I Am Disgusted By George Allen Today

By Greg L | 26 August 2011 | Virginia Politics, US Senate | 19 Comments

Normally a US Senate race happening more than a year from now wouldn’t get a whole lot of attention from me.  We have more immediate concerns in Virginia, and it doesn’t please me a whole lot that with a battle that would decide the balance of power in the Senate of Virginia we’ve got Senate candidates siphoning off campaign funds for 2012 that we need right now.  The recent outrageous effort by George Allen’s folks to take down what has been a very minor challenge being posed by Jaime Radtke can’t be ignored, though.  This is utterly disgusting.

Late on Wednesday a story broke on RedState alleging that Jaime Radtke gave a rambling, drunken introduction to the director of the new film featuring Sarah Palin at the RedState conference that happened two weeks ago.  Heck, any allegation that you’ve got a drunk Senate candidate letting it all hang out in front of about 400 bloggers and the story managed to stay out of the news for about two weeks sure got my interest.  With an audience like that there sure had to be someone who wrote about it, or captured it on video, so I set out searching to find what surely had to be easy to find corroboration on this one.  Heck, if it was true it would make one heck of a story and I wanted it.

Strangely, there was nothing.  No one posted about it, and there’s no video.  So just how then does Eric Erickson say that the speech he didn’t watch, and reports on with nothing more than comments from anonymous attendees be true?  There’s got to be some sort of trail at least on twitter from bloggers snarking to each other than Radtke is acting like an idiot and crashing her campaign into the ground somehere, right?  So here’s what I finally manage to find:

This is what happens when a drunk rambles on in front of a crowd of national political bloggers?  No.  Not in a million years does this happen.  What the heck is going on here?

It turns out that Eric Erickson has been pressured by his RedState employers at the Eagle Publishing, who are big George Allen supporters, to back off from supporting Jaime Radtke.  Erickson then starts slamming Radtke with posts that have no evidence whatsoever to support them, and George Allen’s allies at Bearing Drift go to town declaring that Radtke’s campaign is over.  What a load of crap.  And here I was thinking that Bearing Drift was actually interested in supporting their stories with some level of proof about what they’re saying.  Instead they’re just peddling patent bullshit here, and they have to know it.  They can’t be that stupid to not realize they’re peddling lies, especially when the guy doing so is a former press spokesman for the Republican Party of Virginia.

What is really enraging here is that had they just left Radtke alone, her campaign would have likely folded.  Radtke has more debt than cash according to her last campaign finance report and I have no idea how they could possibly continue to operate a statewide campaign on volunteer efforts alone.  Radtke isn’t even breaking into double digits in the polls, while Allen has a comfortable if not utterly overwhelming lead.  Why try to destroy someone who isn’t posing any serious threat at all?  Left to her own devices, Radtke’s campaign is on life support already and not likely to survive much longer.

That should change, if there’s any sense of decency left in Virginia politics after Allen has been crashing through it this cycle.  I’m sick of seeing the George Allen crew pull this kind of sick stunt against anyone with the temerity to offer themselves as an alternative.  So far this cycle we’ve seen precious little of the kind of decency and Virginia genteelness that Allen talks about on the campaign trail, and a whole lot of venomous, low-ball garbage as Allen swats at political flies with howitzers using surrogates.  One of these victims is going to rise up and hit him back hard for this, and perhaps Jaime Radtke will be the one to do it.

I hope people in Virginia start to understand what’s going on here and start getting behind Jaime or some other alternative to George Allen like E. W. Jackson.  This kind of garbage can’t be allowed to stand as Virginians deserve a whole lot better than the George Allen we’ve seen this cycle.  For what the Allen crew is trying to pull here, it deserves to see Jaime Radtke pull in a bunch of cash and start actually posing a real threat to the heir-apparent who for some reason thinks he deserves, rather than has the right to earn, the Republican nomination next year.

