Jo-Ann Chase Tries To Frighten Me

By Greg L | 1 July 2011 | Jo-Ann Chase, Loudoun County, Virginia House, Prince William County | 15 Comments

Oh, goodness! Jo-Ann Chase is taking pictures of me!

So here’s a candidate for House of Delegates and one of her campaign volunteers at the South Riding Independence Day celebration this evening, taking pictures of me.  Is it just me, or does the behavior here seem just a little unusual for someone who claims to posses the demeanor generally expected of candidates for the Virginia House of Delegates, the oldest continuously operating legislative body in the Western hemisphere?

I had finished up doing some video and photography work for David Ramadan at this pretty cool neighborhood event, and we were talking in front of the tent Republican candidates, including Jim Lemunyon and Matt Letourneau were using for the event.  Finally I notice Jo-Ann Chase, who had been surprisingly non-evident at this pretty well attended event walking by with a campaign worker.  After waving hello to them they pull out pocket cameras and start snapping away as if they were junior reporters who had uncovered the political story of the decade.  Then Jo-Ann starts yelling to me that I misspell her name on BVBL as they take photo after photo of me.  Of course I’ve got a camera in hand, so I shake off the bemusement at this little spectacle and grab a few memoirs of the bizarre way the evening ended.

I guess not much Jo-Ann Chase does these days really should surprise me.

Afterwards I got to wondering when the last time a candidate for office started publicly ranting at a blogger.  I’ve had Steve Shannon’s campaign staff, who didn’t seem to know who I was at the time, try to harass me before.  Fourteen thousand YouTube views later, the point got made that decision wasn’t a terribly wise one.  Even Jeanette Rishell managed to maintain some level of professional decorum around me when she was running for office and getting hounded by me.  But Jo-Ann Chase?  Not so much.

Here’s a hint for candidates out there: taking photos of me when I’m working doesn’t make me feel uncomfortable in the least.  Just try to take good ones, as if you manage to take a good pic, it might be useful for marketing purposes.  Better yet, you might want to send a campaign worker out to get those incriminating pictures of me earning a living, instead.  You doing it yourself like this just makes you look petty and awfully foolish.

1. Anonymous said on 1 Jul 2011 at 11:31 pm:

JAC is a complete nutcase. She told me to get away from her tonight as she was handing out lit like she thought I was some kind of threat to her. Nice of a candidate to treat voters like they’re the enemy before an election.

She’s turned on Mark Sell also, I heard. Sell got nominated for Vice-Chair of the 10th District and she was the only vote opposed - delivered with a loud yell, apparently. Completely inappropriate. The LCRC is the largest locality in the 10th, Sell is doing an outstanding job, it’s a natural he would get tapped for this. Only JAC would attack the chairman in the locality that comprises the largest portion of the 87th district.

JAC: “Who can I turn into an enemy today?”

2. Yin said on 2 Jul 2011 at 7:00 am:

Greg, I’m not sure what the news here is. You’re a well known public figure in Prince William County. Having your picture taken goes wih the territory. I’m surprised they didn’t ask tor your autograph.

3. Loudoun Insider said on 2 Jul 2011 at 8:04 am:

Ridiiculous!

4. Loudoun Lady said on 2 Jul 2011 at 8:52 am:

I believe that is Jo-Ann’s husband Clay with her in this picture. I guess they wanted to be double sure they got the incriminating photos of you STANDING. Imagine if you had been sitting, oh the horror.

5. es_la_ley said on 2 Jul 2011 at 4:07 pm:

They probably hoped you’d react in a negative fashion so they could get a pic of it, being that you’re an evil conservative and all. ;-)

[Ed note: but WHY would a candidate possibly CARE about what I do? I’m not running for office, and I don’t live in the 87th District. It just seems monumentally petty and bizarre.]

6. Curious One said on 2 Jul 2011 at 4:26 pm:

Are sure its Joanne Chase? Oh yeah, the sun visor where there’s no sun. Right.

7. jon wong said on 3 Jul 2011 at 7:12 am:

uh…oh…some people say no such thing as “good” press or “bad” press….just “press”……..now jw know who chase lady is.

8. Soon said on 3 Jul 2011 at 12:07 pm:

could we get an Open Thread soon?

9. the_rock said on 3 Jul 2011 at 1:58 pm:

I would give that chick the picture of a lifetime…Joanne, if you want some pix hit me up…we’ll make REALLY good pictures together. I heard liberal chix really let it all hang out!

10. Anthony Weiner said on 3 Jul 2011 at 5:50 pm:

Jo-Anne,
    I have got some great pictures to send you. Hit me up on twitter!

11. jon wong said on 4 Jul 2011 at 4:25 pm:

uh…oh…look like maybe joanne eat to many weiners

12. jon wong said on 4 Jul 2011 at 4:26 pm:

maybe she have MOOCHELL butt

13. Mr. Anon said on 6 Jul 2011 at 1:31 pm:

Pint-sized paparazzi.

14. Lovettsville Lady said on 8 Jul 2011 at 12:10 am:

This picture of JoAnn and her husband Clay is hilarious! I’m so glad you got this shot of them being their usually crazy selves! What an embarrassment she would be in Richmond! Thank goodness the voters in the 87th won’t have to worry about that. They have a great alternative to crazy Jo-Ann in David Ramadan who will make the proud.

15. . said on 11 Jul 2011 at 7:48 am:

The only thing missing here are the combat fatigues.