video production in Manassas and Prince William County

PWC Board Elections Update

By Greg L | 11 June 2011 | PWCDC, PWCRC, Prince William County | 20 Comments

Campaigns in Prince William County are getting in gear as filing deadlines rapidly approach.  Looking at the progress candidates have made (or not) gives us a good idea of just who is serious about winning, and who is not.  Here’s the breakdown:

BOCS Chairman: Democrat Babur Lateef made a lot of noise when he first announced but seems to have gone on vacation since then.  Republican Bob Weir hasn’t been circulating petitions as far as I can tell and probably will not file to challenge Corey Stewart for the Republican nomination.  Independent John Gray only gets press coverage when reporters need to ask someone questions about other candidates.  Looks like a pretty easy win for Corey Stewart.

Gainesville District: Of the five Republican candidates who have announced, only Pete Candland, Martha Hendley and Steve Botello seem to be doing anything.  Candland is up on the web and facebook, the only one so far to get both done.   Hendley is reportedly close to having her website done, and Botello seems to spend as much time updating facebook as he spends knocking doors.  When the filing deadline expires these three will likely be the only ones vying for the nomination.  Michael Hugh and Suzanne Miller (not Delegate Jackson Miller’s wife) have been invisible the past few weeks.  Dems are still trying to figure out Ann Wheeler who has been a big John Stirrup supporter in the past and surprised many by running in this race as a Democrat.  Roemmelt and the PWCDC will be happy to have anyone with a pulse on the ballot this year though as their candidate recruitment has been abysmal this cycle.  (UPDATE: Martha Hendley has her website up as well today.)

Brentsville District: Jeanine Lawson is campaigning hard to unseat Wally Covington in Brentsville and seems to have a decent shot at doing so.  She’s got an uphill battle to compete financially, but probably is already winning in the ground game.  This race looks like the strongest effort to unseat an incumbent this year — so far.  No word on Democrat opposition, but it’s very unlikely in this district.

Coles District: Bob Pugh made a strong speech at the Republican Committee meeting when he announced, has been knocking doors and has his website up.  It must have shook up Marty Nohe a bit since he suddenly started working on his facebook presence.  Here’s another currently underfunded challenger who has to work hard to win, but there are a lot of rocks available to throw at Marty Nohe’s voting record and his history of quietly supporting the illegal alien lobby.  No word on Democrat challengers, but there is a rumor going around about an independent filing in this race, and independents don’t have to formally file yet.

Potomac (formerly Dumfries) District: Maureen Caddigan seems to have a free ride this election cycle.

Neabsco District: No one other than a complete nutcase like Aracelly Panameno is going to challenge John Jenkins.  It’s a waste of time and effort.

Woodbridge District: While the business community has grown to loathe Frank Principi, I’ve seen no indication anyone is working on getting petition signatures to challenge him.  There are potential candidates in this district — some pretty good ones in fact — but so far they’re either stealthy as all getout or passing up this great opportunity to get rid of this chump.

The Republican filing deadline in Prince William County is Wednesday.

1. anon said on 11 Jun 2011 at 11:04 am:

Anthony Arnold, Principi appointee on the Park Authority, is running in the Coles District. He’s out collecting signatures to get on the ballot.

2. Greg L said on 11 Jun 2011 at 11:39 am:

Fascinating. A potential three-way race in Coles in the general would favor the Republican pretty strongly. I have to wonder if this was an effort by Principi to help out his buddy Marty. They tend to vote the same way on the board.

3. Yin Yang said on 11 Jun 2011 at 11:40 am:

Good update…thanks. Keep ‘em coming.

4. Patty said on 11 Jun 2011 at 1:04 pm:

Greg,

Everyone of your FB friends know you are supporting Candland. He was to come out this way and talk to the consituents. He never did. He is a big NO SHOW. Seems he only cares about Haymarket and Gainesville. Sudley and West Gate do not register on his map.

At least Martha Hendley comes out here. At least she voted against that elementary school and that hideous cell tower.

I’ve got news for you. Suzanne Miller came out here to talk to us. So, she is NOT playing invisible like Candland.

Candland may be up on the Web and FB but he is down and out as far as we are concerned.

5. Greg L said on 11 Jun 2011 at 1:35 pm:

I’ll make sure to inform all candidates for office that they are expected to show up on your doorstep as the first effort in their campaigns next time. I hadn’t realized it was such a hard and fast requirement.

6. Harry said on 11 Jun 2011 at 3:39 pm:

Thanks for the update, Greg!

www.hendleyforsupervisor.com is up and running. I understand that more content, updates and info on specific issues will be up shortly. I understand that FB is coming online in the next couple days…

7. Patty said on 11 Jun 2011 at 4:52 pm:

Greg,

When Candland’s campaign manager called me making arrangments for Candland to come out here to talk to the neighbors and Candland is a NO SHOW that doesn’t say much for his sincerity.

Some of the neighbors have seen his quotes in the paper. Sounds like he only cares about Haymarket and Gainesville.

Since he was a NO SHOW here, I think my neighbors are correct in their assessment.

We are NOT going to elect another person who only cares about his own back yard.

I know you support him but I have to tell it like it is.

Even Miller came out here to talk to us. That says a whole lot more for her than Candland.

Of course if you care about Haymarket and Gainesville more their your neighbors in Sudley in West gate, you can always move out there.

8. Patty said on 11 Jun 2011 at 4:54 pm:

Sorry,

Last sentence should say:

Of course, if you care about Haymarket and Gainesville more than your neighbors in Sudley and West gate, you can always move out there.

9. Anonymous said on 11 Jun 2011 at 4:57 pm:

Geez, what a vindictive nut. You sure attract the best and brightest to this blog!

10. Titus 2:7-8 said on 11 Jun 2011 at 7:16 pm:

I’d rather show some of the grace I’ve been given while being honest about what I’ve seen and how I feel. It helps me be more at peace at night.

11. Classic Rock said on 12 Jun 2011 at 11:38 am:

Greg: Enjoy your blog. Thanks for the update. However, in my opinion, I think it is unfair to characterize Maureen Caddigan as getting a “free ride” because nobody is running against her. She has no challengers because there is no Republican or Democrat out there in the Potomac District who thinks they have a chance to beat her. That’s a testament to all the outstanding support and leadership she has given to her District and the County for all these many years.

12. Allison said on 12 Jun 2011 at 1:30 pm:

I look forward to Bob Pugh and Jeanine Lawson unseating the incumbents. The Gainesville District has many candidates from which to choose. I fully support Martha - she has served us well on the Planning Commission and she will be an excellent supervisor if/when she wins the primary.

13. Bob Pugh said on 12 Jun 2011 at 5:51 pm:

Greg: Thanks for linking my website! I hope people will check back frequently as I update with new information. I collected well over the required number of petition signatures, filed and paid my fee last week. My candidacy is official.

We have already won one round against developer roads. The Purcel Road widening design, which would have allowed buying of rights of way and construction to begin was on the Board’s Consent agenda last Tuesday. I contacted some of the residents and they knew nothing about it. No one had been notified. After some emails from irrated constituents, Marty pulled it from the agenda! He said he wanted to get more input from the residents. They had a public meeting last March and the citizens came out overwhelmingly against this project, and said what they wanted done if it did go forward. Marty and County staff just ignored them. There is no need for another meeting; just go ahead and kill this developer road project if you want to serve the interests of Coles District and Prince William County citizens and taxpayers. Make improvements to the two-lane road so it will be safer for residents, but don’t open up this semi-rural area to lots of new tax-revenue negative residential developments and more congestion with an incredibly expensive, four-lane divided major road connecting Hoadly Road and the Rt. 234 Bypass when the Bypass itself and the Prince William Parkway are already meeting that need. Watch the results in Citizens Time from the 2:00 board meeting last Tuesday (streaming video on the County’s website).

This is just the tip of the iceberg in ways we can save taxpayers’ money.

I won’t be getting the big developer money that Marty does and need everyone’s support so I can win this election, and continue building victories for Prince William County taxpayers! Please see the contact information on my web site.

14. Anonymous said on 12 Jun 2011 at 8:21 pm:

Go Martha! We need you on the BOCS!

15. Franco said on 12 Jun 2011 at 10:34 pm:

Caddigan is a whack-job who could be beat if anyone felt it worthwhile to deal with her. Other than her few dozen friends, she doesn’t have any strong supporters.

16. Anonymous said on 12 Jun 2011 at 10:38 pm:

Royse is running for Woodbridge Supervisor!!!

Buh-bye, Frankie!!!

17. Classic Rock said on 13 Jun 2011 at 7:07 am:

Dear Franco:
    Gee, I don’t know, to me, a “wack-Job” is one who, like you, uses childish name calling and other absurd untrue statements to personally attack someone they just don’t like. Any by the way, Maureen won the 2007 General Election with over 6,000 votes, slightly more than the few dozen friends you think she has.
    Have a good day.

18. Franco said on 13 Jun 2011 at 3:16 pm:

Caddigan was unopposed in 2007 in the General Election. She only had a primary opponent.

And as I recall, Greg got nearly 1,000 people to vote for a Ham Sandwich against Paul Ebert, so 6,000 votes against no one doesn’t mean anything.

As far as your definition of a “wack-Job” — one who uses childish name calling and other absurd untrue statements to personally attack someone they just don’t like.

That fits Caddigan perfectly! Thank you for clearly defining the term and her various neurosis.

19. Franco said on 13 Jun 2011 at 3:39 pm:

Just confirmed it. She got 6,603 against “Write In” who got 153. If she is unopposed again, I’ll bet you dollars to donuts that “Write In” gets a lot more this time.

20. Wineplz said on 14 Jun 2011 at 2:01 pm:

Good job on the video for Jeanine Lawson. Hoping she updates the events calendar on her site soon so that I can plan to come out to a few. What she says on her site speaks right to me as I also live in the Linton Hall corridor. Granted, we will get a lot of relief in the schools in the fall once T.Wood Clay ES, Piney Branch ES, and Patriot HS open, but even by the projections of the school board themselves, the relief will be short-lived unless we curb the residential growth. We’ve still got several empty houses in my neighborhood in Saybrooke, and I see so many more newly built homes that are completely empty along Devlin and the south end of Linton Hall Rd…not to mention all the empty commercial space. Hopefully she can make a bigger difference for our area.