Battlefield HS On Display

By Greg L | 26 March 2011 | Prince William County | 68 Comments

Since both our kids had artwork selected to appear in the county school’s art show we went on up to Battlefield High School again this year.  While we were there we noticed a lot of posters on the walls encouraging students to participate in the “Gay Straight Alliance,” which I found rather disturbing.  That there’s a club in the county schools devoted to celebrating homosexuality and promising to “make you happy,” be “fun and exciting” and keep you from being “sad and alone” if you join just seems so fundamentally wrong on all sorts of levels.

I know this battle on high school clubs that pander to perversion has been going on for a long time, and we’re probably just too far downstream from the cultural pollution of our society to fix this as easily as the effort should be.  It’s sad when the only realistic immediate option for parents that don’t want to throw their children into this kind of cesspool is to just take them out of the public school system and let it degrade into the lowest common denominator of our society.

1. Anonymous said on 26 Mar 2011 at 4:20 pm:

This is high school. A place where they should be learning to think on their own. Maybe you should pull yours out and go private.

2. AmericaFirst said on 26 Mar 2011 at 4:21 pm:

The only way to shut this garbage down is to get decent, normal people on the school board.

Its time the degenerates got put back in the box.

If we could tie one (or two or three) on the back of each illegal sent back across the border - we would have hope.

3. Anonymous said on 26 Mar 2011 at 4:23 pm:

This is high school. A place where young adults should be learning to think on their own. Maybe you should pull yours out and send them to a private facility where they can be taught to accept what they are told without putting any of their own thought into it.

4. AmericaFirst said on 26 Mar 2011 at 4:30 pm:

How are they thinking on their own by being indoctrinated the degenerates?

The idea of school is to teach young people. Thats it. Not indoctrinate, not intimidate, not infect with broken down, disgusting propaganda.

There are no “young adults” in high school. They are children.

5. Nick said on 26 Mar 2011 at 5:18 pm:

In schools there are two types of activities/clubs- “School-sponsored” and “Non School sponsored”. School sponsored are activities such as academic and athletic teams- where meetings are led by a faculty member. Non-School sponsored activities have a faculty member present but are meetings led by students. If you open yourself up to any non-school sponsored clubs you open yourself up to all of them.

Anyway, the problem with not letting a club like GSA meet is you would not legally be able to have clubs like Fellowship of Christian Athletes and EDGE (another Christian ministry) meet either. Although I understand where you’re coming from here, I would rather allow groups like FCA and Edge meet to pray for students, and the entire culture than keep all groups out. The best way to fight the “propaganda” feared here is honestly to pray that God would give influence in the school to the kids meeting in the groups that glorify Him.

6. Jose said on 26 Mar 2011 at 7:18 pm:

I think its time to start looking a little closer at some of the teachers who sponsor this stuff. I have just gotten off the phone with friend who is a very good PI. Lets give him a little time to put a case against Mr. Ditimy and a few of the others who sponsor sex groups at our schools and then we can use this to go after go after the administrators who encourage this type of behavior.

7. Kris Day said on 26 Mar 2011 at 8:34 pm:

What’s next… Beastiality is Beautiful club??

8. skepp said on 26 Mar 2011 at 9:55 pm:

Intolerance at its best being displayed here.

Degenerates?

Just wait ’til you find out that your nephew, niece - maybe even your own child - is homosexual. It’s not a choice. Why would anyone choose homosexuality?

Look at your comments and tell me if you truly believe that anyone would voluntarily choose homosexuality.

9. Doug Brown said on 26 Mar 2011 at 11:34 pm:

Dear Skepp,

Homosexuality is a choice. It requires at least two people to successfully engage in it. Yes, one can be inclined towards it just like one can be inclined towards gluttony, or even kindness towards others , but it is a choice not an attribute, i.e., race or gender. To argue otherwise is an assault on logic and language. All the best.

10. Gone said on 27 Mar 2011 at 3:18 am:

I wish I could say it as good as this. This country has gone straight to hell:

11. Freedom said on 27 Mar 2011 at 4:37 am:

Nick, so you just “throw in the towel” and suggest that if one “club” is allowed, then all are allowed. Nonsense, that’s merely abdication to political correctness…giving up what the majority consider to be right and accepting what the majority consider to be wrong — just because both choices are out there!

As parents, as school administrators, and even politicians, we all make choices — some are good and some are not so good. As citizens and tax payers, we expect the school board to make good choices - consistently good choices. This is not one of ‘em! “November is coming,” school board!!

Despite the school system’s failure, most parents guide their children, helping them make good choices at an early age. It’s a shame that the failure of the school system to assess the public will and to act accordingly makes parenting that much more difficult.

12. Nick said on 27 Mar 2011 at 6:03 am:

Freedom-
    Not at all- I don’t know why you put “throw in the towel” as if I said that. Go back and reread my comments. It’s not a “suggestion” that if one is allowed, then all have to be allowed- it’s unfortunately the LEGAL truth. It would be nice if administrators could allow some clubs in and keep others out- but as long as one non-curricular club meets in a school, then THE LAW says ANY non-curricular club can meet. Of course there are standards to this, but GSA clubs meet the standards and are protected under the law. I am not saying I agree with that, but we have to live in the reality of the situation.

I’m not saying give up, I am saying rely on the power of prayer and lift up the kids who meet in clubs like FCA. I know not everyone on this board is a Christian, but I can attest to the power of prayer for better influence on kids. I am also a proponent of schools- and obviously have an understanding of how they work- it’s not as simple as you have described.

13. AmericaFirst said on 27 Mar 2011 at 7:53 am:

Skipp - yes, its a choice. Its a choice for degenerates to proselytize in our schools. Which is exactly what this is.

It is a choice for the parents to accept this.

No, I don’t have any homosexuals in my family, and neither do the overwhelming majority of Americans.

These degenerates are a tiny, thank God, but noisy part of our society. Helped along by enablers who attempt to conflate a sexual degeneracy with civil rights, etc.

Whats next?

NAMBLA?

14. gfstiel said on 27 Mar 2011 at 8:30 am:

“”"”I know not everyone on this board is a Christian, but I can attest to the power of prayer for better influence on kids.”"”

You can’t pray in school but you can teach kids deviant sex.

15. Ronald said on 27 Mar 2011 at 10:31 am:

You can absolutely pray in school, you just can’t be forced to.

16. White Cotton Jet Li said on 28 Mar 2011 at 8:28 am:

@Freedom:

Nick’s summary is factually accurate insofar as the law is concerned.

The Federal Equal Access Act codifies that which the Supreme Court has robustly established for a long time: if you create an open forum in a public school, and allow one, you must allow all of the same. If you ban the GSA, which the Division can do under law, it must also ban the FCA and Edge. PWCS opts to allow a limited open forum under law, which extends Constitutional protections to all noncurricular groups that operate consistent with school policy and the law. It’s not “political correctness;” it’s a matter of Constitutionality. You have the right to dislike whatever you want, but your rights don’t extend to telling other taxpaying parents that their children don’t have a right to speech and assembly.

There is no “case” against anyone, least of all the sponsor, Jose. It’s a Division decision consistent with the law.

Ronald is also correct: Students can independently pray, but they cannot be forced or encouraged to do so, any more than they can be forced or encouraged not to. There are very clear precedents on these issues.

Parents have a right to send their children to schools that are totally ideologically aligned with their beliefs. They’re called private schools. But public schools are by definition for all public students, and to that end no vocal group of parents has a right to quash the Constitutional rights of even one child at that school. The Constitution protects the minority from the majority, and keeps core citizen rights beyond the reach of the masses, and the law and Supreme Court precedent very clearly include schoolchildren as rights-bearing citizens while at public school.

Are you prepared to disband the Fellowship of Christian Athletes in order to disband a group of students who are promoting anti-bullying? If so, speak up. But know the law and the consequences before you do, lest you cut off your nose to spite your face.

You can dislike anything you want and express your opinion through your vote, Freedom, but the Constitution isn’t a weapon. It’s a shield, and all public school students are behind it.

17. Joe Doc said on 28 Mar 2011 at 1:51 pm:

Another reason I homeschool my kids.

18. skepp said on 28 Mar 2011 at 2:46 pm:

White Cotton etc.

What a great statement; not just a statement but a list of “true facts”.

The Constitution is a great!

19. David said on 28 Mar 2011 at 4:39 pm:

Let me put all of the comments threatening investigations and everything else to rest. As a senior at Battlefield High School, I created the Battlefield GSA. It was not created by a teacher, an administrator, a school board member, or even a gay student. It was created by me, a straight, Caucasian, sensible student at Battlefield High School.

The posters were created because, regardless of your position on equality, there are students at Battlefield everyday who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Transgender. They are made fun of ruthlessly. Several of them have even threatened to commit suicide. I am not here to argue whether you support gay marriage. I am here to argue for a club that I created so these students can stop getting harassed.

I agree that students are in school to learn, but how can they learn if they don’t even know if they will make it through the school day. I personally have seen students made fun of for all reasons. I don’t know about you, but once “children” start killing themselves because of things being said at school, we have a problem.

I am attacked very often for trying to advance the gay agenda, and that’s fine if you want to believe that. However, let me present you with the reality. As a Jewish student in Prince William County Schools, I was verbally attacked on a regular basis. I wasn’t attacked because I was gay, I was attacked because I was Jewish, short, and “too intelligent.” On one occasion, I was thrown to the ground and kicked around.

