Good Grief!

By Greg L | 19 November 2010 | National Politics | 50 Comments

Can the government possibly get any stupider than this?

The conversation went something like this:

TSA Guy: You can’t take those on the plane.
Soldier: What? I’ve had them since we left country.
TSA Guy: You’re not suppose to have them.
Soldier: Why?
TSA Guy: They can be used as a weapon.
Soldier: [touches butt stock of the rifle] But this actually is a weapon. And I’m allowed to take it on.
TSA Guy: Yeah but you can’t use it to take over the plane. You don’t have bullets.
Soldier: And I can take over the plane with nail clippers?
TSA Guy: [awkward silence]
Me: Dude, just give him your damn nail clippers so we can get the f**k out of here. I’ll buy you a new set.
Soldier: [hands nail clippers to TSA guy, makes it through security]

This might be a good time to remind everyone that approximately 233 [soldiers returning from Afganistan] re-boarded that plane with assault rifles, pistols, and machine guns–but nothing that could have been used as a weapon.

Unreal.  Our government is dumber than rocks.

1. Dittyman8 said on 19 Nov 2010 at 6:11 pm:

Who would blame the soldier if the TSA agent got butt-stroked in the head?

2. Anonymous said on 19 Nov 2010 at 6:11 pm:

The Muslims who triggered this entire heightened security mess with their jihadi terror attacks expect VIP exemptions from such indignities.

3. Anonymous said on 19 Nov 2010 at 6:46 pm:

CBS) A flight attendant and cancer survivor said she was forced to remove and show her prosthetic breast to a TSA agent during a security pat-down.
    Cathy Bossi of Charlotte, who has been a flight attendant for the past 32 years, told CBS Affiliate WBTV that in August she was asked to go through the new full-body scanners at Charlotte Douglas International Airport.

As a 3-year breast cancer survivor Bossi said she didn’t want the added radiation through her body, but reluctantly agreed.

“The TSA agent told me to put my ID on my back,” Boss told WBTV correspondent Molly Grantham. “When I got out of there, she said because my ID was on my back, I had to go to a personal screening area.”

Bossi was taken to a private room where two female Charlotte TSA agents began what she calls an “aggressive” pat-down.

Bossi said the exam halted when they got around to feeling her right breast - the one where she’d had surgery.

“She put her full hand on my breast and said, ‘What is this?’ Bossi recalled. “And I said, ‘It’s my prosthesis because I’ve had breast cancer.’ And she said, ‘Well, you’ll need to show me that.’”

Bossi was asked to remove her prosthetic breast from her bra and show it to the agent.

She said she did not take down the name of the agent because of the “horrific” nature of the experience.

“It just blew my mind. I couldn’t believe that somebody had done that to me,’” she told WBTV.

Bossi has since contacted the flight attendants union’s Legislative Affairs Team.

She says there are better alternatives to such intrusive examinations.

“There are blowers and there are dogs that could sniff out bombs,” she said. “There’s no reason to have somebody’s hands touching your body parts.”

A TSA representative told WBTV that agents are allowed to ask to see and touch any passenger’s prosthetic, but aren’t supposed to remove them. Later, the TSA contacted the station and said they would review the Bossi matter.

How would you like having this calibre of rent-a-cop having a go at your child, wife or mother in a private room at the airport?

Who the hell is screening these screeners?

4. Anonymous said on 19 Nov 2010 at 8:05 pm:

TSA Enhanced Screening Procedures Explained

5. anon said on 19 Nov 2010 at 8:28 pm:

So as long as you don’t have ammo, TSA will let you take unloaded guns and rifles on a plane? I don’t know about this story. Is TSA really that stupid to allow this precedent?

6. Anonymous said on 19 Nov 2010 at 8:37 pm:

The TSA is out of control

7. Anonymous said on 19 Nov 2010 at 8:45 pm:

Too Cowardly To Question Profiling Taboo

By CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER

Ah, the airport, where modern folk heroes are made. The airport, where that inspired flight attendant did what everyone who’s ever been in the spam-in-a-can crush of a flying aluminum tube — where we collectively pretend that a clutch of peanuts is a meal and a seat cushion is a “flotation device” — has always dreamed of doing: pull the lever, blow the door, explode the chute, grab a beer, slide to the tarmac and walk through the gates to the sanity that lies beyond.

