Rise Of The Anti-George Allen Brigade?

By Greg L | 5 December 2010 | Virginia Politics, US Senate | 17 Comments

I don’t know if these rumors are true or not.  If they are, anyone engaging in this kind of dirty campaigning needs to have every political ambition of theirs shot down and burned to a crisp.  Trying to take out potential primary competitors by funding challengers on their own turf is disgusting.

I really hope this is not the case, because I don’t particularly relish the idea of doing everything I can to burn down someone I’ve respected so long because their demonstrated principles are more appropriate to Soviet Russia than to Virginia.  I’ve always respected George Allen, and I was bitterly disappointed when that poseur Jim Webb defeated him four years ago.  Here’s what The Hill had to say about this, and it is disturbing to no end:

Stewart, who is the Chairman of the Prince William County Board of Supervisors, is up for reelection in 2011, a race he said those close to Allen have already warned him about.

“They’ve already started making the threats,” said Stewart, who told The Hill that “someone senior in the Allen camp” relayed a message to his office that they intend to solicit interests to pour money into the campaign of Stewart’s challenger next year.

Granted, I don’t think running for U. S. Senate is the race Corey Stewart should be gunning for, and I don’t think he has a strong opportunity to win the Republican nomination in this race.  Allen has been the presumptive front-runner and isn’t really threatened much by the possibility that Corey Stewart is thinking about running against him for a while.  If Allen is going to respond by trying to cut down our current Chairman of the Board of Supervisors, someone who has done so much good for the county, Allen is utterly unfit to be entrusted by the people with the authority and responsibilities inherent in the role of being a United States Senator.  You don’t reward this kind of raw thuggery with more power.

Simply on principle, if this is true of course, I cannot see anyone in Virginia’s second largest locality even wanting to piss on George Allen if he was set afire.

1. Doug Brown said on 6 Dec 2010 at 9:19 am:

Gee Greg aren’t you overreacting a little? We’re both from Upstate, what you describe sounds like the typical bar room brawl among the guys having a night out, not a reason to airbrush George Allen out of the Republican Party.

2. VA Blogger said on 6 Dec 2010 at 10:03 am:

Greg, PWC is Virginia’s second largest *county*, but it is the third largest locality, behind Fairfax and Virginia Beach.

3. Steve Thomas said on 6 Dec 2010 at 11:00 am:

Greg,

I think you answered your own question: If I were Allen’s campaign team and looked at potential primary challengers, would Stewart be at the top of my threat list? Unless they were completely inept, the answer would be “no”. As a matter of strategy, a broad field favors the candidate with the most name recognition. Looking at the list, a very conservative Delegate from PWC, a Chairman of the BOCS whose signature issue is immigration, and the Chairwoman of the VA Tea Party, I say these three are drawing from the same pool of GOP voters. Allen takes the rest.

Look at the sources here: The Hill and WaPo. Could it be they are trying their own version of “Operation Chaos”, in a bid to protect Webb?

If Tito plans to challenge Corey in a convention or primary, the seeds of that challenge were most likely sown a few years ago, during the RoL debate, and not as a result of some A-Team recruiting efforts, IMHO.

4. citizenofmanassas said on 6 Dec 2010 at 1:12 pm:

I believe George Allen, despite all of his past good for the Commonwealth, has developed into a “me” politician, who thinks he deserves to be reelected to the Senate. He’s grown more moderate over the years as well, and in some ways I can understand that, but most of it just appears to be him changing his principals depending on which way the wind is blowing.

5. Casanova Frankenstein said on 6 Dec 2010 at 1:38 pm:

Got these from an anti-Allen / pro-Webb website from 2006. (http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/16101) Here are some things critical of Allen from the right.

National Taxpayers Union says there are 37 Republicans who are better fiscal conservatives than George Allen, and he is next to last among Republican spenders in Congress running for President

Allen called illegal immigration a “low priority” and has voted against tougher immigration laws

After 14 Votes Against Ethanol, Allen reversed his position when he started running for President.

George Allen, who “used to be a reliable vote against expanding the ethanol industry,” seems to be “rethinking his position.” “Would it have anything to do with the possibility that he may enter the Iowa caucuses and run for president in 2008?” Allen spokesman David Snepp said that Allen is “a lot more open to this process than he’s been in the past,” and has “been able to see where it connects with farmers and helps the local economy.” [Des Moines Register, 5/25/05]

6. hazegray said on 6 Dec 2010 at 5:18 pm:

“Allen is utterly unfit to be entrusted by the people with the authority and responsibilities inherent in the role of being a United States Senator.”

The above statement stands by itself. Besides his “macaca” fiasco, Allen lost to Jim Webb simply because when you compare the two, one is a dwarf whose only major claim to fame is his foorball coach father.

