Oh, Yeah!

By Greg L | 30 November 2011 | Virginia Politics | 20 Comments

Lots of rumors swirling around this evening about a couple of heavy-hitters perhaps jumping into some key state-wide races, and I’m liking them.  A lot.  Ken Cuccinelli may be running for Governor in 2013, and Bob Marshall may be jumping into the 2012 US Senate race.

I think of the two of these being sort of like a pair of heavy bombers on a beeline to drop a huge amount of conservative ordinance on an ossified Republican establishment.  It’s not that we need to elect Republicans to office, we need to elect principled conservative Republicans to office in order to make a difference, and these are two of the best.

1. Supporter said on 30 Nov 2011 at 10:46 pm:

The ken4gov handle has a bio that reads “not ken, just a supporter”

Great news though!

2. Cromagnum said on 30 Nov 2011 at 11:51 pm:

Bearing Drift has some links on Cuccinelli

“UPDATE x2: Bob Lewis with the AP has the definitive write up:

The official spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak for Cuccinelli.

Cuccinelli, 43, had served two terms in the state Senate when he was elected in a 2009 GOP statewide landslide, just one year after Democrats had routed Virginia’s GOP in the presidential election. He was among the first state attorneys general to file suit challenging President Barack Obama’s health care reform law just days after a Democratic Congress approved it.

He has become a darling of Virginia’s tea party movement and a devil to Democrats for his aggressive efforts to dismantle their landmark initiatives. He’s also had become a staple for television comedians and pundits for some of his actions in his first two years in office.”

3. Dave Core said on 1 Dec 2011 at 9:07 am:

I don’t think we can count out Lt Gov Bolling. While he doesn’t have the aggressiveness of Cuccinelli, he is an equally principled conservative and has shown a degree of humility by sitting out the 2009 race for Governor that is admirably and rarely seen. I’d rather see Cuccinelli vie against Warner in the 2014 US Senate race.

I am totally unenthusiastic about Allen in the U.S. Senate. During the whole debate on the debt ceiling he was noticeably silent. Bob Marshall would bring out conservative but will have a tougher time beating Kaine. But let’s bring that on!

4. G.Stone said on 1 Dec 2011 at 9:17 am:

Interesting indeed. 2013 will be another exciting political season.

KC has broad support and would make a terrific Gov. If he should decide 2013 is his time he has my support.

I have much admiration for Bob Marshall and supported his last Senate run. However, his support for JoAnn Chase and her wretched campaign for the 87th Delegate seat would give me great pause to do so again. Many who previously supported Bob will not be so eager this time around. This has nothing to do with conservatism and everything to do with support for a campaign that became a bigoted and ignorant platform for some political nitwits to prove how clueless they were and self promote , while in the process smearing a good Republican and his family.

5. Reasonable and Rational said on 1 Dec 2011 at 11:53 am:

Cooch and Marshall are very dangerous men

6. Gotta Be Kidd'in said on 1 Dec 2011 at 1:12 pm:

Yep, dangerous to libs and big government.

Ken beats Bill going away.

It’s too late for Bob. He can’t raise the money, it’s going to be a primary, and he will be swamped with radio, TV ads and mail. Besides no less than Mark Levin (radio) has endorsed Allen. It’s simply too late in the cycle for Bob. Love the guy, but he would do better to run for Lieutenant Gov.

7. Robert L. Duecaster said on 1 Dec 2011 at 1:13 pm:

Yes, R & R, they are extremely dangerous to the Liberal agenda.

8. Steve Thomas said on 1 Dec 2011 at 3:59 pm:

“I don’t think we can count out Lt Gov Bolling. While he doesn’t have the aggressiveness of Cuccinelli, he is an equally principled conservative and has shown a degree of humility by sitting out the 2009 race for Governor that is admirably and rarely seen.”

Dave, I agree. The sad part is, Bolling will be labled as a RINO, even though the accusation is baseless. I saw this at the last Richmond convention, when his nomination for LG was being challenged. Bolling put party first, recognizing that if the GOP nominee did not have to go through a contentious nominations process, the GOP would be in a much stronger position in the general. He was absolutely correct. I am very happy thar McDonnel was the nominee, ran a good campaign, and was elected governor. However, Bolling’s contribution to making this happen, should not be forgotten. I think our AG is a great candidate, and solid conservative, but so is Bolling.

9. Gotta Be Kidd'in said on 1 Dec 2011 at 7:02 pm:

Here’s the hard part in these inter-party deals. Who will be the most likely conservative to win the general? That’s Ken. Bill is a fine man and a stand up guy also for his willingness to yield to Bob in ‘09. But fundamentally why did he yield? Because he was not as strong as Bob. Bill is about right on all the issues, but campaigns are more than “being right on the issues”. There is also an appeal factor, both in presentation, appearance, and articulation of those issues that connects with people and the base in particular. Ken beats him going away in every category.

We are seeing 2009 play out again for Bill. He will not step aside this time and there will be, inevitably, hard feelings and a costly primary/convention (although the latter is cheaper). The D’s will probably sort themselves out by going with one person. I think that person will be Mark Warner. He’s the most popular guy they have and after all, he can say he’s done the job. He also has a record, largest tax hike passed in Virginia’s history. But to be sure, he has a following in the business community, read rich guys that he has NOT lost completely. Whoever we pick will have to deal with that. And it won’t be easy.

2013 is going to be a “rocker”. Get ready. We have lots of work to do.

10. Charles said on 2 Dec 2011 at 12:10 am:

If Warner actually dropped out of the Senate to run for Governor, then Bolling should run for the Senate seat, rather than fight Ken for the governorship. Or vice versa.