Not since Rick and Louis disappeared into the Casablanca fog headed for the Free French garrison in Brazzaville has a stroll on the tarmac thrilled so many.

Who cares that the crazed steward got arrested, pleaded guilty to sundry charges, and probably was a rude, unpleasant SOB to begin with? Bonnie and Clyde were psychopaths, yet what child of the ’60s did not fall in love with Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty?

And now three months later, the newest airport hero arrives. His genius was not innovation in getting out, but deconstructing the entire process of getting in.

John Tyner, cleverly armed with an iPhone to give YouTube immortality to the encounter, took exception to the TSA guard about to give him the benefit of Homeland Security’s newest brainstorm — the upgraded, full-palm, up the groin, all-body pat-down. In a stroke, the young man ascended to myth, or at least the next edition of Bart-lett’s, warning the agent not to “touch my junk.”

Not quite the 18th-century elegance of “Don’t Tread on Me,” but the age of Twitter has a different cadence from the age of the musket. What the modern battle cry lacks in archaic charm, it makes up for in full-body syllabic punch.

Don’t touch my junk is the anthem of the modern man, the Tea Party patriot, the late-life libertarian, the midterm election voter.

Don’t touch my junk, ObamaCare — get out of my doctor’s examining room, I’m wearing a paper-thin gown slit down the back. Don’t touch my junk, Google — Street View is cool, but get off my street. Don’t touch my junk, you airport security goon — my package belongs to no one but me, and do you really think I’m a Nigerian nut job preparing for my 72-virgin orgy by blowing my johnson to kingdom come?

In “Up in the Air,” that ironic take on the cramped freneticism of airport life, George Clooney explains why he always follows Asians in the security line:

“They pack light, travel efficiently, and they got a thing for slip-on shoes, God love ‘em.”

“That’s racist!”

“I’m like my mother. I stereotype. It’s faster.”

That riff is a crowd-pleaser because everyone knows that the entire apparatus of the security line is a national homage to political correctness. Nowhere do more people meekly acquiesce to more useless inconvenience and needless indignity for less purpose.

Wizened seniors strain to untie their shoes; beltless salesmen struggle comically to hold up their pants; 3-year-olds scream while being searched insanely for explosives — when everyone, everyone, knows that none of these people is a threat to anyone.

We pretend that we go through this nonsense as a small price paid to assure the safety of air travel. Rubbish. This has nothing to do with safety — 95% of these inspections, searches, shoe removals and pat-downs are ridiculously unnecessary.

The only reason we continue to do this is that people are too cowed to even question the absurd taboo against profiling — when the profile of the airline attacker is narrow, concrete, uniquely definable and universally known. So instead of seeking out terrorists, we seek out tubes of gel in stroller pouches.

The junk man’s revolt marks the point at which a docile public declares that it will tolerate only so much idiocy. Metal detector? Back-of-the-hand pat? OK. We will swallow hard and pretend airline attackers are randomly distributed in the population.

But now you insist on a full-body scan, a fairly accurate representation of my naked image to be viewed by a total stranger? Or alternatively, the full-body pat-down, which, as the junk man correctly noted, would be sexual assault if performed by anyone else?

This time you have gone too far, Big Bro’. The sleeping giant awakes. Take my shoes, remove my belt, waste my time and try my patience. But don’t touch my junk.

8. Tillie said on 19 Nov 2010 at 10:25 pm:

Who told you about this conversation?

Did this conversation actually take place?

9. Ted said on 20 Nov 2010 at 2:03 pm:

Ron Paul has introduced a bill regarding this situation which has been referred to the Judiciary Committee

HR 6416

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the ‘American Traveller Dignity Act of 2010′.

