video production in Manassas and Prince William County

Major Shake-Up at AFP Virginia

By Greg L | 17 January 2011 | Virginia Politics, Humor & Satire | 23 Comments

Now this should be interesting…

Leesburg, VA: At a joint press conference with Americans For Prosperity - Virginia and former Governor George Allen to be held tomorrow, Governor Allen will announce the formal name change of Americans For Prosperity - Virginia to “George Allen For Governor”, with AFP Virginia Director Ben Marchi assuming the new leadership position of that organization which will be called “campaign manager.”  Initially scheduled as a “town hall meeting,” tomorrow’s event has been repurposed as the campaign kickoff for the former Governor and United States Senator who was defeated by Jim Webb in 2006.

“I had decided to leave AFP and take a job in the dying health care industry that was being crushed by ObamaCare, as someone has to stick around and make the implosion go as smoothly as possible.  This seemed to be quite a bit more challenging than riding around on fancily-painted buses and yakking with people about boring policy issues” said Marchi.  “Then George Allen came by and said he’d let me ride his horses if I did some office paperwork and answered his phones.  I couldn’t pass it up.  It just sounded so exciting.”

Tim Phillips, President of the Americans For Prosperity remarked “Without Ben Marchi, AFP-Virginia wouldn’t be nearly as much fun as before, so we made some strategic changes that would not only preserve our state-level leadership, but position AFP where it could significantly influence policy.  If George Allen doesn’t do what we tell him, the entire staff will start playing Farmville instead of working, and Jaime Radke will take the Republican nomination in a walk.  We’ll have George and the entire United States Senate right where we want them.”

“After my last election cycle, I took a careful inventory of our resources.  Ben Marchi already had a cowboy hat and boots, so those weren’t too useful, but I had horses and he didn’t.  Heck, I don’t have time to play with horses.  I barely have time to watch the playoffs.  So Marchi and his organization come and work for me, and all I gotta do is let Ben ride Macacca from time to time.   It’s really win-win.”

The press conference will be held on January 18th at 8:30-10:00am in the Ida Lee Recreational Center.  For more information please contact ckelley@afphq.org.

1. hazegray said on 17 Jan 2011 at 9:15 pm:

Just what we need….another recycled RINO loser whose major distinction was being born to a father who was a football coach.

I’d vote for Webb first; at least he has distinguished himself the hard way with a Silver Star and Purple Heart in the Marines and service as Regean’s Secretary of the Navy.

2. Anonymous said on 17 Jan 2011 at 9:17 pm:

I’m surprised George would let anyone sit on his beloved Macacca. Man, he just LOVES that horse!

3. Not Dick Cheney said on 18 Jan 2011 at 10:42 am:

hazegray, Webb did receive the Silver Star as you stated. But to clarify, he was also awarded the Navy Cross (the highest award for valor a Marine can receive other than the Medal of Honor) two Bronze Stars and two Purple Hearts. Wouldn’t want to shortchange anyone’s combat record in Viet Nam. Especially one as outstanding as Webb’s.

4. Not Dick Cheney said on 18 Jan 2011 at 11:01 am:

To be fair to George Allen it is hardly accurate to say his “major distinction was being born to a father who was a football coach”. He was after all a Congressman, Governor and United States Senator. Although I will admit that his overuse of football analogies was more than laughable. And the cowboy costumes and Confederate Flag fetish were pretty strange for a guy who grew up in the suburbs of Orange County California like Allen did. But he was hardly the first oddball to sit in the U.S. Senate.

I don’t know about Allen being a RINO. It would seem for that to be true you would have to place the political center somewhere to the right of Attila the Hun. Allen is clearly a conservative.

I still recall Allen running less than truthful ads attempting to minimize and denigrate Webb’s service to his country. I believe that cost Allen votes. It was pretty hard to take from a guy who was spending his time in frat houses while others were in Viet Nam.

Allen would hardly be the best choice in 2012. Far from it.

5. Freddie said on 18 Jan 2011 at 11:09 am:

6. Not Dick Cheney said on 18 Jan 2011 at 12:18 pm:

Freddie, you are right about some people having no memory. So many of them don’t seem to remember much beyond three weeks or think anything that happened more than three weeks ago has any relevance.

Allen’s problem in attempting a comeback is larger than that though. There are many voters who are just too young to have any positive memories of Allen. A voter who will be 22 years old in 2012 would have been a toddler when Allen was elected governor and would have been ten years old when he was elected to the Senate. Most toddlers and ten year olds aren’t really very politically aware. That same young voter would have been sixteen in 2006 and probably was aware of Allen lashing out in a very mean spirited way at a kid roughly their own age who was simply recording the Senator. Their memory of Allen is largely negative.