I tried to commit suicide three times before I reached high school. Luckily, an organization named the Anti-Defamation League came to my aid and brought me out of a phase that I thought would end my life. After that, I vowed that I would not let the same things happen to my peers and the students that would follow me.

As part of my effort to make sure all students feel safe, I created the Battlefield GSA to specifically make sure students that identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Transgender would feel safe in their own school. They deserve more than to be walking around everyday fearing their own classmates. There are several students in the club who identify as straight. No one is there because it is a “Sex Club.” The students are there because they see that bullying is an issue and they are sick of it.

It is time for everyone to face facts. Whether you like it or not, bullying has become an issue in schools across the country and it is time something be done to stop it. It is not a Gay Issue, a Jewish Issue, a Hispanic Issue, IT IS A HUMAN ISSUE. Stop denying what you know is really the truth.

I thank you to all of the aware members of my community reading this post. White Cotton, continue what you are doing, it is people like you that make me proud to live in the area I do.

20. coexist said on 28 Mar 2011 at 5:54 pm:

As a Christian, a teacher at Battlefield, and an LGBT ally, I am appalled at some of the hateful comments on this blog. I believe the Bible says “Judge not, lest ye be judged” (Matthew 7:1). I find it ironic it is suggested here that an “agenda” is being pushed.
    If you mean an “agenda” to support the rights of all students to feel safe and secure in their school, then yes, you are correct.

There is nothing perverse, polluted or disgusting about wanting to provide a place where often-bullied students can feel safe. It is not infecting people with propaganda when the goal is to help all students to feel protected. No intimidation occurs, in fact just the opposite. All students are invited to attend, and if they so chose, are free to do so. There is no indoctrination that occurs. There is no cultural pollution. You all could not be further from the truth. David is an amazing young man. Thank you for all you have done, and continue to do, for the rights of all humans.

As someone above stated, I believe in the power of prayer. I will pray that the ignorance displayed here will be overcome with truth and tolerance.

21. concerned. citizen. said on 28 Mar 2011 at 7:57 pm:

Wow really? you’re supposed to be adults and you are teaching your children to ignorant and intolerant. you have no idea how teens are affected or for that fact how homosexuality effects YOUR life. Cause guess what buddy a lot of people come out of the closet from bigots like the people that were “appalled” by this. DUDE get over it! the World is round, women can vote, and our president is BLACK. get with the times.
    Oh and you go crazy over a GSA
    yet no one complains when RELIGIOUS CLUBS LITERALLY post JESUS CHRIST IS OUR SAVIOR AROUND A PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL AND PRAY DURING SCHOOL HOURS! get out of my face sir.
    either let EVERYONE have free speech.
    or you can go back to nazi germany

22. Jack said on 28 Mar 2011 at 9:46 pm:

“It’s not a “suggestion” that if one is allowed, then all have to be allowed- it’s unfortunately the LEGAL truth.”

Then change the damned law!

23. Jack said on 28 Mar 2011 at 9:47 pm:

“Intolerance at its best being displayed here.”

Good. There is no reason we should tolerate the advocation of sinful activity in the schools.

24. Red, White lue said on 28 Mar 2011 at 10:09 pm:

Coexist,
    don’t just quote what you want out of the Bible, quote all of it. I think it could easily be found in that same Book that homosexuality is an “abomination”. I don’t take sides for or against such acts but don’t pick the same Book that condemns it and you make it out as if you can find the passage to condemn others who find offense in such acts (judging others which we all do every day or we all would vote for one person).

Schools are not an institution for “learning on their own” as another blogger said. It is a place where a person is supposed to be taught english, science, math, languages, social studies, economics, and the like. Parents should decide on the ethics of society and the values of that family. The school is not the “family” and fails, miserably, to really teach all values anymore, the goodness of America, the freedoms we enjoy, the culture of our country, the laws and the a Constitution and the celebration of our history, our economic prowess and the how America has stood as the beacon of hope for so many for these past few centuries as well as, how we, as Americans, are the one of the few countries where we do allow a person to develop into whatever they aspire to be, earned and rewarded, not given and entitled.

Schools should not exist for exclusive cultural purposes. These young folks will mature into adults and they can decide their values when it is time. Tolerance and truth will come when people accept the fact that a person is free to exercise what they believe. Schools should not be this source for “education”. Schools should stick to the ABCs and the family will teach what as it sees fit whether it is conforming to others opinion or not. When schools and the Boards are run by many leftist, socialist, or those who may oppose others views, this is no longer education but indoctrination by strangers with different values, ideals, direction and cultural views.

25. Anonymous said on 29 Mar 2011 at 9:50 am:

As usual the leftists scream intolerance, bigotry, etc. when you try to limit activities like this in the schools.

26. skepp said on 29 Mar 2011 at 10:40 am:

Anon.

So what do YOU call it?

27. Jay said on 29 Mar 2011 at 12:50 pm:

Waaaah! Dem kweers wont tuh help eech uther in mah skool! Waaah! dey arent ushamed anymur! Waaah!

Keep your kids at home and give them homeschool lessons on how to use the deep-fryer in your double-wide if you’re terrified of a pansy organization like this.

Really - the issues that face education today and this is the fight people are willing to pick. . .

28. Anonymous said on 30 Mar 2011 at 2:06 pm:

as usual the right wing pigheads want to keep all minorities from having the same rights as they do

29. Doug Brown said on 30 Mar 2011 at 10:49 pm:

@anon

But aren’t right wing pigheads also a minority? So are you saying that they do not want themselves to have the same rights as they do have?

How about we ban all clubs from the schools until we finally teach students how to read, write, count and compose a coherent rant on a web site?

30. Greg L said on 30 Mar 2011 at 11:17 pm:

I really enjoy this “you gotta accept them all or have none line.” It is so easy to show that’s utter nonsense.

For example, let’s say a kid wants to have a club celebrating the confederacy, complete with the old battle ensign of starts & bars? Think they’d be allowed to do that? Or how about if some deeply misguided kid wants to establish a chapter of the Hitler Youth? Would we still hear this line of “you have to accept them all” then? No, they’d shut it down in a heartbeat and be right to do so.

Or maybe there’s a kid who connects with NAMBLA and would like to have philosophical discussions with other students on the subject of Man-Boy love in ancient Greece? Are they going to be allowed to plaster signs up in the hallways encouraging children to participate in the “fun and excitement” those discussions would hold? Yeah, I’ll bet that fig leaf of having to accept everything would disappear in an instant.

No, the truth is there are lines between what is acceptable and what is not. The school draws those lines. Pretending they don’t exist so school administrators can avoid accountability for their support of homosexuality is a farce.

31. Freedom said on 31 Mar 2011 at 4:31 pm:

32. Trawll said on 1 Apr 2011 at 2:06 pm:

>don’t just quote what you want out of the Bible, quote all of it. I think it could easily be found in that same Book that homosexuality is an “abomination”.

Ah, the infamous line from Leviticus, I take it? Which is next to lines denouncing blended fabrics and the mixing of meat and dairy as equally abominable. Quote one, gotta quote ‘em all, eh?

33. toleranceisagoodthing said on 1 Apr 2011 at 3:36 pm:

“Thanks Greg. …and how long would a “teenage KKK sympathizers” club exist if some nut-case proposed THAT as a salve for the woes of those contemplating suicide?”

The fact that you would even compared the GSA to something as ridiculous as a KKK sympathizers group existing in a public school is disgusting.

I teach at Battlefield HS and I am so, SO thankful that David worked so hard to create a safe place where students can feel accepted and loved for who they are. The students in that group have saved each other’s lives in some cases — I personally know a few students who are still sitting in my classroom today because of GSA and the support they get there. Instead of bashing a school for being tolerant, how about you be thankful some poor child isn’t lying dead waiting to be found by his parent because children like yours tell them they’re going to rot in hell for being who they are.

34. Freedom said on 1 Apr 2011 at 4:20 pm:

I’m not comparing the two groups at all…simply debunking the premise that if you accept one, you must accept them all. The issue is simply what the school will tolerate not only in terms of permitting such meetings, but also by promoting attendance through advertisement on the school walls.

The case you make for GSA could be made for any cause…are you willing to accept any cause with open arms? I think not.

35. MightyDyke said on 2 Apr 2011 at 7:08 am:

I think that this is DISGUSTING. As a parent, you should be ashamed of yourself! If you wont teach your children tolerance, then who will? oh wait…the GSA teaches tolerance…but that’s part of what you believe to be “homosexual agenda.” As someone who grew up in a religious household, was outed in HS, bullied for the next 3 years, and then attacked for being what I was, I know how vital it is to teach tolerance. Big props to David for standing up for what he believes in and for helping those that don’t know where else to go. Bullying is horrible and no one should take their life because of someone’s ignorance and insecurity.

36. zealot said on 2 Apr 2011 at 10:11 am:

Terry Jones… is that you?

37. Brody said on 2 Apr 2011 at 11:01 am:

…And the world goes on, doing things that some people won’t agree with. Here’s a real simple solution: If you don’t like the group, don’t go to the meetings. If you don’t like the posters, don’t look at them. Regardless of whether GSA meetings occur or the atheists gather down the hall, they can’t change your beliefs and values unless you let them. Accept that everyone is different and that people will do things you disagree with and stop wasting your time fighting everything and being filled with such hatred and disgust. While you’re writing your e-mails, making your phone calls, attending meetings to bring down these groups, your children are sitting at home without you, missing out on time with their parents. Most of you will argue that if you don’t fight these groups, you’re not helping to create a safe environment for your children. Does it honestly harm anyone that some people you disagree with meet once a week? Do you physically get hurt? Cuts, bruises, beaten? Before you saw those posters, those meetings were going on… did your child come home crying because they were emotionally scarred? Did it hurt you emotionally that entire time before you actually knew there was a GSA? Hell no. And it won’t hurt you now. You have one life, one chance with your kids. Tomorrow is NOT promised. I almost lost my mother 4 years ago because someone wasn’t paying attention and rear ended her, paralyzing her. Stop complaining and live your life, spend this time with your children. Let go of your anger and hate and just love, love your kids, love your friends and family.

38. Doug Brown said on 3 Apr 2011 at 12:54 am:

Simpliest solution: Bullies get suspended and expelled from school. Teachers man / woman up and quit taking cr%p from kids; school admin and parents back them up. Teachers also check their politcal affiliation and biases at the door and do the job you are being paid to do.

I also think David should be commended for standing up for his schoolmates, but should that really be his calling in school?

39. Freedom said on 3 Apr 2011 at 1:20 pm:

Brody, back to what goes on in our schools for our kids…would you feel that same way — “If you don’t like the group, don’t go to the meetings. If you don’t like the posters, don’t look at them” — concerning ANY and all clubs that might come along or just those that you support/kinda support?

40. mitch said on 3 Apr 2011 at 10:20 pm:

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest… a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.

41. Greg L said on 3 Apr 2011 at 11:00 pm:

Mitch, that is the most beautifully written bunch of nonsense I have read in a long time. You should write speeches for Obama.

42. mitch said on 4 Apr 2011 at 7:11 am:

Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.

43. Doug Brown said on 4 Apr 2011 at 8:33 am:

Spinozian Spittle

44. White Cotton Jet Li said on 4 Apr 2011 at 5:43 pm:

@Trawll:

The original translation of the Hebrew word in I Corinthians 6:9, “toevah,” translates directly to “abomination.” You’re correct. But no portion of the proper uninterpreted text utilizes the term “homosexual.” Be cautious with your quoting lest you expose that you know less than you say.

@Doug Brown:
    If you’re ready to empower teachers to “stop taking crap from kids,” please propose the regulatory or legislative items to your elected officials that would protect those teachers from parents who retaliate. I think you’d find thankful teachers wanting to name a school after you.

@GregL(etiecq):
    A student KKK group is impermissible under the Equal Access Act because it contradicts the mission of the public school, under law. The KKK patently avows discrimination against people of color and advocates violence. (Historical acts constitute precedent regardless of published literature.) Consequently, the ban would be on the basis of violence and a lack of student safety, not on ideology. A “Confederate History” group, however, as you posited, would be perfectly permissible under the same law. Indeed, there are cases in which schools have overreached with the CSA’s Stars and Bars and have paid the price dearly, as they should have. There’s a fundamental contextual difference between flying Dixie and a shirt with the Confederate flag on it that says “White Power.” The two are not the same, and the courts acknowledge that. Supporting Jefferson Davis’s opposition to Lincoln’s policies is different than vocally suggesting assassinating Lincoln was a triumph. Context matters.

To the legal point, for those of you who believe in “limited government consistent with the Constitution,” the “you must accept all if you accept one” line is an oversimplification of the law, but it is nevertheless Constitutional law. (More accurately, legislation codifying and directly supported by the Constitution.) It is more accurately phrased “provided the activity does not countermand the mission of the school, you must accept all if you accept one.” You don’t have to like the law, and you can decry the public school instructing students in any capacity it can to stop harming other students physically and psychologically (baffling as it may be to some), but it doesn’t change the fact that a public school is bound to a higher calling - Supreme Court interpretation of Constitutional law - than any vocal minority of parents.

@Freedom:
    That’s the most salient question in this entire conversation. “How do you feel about that?” It doesn’t matter how any of us feel about it. It doesn’t matter that Greg thinks the GSA is an atrocity. It doesn’t matter that some people don’t like the fact that kids meet to pray regularly. Your feelings, my feelings, the public’s feelings, the popular opinion… none of that matters. What matters is that the Constitution affords equal protections, rights, privileges, and responsibilities to every single aspect of a public school, provided those aspects do not endanger students physically, discriminate against them on the basis of traits of person, or infringe upon the ability of students to learn and school officials to manage and instruct.

That’s it. Everything else is crap.

Decry the GSA. Decry the FCA. None of it matters. The law protects the one from the many; the United States was not founded on “majority rules” and does not allow the vocal to shout down the small when it comes to application of the Constitution. Passion is irrelevant; the Constitution is greater than you, me, and everybody else. And that Constitution, that our men and women in uniform protect, that we have fought for internally and externally, and that both the Left and the Right hold up time and time again is exactly the bulwark that protects your rights and my rights and their rights with the same, impartial, unflinching consistency. You should regard the fact that the GSA exists and is protected from those that dislike it as proof positive that at least at Battlefield High School, the Constitution of this nation is working EXACTLY as intended.

45. Doug Brown said on 5 Apr 2011 at 6:26 am:

Constitution = God

Thus sayeth… White Cotton Jet Li?

The Moses of BVBL.

Maybe if we start the school day with the Principal walking thru the halls holding up high the Constitution much like a priest/lay person holds up the Gospel before the Mass.

The Constitution of this nation is defintely NOT working exactly as intended. In a land where 50 million + did not make it to their first birthday the LAW does NOT protect the one from the many, nor from a deluded voice on an obscure blog.

Teachers are already empowered to stop taking crap from kids it’s called Free Will.

46. Jay said on 5 Apr 2011 at 7:11 am:

Good for you David. It is a shame people are so ignorant as to be angry about such a club. I believe it’s just a generational thing. I think it’s funny how some on here do not believe they have gay people in their family. Believe me, you do. I was very “anti-gay” when I was growing up in my “Christian” house-hold. It’s ironic how the “love your neighbor Christians” are so openly hostile and mean to gay people. Now that I am in my mid 30’s and have actually met gay people (again irony prevails here, I met them when I was active duty USAF!!!). Gay people aren’t out to “make your kids gay”. You are gay from birth, period. You don’t “become” gay, that is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. Like I said before, the hate speech is simply generational. I love my parents and my uncles/aunts, but they are the same way. Ultra “Christian” and ultra ignorant.

Way to be brave Dave!!!

47. Doug Brown said on 5 Apr 2011 at 8:32 am:

Jay you ain’t gay from birth. It’s a chosen path. The gay community’s objective has been and is to win the language wars , the ‘terms of endearment,’ and apparently they have captured your heart and planted their rainbow flag firmly in your POSTerior.

48. White Cotton Jet Li said on 5 Apr 2011 at 12:58 pm:

@DougBrown

I’m a pretty big fan of the idea of making the Constitution more central to our educational processes and policies. I’d stand and salute that. But teachers are not empowered with free will compared to the average citizen. (Try being a substitute for a day and let me know how it goes when you so much as brush up against a kid who is spouting profanities in your face and you end up sued. Lemme know how that works out for ya.) You’ve again underscored how little law most people understand where schools are concerned.

To your point about “first birthday,” which I can only assume is an abortion-related comment, again the Constitution makes my point, not yours. You have a right not to like abortion. You have a right not to get one. You don’t have a right to tell me that I can’t have one. The Constitution protects my right from your will. It’s not a mob trying to gang up on a fetus; it’s a mob ganging up on the mother.

But to be fair, I didn’t say the Constitution was working as intended writ large; I said it’s working at Battlefield, contextual to this issue. We also digress from the point at hand. Are all American citizens equal under law? Yes, or no? If you believe that one citizen is equal to another under law, then what rational basis do you have for discriminating against another law-abiding citizen on the basis of a trait of character? We used to do it to people of color. Now it’s illegal, as the Constitution demands. We used to do it to women. Now it’s illegal, as the Constitution demands. Upon what basis do you predicate your belief that one citizen’s rights may be usurped by another?

You’re right, Doug, that the Constitution doesn’t protect people from a deluded voice on an obscure blog. Thank goodness that the document that protects the GSA @ BHS also protects the authors of blogs exactly… like… this. Westboro Baptist has a Constitutionally-protected right to do pretty much everything that it does, and it’s protected from those on the Left and the Right that want Phelps to stop. Greg Letiecq can do just about anything he wants with Help Save Manassas so long as he does so within the “time, place, and manner” restrictions we all have to operate within when expressing our First Amendment rights. I may not like a message, but I don’t have a right to suppress it on a whim. Because a public school is taxpayer-funded, it is rigorously beholden to the same principles.

Someone said earlier they were bothered by the school “advertising” the GSA. It didn’t. Those posters are generated by the student group, and because PWCS is a limited open forum under the EAA, it can’t selectively take them down. That’s the way it has to be. If you want the hallways of BHS (or any other public school) clear of any group’s invitation or message, you have to pursue closing the forum through PWCS central office. The school’s administration has NO say, and if it tried to act outside of its scope of policy and practice, it’d be in a deeper pile than in a flokati rug.

As Greg pointed out in his original post, if you want to keep kids away from messages with which you disagree, the only realistic option that you have is to remove your children from the public schools. You have that right, and the public schools would be all the more grateful for you doing so. We’ve beaten the issue of equal access to death, the Constitution wins every time, so let’s stop distracting the schools and get them back to the work of teaching children. If the vocal minority of angry community members spent half as much time on supporting good practices and programs as they did trying to bend a national public trust to their local individual wills, we’d lead the world in science and math again in no time.

But I’m afraid our time has come to a close. Moses has to part other waters, and once we start making butt jokes, it’s time to make this my last visit. I don’t kata wits with people who turn to crass humor instead of articulating points of logic.

49. Doug Brown said on 5 Apr 2011 at 3:08 pm:

“But teachers are not empowered with free will compared to the average citizen.”

So much for the value of that little piece of paper you worship and your prattling on. Great legal minds like you have taken a great achievement in the course of human events i.e., the founding documents of this country and made a mockery of them. By all means run away and proudly proclaim the right of free speech as you cower in anonymity. What a ridiculous figure, what a ridiculous pseudonym.

50. Doug Brown said on 5 Apr 2011 at 4:54 pm:

What’s missing in today’s schools? Someone mentioned “Attitude”?

The few, the proud, the teacher

A sergeant having served his time with the Marine Corps took a new job as a school
    teacher. Just before the school year started he injured his back. He was
    required to wear a plaster cast around the upper part of his body. Fortunately,
    the cast fit under his shirt and wasn’t noticeable.

On the first day of class, he found himself assigned to the toughest students in the
    school. The smart aleck punks, having already heard the new teacher was a
    Marine, were leery of him and decided to see how tough he really was before
    trying any pranks.

Walking confidently into the rowdy classroom, the new teacher opened the window wide and sat down at his desk. When a strong breeze made his tie flap, he took a stapler and promptly stapled the tie to his chest, twice.

He had no trouble with discipline that year.

SEMPER FI!

51. Jay said on 6 Apr 2011 at 6:21 am:

Gay isn’t a choice.

Only retards believe that. Don’t say that in front of people with a serious level of education. You’ll simply get lauged at.

Love the capitalization (POST) showing your humor. You must have stayed up all night thinking of that one.

The club (although possessing annoying posters) has every right to exist. Your misconceptions and bad jokes aside, you have the choice to home school your child if you can do such a better job. That is part of the genius of our system.

C’mon, killer - lighten up. . .

52. Doug Brown said on 6 Apr 2011 at 8:51 am:

“Only retards believe that? ” Really, Jay? You consider yourself someone with a serious level of education on this matter? Then why do you give the impression of being developmentally delayed as to understanding the philosophical and intellectual issues that have swirled around homosexuality for millenia?

Let’s simply, for your benefit, explore some fundamental issues which Homosexuality raises:

Doesn’t being a homosexual require someone to act outside oneself?

The act itself requires at least two people, doesn’t it?

Can one be a homosexual without ever engaging in the act?

Do you BELIEVE in genetic determinism?

Does Free Will exist?

Is a desire, an inclination, enough to define who one is?

Does wishing someone dead make someone a murderer?

These are just some of the issues which have surfaced over the centuries concerning Homosexuality, if you think these have been decided by what is now a popular culture which has embraced one side of the debate then you are seriously retarded in your understanding of the issue, with no offense, in contrast to your quick and thoughtful retort, to those who are born in a state of mental retardation.

Overnight pondering a response to your POST? Once again, your powers of observation dazzle for all to see, check the date and time of my response Jay. It would be nice to encounter some thoughtful, nuanced thinking on this issue, as well as on how we are failing to educate our youth today, but public discourse on such topics often degenerate to the least informed on a topic making the most noise.

That’s your cue Jay….

53. Jay said on 6 Apr 2011 at 1:17 pm:

Only retards think being gay is a choice. Keep fightin’ science and human behavior if it makes you more comforable, kids. . .

54. Jay said on 6 Apr 2011 at 1:18 pm:

. . .do you believe that using the caps-lock makes you seem smarter when going against the majority of presently-held scientific opinion on human behavior?

55. Jay said on 6 Apr 2011 at 1:20 pm:

Ahs no dat bee-un kweer ees ah chois! Ahs no it! Kleerly dem siuntists dont understand human determuneesm! Ahs no it!

56. Jay said on 6 Apr 2011 at 1:26 pm:

Upon further review. . .only retards think being gay is a choice. . .

57. Doug Brown said on 6 Apr 2011 at 2:21 pm:

Dazzling Jay.

58. Jay said on 7 Apr 2011 at 11:45 am:

Me being dazzling, dumb, coherent, or foolish is irrelevant -

. . .only the retarded think being gay is a choice. Oppositional opinions elicit laughter from the educated.

59. Doug Brown said on 7 Apr 2011 at 4:16 pm:

“Me being dazzling, dumb, coherent, or foolish is irrelevant. ”

No Jay, a rational person, would consider your mental state and capabilities very relevant. After all, who knows what the ‘educated’ was laughing at when you spoke with them?

“Oppositional opinions,” Jay? Do you even have a clue Jay what you just wrote above?
    Tell us more about educated people, you continue to dazzle the board with your wit and ability to win the day with “retard, retard.”

60. Tom said on 9 Apr 2011 at 9:49 am:

So a gay-straight alliance club offends your sensibilities?

What wing nuts.

Your focus ought to be on the hetros who are on the prowl in this area such as the track teacher charged with having sex with a female student or the English teacher charged with having sex with a male student, both in PWC schools.

And let’s not leave the military out. A solider from Dale City is charged with 10 counts of child pornography.

Get your priorities right.

61. Doug Brown said on 9 Apr 2011 at 3:48 pm:

Tom said:

“The real persons practicing deviant behavior are the hetros. They are the ones from whom we need protection.”

Another balanced comment on this thread.

I think it is unfortunate that kids, and they are still kids, have to be dragged into this nonsense. David and any kids who joined this club to prevent bullying of their school mates are kids who show real character, however, for a parent who has to decide where to send their kids it just another reason not to trust the public school system with the education of their kids.

62. Freedom said on 10 Apr 2011 at 8:05 am:

If the gays want to have sex and live with each other, that’s fine with me…I have absolutely no problem with that if that’s what they want. However, their intent to recruit and the school’s assistance in that recruiting process is the only issue at hand here. You do your own thing and I’ll do MY own thing, ok? Why must we publicly pronounce our preferences? I see no need for that at all.

…and Doug, you hit the key point with “…for a parent who has to decide where to send their kids it just another reason not to trust the public school system with the education of their kids.” Unfortunately, parents support the public schools with their tax dollars and despite their “lack of trust in the public school syste,” simply can’t afford the additional cost of private school tuition.

If a tax credit were available to parents wishing to send their children to a private school, thus creating competition with public schools, this sexual advertising would no longer be an issue; in fact, it would come to an immediate, screeching halt.

I fully support tolerance and your freedom of choice, but tolerance for your beliefs and your sexual preference does not include having them bantered in front of my children at a publicly funded institution. So, please, do as you wish, your being gay is of neither interest nor concern to me.

63. Doug Brown said on 10 Apr 2011 at 9:16 am:

Freedom,

Dead on. The public school system is destroying family pocket books / families. First they take a tremendous amount of local budgets, then they tell parents if they don’t like the fact that we have all these diversions in the school environment take your kids to a private school or home school, both of which are extrememly taxing on a family’s budget and time. Finding the perfect private school is no easy task and for many people in this community has turned into a nightmare. Of course, it really gets fun when the slime bags, some of whom have popped their degenerate heads up on this thread call the parents racists, homophobes, etc., Funny how wanting your kids to be able to read, write, and think can get parents into so much trouble these days. But come to think of it, maybe that is the point in all this nonsense, educated kids are a danger to some people?

Hey Jay, you know all those educated people in Manassas are they worried that they may be a dying breed?

64. Nicole said on 22 May 2011 at 10:43 am:

This is awful. I can’t believe you people believe that having a club that helps students deal with the harassment that other students dish out is inappropriate. And you want to bring religion and god into this? Guess what, God made us who we are right? That means he made some people straight, bi, gay, etc. We are born however God wanted us to be. This blog Is what is innapropriate. I can’t wait till one of your kids come home from school crying or even physically injured because of their sexual orientation. I dare you to show them your comment on this blog. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

65. Silent N said on 22 May 2011 at 6:55 pm:

I must know, why do some people choose to be gay? Did Satan just happen to wander by their bedside one night and whisper a few unholy things into their ears? Is God just tempting our purity by making us all want to be gay just so we can say no and fly on off to heaven? Because if there wasn’t temptation, why would they choose? What is this temptation? Do enlighten me.

66. Jay said on 16 Jan 2012 at 8:16 am:

These posts of people who think that being gay is a ‘choice’ has been absolutely hilarious for us in the office.

Please, please, please write more about this. It’s just too funny. Really.

67. Greg L said on 16 Jan 2012 at 4:51 pm:

So I gather that is the official opinion of the Internal Revenue Service facility in Charlestown, WV? Nice to know.

68. Mary Ann Kreitzer said on 18 Apr 2012 at 3:45 pm:

The Gay Straight Alliance uses anti-bullying as a tactic. If you want a club where anybody can meet and just have fun, why not have one called RESPECT!

GSA is all about promoting the gay agenda. Go to their website where they have photos like “I (heart) queers” and “young, queer, and proud.” Is this how you limit name-calling and bullying? They also have all kinds of articles about advancing gay marriage and other political objectives. One article blames conservatives for gay youth suicides. Talk about tolerance!

GSA is all about using youth to lobby to change the culture to accept gay BEHAVIOR as normal under the label of tolerance. Anyone who disagrees with them is homophobic and intolerant. The tactic is called “jamming” and was described in After the Ball written by two gay activists.

I seriously doubt that young people attending GSA meetings learn that the Center for Disease Control is reporting that over 50% of new AIDS cases are men having sex with men and 21% of new cases are in youth age 13-29.