SEC. 2. NO IMMUNITY FOR CERTAIN AIRPORT SCREENING METHODS.

No law of the United States shall be construed to confer any immunity for a Federal employee or agency or any individual or entity that receives Federal funds, who subjects an individual to any physical contact (including contact with any clothing the individual is wearing), x-rays, or millimeter waves, or aids in the creation of or views a representation of any part of a individual’s body covered by clothing as a condition for such individual to be in an airport or to fly in an aircraft. The preceding sentence shall apply even if the individual or the individual’s parent, guardian, or any other individual gives consent.

Now of course our policies and strategy for air travel security should be reconsidered in their entirety, but perhaps this is at least a beginning to regain our national sanity.

10. Jack said on 20 Nov 2010 at 5:15 pm:

NEVER underestimate the government’s ability to do something even more stupid than previously.

11. Anonymous said on 20 Nov 2010 at 7:27 pm:

Right you are, Jack.

“Security Causes Huge Inconvenience for ALL OF US” says Obama

Then get rid of the fu*&ing reason that the TSA has to even exist. A brain damaged monkey could figure this out.

ALL OFF US, Mr. “Due to the in-flight actions of one Nigerian Muslim tard, fiddle the private parts of every man, woman and child infidel who feels entitled to fly….”

ALL OF US? Not so fast with that group grope guarantee…

“The head of Homeland Security has indicated the government is considering the request of an Islamic organization that has suggested Muslim women be allowed to pat themselves down during a full body search that is part of new enhanced procedures at airports”

…Muslim women be allowed to pat themselves down…

I am so dumbfounded by that line that I can’t even formulate a response.

12. Anonymous said on 20 Nov 2010 at 8:46 pm:

This crap makes me just sick:

“I was absolutely humiliated, I couldn’t even speak,” said Thomas D. “Tom” Sawyer, 61, of Lansing, Mich. Sawyer is a bladder cancer survivor who now wears a urostomy bag, which collects his urine from a stoma, or opening in his stomach. “I have to wear special clothes and in order to mount the bag I have to seal a wafer to my stomach and then attach the bag. If the seal is broken, urine can leak all over my body and clothes.”

On Nov. 7, Sawyer said he went through the security scanner at Detroit Metropolitan Airport. “Evidently the scanner picked up on my urostomy bag, because I was chosen for a pat-down procedure.”

My neighbors 5 year old daughter has been undergoing treatment for childhood leukemia for the past eight months.

Because leukemia patients require frequent IV treatments, either for chemo, transfusions, or antibiotics, an implanted IV device called a “right atrial catheter” is often used to avoid having the patient undergo countless needles. This is a small tube which goes through the skin of the chest, into a large vein that leads to the heart.

The device implanted in this little girls chest would, because of a small metal disk part set in the skin, set off any airport alarm. An untrained gloved hand running over or pushing in that portion of her chest would feel a hard lump, and could cause pain and/or dislodge the device.

13. mpresident said on 20 Nov 2010 at 9:04 pm:

People, lets get a grip on reality. There are people out there that would do anything to blow up a plane over the US. If the TSA tells me I have to fly naked to ensure my safe arrival, I am flying naked. I realize I am in the minority here and expect to take a lot of heat, but these stories are far and few between. I agree there has to be some common sense used and most likely they haven’t, but I really don’t see any problems with the scanners or pat downs. I heard a saying, not all muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are muslims, but even that saying isn’t exactly true, look at the Oklahoma City bombing. We need to be vigilant.

14. Anonymous said on 20 Nov 2010 at 9:36 pm:

“LISBON, Portugal (AP) — President Barack Obama says he understands the frustrations of U.S. airline passengers who are subject to intrusive security screenings.

He says he’s asked security officials whether there’s a less intrusive approach.

But Obama says that security officials have told him that the current procedures are the only ones considered effective enough right now to guard against terrorist threats.

Obama doesn’t have to pass through normal airport security himself, so he says he hasn’t experienced the new patdowns and imaging devices now in use.”

He says he’s asked security officials whether there’s a less intrusive approach????? Who does this fool think he is fooling?