I suspect that a fair amount of this Allen is a RINO stuff is coming from young people who have no first hand knowledge of the bulk of his career. These kids also have the disadvantage that the recent years when they have become politically aware have been years when the political discourse has been permeated by completely unhinged right wing lunacy masquerading as conservative thought. I’ve known some of them who have called Barry Goldwater a liberal when told of some of his views. So it isn’t shocking that they would call Allen a RINO.

It isn’t the kids fault. Blame a Republican party that has embraced total craziness as if it were thoughtful conservatism.

That is the tide that Allen is swimming against if he wants to make a comeback. And it appears he does.

7. Groveton said on 18 Jan 2011 at 1:36 pm:

Republicans need to start “playing for the main event”. Jim Webb would flatten Marshall, Allen or Radke in a general election. Maybe Webb won’t run and those guys could have a chance. But if Webb runs … someone better start looking through the Republican Rolodex more aggressively. I guess Cuccinelli would have too little tenure as AG to take up the US Senate race. Despite his polarizing influence, I think Cooch could be an effective candidate. But, I assume he’d be more interested in governor in 2013 than US Senator in 2012.

8. Robert L. Duecaster said on 18 Jan 2011 at 4:42 pm:

I wouldn’t call Webb a RINO, either. That would be too charitable. I’d call him a self-indulgent, arrogant frat boy who lost his seat due to his own profound stupidity. I’d write in my goat’s name (Dudley) before I vote for him.

9. Harry said on 19 Jan 2011 at 11:05 am:

Dudley would have a better chance against Webb than Allen would.

10. Not Dick Cheney said on 19 Jan 2011 at 1:19 pm:

The nominee is going to be chosen in a primary. Allen would have to be rated the odds on favorite to win that primary. Add to that the larger electorate in a presidential year (which aided Allen in 2000 with Bush carrying Virginia and will hurt him in 2012 with Obama probably carrying Virginia again) and you would have to predict a second term for Webb.

I don’t know that anyone is going to beat Webb in 2012. Certainly not Allen. But Webb has been a pretty good Senator. A second term for him is not a bad thing.

11. Steve Thomas said on 19 Jan 2011 at 2:52 pm:

“The nominee is going to be chosen in a primary.”

Not Dick, are you 100% sure that the method of nomination has been selected? I hadn’t heard that it would be a primary.

12. Not Dick Cheney said on 19 Jan 2011 at 3:12 pm:

Yes, the 2012 Senate nominee will be chosen by primary. The state central committee voted 48-26 in favor of a primary.

13. Steve Thomas said on 19 Jan 2011 at 5:07 pm:

Not Dick,

Thanks for the info. Considering the results from our last State and Congressional elections, why is it you think Obama would carry VA in 2012 again? It would appear he has lost much of the independent vote he enjoyed in 2008, and can’t pull from Warner’s popularity either. Just curious.

14. Anonymous said on 19 Jan 2011 at 8:50 pm:

George needs to go back under his rock. He is no longer wanted or needed.

15. Not Dick Cheney said on 19 Jan 2011 at 10:54 pm:

Steve, the voter turnout in 2009 was 2 million. In 2010 it was 2.2 million. In 2008 it was 3.7 million. The lion’s share of the 2008 voters who failed to vote in 2009 and 2010 are Obama voters. The bulk of them will show up in 2012.

I believe the 2009 results were largely the result of a superior Republican campaign and a poor Democratic campaign. Candidates and campaigns do matter.

Of Course, Republicans proceeded to attribute the result to all sorts of things that in reality had nothing to do with it. It fit their preferred narrative to proclaim the Virginia result as a repudiation of Obama and an embrace of Republicans nationally. This was complete horse manure. And believing your own bullshit is never a wise idea. But apparently many Republicans chose to believe this nonsense. Which is, I suppose, understandable. Having lost badly in 2006 and 2008 it is natural to be looking for any positives signs of a comeback.

The 2009 victories resulted from having a united party that was highly motivated, having good candidates and running a good campaign. It was all about Virginia. It was not the referendum on Obama that so many wanted to make it out to be.

The phrase “it’s the economy stupid” popularized during the 1992 campaign applied in spades to 2010. Take the win. But know that the Republican gains were made because of the bad economy. It may feel good to pretend that the result demonstrates an embrace of the Republican party, but that is delusional. The electorate was punishing the Democrats for the state of the economy. Which is deeply ironic because the Republicans were at least as responsible as the Democrats for the economic mess. Probably more so. It looks dangerously as though the Republicans are going to persist in misreading 2010 as some sort of hard right turn among the electorate and will blow the success. We’ll see.

You mention independent voters abandoning Obama. Clearly they broke Republican in 2010. But dig into the current polling on presidential approval. You will find that independents are moving back in his direction. Not to mention that Obama’s overall approval numbers have been damned good considering the economy. And his numbers are rising.

Another factor pointing to Obama carrying Virginia again is the weak Republican field of potential candidates. Not a one of them is likely striking fear in the hearts of the Obama folks.

Virginia pretty closely mirrored the country as a whole in 2008. Obama drew 52.9% of the vote nationally and 52.62% in Virginia. With an economy that should be in much better shape I don’t see him dropping off enough to lose the state in 2012. Although predictions this far out are risky. Something major may change the terrain completely. But barring that I’d bet Virginia goes for Obama again.

16. The Bulletproof Monk said on 20 Jan 2011 at 1:16 pm:

“It’s something when people call George Allen a RINO. Some people have no memory.”

Or they’d like to scrub that memory. Mark Levin has endorsed the man. Nuff said….unless the obvious petty crap will now attack Levin. That smacks much more to petty personal politics than it does policy disputes. Only hacks will use the former.

17. Steve Thomas said on 20 Jan 2011 at 2:07 pm:

Bulletproof,

I heard the endorsement too. Here I was reading all these anti-Allen comments and wondering, “Allen, a RINO? When did that happen?” Kinda reminded me of the last GOP convention in Richmond, when some folks were trying to convince me that Bill Bolling was a “RINO”, and wasn’t conservative. I thought to myself, if Bill Bolling isn’t a conservative, than that must make me a RINO too.

18. Not Dick Cheney said on 20 Jan 2011 at 2:31 pm:

Steve, I don’t know if you are old enough to remember the Cultural Revolution in communist China in the 1960’s but it provides a pretty good analogy to what is taking place in the Republican Party today. The “Tea Party” (which is really just a “re-branding” of the far right wing of the Republican Party) is playing the same role the Red Guards in China did then.

Purity and orthodoxy are paramount. No one is safe from being attacked as unreliable. Hence the label of RINO being attached to so many who, no matter what other faults they may have, have long histories as very conservative politicians.

If you are too young to remember it I urge you to take a few minutes to read about it. The similarities are uncanny.

Nothing new under the sun. History repeats.

19. Robert L. Duecaster said on 20 Jan 2011 at 2:41 pm:

I think Allen is too damned stupid to be either a Conservative or a RINO. He’s in politics because he has no other means of supporting the life style to which his father accustomed him.

Time for VA Republicans to find someone of substance to carry a Conservative banner.

20. Not Dick Cheney said on 20 Jan 2011 at 3:15 pm:

Robert, I sure wouldn’t want to argue the position that Allen is a towering intellect. I would lose that argument in a hurry. But I wouldn’t call the man stupid. And I’m pretty sure he doesn’t need political office to pay the bills. Well connected folks like that can always latch onto a paycheck. I don’t think he will be missing any meals.

21. Robert L. Duecaster said on 20 Jan 2011 at 3:44 pm:

I suppose I should have used less provocative language and said that he lacks the intellectual capacity to formulate, articulate, and project principled positions reflecting any particular political or economic theory. He’s an opportunist. If he is the best VA Republicans can field, I prefer either Jim Webb or my goat, Dudley.

22. The Bulletproof Monk said on 20 Jan 2011 at 5:47 pm:

Not Dick Cheney , Appreciate your offering up there in this thread. I agree fully. I’ve seen them come sniffing around the LCRC, and unable to topple us, they flanked us thru the Nova Tea Party –pretty much pushing the founder of that entity to the side and incorporating it for themselves.
    I want to be clear here….in other areas of this state, as well as other states, the TEA Party is actually a voice for the fiscally conservative /No higher tax folks.
    Here in NOVA, it was sadly taken over by social conservatives who’s one issue campaign is foremost, and fiscal reasoning is second. (I get that fiscal responsibility and not financing abortion get close to the same point — but I lose them when they start advocating against homosexuals as a fiscal argument.)

In all other context, I am a stout conservative. Fiscally, 2nd Amendment, and smaller government/ free market matters.

23. The Bulletproof Monk said on 20 Jan 2011 at 5:50 pm:

I left out immigration thru legality. I’m of the mind that if you want to come to America, and you want to contribute to our prosperity, that starts by observing our laws regarding naturalization.