Manassas Park’s Big, Bold, New Plan

By Greg L | 8 December 2011 | Manassas Park | 24 Comments

Finally, there’s a big, bold plan to rescue Manassas Park from their financial doldrums.  Put up signs on Rt. 28 that advertise the city as “a destination.”  There’s little doubt that employing this heavily overused phrase, one that has been sucked dry of any meaning it ever had long ago, will make the park suddenly explode as the economic engine of Northern Virginia as area residents flock to enjoy the city’s vacant storefronts, parks featuring MS-13 gang graffitti, and a thriving subculture of illegal alien lawlessness.

Honestly, if the planning commission really wants to market the city as a destination, they might want to consider locating those signs in El Salvador.

1. David Ruttenberg said on 8 Dec 2011 at 12:28 am:

Yep!

They’re a destination alright!

2. anklenipper said on 8 Dec 2011 at 11:37 am:

I think the coyotes are already using that slogan for MP.

3. Cynic said on 8 Dec 2011 at 11:46 am:

Question: Is it legal for Manassas Park to locate signs in El Salvador with the intend of informing the El Salvadorian that MP is a potential destination for its citizens? Would that not require El Salvadorian to obtain Passports to travel to the USA and then VA./MP. Are El Salvadorian sufficiently familiar with this legal process? From my understanding of the situation, most El Salvadorian planning to travel to the USA use a travel service which does not require all the “red tape” involved with obtaining a Passport.

Also, would this initiative be approved by whomever (MP) approves such matters?

locating those signs in El Salvador

4. Virgil said on 8 Dec 2011 at 12:02 pm:

Perhaps a week long civil war event or two would work?

5. Cynic said on 8 Dec 2011 at 1:52 pm:

Virgil

Where would you want to hold the civil war event?

MP or El Salvador? Or maybe both places - a Sister City Exchange Event. Such an Event could have wide International Appeal that would be attended by huge crowds willing to spend huge sums of money.

6. Nuhh Comprende said on 8 Dec 2011 at 11:37 pm:

Was it in Spanish too?

(just wandering)

7. Anonymous said on 9 Dec 2011 at 5:12 pm:

It all depends on who made the money on the sign, doesn’t it.

8. park'd said on 12 Dec 2011 at 3:29 pm:

The park made their bed many years ago when they allowed themselves to become the defacto illegal alien sanctuary location in the DC area. Seeing as we had one of the top ten highest foreclosure rates in the NATION in 2008, I’d say that idea didn’t work out too well for us. The people get what they deserve in the end though. Apathy and ignorance are cruel task masters. I’ll be out of here through short sale or foreclosure/BK come spring either way and I’ll leave this town to the illegals and section 8 deadbeats and of course the local politicians/executives who to this day still swear up and down that the illegals here had nothing to do with where we are now. Enjoy it and relish in the fact that you’ll soon lose another productive tax payer from your city coffers.

9. MPCinsider said on 15 Dec 2011 at 2:57 pm:

LOL!! Thank you for posting this. I was waiting for you to get back on track. There has been many meeting recently about money that MP does not have. All departments had to submit a revised budget for the coming year. Since the rec center is chewing up the budget faster then expected I think the director head should be on the chopping blocks since she stated that the center would be profitable.

10. FrauD said on 18 Dec 2011 at 2:59 pm:

Perhaps if those we’ve elected to run our city would actually STOP spending money on unnecessary things like new police cruisers and the like, when our credit rating has been downgraded, MP may make it another another year or two before the inevitable occurs. And, it can’t happen too soon for me.

11. MPCinsider said on 21 Dec 2011 at 8:57 am:

You know FrauD I have to agree with you, but the city council is digging another hole for wich the residents will have to pay for. The city cannot get it right for the past 10 years.

12. Red,White and Blue said on 21 Dec 2011 at 10:33 pm:

It is necessary for citizens to appear and put in their two cents at council meetings and board meetings in the Park. While I am not a resident of the Park I do have some business in the Park. That said, of the few meetings I have attended in the Park in the last 10 years to include both Planning, Zoning and regular City Council meetings, I have rarely seen more than two to four residents at such meetings. Some meetings only had the “participants” at them only, no one else.

