that front. After all, it’s not like do-nothing Wolf will ever do anything in office, especially not with all of you lemmings here who keep pulling the lever for him every two years while he has done NOTHING to deserve it.

13. Anonymous said on 1 Nov 2010 at 4:34 pm:

Nice try, Tillie, you silly tool.

See you all on Tuesday!

14. USA said on 1 Nov 2010 at 5:17 pm:

Pelosi riding a fishnet stockinged Biden.

But they are riding towards Washington, not towards Teheran - where they belong.

15. yay4tomorrow said on 1 Nov 2010 at 5:36 pm:

LJM said on 31 Oct 2010 at 9:02 pm:

Oustanding recap. Thanks!

16. Anonymous said on 1 Nov 2010 at 6:55 pm:

Dem Perriello Supporters Say “Socialism IS Cool!”

17. Anonymous said on 1 Nov 2010 at 7:19 pm:

Video of the Day: Supporter of Dem Rep. Tom Perriello Goes Into Full-Blown Meltdown Mode After Seeing Signs From GOP Opponent…

November is now, baby.

18. Cynic said on 1 Nov 2010 at 8:16 pm:

Patty,

Yes. Maryland and California are very much alike.

19. Doug Brown said on 2 Nov 2010 at 7:40 am:

park’d said:

“After all, it’s not like do-nothing Wolf will ever do anything in office, especially not with all of you lemmings here who keep pulling the lever for him every two years while he has done NOTHING to deserve it.”

The “noble” Wolf (Cynic) saved us from the Uighurs!

20. Cynic said on 2 Nov 2010 at 10:26 am:

Uighurs, well they are and were all over the place. And, the voters in Wolf’s district should come from all over that district to vote him out of Office.

Bows of the Huns -Did you know that their bows used glue that was not waterproof and when it rained their bows became unglued!

21. Doug Brown said on 2 Nov 2010 at 11:30 am:

It’s a sad comment on the 10th that while most Americans are trying to throw the bums out we’re coronating our’s. Of course, we do get the comic relief of having a Uighur and Hun aficionado who lives in Maryland cheering Wolf on.

22. park'd said on 2 Nov 2010 at 4:03 pm:

I have nothing personal against Mr. Wolf. I’m sure he is a nice man and doesn’t seem like a total sociopath like most Congressmen/women. I just think he has done nothing for the people of Manassas Park in the past 5 years. AT ALL. He’s a terrible rep who remains safely hidden behind the curtain and refuses to get involved in meaningful legislation. We need someone in the 10th who is going to get involved and start to push hard on the things that are important to us: the economy, foreclosures and illegal aliens and their continued overcrowded presence in our neighborhoods. Wolf has done nothing but shill for the banksters and maintain the status quo, yet most people here think he is Jesus reincarnated. Bah.