Reader Question: Who Do I Support?

By Greg L | 15 October 2011 | Prince William County | 13 Comments

Sometimes BVBL readers email in questions, and when they’re particularly relevant I like to throw these out to all the readers in general. Bob Marshall or Carl Genthner? Tom Gordy or Chuck Colgan? Pete Candland or Ann Wheeler? Corey Stewart or Babur Lateef? And most importantly, why?

Dear Greg,

I live in the 13th [House] District. I don’t know much about the candidates up for election in November, except what I was able to read from the League of Women’s Voters Guide. I am just not too familiar with the local candidates and I would appreciate knowing your top choices if you lived in this district. For instance, is Sen. Colgan a better pick than Mr. Gordy? Had a call from Mr. Gordy’s camp the other day… Anyway, I wonder if you have already given your top choices for those of us who are keen to stop illegal immigration and generally support Republican or Tea Party values… I could really use the direction before I go to the polling booth. I trust your opinion.

Thanks a bunch, and thank you for your blog!

As a bonus, you might want to explain why you’re writing in Ham Sandwich instead of Paul Ebert.

I’ll weigh in after I let a few others take a crack at this in the comments thread.

1. KimS said on 16 Oct 2011 at 9:31 am:

If you’re looking for information about school board candidates, check out the 2011 School Board Candidate Questionnaire on the PWC Education Reform Blog here (http://pwceducationreform.wordpress.com/pwc-sb-elections/). We received responses from the following candidates:

Milt Johns - Running for Chairman
    Alyson Satterwhite - Running to represent Gainesville
    Lisa Bell - Running to represent Neabsco
    Gil Trenum - Running to represent Brentsville
    Lori Dolieslager - Running to represent Brentsville
    John O’Leary - Running to represent Brentsville

Despite multiple attempts, we were unable to contact Myra Sawyers, Diane Raulston, or Lillian Garland who are the Democratically endorsed candidates and are running for Chair and to represent Neabsco and Coles, respectively, and do not have responses from them. We did not receive responses from Don Richardson and Dr. Michael Otaigbe, who are running to represent Gainesville and Coles districts.

Just a reminder - 57% of your local property taxes and 16% of your state taxes go directly to the public schools. Education is the single largest line item in the state budget at almost $15 billion for 2011 (of which $6 billion goes directly to local public schools). So, if you pay property taxes in PWC or income taxes or sales tax in Virginia, you’ve got a dog in that fight even if you don’t have kids in school.

2. Anonymous said on 16 Oct 2011 at 12:21 pm:

Colgan is about as far away from Tea Party, conservative leadership as you can get. He votes in favor of every tax increase and was the leader in funneling taxpayer dollars to non-state entities until the Attorney General issued an opinion saying that doing so was unconstitutional. Colgan also voted for in-state tuition benefits for illegal aliens.

Despite what Colgan’s lit says, he is a big-spending, tax-hiking protector of illegal aliens. Vote Tom Gordy.

3. Stan said on 16 Oct 2011 at 5:36 pm:

For all that Colgan talks about being able to single-handedly ensure state money gets spent in the district he is amazingly incapable of ensuring his own bills on illegal immigration make it out of committee. If this guy was doing more than paying lip service to the issue he would be telling people in Courts of Justice that if they kill his bills, he will strop every funding measure for their districts out of anything that gets through Senate finance.

The only thing Chuck cares about is Chuck. Anyone else notice how the first big event at the Hylton Center was a love fest for him with Saslaw babbling on about how we need to re-elect this turd?

4. Gainesville District Resident said on 17 Oct 2011 at 6:38 am:

What about Corey’s praising of Colgan in this article in the Gainesville Times? I guess not all republicans are on the same page. Bwahaha!

While he would not outright endorse state Colgan for a tenth term, saying he is a Republican after all, Stewart praised the Democrat as being the counter to what he deemed to be an inadequate number of senators

“Chuck Colgan’s weight and stature in the General Assembly and the Senate makes up for our lack of numbers,” said Stewart. “The fact of the matter is, Chuck Colgan has brought in hundreds of millions of dollars in transportation projects to Prince William County. I know he’s a Democrat but it’s a fact.

“And if it hadn’t been for Chuck Colgan over the lack decade or two, Prince William County would not have gotten its fair share of road construction funding,” Stewart added.

5. Dittyman8 said on 17 Oct 2011 at 3:54 pm:

Who is running for the Occoquan District? Isn’t Grant Lattin stepping down?

6. Greg L said on 17 Oct 2011 at 5:51 pm:

Lattin surprisingly does not have an opponent, and he is not stepping down.

7. Dittyman8 said on 17 Oct 2011 at 8:16 pm:

Greg L -

Thanks. I’m glad that the Dems didn’t bother to find another loser.

8. Greg L said on 18 Oct 2011 at 12:11 am:

I will have an election guide (probably more than one, given how many races there are) in the next few days. In short, if you’re in the 13th House District I think you’re going to want to look at Alyson Satterwhite for School Board, Pete Candland for Gainesville Supervisor, Corey Stewart for PWC CHairman, Bob Marshall for Delegate and Tom Gordy for Senate. Other parts of the 13th House District overlap with some different races, and for those take a look at Dick Black (13th Senate District) and Anthony Arnold for Coles District Supervisor.

9. Red, White and Blue said on 19 Oct 2011 at 3:41 pm:

Gordy - reason - ANYONE except “Duck” Colgan.

10. Kris said on 20 Oct 2011 at 6:08 pm:

Greg, why not Carl Genthner instead of Bob Marshall?

11. why not toll roads? said on 21 Oct 2011 at 11:02 am:

Carl Genthner apparently wants to engage in class warfare over a toll road.

I personally have no problem with the Tri-County Parkway being a toll road. If the toll is 10 cents a mile (which is high) I’ve still at least broken even in terms of gas consumption vs. sitting in the congested mess on 28…and come out ahead in terms of time saved.

12. Jim Campbell said on 29 Oct 2011 at 2:43 pm:

I am a republican and have been so for many years. I support Chuck Colgan. He is a conservative democrat, has done much to address traffic issues in our area and understands that Virginia does not have a blank check book like the Federal government appears to have.

At first I thought that Gordy may have some future potential, even though I prefer Colgan now. Given the lies and mis-representations that I have received in the mail from Gordy, I do not ever see myself voting for him.

Conservatives must stand on values. Integrity is one of those values. If Gordy is unable to be truthful now, how would he be as a representative?

Colgan is not Obama and does not agree with him on many issues. He also chairs the Senate Finance committee and has been in part responsible for the excellent financial condition that Virginia is in. Colgan understands business. He turned around a failing airport in Manassas and created a profitable airline there. Chuck knows how to create jobs and knows business.

Chuck also knows how to get things done for our area. Prior to Colgan, PWC did not receive a fair share of funding to solve our traffic problems. Today, we are doing much better.

Chuck is in excellent shape and keeps a busy schedule serving our community. If you don’t think he is in good shape, you should watch him ride his bike and engage in other activities.

13. Greg L said on 29 Oct 2011 at 10:51 pm:

I’m curious. What “lies and misrepresentations” might you be referring to?

Perhaps it might be useful for me to post all of his campaign mailers and discuss in detail what he is saying in them about Chuck Colgan. I haven’t seen anything from Gordy I’d have an issue with.