I work like the rest of us do but when an issue peaks my interest I appear AND speak .When we needed the PWCBOS to listen and pass the “Rule of Law” in was audience participation and scores of folks showing up that made a huge impact.

Participation is just about as important as voting. I would strongly urge any community residents, business owners and other interested parties to show up once in a while at such meetings. Some bloggers (here) do and you can gain much insight on the happenings and positions of the folks on the Boards and Councils. Of you who have had the “privilege” of attending Manassas City School Board meetings know exactly what I am talking about. It is also very important to followup, write letters and attend subsequent meetings. It makes some folks squirm and others take notice and not in a bad way either.

If we let them have their way it is easy to see how things can go to crap quickly.

Help Save Manassas sent a powerful message.

If we need to address issues then lets show up.

13. MPCinsider said on 28 Dec 2011 at 6:24 am:

Hey Brian Leeper when are you going to reveal how bad MP finances are? You got til Jan 31st.

14. Brian Leeper said on 29 Dec 2011 at 9:06 am:

I think there’s no disputing that MP has financial problems.

15. MPCinsider said on 29 Dec 2011 at 9:17 am:

Brian check your gmail account. I sent you info about unpaid funds.

16. Brian Leeper said on 29 Dec 2011 at 10:46 am:

I saw that, thank you, I will look into that.

17. EWright said on 3 Jan 2012 at 8:27 am:

I sure hope the MPCinsider and Brian Leeper are not colluding to undermine the management and/or the financial situation of MP. If (seemingly inside) info about unpaid funds is being shared with City Council member Leeper, should it not also be shared with the other members.

18. MPCinsider said on 3 Jan 2012 at 10:55 am:

hey EWright I found out information of unpaid funds to MP, and Brian will do his best to investigate and bring it to the attention of the council. Even though I have slammed Brian in the past I know he will find the answers.

BTW I don’t collude!!

19. EWright said on 4 Jan 2012 at 6:26 pm:

I only said that to point out that you were sending only to Brian. Why not send to every person on the council, especially if you want to investigate unpaid funds. I’m sure everybody wants answers, not just Brian.

20. MPCinsider said on 5 Jan 2012 at 6:49 am:

I don’t trust anyone one council except for Brian. The Mayor has been involved with stuff in the past. The Vice Mayor is way too close to the situation. The other council members have close connection to the area of investigation also. Hence Brian is the only one qualify to handle the job.

BTW this unpaid funds have been going on for many years and if the council would stop turning a blind eye to it then maybe MP would be a better place.

21. mpcinsider said on 16 Feb 2012 at 6:45 am:

Well MP got a new fire chief. I wonder how much the citizen of MP will be taxed to pay for his salary!!

22. mpcinsider said on 1 Mar 2012 at 2:18 pm:

well the new city manager needs a lesson in communication skills

23. FrauD said on 8 Mar 2012 at 5:00 pm:

I have just learned that employees of MP, using MP equipment cleared the driveway and parking spots for the residents of 219 Lambert Drive, after the 2 feet of snow that fell a few years back. A neighbor asked the city employee if all of the residents would be getting such treatment and they told her “no”. That this house was being cleared because of the storm drain that is there. Folks, there is no storm drain at that house, but there is one, two houses down. But, strangely enough, those folks didn’t get their parking spaces or driveway cleared by the City.

With all of the budget issues MP has, do you think waisting Tax Payers’ money on clearing the driveway of a friend of a City employee is fair to the rest of us? No, it is not.

24. FrauD said on 24 Mar 2012 at 10:18 am:

I have to say that I am totally against the rebuilding of a skateboard park in MP. And, I am very dissapointed by our elected officials, who are going along with this plan.

We are still in a recession. Should we, as a city ladened with debt and living off credit every month, be building something of this magnatude for the use of primarily non-residents?

City council, please wake up and stop spending money we don’t have for things we really don’t have to have. Even with the most generous of donations, who will be paying the liability insurance on this park?