1. Lovettsville Lady said on 26 Aug 2011 at 1:32 am:

This sounds like out of control staff more than any direction from George Allen. It wouldn’t be the first time a bunch of youngsters did something like this.

2. CR UV said on 26 Aug 2011 at 6:44 am:

Even if the Radtke campaign was given all the cash in the world to fight George Allen, exactly how would it pose a threat while it is still a campaign about who isn’t George Allen, rather then one of who is Jamie Radtke?

It’s a shame if the people working with George Allen are being dishonest about this, but considering how poor her campaign has been so far, I hardly believe she deserves anything more than she has received.

3. Loudoun Lady said on 26 Aug 2011 at 6:59 am:

Sounds like a blog writer/contributor/commentor situation, not a George Allen situation. Unfortunately, most of the “Tea Party” and/or blog supporter of Jamie Radkte I have had the not-so-pleasurable experience of reading or listening to has totally trashed George Allen as a racist/liberal/piece of crap/RINO. Is this coming directly from the Radtke campaign? I doubt it. The shit flows both ways, but I do agree that it is way early for all this.

4. KimS said on 26 Aug 2011 at 8:58 am:

Thanks for taking the time to look into this Greg. There’s an old saying that the best indicator of future behavior is past behavior, and, assuming your research is true, we’ve got yet another indicator that Allen hasn’t matured much beyond college frat boy. Remember, had Allen not spouted off at a blogger in the Senate race a few years ago, Virginia might have a Republican Senator instead of Jim Webb.

It’s still early, but I’ll have to check out the other candidates. If Allen and his team really are behaving this stupidly now, I can’t imagine how terribly they’ll blow it in the general election or what a sort of ethical nightmares we’ll be treated to if he’s elected.

5. Robert L. Duecaster said on 26 Aug 2011 at 11:33 am:

What do you expect from the guy or his staff? He’s congenitally stupid and will hire staffers of the same ilk. My vote, my dollars, and my volunteer efforts will go to Jamie and I urge others to do the same.

6. VRC said on 26 Aug 2011 at 11:55 am:

I agree with you on this, Greg. Jamie may not be the perfect candidate or even someone I was going to support, but to throw reckless accusations around like drunkenness is way over the line and should be accounted for. Typical big money, country club establishment dirty pool.

7. Ellie Lockwood said on 26 Aug 2011 at 2:46 pm:

I recall seeing a post by Jaime early on being excited that Erick Erickson was going to support her campaign. Immediately, other posters commented that Erick Erickson was not someone to be trusted. Some said back stabber and one called him a snake. It looks like those posters knew what they were talking about. I feel very sorry for Jaime. She is an extremely talented person who did not deserve the vile accusations put out by Red State…..which I no longer subscribe to.

8. Kris Nieman said on 26 Aug 2011 at 3:02 pm:

I’ve been paying attention to Mr. George Allen’s campaign and trying to learn what I can about him as a new Virginian myself. I was willing to overlook the name-calling fiasco that got him into trouble, but I’m not liking what I’m hearing about him lately. This behavior which you refer to, Greg, plus the lackluster support for anti-illegal immigration efforts… will have me looking elsewhere for representation.

9. Fred said on 26 Aug 2011 at 3:21 pm:

George Allen has been up and down the commonwealth helping raise money and supporting 2011 GOP candidates. He’s been aggressive in getting out in front of as many people as possible and doing his best to redeem his 2006 loss. Democrats will go all in with Timmy Kaine as their nominee so we need a heavy hitter like George Allen who can go toe-to-toe and raise dollar-for-dollar with the Donkeys.

10. VA Blogger said on 26 Aug 2011 at 3:48 pm:

I wouldn’t even blame Allen’s staff or campaign. It sounds like it originated with Erickson and Eagle Publishing. That doesn’t even amount to staff, just supporters.

Are we seriously going to start holding candidates responsible for the pranks their supporters pull in their name?

11. Anonymous said on 26 Aug 2011 at 5:39 pm:

I don’t care for Allen at all. He is nothing more than another professional politician. He will do and say whatever to get elected. He needs to do us all a favor and move to Florida.

12. Logical Thinker said on 26 Aug 2011 at 7:55 pm:

OK, reality check for all of you who seem to hate GA. GA wins the GOP nom. Kaine wins his. In Nov ’12, do you stay at home and pout, vote for Kaine, vote for some yet named third party and forfeit the election to Kaine? Are you really willing to elect someone who will vote to organize the Senate with Harry Reid as majority leader?! If so, you are a self piteous, blithering, idiot.

I suggest if you don’t like GA, fine, criticize him on the issues. Go for it. Expend all the energy you want to. That would be fair. But this silly, yes silly infatuation with what bloggers say and do is really not very instructive. Don’t like him, OK, why? That would be a productive discussion instead of all this paddle.

13. Charles said on 26 Aug 2011 at 11:54 pm:

What “looking into”? Anybody would know more than what is posted here if you just search the internet for 5 seconds.

Erickson said that people at the speech said she looked like she had been drinking. He never said she was drunk. He has posted at least twice to apologize for any suggestion she was drunk.

Erickson is kind of like a blogger, Greg. And Jaime Ratdke threatened to SUE HIM, for implying she was drunk.

Greg, don’t you usually fight for bloggers when candidates threaten them with lawsuits?

BTW, Erickson actually did endorse Ratdke. He still doesn’t like Allen, and is hoping that one of the other candidates that could actually be decent candidates could step up — kind of like the same message you have here.

Another guy who supported Ratdke, and gave her a rousing introduction, has also posted his first-hand account of the speech, and his account is pretty damaging to Ratdke.

Interestingly, it appears that Ratdke, a candidate for the Senate seat, speaking at a conservative venue, given the opportunity to introduce the producer of the Palin movie, didn’t even have one of her supporters or campaign staff tape her own speech.

And at a gathering of 400 conservatives hearing her, so far none have been found who thought her speech was worth taping.

As for Erickson and his employers, Erickson says they warned him that he should take it slow with Ratdke, and learn more about her before he jumped in with both feet. He now says he’s glad they did. I guess saying they pressured him into not supporting her sounds a lot more nefarious.

14. Vigilant1 said on 27 Aug 2011 at 8:44 am:

Kris Nieman said on 26 Aug 2011 at 3:02 pm:

Numerous letters to Allen when he was Senator with regard to illegal immigration and what it was doing to this country and Virginia received absolutely no response from him or his office. He will not be receiving my vote. I would prefer to vote for “Ham Sandwich” than Allen.

15. Anonymous said on 27 Aug 2011 at 12:32 pm:

I would rather write in my own name, than vote for Allen.

16. freedom said on 28 Aug 2011 at 1:03 pm:

OK, OK, OK….so you don’t like George Allen, would you really prefer yet another “stop anything positive” democrat senate?

It all boils down to a vote for policy; if you “write in your own name” or support a no-name alternative to the Republican nominee, you’re in reality voting for the same kind of Congress that we have right now…and in my opinion — surely yours as well — THAT must change.

17. Kris Day said on 28 Aug 2011 at 6:55 pm:

So that’s our only option… George Allen or Tim Kaine? What about Corey Stewart - wasn’t he going to enter the race? What about others? What about Ken Cucinelli? Who’s in this race?

18. Prester John said on 28 Aug 2011 at 7:31 pm:

Other announced Republican candidates:

Tim Donner http://www.timdonner.com/

E.W. Jackson, Sr. http://jacksonforvirginia.com/

Jamie Radtke http://radtkeforsenate.com/

David McCormick http://senaterace2012.com/

19. The BulletProof Monk said on 1 Sep 2011 at 10:59 pm:

George all the way…. Or you’ve just helped elect Kaine. There ain’t two ways about this. I know FAR TOO MUCH about Raddke and her assocoations (McSweeney for one…) They don’t get any more political slick job than McSweeney.