Manassas Park Municipal Election Guide

By Greg L | 1 November 2010 | Manassas Park | 10 Comments

OK, all you folks in the Park who haven’t figured out what’s happening this election.  This is for you.

Four seats on the Governing Board are up for election this cycle in two separate elections.  In the first batch, you get to pick three out of the following four candidates: Suhas Naddoni, Michael Bunner, Preston Banks and Brian Leeper.  In the second election which fills a vacancy that got filled by the board earlier when Peter Farrell got chased out of city government for questioning why the city attorney was being paid more than double what any other city employee makes, you get to pick between Bill Treuting and Richard Shubert.

The first group is a pretty easy choice.  Suhas Naddoni is at least making noises that he’d like to clean up the corruption in the city and recently complained about the Governing Board buying out Mercury Payton’s contract, an act of fiscal extravagance that borders on the completely insane.  He’s not going to lead a fight to fix local government in Virginia’s worst-run city, but he’ll at least be there for the fight.  The leader in that fight might be the dynamic Preston Banks, an up-and-coming African-American independent who seems like he just might have the right stuff for a long and successful career in public service.  He’s sharp, and I get the impression he’d like nothing better than to try his hand at rescuing Manassas Park from the crushing burden of fiscal irresponsibility, corruption, and residential overcrowding by illegal aliens.  Rounding out that group should be Brian Leeper, a perfect technocrat who revels in the details of such fascinating topics of land use planning, transportation planning and public finance so the rest of us don’t have to.  Leeper helps root out the problem, Banks leads the fight, and Naddoni sidles right along to make a trio that actually seem to give a squat about the plight of Manassas Park residents.

Left out of this is the rubber stamp Michael Bunner, who isn’t going to fix the problems, since he’s lent a hand in actually creating them.  Throw that bum out.

The special election between Bill Treuting and Richard Schubert is a pretty easy choice as well.  Treuting got selected by the governing board to be their rubber stamp for such wonderful ideas as exceeding the state-mandated debt limit which could have put the city into receivership had any of the mental giants on the Governing Board managed to figure out they were violating Virginia Code.  Treuting hasn’t let them down.  Seriously, folks, anybody could do better than this, which makes Richard Schubert the right pick here.

So to recap, voters should select Naddoni, Banks, Leeper and Schubert to fill the board, and pray to God every night these four will throw some weight around and start fixing the tremendous mess that is Manassas Park.  They could do it, if they get citizen support, and with a majority I suspect it will be too dangerous for Paul Ebert to wade in and start filing falsified criminal complaints as a means of back-filling Mayor Frank “Dear Leader” Jones.

1. mpcinsider said on 2 Nov 2010 at 5:40 am:

Thank you for the sugguestion. I will vote for all four.

2. mpcinsider said on 2 Nov 2010 at 8:09 am:

Ah Greg you information is incorrect it is not Mayor Frank “Dear Leader” Jones. It is “Pathetic of MP”. Just trying to make sure you get the right label for him. ;)

3. mpcinsider said on 2 Nov 2010 at 8:31 am:

Since nder state law the maximum debt limit is set at ten (10) percent of the city real estate property valuation.

I wonder how close is MP to that line. I better start looking through the data at city hall to find out. Oh wait I will just ask the treasurer.

4. JM said on 2 Nov 2010 at 1:56 pm:

I’m not thrilled about Naddoni’s plan to have MP opt out of the county library system and open a glorified internet cafe (which he calls a library) at City Center. While it would fill up 5000 sq ft of the very empty City Center, it would mean a reduction in services and no savings for residents. However, I think he is responsive to city residents and brings integrity and accountability to the governing board. More importantly, he adds debate to the process rather than rubber stamp anything the old guard wants to ram up the …er…down the throats of the taxpayer. I’ll vote for him and hope the rest of the board keeps us in the county library system. I absolutely agree with your assessment of Banks and Leeper. Bunner shoulders the blame for the current mess and has never once responded to me when contacted.

I find Schubert to be a good finger pointer and little more. He points out the city’s problems, but ANYONE can see that! We need specifics. We need solutions and a plan of action, and that’s where he is vague. I’m not thrilled with Treuting’s association with the current board members, but at least he has responded to my concerns and took care of a dangerous situation at a foreclosed property adjacent to mine when no other Governing Board member or employee of code enforcement would take action. I just can’t get excited about Schubert.

5. mpcinsider said on 2 Nov 2010 at 4:14 pm:

Naddoni, Banks, Leeper and Schubert

I voted for you and if you win I will hold you to the fire. Remember I am always watching.

6. James said on 2 Nov 2010 at 5:13 pm:

Doesn’t matter who wins. It is all a game. NO elected official has the power to change ANYTHING. See you 12 months down the road. We will still be sitting in gridlock.

7. Anonymous said on 2 Nov 2010 at 5:35 pm:

Sure wish MP could have an advocate who is somewhat more literate than mpcinsider. And “Remember I am always watching.”?? What are you, the Shadow?!?!

8. Anonymous said on 2 Nov 2010 at 8:20 pm:

JM

Guess you got Tretuting back, if nothing changes blame yourself for being a blind idiot

9. mpcinsider said on 3 Nov 2010 at 5:27 am:

Naddoni, Banks, Leeper I am happy you three won. Now roll up your sleeves and fix this mess. I was wrong in my prediction and I am happy with the results. How can I help you three!!

10. JM said on 3 Nov 2010 at 7:21 am:

Anonymous, name calling is the marker of a small mind at work. I posted a statement based on reason, experience and issues. I deserved better than a personal attack in response.

Apparently the rest of the Park agrees with me. All four of my choices won last night.