Government That Works

By Greg L | 29 October 2011 | Fairfax County | 6 Comments

This might have been a blog post, but it seemed to lend itself much better to a short film documentary format. You can’t quite capture with just written words what a difference it makes to a small business owner who feels like government bureaucrats are going to screw him over when a local elected official steps in to make things right. Thanks to Delegate Tim Hugo for not only helping these great folks out, but assisting in this film project. Thanks also to the Mulford Riding School for being open to the idea of having a documentary filmed about what they’re going through.

1. Sick & Tired said on 30 Oct 2011 at 6:36 am:

So glad to see that this problem was resolved. The Mulford School has a long and proud history in Centreville. The school was crowded out of it’s original location and I was so happy to see them build again in the community. As someone that travels that stretch of road regularly, I am happy to hear that the traffic situation is being watched.

2. Harry said on 30 Oct 2011 at 9:31 am:

Both of my kids go to the Mulford School and I am THRILLED that Tim Hugo stepped in and fixed this. I have made the “death trap U-turns” early this Summer after VDOT first closed the lane. I can tell you, doing that with my kids in the car and dump trucks barreling toward us was no picnic.

Tim gives me hope that government can work.

We just need to get rid of those politicians who serve the government and not the people they represent.

3. skepp said on 30 Oct 2011 at 11:20 am:

Government DOES work.

Harry - could you explain what you last sentence means, please

4. hmm said on 30 Oct 2011 at 5:43 pm:

I would suggest that this is evidence that VDOT does not work.

5. Gaius Baltar said on 31 Oct 2011 at 12:09 pm:

Your video work is outstanding Greg

6. Harry said on 31 Oct 2011 at 4:09 pm:

@skepp - What I mean is that politicians (and unelected bureaucrats) seem to always try to figure out ways to get involved. Often, it is self-defeating.

Here we have an example where a lane was closed, and the decision to do was 1) going to harm a business that has been in Centreville since the 1960’s and 2) caused an unsafe traffic pattern.

Why was the lane closed?

I don’t think any one person knows - I could be wrong…. My guess is that between the county and VDOT, somewhere, somehow, a decision was made - likely on paper - to close the lane. It was a bunch of bureaucrats and regulations that caused the problem. Nobody’s fault, just an unfortunate product of bureaucracy.

My point is that we need politicians who understand that government is not always the answer. That common sense should prevail, and that sometimes the government needs to get out of the way.