George Allen Camp Calls Me A Bad Name

By Greg L | 22 March 2011 | Virginia Politics, US Senate | 10 Comments

Here’s one that struck me as rather odd today:  One of George Allen’s supporters wasn’t quite happy that in an online poll on BearingDrift.com Allen wasn’t getting the stratospheric levels of support that he thought George was due.  While that’s in no way unusual, what is unusual is the message he sent out over facebook trying to encourage other George Allen supporters to flood the poll with votes.  To wit: “George Allen needs your vote in this poll, if for no other reason, to fend off the trolls who are desperately trying to skew the results.

So everyone who isn’t a dyed in the wool George Allen supporter, or those that might very much like one of the other candidates who may run for U. S. Senate are nothing but trolls.  I guess I should be happy we weren’t called made-up names like “macaca.”

I understand how difficult it can be to enforce campaign discipline among supporters, but you’d think this would be the one campaign that would have communicated the message loud and clear to everyone associated with it that calling people  names is out.  Every time this campaign is seen as doing so in some fashion, no matter the circumstance, all it does is remind people of what George Allen absolutely doesn’t want to be talking about anymore.  At the extreme, doing so might inadvertently communicate to others that this campaign doesn’t learn from past mistakes and there’s some kind of”we are superior to everyone else” meme running rampant among the new “A-Team.”

So even though I voted for Bob Marshall in this poll, I’m not going to get all upset about being called a “troll” by the George Allen camp because I happen to like Bob Marshall a bit better than George Allen.  The next time I get a fundraising letter from Allen I might be tempted to sign the check “Troll,” however.

I wonder if they’d get the joke and laugh about it as much as I did at being called a troll today.

1. AmericaFirst said on 22 Mar 2011 at 6:04 pm:

Allen had a chance - several chances to do something about illegal immigration. Actually at a time where it may not have been so out of control.

He doesn’t stand a chance to beat Kaine. Just because he is out of work and is going through power withdrawals is no reason to sacrifice Virginia for his sake.

Fuck George Allen.

Sincerely,

One of the trolls

2. Lovettsville Lady said on 22 Mar 2011 at 8:04 pm:

They’re giving you grief over at NovaTownHall too! I guess this just isn’t your day! But the democrat jerks (and their wannabee dems) at NTH don’t much like anyone, so you’re in good company!

Your Speakman ad was excellent!

3. Greg L said on 22 Mar 2011 at 10:30 pm:

So the Allen camp fires back. I thought readers might appreciate how the Allen’s folks have SO learned from the debacle in 2008. All of these comments are from the same guy calling anyone not supporting Allen a “troll.”

Well if the shoe fits and he was racking up Radtke votes by the dozens per minute for about 3 minutes, then he’s a astro turfing phony too. He claims to have voted for Marshall… if he did, then he wouldn’t have EARNED the Troll moniker I used to define those who were unethically skewing the poll results like a liberal claims “polls show America wants a bigger governmnet”, and is crying wolf.

If his skin is *that* thin, maybe he should wear a few extra t-shirts so he doesn’t shrivel up in the sun tomorrow.

Is *douchebag* a bad name too? I’ll ask Greg…

Yeah, this is going to be a really pleasant Republican primary.

4. Greg's Courage said on 22 Mar 2011 at 10:36 pm:

One would think that the Marshall camp, one that willfully attracts media controversy and takes a hard line on social causes, wouldn’t be too happy with an astroturf complaint like this from a supposed supporter, lest it appear to have such think skin that the campaign shouldn’t be in a contact sport such as politics. Or worse, that it can’t take ANY critique at all and would therefore never accept any difference of opinion or new ideas within the ranks. That is not representative governance.

If you voted for Marshall in the poll as you claim, then you wouldn’t have *earned* the Troll moniker as it was clearly being applied to the person or persons who was racking up Radtke votes by the dozens per minute for a very brief time indicating that it was not a sincere difference of opinion in people’s votes, but rather an insincere attempt to skew a poll. This is an act of cowards.

Your post is akin to the act of a crybaby looking for attention. Or, an insincere astroturfing complaint that invites liberals and other non-Allen supporters to tear apart the Republican slate of candidates so that no matter who wins in a primary, he/she will be weaker against a Dem rather than inherit 99% of the other GOP votes.

Say Marshall wins, do you think you’re adding Allen voters?

5. Greg L said on 22 Mar 2011 at 10:51 pm:

No, Eric Martin, I just cringe when someone classifies anyone who doesn’t support George Allen as a “troll”. Allen has already gotten slapped down for name calling and to see some of his more well known supporters engaging in the same behavior that cost him the last election is just pretty unwise, to be charitable.

Had I described myself as a Radtke supporter (I do think pretty highly of her) would it then be wise to call me — a voter — silly names?

I’d have thought that kind of behavior would be kind of a thing of the past. I just hope the official campaign for George Allen will display a bit better judgment than some of their more vocal supporters.

6. Greg's Honesty said on 22 Mar 2011 at 11:12 pm:

I’m certain they will. Unless you think Ben Marchi is unqualified to be Allen’s go-to guy and will make terrible mistakes.

To be clear and accurate, no one called you ANY names. So you’re entire premise of complaining about it and crying victim to the world on your blog is disingenuous, to be charitable.

7. Greg L said on 22 Mar 2011 at 11:29 pm:

’scuse me? Can’t you read your own writings?

8. atomopawn said on 23 Mar 2011 at 12:21 am:

Since logic is a big part of my field, I feel obligated to point out that there is a difference between the statement “Some of the people who have voted against Allen are trolls” and the statement “All of the people who voted against Allen are trolls”. The comment you quoted above indicates the former, but not the latter. Therefore, it does not allege that YOU are a troll, merely that some people who ARE trolls also voted for Marshall.

With that out of the way — Allen has no chance against any Democrat with half-decent name recognition (including Kaine) and even if he were able to get into office he wouldn’t do the conservative cause much good. I’m sure his “heart is in the right place”, but he’s made too many mistakes for me to treat him as anything other than a very, very mediocre candidate.

9. The BulletProof Monk said on 24 Mar 2011 at 7:46 am:

Radtke??? That’s funny right there….

10. Harry said on 25 Mar 2011 at 10:01 am: