Just Call Me Macacca, Already

By Greg L | 3 June 2011 | Virginia Politics, US Senate | 9 Comments

The race for U. S. Senate in Virginia has hardly begun, and for the second time I’m getting called names by George Allen supporters.  First, one supporter says that anyone who doesn’t toe the George Allen line is a troll.  Now they’re calling me a bigot on the same day Allen bent over backwards on an apology tour about the 2006 “macacca” incident.  Seriously, has anyone bothered to think for one moment that maybe the problem here is an institutional penchant for badly considered name calling?

Today’s incident started when I asked Ben Marchi a question on twitter, after he posted a nice little cheerleading post about how Christian conservatives were warmly receptive to Allen’s remarks at today’s Faith and Family Conference in DC. Given the story about how Allen’s Aldersgate United Methodist Church is providing space in their facilities to a mosque (story here), it would seem unusual to me that Christian conservatives are giving Allen a “warm reception.”  Maybe they just don’t know about this, which is quite possible since only a couple of blogs have been talking about it.

Marchi, who I have always considered a friend and has been an all-around great guy, left as Virginia director of Americans for Prosperity this year in order to work for the George Allen campaign.  After the Aldersgate story broke, I tried to contact the Allen campaign, sending emails to everyone who had littered my email inbox with such things as Susan Allen’s public schedule or George Allen’s response to whatever happened in Congress, or some reminder that ten years ago George Allen did something laudable.  Silence.  One person I hadn’t checked with was Ben Marchi, and there was a reminder on twitter that I could reach out to him.

So here’s the response I get: “@gletiecq why do u hate non christians? There’s no room in the @VA_GOP 4 bigots. Hats off to@georgeallenva 4 making right decision.”

Huh?

Now I haven’t had a solid opinion on the Senate race, and having this unfold so early when this November we’ve got a lot of important races that are going on right now has been annoying.  I don’t want to think about a Senate race that isn’t happening until November 2012, but I keep getting dragged back to it.  My expectation was that I’d pretty much ignore the darned thing until after this November and then it would be worth talking about.  The best laid plans…

Anyways, I figure that if the Allen team calls me bad names one more time I’ll just conclude that there’s some sort of frat boy meme running through the campaign. If that meme predisposes Allen’s staff to act like a bunch of eight year olds who want to alienate any voters who don’t gleefully swallow the campaign’s narrative without question, they’ll end up pissing everyone else off as well, and I won’t even have to burn down their campaign.  They’ll do it all on their own.

Seriously, I’ve never had a Republican campaign call me, or any other voters names.  Ever.

1. skepp said on 3 Jun 2011 at 5:43 pm:

I happened to surf into the event you mention and heard Allen.
    All I can say is that you, and surely not I, want him representing us in the senate!

Couldn’t help but bring up the word “football” in his speech. He’d be nothing if it weren’t for his Redskin father.

2. Willie Deutsch said on 3 Jun 2011 at 7:42 pm:

Will they let you film at their events now is the question/ ;)

3. Errant Cavalier said on 4 Jun 2011 at 8:05 am:

I had been leaning in favor of Allen but don’t know now. I never thought Corey had much of a chance in this race but he’s playing his campaign much smarter in this incident. Namely, letting Allen hang himself and holding his own tongue.

There’s a big difference between religious tolerance and allowing everyone to practice their own religion as they chose; a right guaranteed by the Constitution, on the one hand, and offering a Christian church to be used to preach a message that is directly contrary to the most fundamental tenants of Christianity, on the other.

It’s true, as the Muslims argue, that Jesus is mentioned many times in the Koran. However, Islam denies the divinity of Christ and regards Him as nothing more than another prophet inferior to Mohammad. A true Christian can take the position that we need harmony in the community and must respect the rights of everyone to believe as they chose, but no one can claim that Christianity and Islam are compatible belief systems.

I don’t think what Aldersgate is doing is in any way promoting terrorism. That’s a specious argument. The Muslim worshippers in this case are probably many of the same people we work with every day and are no more likely to strap on a bomb and run into a crowded Metro station and blow themselves up than are you and I.

However, we’re not talking about a publicly-funded community center, which the Muslims would have just as much right to use as anyone else. Aldersgate proclaims itself a house of Christian worship, and is funded from private sources. Many Methodist and other churches offer their facilities to outside groups, even in some cases to distribute food and clothing to impoverished illegal alien families. Some Methodist Churches have partnered with Korean Christians. These acts are all consistent with the teachings of Jesus Christ.

A line must be drawn, however, at allowing churches to be used to preach a message contrary to the most basic principles of Christianity – the divinity and saving power of Christ. Aldersgate must honor their commitment to Christ, which is more important than their fear of not being considered politically correct. George Allen must find the courage to do the same.

4. Steve Thomas said on 4 Jun 2011 at 2:35 pm:

Some folks might want to spend a few minutes reading and considering the remarks of these clearly conservative leaders in the GOP:

5. Jon wong said on 5 Jun 2011 at 10:05 am:

Hey…no pick on Susan!!!! She to cute!

6. jon wong said on 5 Jun 2011 at 10:08 am:

Susan no cacca mama!

7. anon said on 5 Jun 2011 at 1:47 pm:

The Republican Liberty Caucus just had Tim Donner speak to them on Saturday. He does have a very interesting background with deep family ties to the conservative movement.

His father, Joe Donner, was involved in the founding of National Review magazine and was a strong supporter of conservative causes long before it became fashionable.

Tim founded Horizons Television Inc. in 1987 and began to create educational, promotional and documentary productions for free market groups such as the Bill of Rights Institute, Media Research Center, Pacific Research Institute, and Atlas Economic Research Foundation. In addition, Horizons worked with many nationally recognized institutions such as the Library of Congress, Smithsonian Institution and the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

8. Lovettsville Lady said on 6 Jun 2011 at 11:31 pm:

When Allen talks about football he talks about the Cavs and his time playing quarterback at UVA! He was never on the Redskins and rarely mentions them, other than being a supporter.

It’s a BIG tent folks.

9. Anonymous said on 8 Jun 2011 at 6:09 pm:

This fellow here over here with the yellow shirt, Macaca, or whatever his name is. He’s with my opponent… Let’s give a welcome to Macaca, here. Welcome to America and the real world of Virginia.
    —George Allen

The man was an united states citizen. Allens mom was of french tunisian origin. It means monkey. The tone in his voice ment for it to be derogatory.

I am quit shure that alla is more in line with what thomas jefferson thought of god in america than blind faith in the trinity.

BTW, catholics and protestants blowed each other for years in northern ireland?

What represents us more up in NOVA, the coalfields pkway and tax money subsidizeing hollywood or OUR money raised here being spent here on our roads!!!!!

The feds is what drives the full coffers of virginia, not wine, hollywood and horses. Those are lifestyles. Let the free market dictate the cost of such.