Bob Marshall Makes It Official

By Greg L | 16 January 2012 | Virginia Politics, US Senate | 11 Comments

With Virginia’s Republican establishment blog Bearing Drift heaping scorn on Marshall on the same day Marshall officially announces his candidacy, I have little doubt George Allen is very concerned about his political future. To me, that’s good. A primary that does little more than anointing a candidate on the basis that they’re owed it holds scarcely any interest from me.

1. Loudoun Lady said on 16 Jan 2012 at 6:55 pm:

I’ve never heard George Allen or anyone in his campaign express the sentiment that he was owed this Senate seat. I haven’t heard this from his supporters either.

FWIW - I’m consistent when it comes to competition on the ballot - whether it is the Senate or Governor’s race.

I do however think Bob is entering late and is at a disadvantage with support and money. That said, he has every right to throw his hat in the ring.

2. Satchmo said on 17 Jan 2012 at 10:21 am:

Where’s the barf bag?

3. Steve Thomas said on 17 Jan 2012 at 10:58 am:

I think it is a sign of a healthy party when we have so many candidates seeking the nomination. If you will notice, members of the “loyal opposition” rarely have the choices we in the GOP have, and this couldn’t be more true when we look at local races. Whereas the GOP has primaries, conventions, etc., I usually learn who the democrat nominee is when I open the paper, or read it on a blog. No notice or call in the paper, specifying a method of nomination, with filing deadlines, etc. Very few contested nominations. A candidate just materializes out of the ether. As much as the Democrats love to throw stones at the GOP, or bash our candidates, at least we have a choice as to who our nominees are, and we have a process by which candidates are vetted.

Good luck to all the GOP US Senate candidates.

4. Badger said on 18 Jan 2012 at 8:56 am:

I like Bob. I agree with most of what he does but not all of what he does. I think Virginia will find some of his ideas a bit extreme… but I wish him luck.

For the record, I signed his nomination petition to give him a shot.

5. Robert L. Duecaster said on 19 Jan 2012 at 1:29 pm:

Badger:

Extremism in the pursuit of a worthy objective is no vice. Sacrificing principles to achieve moderation is no virtue.

6. Badger said on 19 Jan 2012 at 10:30 pm:

@RLD, certainly a loft sentiment as long as actually winning a Senste seat for a Republican isn’t really the goal.

7. Doug Brown said on 20 Jan 2012 at 12:48 am:

Allen has been known to have his moments, besides Marshall can more effectively attack Kaine from the Conservative Catholic POV. Why not let both of them whale away on Kaine and cheer on the pummeling?

8. Hirons said on 20 Jan 2012 at 4:48 pm:

That’s not a Nova Digital Films production, is it? Cause it sucks.

9. Greg L said on 21 Jan 2012 at 12:00 am:

No, it’s not. I think Bob did this on his own.

10. Lesser Known Jack said on 23 Jan 2012 at 9:00 am:

Hirons, I’m glad you asked b/c I was afraid to ask.

My first question was why is Bob Marshall talking to the bookshelf?

I’m excited to learn more about what Bob has to say.

11. David Rinaldi Coleman said on 24 Jan 2012 at 3:46 pm:

Greg L:

Bob Marshall is throwing his hat INTO the ring. (He’s not in the ring throwing his hat.)

That said, I’ll be proud to have Bob Marshall as my U.S. Senator.