Jackson Miller On Illegal Immigration Bill

By Greg L | 16 January 2011 | Illegal Aliens, 50th HOD District | 11 Comments

Delegate Jackson Miller recently had a chance to debate someone from the open borders crowd on Fox & Friends regarding a proposed bill that would require legal presence by attendees at Virginia’s public universities and colleges.  Given that taxpayers subsidize these institutions pretty heavily, it makes sense that the slots be filled by citizens, legal residents, and foreign students with visas.

Watch the clip here.

1. Freedom said on 17 Jan 2011 at 8:22 am:

Right on, Jackson!!!!

2. Veteran said on 17 Jan 2011 at 9:00 am:

I smell compromise coming for this bill. If a Delaware resident wants to go to a VA public university or college, they would pay out-of-state tuition. I see the middle ground as requiring everybody who is a legal resident of somewhere else to pay the out-of-state tuition rates. This way the State will keep its nose out of Federal business and at the same time, level the college enrollment playing field for legal Virginia residents.

3. FrauD said on 17 Jan 2011 at 11:03 am:

I have to agree with Del. Miller 100% on this!

Our children attended schools both in and outside the Commonwealth. But, I wonder just how many children of legal residents of Virginia are denied a college education because children of illegal immigrants are given free and easy access to our colleges and universities? Not to mention, the use of college money in the form of grants and scholarships that were not created for their use.

I truly believe that if you make it unappealing for a squatter to squat, they will move on. If every state and commonwealth in the union adopted this law, illegal immigrants would have one less reason to squat here and perhaps return to their places of origin and work to improve their situations there. Gee, what a novel idea!

4. Veteran said on 17 Jan 2011 at 11:51 am:

@ FrauD: You ask a great question: “I wonder just how many children of legal residents of Virginia are denied a college education because children of illegal immigrants are given free and easy access to our colleges and universities?” I think you have just given Delegate Miller his path to adoption. If Delegate Miller can get those statistics (assuming that Va children have been denied school access because of illegal immigrant children) and the numbers are large, then passage of this bill should be guaranteed.

5. Disgusted said on 17 Jan 2011 at 12:56 pm:

@Fraud: I concur with you. Also, I feel for legal residents from out of state that pay out-of-state tuition rates while illegals steal the in-state rates? Go Jackson!!!

6. Veteran said on 17 Jan 2011 at 3:53 pm:

@Disgusted: Wait a minute there. I don’t feel out-of-state people have any more right to an education on my dime here in Virginia than anybody else. Everyone from somewhere else needs to pay out-of state tuition.

7. Disgusted said on 18 Jan 2011 at 8:52 am:

@ Veteran: AGREED!!! Out of state residents should pay out of state rates. My point is, if I was in such a position, and I knew illegals were getting cut-rate in-state tuition, I’m gonna be pissed off!

8. hazegray said on 18 Jan 2011 at 9:09 am:

FrauD: I truly believe that if you make it unappealing for a squatter to squat, they will move on.

You’ve got that absolutely right. We own some small rental units, and our rental agent has been instructed not to even consider anyone who cannot provide documents that prove “legal presence” — like a Virginia Drivers license or green card.
    No sense making squatters feel welcome…

9. Citizen12 said on 18 Jan 2011 at 10:57 am:

Good job Jackson Miller.

While the pro-criminal advocate continued to try to cloud the issue with many variables from blaming the parents for bringing the children here to the fact that they just won’t go away, Jackson Miller stayed on point- they are illegal and not entitled. Period.

10. Robert L. Duecaster said on 18 Jan 2011 at 4:38 pm:

Introducing a bill and working for its passage are two widely divergent activities. A lot of good bills on this issue have been introduced, many by the PWC delegation, and I applaud them for doing so. But let’s see if they have the juice to get them out of the Senate. Let’s see if they’ll argue, cajole, and threaten their Senate colleagues into passing any. If not, we need to get people into office who can and will.

11. Love the USA said on 19 Jan 2011 at 8:22 am:

Robert L. Duecaster, How true your comments are. These guys can say whatever they want, it’s actions and results that we want to see.