These enhanced security procedures are the result of an Executive Order…this crap was not passed by congress, or instituted by the TSA….

Inasmuch as it was an Executive Order to instruct TSA to violate everyone’s Fourth Amendment protection against warrantless searches and seisures, then Obama is ordering them directly to violate the law. Obama is the one who put this intrusion in place.

15. Ted said on 20 Nov 2010 at 9:41 pm:

Vigilant–keenly watchful to detect danger; wary.

Keenly–characterized by strength and distinctness of perception; extremely sensitive or responsive

Putting 3 year old children and 85 year old men and women through these kind of procedures is not being “vigilant” or “keenly watchful”. It is stupid, inefficient, offensive, laughable and proof that the terrorists are winning the struggle as a mindless bureacracy shepherds the American sheeple through its security fiefdom.

This whole farce reminds of the the first “Airplane” movie in which Iranian terrorists carrying machine guns and rocket launchers are passed through airport security without a second look while a little old lady who sets off the alarm gets thrown against the wall by a half a dozen security types.

16. Jack said on 20 Nov 2010 at 10:17 pm:

I’ve posted this elsewhere, and I will post it here. The TSA needs to back off, and our State Department needs to tell the Saudi’s we will hold them responsible for any terrorist attacks on Americans, anywhere in the world. After the first such attack, Mecca is gone. After the second, Medina. After the third, Riyadh.

In the meantime, we dump a B52-load of “pork byproducts” on Mecca, and let them go on a pilgrimage to a city hip-deep in pig poop. It’s time to start acting like a nation at war, not a nation of pansies.

17. Anonymous said on 20 Nov 2010 at 10:48 pm:

“There are people out there that would do anything to blow up a plane over the US.”

Case in point, this potential terror threat:

“If the TSA tells me I have to fly naked to ensure my safe arrival, I am flying naked.”

How about naked, crawling on all fours, made to wear a dog muzzle, leg irons and herded to the mandatory pre-boarding de-lousing showers — all the better to ensure your safe arrival, naturally.

Anyone who thinks this is about ensuring safety and not control and power is insane.

18. Anonymous said on 21 Nov 2010 at 8:25 am:

If you don’t like it then don’t fly. NO president including your beloved Reagan or W had the balls to really do anything if another country messed with us. Now grannie might get her pee-pee touched and it’s all of a sudden a big problem.

19. Anonymous said on 21 Nov 2010 at 9:47 am:

“Now grannie might get her pee-pee touched and it’s all of a sudden a big problem.”

CAIR thought so.

“Are there ANY Muslim grannies in line? Any Muslim gals trying to fly today - grannies, girls, no matter, step forward all to a claim your rightful complementary VIP pass, an EO exclusive right - a privileged perk, to pat down your own pee-pee in private and a single declarative statement of “danger free pee-pee in the house!” is all that will be required of you”

…Muslim women be allowed to pat themselves down…

…Muslims allowed a pass…..

20. Anonymous said on 21 Nov 2010 at 10:16 am:

“At this point the procedures that the TSA are putting in place are the only ones that are effective against the kind of threat we saw with the Christmas day bomber.” says Obama

AGAIN, Barry, it is YOU, the executive, who calls the shots from the executive office, who ordered these government TSA procedures be put in place with an executive order. TSA operates under your orders so stop pretending that TSA is somehow capable of independantly calling the shots. What a disgusting, cowering coward you are.

Christmas Day bomber? What Christmas Day bomber? There was a bomber on Christmas Day?
    Oh yeah, I remember now . . . that one was SO important that Obama didn’t even interrupt his snorkeling trip in Hawaii to make a statement over it. He didn’t even think it was important enough to acknowledge, or in any way make a statement from his vacation,

But by golly he did have Janet Napolitano sooth our nerves by announcing that “the system worked”. We now have to endure all this additional “enhanced” crap because, of course, “the system worked” so darn well.

“Christmas Day bomber” has a nice obfuscating ring to it. No mention of Nigerian or Muslim.

Now they’re using THAT loser..a Nigerian Muslim who packed his skivvies with explosives and boarded a plane bound for the USA who chose one of the most holy, celebratory days on the Christmas calendar… as an excuse to toss out the Constitution.

A Nigerian Muslim whose own panicked father notified our government of his sons potential malevolent intent well in advance for cripes sakes… more than once and was utterly ignored by our government …Can’t go after muzzies ya know.. profiling is so abusive, unless it is done with the intent of providing exclusive, selective, discriminative sanctury and services for the select few.

21. Anonymous said on 21 Nov 2010 at 11:00 am:

“…the government is considering the request of an Islamic organization that has suggested Muslim women be allowed to pat themselves down….

…because they are far and away so exeptional, so above it all, so divinely exempted from anything expected from the filthy fray, so sacred, so precious…. so sacrosanct….holier than thou….. That our government is even considering granting any Muslims a special upper class pass is revolting.

CHARGE OBAMA, AG HOLDER, NAPOLITANO, PELOSI , REID, H. CLINTON WITH TREASON. NOW.

Charge: Failing their oaths of office. American law provides for EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER THE LAW.

How many times have each of the above FAILED their Oath ???
    Isn’t ONCE enough for impeachment?

22. Anonymous said on 21 Nov 2010 at 12:08 pm:

“If you don’t like it then don’t fly.”

Hey sparky, ever consider that may be the goal? To make flying as unappealing as possible so more of the general public sits at home? Who does that hurt… airlines…and if they suffer enough Obama can show up with a big fat bailout ala GM and viola! Nationalized Airlines!

23. Isophorone said on 21 Nov 2010 at 12:14 pm:

mpresident:

I think you’re onto something. I can see it now — Naked Airlines. Imagine the ads for “Fly Naked!” There would be some interesting employment screening for flight attendants and pilots, I would imagine.

24. Anonymous said on 21 Nov 2010 at 12:29 pm:

It Begins… US Passenger Arrested For Refusing TSA Screening Process Then Paraded Through Airport in His Underwear

Banana Republic Bonus:

Another woman was arrested for filming the TSA screening process.

25. Anonymous said on 21 Nov 2010 at 1:21 pm:

“The point of terrorism is to cause terror, sometimes to further a political goal and sometimes out of sheer hatred. The people terrorists kill are not the targets; they are collateral damage. And blowing up planes, trains, markets or buses is not the goal; those are just tactics.

The real targets of terrorism are the rest of us: the billions of us who are not killed but are terrorized because of the killing. The real point of terrorism is not the act itself, but our reaction to the act.

And we’re doing exactly what the terrorists want. …

…The surest defense against terrorism is to refuse to be terrorized. Our job is to recognize that terrorism is just one of the risks we face, and not a particularly common one at that.

And our job is to fight those politicians who use fear as an excuse to take away our liberties and promote security theater that wastes money and doesn’t make us any safer.”

Security Theater.

What a brilliant and succinct description of this Obama charade.

26. Freedom said on 21 Nov 2010 at 1:48 pm:

…and it’s all as if the bomb carrying passengers are boarding planes in THIS country, where TSA is inspecting shoes and conducting the screeings….hello, they’re not, they’re boarding planes OUTSIDE this country where TSA has “zip” authority and flying into this country and others.

27. Citizen12 said on 21 Nov 2010 at 2:19 pm:

mpresident said on 20 Nov 2010 at 9:04 pm

“People, lets get a grip on reality. There are people out there that would do anything to blow up a plane over the US.”

****************************************************************

You are right in that there are people out there that would do anything to blow up a plane over the US, but the reality is that these people you speak of are not named Smith or Jones and do not come from Milwaukee, Wisconsin or Okmulgee, Oklahoma.

I would agree that not all Muslims are terrorists, but EVERY terrorist who kills in the name of Allah and Islam IS a Muslim.

We have spent millions of dollars and millions of man hours to develop the skills of criminal profiling and it’s time the American citizens got their moneys worth without the guilt trip associated with “profiling” the misled, misguide and misinformed have come to dump on us.

So its time to stop wasting money checking the millions of innocent travelers and spend that money and effort on zeroing in on the ones who fit the profile, and if THEY don’t like it THEY don’t have to fly.

As far as the Oklahoma bombing goes, tragic as that incident was lets remember that McVeigh and Nichols were not driven by a widely held religious ideology followed by millions of world wide believers, with a nearly one hundred year history of terrorist acts perpetrated with one goal in mind.

28. Anonymous said on 21 Nov 2010 at 3:38 pm:

If Obama’s children and wife were ever going to be subject to these rules, they wouldn’t exist. Only for the rest of us…

I look at where we are now as opposed to ten years ago and I honestly feel like the terrorists won on 9/11.

MPResident, yeah they would blow up a plane, but what next… When they strike at a mall, are we going to have to get patted down there too? Where is it going to end…

29. Rob M. said on 21 Nov 2010 at 4:45 pm:

Uhhh…why yes…it can!

30. Anonymous said on 21 Nov 2010 at 5:56 pm:

“Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing…after they have exhausted all other possibilities.”

– Winston Churchill –

31. Anonymous said on 21 Nov 2010 at 6:37 pm:

What a shame that we don’t have a law that says something like:

“The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated . . . “

32. Anonymous said on 21 Nov 2010 at 6:46 pm:

Look at who got quietly appointed HSA Security Advisor by Napolitano:

And guess where that muslim hijab exemption is coming from:

Guess who’s head of TSA during the Holiday Season:

Yup! Bahney Fwank.

33. mpresident said on 21 Nov 2010 at 10:08 pm:

Anonymous, the key word being “unreasonable”. is it really unreasonable to be patted down getting on an airplane with hundreds of other people where a terrorist could kill all of them with one well placed bomb on their person? No one is forcing you to fly. It is a choice.

34. YankeePhil said on 22 Nov 2010 at 1:16 am:

thanks. Try some of these too……….

35. Anonymous said on 22 Nov 2010 at 7:10 am:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Air travelers buoyed by President Barack Obama’s request for his national security team to consider less intrusive airport screenings shouldn’t expect anything different at airports soon.

“No, we’re not changing the policies,” the head of the agency responsible for airport security said Sunday.

“It really comes down to what is that balance between privacy and security,” said John Pistole of the Transportation Security Administration.

The current threat level is too high to lessen the use of full body scans and intimate pat-downs that some passengers undergo at some airports, he said on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

You got that, mpresident, INTIMATE pat-downs. The government has permitted itself the right to molest anyone seeking to use airlines as transportation.

The TSA, at the direction of Mr. Pistole, is molesting children and committing sexual assaults. These are crimes and far beyond the fray of anything remotely “reasonable”. These are crimes.

Pistole, along with his boss Napolitano and her boss Obama, are accomplices. Impeachment and prosecution are in order.

36. Anonymous said on 22 Nov 2010 at 7:12 am:

“Islamists commit the crime.

Americans receive the punishment.”

There is a perfect word for that:

anarcho-tyranny

“we refuse to control real criminals (that’s the anarchy) so we control the innocent (that’s the tyranny).”

–Sam Francis

37. Fed Up said on 22 Nov 2010 at 8:18 am:

I flew over the weekend. It was a tough choice to decide between adding to the already maxed out radiation that I have had this year or get a government sponsored molestation. It was also a bad time of the month for me to fly as a woman, and yes, you guessed it, the TSA magic imaging machines can see more than you want them to. I was asked to step aside with “You have been randomly selected to have your hands checked.” They waved the wand over my hands and I had to wait while they processed the information. Of course this retired military wife escorting her daughter on a flight is not any kind of risk and doesn’t fit ANY profile. The only thing that led to my “random” selection was a feminine issue. Google and see that this particular issue is a hot topic now, along with the other nonsense. What a waste of time for TSA, not to mention horrible embarrassment for women. Wake up America and stop this madness.

38. Anonymous said on 22 Nov 2010 at 5:35 pm:

“Guess Who Obama Was Traveling With Right Before He Defended Naked TSA Scanners? The CEO of Company That Makes the Scanners…

Coincidence? I think not…

(Tech Dirt)- As the whole mess with the TSA scanners has received a lot more attention in the last week or so, a few folks are noticing that ex-Homeland Security boss Michael Chertoff, who’s been quite busy defending the naked scanners, happens to be making a ton of money from one of the main ones, Rapiscan, made by OSI, a client of Chertoff’s consulting firm. Of course, similar concerns were brought up a year ago when Chertoff was busy promoting the scanners, but it appears that many in the mainstream press continue to highlight his old Homeland Security title, while downplaying his current role making money from seeing those scanners sold.

However, perhaps even more interesting is the news that President Obama was finally asked to address the whole thing this weekend, and (not surprisingly) defended the scans and the pat downs as “the only [procedures] right now that [the TSA] considers to be effective,” to prevent terrorism (while also admitting that he doesn’t have to go through security to get on airplanes, so he hasn’t experienced the scans.)

No surprise there. Of course, what he didn’t mention is that he just got done traveling with the CEO of OSI, the parent company of Rapiscan, the makers of the main naked scanner that is being purchased and put into all these airports. Apparently, OSI CEO, Deepak Chopra (no, not the new agey guy), “was selected to accompany US President, Barack Obama, to Mumbai and attended the US India Business Entrepreneurship meeting…”

Rapiscan? THATS the name of the name of the company that makes the airport X-ray scanners?

Rapiscan? TELL me you don’t pronounce that Rape - e - scan.

39. Anonymous said on 22 Nov 2010 at 7:23 pm:

Having been at the airport over the weekend, I saw a stack of luggage as big as the short bus sitting with only one person, seriously ~15 large carts and luggage. I was under the impression that all luggage must be with the owner and attended at all times according to the announcements made several times. Apparently this was OK at Dulles. One only needed to do a little profiling to arrive at the owners. But nary a person addressed it. I think while the TSA and everyone is occupied over the process it may interfere with something they should be seeing. I simply would not fly now for that reason. Nothing to do with being seen naked or a pat down.

40. Doug Brown said on 23 Nov 2010 at 12:50 am:

I wrote the following piece on airport security in early 2002. I sent it on to Frank Wolf who assured me that he was on top of the issue. Frank, what happened?

41. Pat said on 23 Nov 2010 at 11:44 am:

and guess who ordered the scanners (Chertoff), and who now is employed by them as a Lobbyist?

Fed Up - and how is the TSA supposed to know who you are, that you are a Spouse of Military Retired??

42. Doug Brown said on 23 Nov 2010 at 12:14 pm:

@Pat

But Chertoff is not being paid to lobby for that product by the company but some other issue that company wants our tax dollars for, there is absolutely no connection, no conflict of interest, move along. BTW, there is no truth to the rumor that the other product is a home exit scanner to be deployed in neighborhoods where their a large numbers of complainers.

43. Doug Brown said on 23 Nov 2010 at 12:15 pm:

@Greg L

sme day add an adit feature will ya.

44. Pat said on 23 Nov 2010 at 3:56 pm:

dougy - Chertoff is SO lobbying for the purchase of more scanners - by the same company that he picked for the first purchase of scanners when he was Sec - DHS.

45. Doug Brown said on 23 Nov 2010 at 5:36 pm:

dougy?

Pat,

I’ve been calling Chertoff out for several years. His connection to the firm and obvious conflict of interest has been known for awhile. I knew TSA was going to degenerate into a fiasco when it was being set up and I wrote about it then hoping to head it off, but like the scientist who developed the scanner said in the WPost - simple solutions to big problems don’t really get the government’s attention. I am not surprised at all what has happened, nor am I surprised to find John Pistole in charge and totally tone deaf. A very nice guy in person and the guy who said the scariest thing I heard a bureacrat say in the immediate post 9/11 period. (I’ll save that for another time)

Here’s the link, excuse the repost from another thread.

46. Anonymous said on 23 Nov 2010 at 7:52 pm:

I remembered at least one of Pistole’s scary post 9/11 quotes:

“These individuals are often hiding in plain sight in cities like Lackawanna, Lodi, Torrance and now Toledo,” said in reference to these three Muslim men indicted on terror charges:

Mohammad Zaki Amawi

Marwan Othman El-Hindi

Wassim Mazloum

WASHINGTON — Three northwest Ohio men studied the use of suicide belts and improvised explosive devices in a plot to carry out terror attacks against U.S. troops in Iraq and other overseas targets, according to a five-count conspiracy indictment unsealed Tuesday in Cleveland.

The plot also included plans to set up a dummy foundation to raise money for the terrorist operation, funneling funds and computers to co-conspirators in the Middle East, and recruiting at least two people, both from Chicago, for jihadist training, court papers state.

Officials declined to say how advanced the plot was. But, in a signal of its importance to the Justice Department, Atty. Gen. Alberto Gonzales and John Pistole, deputy director of the FBI, announced the charges in Washington……..

…….Pistole, the FBI deputy director, said the arrests highlight a success in detecting “the enemy amongst us.”

“These individuals are often hiding in plain sight in cities like Lackawanna, Lodi, Torrance and now Toledo,” said Pistole, referring to locations in New York, California and Ohio where the government has broken up alleged terror cells.

Ohio men my ass.

47. Anonymous said on 24 Nov 2010 at 7:30 am:

SURPRISE!

Next step for body scanners could be trains, boats, metro

48. Anonymous said on 24 Nov 2010 at 11:01 am:

CAIR Cites Fatwa Forbidding Naked Scanners, Advises Muslim Women Wearing Hijabs to Ask TSA Agents to Pat Themselves Down…

WASHINGTON, Nov. 24, 2010 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ – The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) today issued an updated travel advisory for those concerned about new airport security measures involving full-body scanners and more invasive pat-downs.

Earlier this year, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) began phasing in full-body Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) scanners in airports as a primary screening method. In February, CAIR supported a statement by a prominent group of Muslim scholars that the full-body scanners violate religious and privacy rights.

In late October, the TSA revised its standard pat-down procedure, particularly for those opting out of the AIT scanner, to allow a much more intrusive manual search of passengers’ bodies by TSA officers.

In light of the growing concerns about the invasiveness of the new standard pat-down procedure and increased air travel during the Thanksgiving holiday, CAIR offers the following updated recommendations to travelers:

* If you wear the Islamic head scarf and you are selected for secondary screening, ask the TSA officer if the reason you are being selected for secondary is because of your head scarf. If the officer confirms you were referred to secondary because of your head scarf, before you are patted down, you should remind the TSA officer, who should be of the same gender, that they are only supposed to pat down the area in question, in this scenario, your head and neck. They should not subject you to a full-body or partial-body pat-down. You can always request to pat down your own scarf, including head and neck area, and have the officer perform a residue swab of your hands.

49. Anonymous said on 24 Nov 2010 at 12:06 pm:

Federal Judge Confirms CAIR is Hamas

Unsealed ruling reveals ‘ample evidence’ tying group to terror

50. Bob Bruhns said on 28 Nov 2010 at 5:54 am:

I don’t see a real alternative to the scanners. And the scanners need to be better than they are now. If people are squeamish about (OMG) somebody seeing their neverminds… well, too bad.

The same people who have no problem with torture and waterboarding are suddenly affronted by necessary security? What’s really going on here? Isn’t this just cheap Democrat-Republican politics? Yeah our security is a joke, and it has been for years. NOTHING was being done about the liquid explosives danger about ten years after it was tried in the South Pacific… the terrorists almost got us with that one, too. Bomb-making materials got onto planes in airport after airport… who’s kidding who? We need better security, not worse. And yes, we need a lot more sense in the application of that security. What we don’t need is cheap politics.

Will we see a huge about-face about this when Obama is voted out of office, even though nothing changed? I fear that we will.