Primary Election Day

By Greg L | 23 August 2011 | Prince William County | 15 Comments

It’s primary day, and if you haven’t voted yet polls are open until 7PM.  Turnout is as light as I expected, and with plenty of inexperienced volunteers working for untested campaigns there are a couple of unusual happenings to note.

Apparently Martha Hendley thought it would be a good idea for Elena Schlossberg-Kunkel to volunteer for her at the Alvey precinct.  That’s potentially unhelpful.  I wonder how many people will recognize her from the immigration debate and draw what I think would be inaccurate conclusions about Martha’s commitment to controlling illegal immigration in the county.  Perhaps not many, but some will.

I’ve been at Sudley precinct this morning and had a volunteer for Dick Black show up for about three hours this morning.  Although Sudley is in the 13th House District, it’s not within the 13th Senate District that Dick Black is actually running in.  The volunteer isn’t there now and may show up later this afternoon, but the Dick Black signs in front of the precinct are prompting some questions from voters confused about how many candidates they’re supposed to be voting for.  It looks pretty silly.

The Hendley and Candland campaigns seem to be organized with workers at most, if not all of the precincts, but I haven’t seen presence from any other campaigns other than their yard signs littered in the median strips at the last minute.  Peter Candland has poll workers inside and outside of the precincts, which is unusual.  It should be interesting to see what kind of impact that might have in terms of turnout later in the day.

Feel free to post your election day observations in the comments.

UPDATE: I also saw a ton of Dick Black signs at Sinclair Precinct, which is outside of the 13th Senate District.  A campaign that doesn’t know where the boundaries are is going to have a tough time winning an election.

1. Loudoun Republican said on 23 Aug 2011 at 11:05 am:

Sudley is a split precinct. Half of it is in the 13th and half of it is not.

2. Greg L said on 23 Aug 2011 at 11:16 am:

Sure, correct me on what’s happening in my own precinct.

I think Black needs a bigger presence in Sudley than just one poll worker in the morning and four yard signs. He seems highly outclassed by some of the Supervisor campaigns. I’d suggest he get at least a squad from the Black Brigade deployed to this critical precinct in his campaign.

3. Loudoun Lady said on 23 Aug 2011 at 12:17 pm:

Split precincts always create confusion for the voters. I am hearing voting is very light all over.

4. Tom Cole said on 23 Aug 2011 at 12:41 pm:

From the Signal Hill Precinct, in what is now the Coles district, (split for State Senate), it has been as quiet as a graveyard so far today. When I voted this morning I never saw another voter, and my wife only spotted one this afternoon.

I really wish we’d fix the split precinct thing. Of course, having the goofy Barker-made districts is no thrill, either.

5. Elena said on 23 Aug 2011 at 12:48 pm:

Greg,

You are lying AGAIN. I VOTE at the Alvey precinct…DUH. I have not volunteered for anyone partcular campaign. You are pathetic Greg, pathetic. What kind of society are you promoting Greg?

6. Jose said on 23 Aug 2011 at 1:43 pm:

Hey Elana…………..Bite Me!

7. Really? said on 23 Aug 2011 at 1:48 pm:

Or… Is Elena lying (now that she realizes her negative impact on the Hendley campaign?). Backtracking is so undignified (but at least you know she reads tour blog).

8. Elena said on 23 Aug 2011 at 3:10 pm:

Get a life people :) I had my mom babysitting my kids so I could run out and vote with no whining kids. Now, I see whining from Greginstead.

Martha ,along with 10 other candidates, are proud of their committment to the Rural Crescent. They are not falling for Greg’s bullying tactics and neither am I.

Greg, would you like to verify with my mom or shall I get a “note from home” that I was only gone long enough to vote and grab a cup of coffee from Deja Brew !

9. Anonymous said on 23 Aug 2011 at 5:09 pm:

Gee, the liberal nutbags hate to get called out for wprking for republican campaigns.

10. Really? said on 23 Aug 2011 at 5:52 pm:

I’m afraid I wouldn’t trust any Republican who considered an endorsement from the County’s most celebrated left wing Liberal Democrat a plus. That’s not rocket science… or evidence of good judgment.

You don’t have to sign a pledge to do the right thing, you just need to do the right thing. There’s a difference. Having to sign a pledge is, in my humble opinion, a rather humiliating stunt engaged in by folks who perhaps may not always be counted on to know what the right thing to do is.

Let’s see who remembers this object lesson in November.

11. Not a Follower said on 23 Aug 2011 at 6:40 pm:

How can you have poll workers inside a precinct?

12. Nat said on 23 Aug 2011 at 8:49 pm:

Not a Follower, the inside workers are not for electioneering. That would be illegal inside the polling place. A campaign (or a party) can have workers inside to both observe and to check off voters on their own voter lists. This enables you to call those you have identified as supporters who haven’t voted and make sure you get them to the polls before they close. I’m surprised more campaigns don’t do this.

13. Anonymous said on 23 Aug 2011 at 11:19 pm:

My husband and I went to vote at Enterprise Elementary School today in Dale City and there was a sign on the door saying that there was no voting for us today.

We really feel left out.

14. Kemo Sabie said on 24 Aug 2011 at 1:24 pm:

Move to Republican disitrict, Mr./Ms. Anonymous.

Elena and Krazie Katie walk in same moonbeam.

15. George Sparks said on 29 Aug 2011 at 8:51 pm:

This misunderstanding is one of two things. Either it’s because there was a young lady named Elena that worked at Martha’s campaigning table earlier in the day, or because Elena was seen talking to the campaigners, including Martha’s people, on the way to the polls. The “a little bird told me” network is not a reliable source.