By comparision, former Marine Jim Webb — a Naval Academy graduate — served in Vietnam and earned the Silver Star and suffered physical wounds sufficient to terminate his military service. He subsequently got his law degree at Georgetown during an era when those who had served in the military were NOT popular. He subsequently became Secretary of the Navy in the Reagan (remember him?) administration, and resigned on principle — almost unheard of inside the Beltway — in a disagreement with then SECDEF Wienberger. He switched to the Democratic side during the Bush 43 administration, ran for senator, and was elected….while his son was serving in Iraq. He is a Pulitizer Prize winning writer who has written knowingly of Vietnam, and he has a quick wit — he attracted the attention of RR chief of staff who heard him during a radio interview when the interviewer asked if he was going to see Jane Fonda at a pending event, and he responded that “I wouldn’t go across the street to see her slit her wrists!” While I don’t agree with all his current positions, I believe he has earned the right to hold them, and I have far more respect for him than yet another “moderate” silver spoon Republican who hasn’t — IMHO — paid his dues….and I am a Republican, or perhaps more accurately, a Reagan Democrat.
    I think that those who work hard and play by the rules should be rewarded, and that description fits Senator Webb far better than former Senator Allen.

7. Anonymous said on 6 Dec 2010 at 5:56 pm:

Amen hazegray

8. USA said on 6 Dec 2010 at 6:26 pm:

hazegray - how many times has Webb voted against Obama?

9. Anonymous said on 6 Dec 2010 at 8:02 pm:

USA - about as many times as Cantor voted with W??

10. hazegray said on 7 Dec 2010 at 6:49 am:

hazegray - how many times has Webb voted against Obama?

Go back and read the sentence in my post that begins ” While I don’t agree with all his current positions….”

– Hazegray

PS You can’t buy respect, you have to EARN it….

11. Casanova Frankenstein said on 7 Dec 2010 at 2:45 pm:

Word on the street is that Tito isn’t Allen’s stalking horse, but it could be Marty Nohe.

12. Greg L said on 7 Dec 2010 at 3:47 pm:

That would be wonderful. I’d love to see Marty give that one a shot.

13. Pat said on 7 Dec 2010 at 8:51 pm:

isn’t this just politics as usual?? Didn’t Allen circumvent the primary process, just so that the RPV could pick him as the candidate?

Really not a big deal, this is how it is done.

14. USA said on 8 Dec 2010 at 6:28 am:

hazegray - just a question, really. How many times has Webb voted with Obama?

And the bit about playing by the rules? Wasn’t it Webb whose aide was caught trying to smuggle a loaded semi auto into a federal building? You know, the one whom Lanier forgot to ask how he got from the DC border to the federal building with an illegal handgun - right before she let him go?

Seems like if you are a white democrat, you slide. If you are a black basketball player - you get smoked.

How does that work? I go into DC occasionally and would like to be able to protect myself.

15. hazegray said on 8 Dec 2010 at 9:24 am:

USA –
    1) I honestly don’t know how often Webb voted with the president. As I said, I think he has earned his right to choose in spades. I would recommend “The Nightengale’s Song” for a more indepth description of Webb, plus Ollie North, McFarland, McCain and Poindexter.
    2) You’re half right on sliding in DC if you’re a “white democrat.” Actually, I think if you’re a democrat in DC you slide, period….

16. Disgusted said on 8 Dec 2010 at 7:16 pm:

Egad! Marshall Coleman has already lost….er….ah…excuse me. I meant George Allen. I must be having a retread Republican candidate flashback.

17. J. Tyler Ballance said on 10 Dec 2010 at 8:12 pm:

I really like George and Susan. Susan is the best looking First Lady that Virginia has had, so far.

In the Senate, George was a rubber stamp for “W” and did NOTHING to protect our civil liberties, restrain the federal government, or stop Bush from sending people offshore to be tortured and murdered.

IF, Mr. Allen renounces the mistakes he made during the Bush regime, Virginians may give him another chance.

Jim Webb should run for President. While I differ with some of his votes, and question the basis for his votes on some other issues, Jim Webb has been a very good Senator for Virginia. I want to hear what war-fighting improvement he thinks we could achieve by having homos serve openly in our military. So far, I have read no research that suggested any potential gains in war-fighting ability with the repeal of DADT.

Still, Jim Webb is the superior choice among the current field.

If Jim Webb elects not to run for Senate, I hope that Bob Marshall will get the Republican nomination. Mr. Marshall will tear through the Senate like a Tasmanian Devil. He would really shake the place up and probably do a lot of good on behalf of our citizens in the process.