11. Loudoun Lady said on 2 Dec 2011 at 8:20 am:

Bob Marshall is one of my favorite legislators, however I agree that it is late in the cycle to throw in for Senate. I was dissappointed he supported JoAnn Chase and can not easily forget how David Ramadan and his family were maligned. I put that on JAC and her campaign, but it did taint some people on Bob himself.

Ken Cuccinelli has my full support and I will not pull out the RINO card (it’s stupid and ineffective to do so in any race) on Bolling, but I see the same dangerous language associated with Ken is already (24 hours!) being used against him as was in 2009. I am troubled by the quick disparagement of this man and for questioning his character and principles. If people want to ignite Ken and his supporters to redouble their efforts - they are off to a good start.

We have bigger fish to fry right now and my concentration will be on George Allen’s campaign and supporting our Presidential nominee. Great things can happen in VA in 2012 if people ease up on the rhetoric and make the conscious decision to work together and not let a race in 2013 tear us apart.

12. Bwana said on 2 Dec 2011 at 10:35 am:

While I do think Warner is more suited tempermentally to be Governor than Senator, does anyone think Mark Warner will take the heat of a Gubernatorial campaign? If he runs and loses the nomination fight OR loses in the general he is weakened for 2014. If he wins the governorship, he will have to resign his senate seat, and McDonnell will make the appointment to fill it.

I don’t see it.

13. Steve Thomas said on 2 Dec 2011 at 10:47 am:

Here’s a more likely scenario:

McDonnell is picked for running mate on the GOP presidential ticket. Bolling serves out the remainder of McDonnell’s term, and is eligible to seek election in his own right. Now Cuccinelli is challenging a sitting governor from his own party, for the nomination.

Now, I’ve no problem with Cuccinelli running. I think he’s a great candidate, and I would have no problem getting behind him. Bolling’s choice to seek reelection as LG, rather than run for Governor was his own choice. That said, it is my understanding that at the time, Cuccinelli expressed his desire to run at a much later date, thus clearing the way for Bolling this cycle. Ok, things change. I get it.

My biggest beef with how this is playing out is we have a much more pressing political fight in front of us: 2012 Presidential/Senatorial/Congressional. We haven’t even picked our nominee for President yet. We still have a contested Senate nominee contest. Call it a distraction. Call it premature. We don’t have time for this right now. Be must have a united GOP heading into November to defeat BHO, and gain control of the US Senate. Too much is riding on this next election: Supreme Court nominations. Nuclear Iran. The Economy. The Debt. Let’s fight the fight right in front of us, and save the start of VA Gov GOP nomination contest for Wednesday, November 7, 2012. Folks are already talking about how to divide up Berlin, and we haven’t even landed at Normandy yet.

14. Joe Doc said on 2 Dec 2011 at 12:02 pm:

I love Bob Marshall — I have his sticker on my bumper — but I don’t want him running for Senate. It’s Allen’s to win. He’s not the ideal conservative, but he’s conservative enough for me.

I love Ken C, but he knows what Bolling did to help get McDonnell elected. Ken should be patient. I will be putting a Bolling sticker on my car.

So for this pro-life, limited government, home-schooling dad, I’m going with Allen and Bolling.

15. Lovettsville Lady said on 3 Dec 2011 at 1:52 am:

Steve is right. Ken just set us up for a huge distraction, right through next year, and then a terrible inter party battle in 2013. No one has yet been able to tell me how this helps republicans in Virginia in 2012 or 2013 or beyond. I fear we’re going to lose some very good republican candidates over this. Already we know that we will lose either Ken or Bill. And it could get a whole lot worse. We could ultimately lose them both. For what? So that Ken can become Governor sooner rather than later?

There is no way a sitting Senator gives up that gig to become Governor. Senator is better, for a hundred reasons. Warner won’t run for Governor. But the odds for a democrat Governor in 2013 just got a whole lot better. It just won’t be Warner.

16. Lovettsville Lady said on 3 Dec 2011 at 1:57 am:

Joe Doc, that seems to be the sentiment shared by the majority at the Advance. Most people at the Advance are wearing Allen and Bolling stickers. But that’s only around a thousand active voters or so.

17. Loudoun Lady said on 3 Dec 2011 at 12:54 pm:

The biggest distraction will be from the people continually chirping that KC is a distraction, well beyond any reasonable timeframe.

It’s a choice people - either continue to distract yourself or start working on 2012. The election started Nov 9th and Ken Cuccinelli has no impact on any one person’s individual commitment to our candidates next year.

18. Anonymous said on 3 Dec 2011 at 11:10 pm:

Cant wait for to Ken to protect our children from moral hazzard and require that controceptives be sold behind the counter!

Cant wait to pay higher prices for liquer and have my taxes go up because of some ideology that the state shouldnt be in the spirits buiseness! Maybe all those REITS will have there way so there vacant strip malls can have two liquer stores apiece! Competition should drive down those prices! Cant wait to look just like Maryland!

Cant wait to fund the coal fields expressway with nova gas tax dollars for minumal gain while we stay in gridlock on 66 to centreville every day for the rest of our lives because the republicans think that life is not how you live it but only happens during cotroception!

19. Greg L said on 3 Dec 2011 at 11:32 pm:

Seems like it was only yesterday when some mainstream media outlet was trumpeting how liberals were better educated than conservatives.

I guess they were (what a shock) wrong.

20. Joe Doc said on 5 Dec 2011 at 11:04 am: