Our Crack Local Mainstream Media

By Greg L | 1 February 2012 | Illegal Aliens, Crime, Prince William County | 18 Comments

So this guy is charged with being a “peeping tom,” an offense that Delegate Jackson Miller said several years ago during a debate about some legislation he was sponsoring that would require that a police officer release the suspect on a summons, and the perp is being held without bond in jail?  My, are we going to get the ACLU and every other “civil rights” organization screaming bloody murder about denying civil rights to a Latino?

Or did the vaunted news organization of the News and Messenger simply fail to inquire during their reporting that this alleged freak might be an illegal alien, or choose not to report that he is?  On it’s face, this story either demonstrates a blatant violation of Virginia law, or obvious selective reporting by our local media.

You decide.

1. Steve Thomas said on 2 Feb 2012 at 6:09 am:

On a related subject, VCDL vocally opposed this legislation, when proposed by then-freshman Delegate Miller. This I could not understand, as it had nothing to do with the right to keep and bear arms. I contacted several members of VCDL leadership and asked them to explain why they were urging their members to contact their legislators and voice their strong opposition to Del. Miller’s bill. The responses I got back were pathetic. The lengths they went to to get to a hypothetical situation where a peeping tom’s gun rights were threatened, made me decide to immediately scrape the VCDL sticker off my car, stop working gun-shows for them, and I let my membership expire. Considering they were actively working to defeat a non-gun related piece of legislation, submitted by their endorsed candidate during the immediate-past election cycle, demonstrated to me a complete lack of situational awareness.

2. Dave in PWC said on 2 Feb 2012 at 6:49 am:

I say that they didn’t mention the ICE detainer. They even allowed comments on the story which is unusual for any story with a latino alleged criminal.

3. VA_Magoo said on 2 Feb 2012 at 8:35 am:

Oh come on now, we all know there are no illegals in PWC……..

He wasnt a Peeping Tom, he was casing the house to see if they had any copper laying around that needed to be liberated.

4. Cynic said on 2 Feb 2012 at 2:28 pm:

Our laws applied only to citizens and legal immigrant; illegals are exempt from our laws.

5. Red,White and Blue said on 2 Feb 2012 at 7:33 pm:

Pardon my confusion. It appears that Cruz is being held without bond. Steve elludes to the VCDL and some legislation that would allow Cruz, in this case, to be released with only a summons. But that was not the case. Since Cruz is, as of the time of this article, being held without bond I ask, what does the VCDL have to do with this matter? If Steve wants to quit an organization because of one disagreement that is his perogative but Cruz was held and not because of any legislation that delegate Miller failed to get through. In fact, Delegate Miller’s legislative bill did get out of committee last year but as I recall failed on the floor. Mr. Cruz is being held without the bebefit of the Delegate Miller’s legistation which is good in this case. So as I said, what is the problem? I am confused. The system worked and the VCDL had nothing to do with it and the lack of Delegate Miller’s bill did not have any affect on Cruz being held as I understand it.
    Steve, the VDCL may have a few problems like all of us and so does every single politician and candidate as some time or other. Yet I would never leave any organization or stop supporting a candidate just because all is not perfect in Mudville.
    Jackson Miller readily acknowledged his membership in the VCDL when he was first running for office in won by an extremely narrow victory as I recall of less than 3 votes and since, his distanced himself from the VCDL and I believe did not join again over the issue Steve elludes to. That is his choice but the VCDL was there for Delegate Miller in a time of need and that should not be taken lightly.
    Steve has been a hard worker for Manassas and Help Save Manassas. I appreciate his efforts. I encourage him not to beat the horse when it was not in the race - Cruz is in jail that is the point.

I will continue to support Jackson Miller even when I disagree with him at times. I will support any organization as long as the goals mirror most of my views and they direct their efforts to forward the same.

6. Greg L said on 2 Feb 2012 at 11:48 pm:

I think the point here is that since police can’t legally detain someone on a class 1 misdemeanor, much less hold him without bail, there is some other reason for the suspect being held like this. Since under Virginia law illegal aliens cannot qualify for bail (although they can challenge that) it is quite likely this person is an illegal alien. The reporters, if they were actually committing journalism here, would have certainly inquired about this unusual circumstance. Or perhaps they did and chose not to report it.

The problem here isn’t the idea that officers cannot use their discretion to detain misdemeanants, but that the local mainstream media is either incredibly sloppy or willfully withholding material facts from the public.

7. freedom said on 3 Feb 2012 at 9:46 am:

Exactly Greg, and your post makes that point clearly. In either case though, whether the reporter failed to ask or the “News and Messenger” failed to report, it is yet one more example of the fact that after numerous efforts over the years to cut production cost, our local newspaper has gradually degenerated to become little more than a 5-day per week police blotter with a few other tidbits thrown in.

8. Red, White and Blue said on 3 Feb 2012 at 11:16 am:

Greg,

Thanks for your explaination.
    I just regret that some folks leave normally very good, worthy and clearly necessary organizations over an issue or two. If that were the case I don’t think I could support anybody but some pain is worth a lot of gain and/or mileage. It just comes with the territory.

We both completely agree on the illegal alien issue and that the “free press” is, for the most part but not exclusively, free to be very selective and/or repressive when it comes to certain issues, articles or political direction - a fine example is the (lack of) coverage on the uncivil and/or criminal behavior by the “occupy something” people.

Our local rag unfortunately fits into that category more often than not.

9. MPResident said on 3 Feb 2012 at 9:18 pm:

Greg, maybe I am mistaken, but a class 1 misdemeanor is punishable by up to 1 year in jail and/or a $2500 fine. I believe a police officer may take someone charged with a class 1 before a magistrate who makes the decision to hold him or release him.

10. Former Officer said on 4 Feb 2012 at 5:09 am:

Correct MPResident. If committed in the officers presence he can be arrested and presented to the magistrate. The magistrate then determines bail, if any, NOT the officer. Why anyone would not want a peeping tom taken straight to jail is beyond me. Peeping tom today, sexual assault suspect tomorrow.

11. Steve Thomas said on 4 Feb 2012 at 1:40 pm:

RW&B,

Overall, I think VCDL is a great organization. They’ve more than any other organization to advance 2nd Ammendment rights in VA, than any other organization, IMHO, including the NRA, GOA, VAGOC, etc. The individual members I have interacted with over the years are top-shelf, salt-of-the-earth, VA patriots. My decision to leave the organization wasn’t an easy one, and it wasn’t my intention to slam the entire organization, nor the totality of its efficacy.

Greg mentioned Jackson Miller’s sponsered legislation years ago, as well as “ACLU and every other “civil rights” organization screaming bloody murder about denying civil rights to a Latino” I was recounting my experience with the leadership of a certain “civil rights” organization, of which I was a proud member at the time, and this organization was actively opposing legislation that I felt had nothing whatsoever to do with the core agenda of the group, ie. protecting and expanding R2K&BA. I also objected to the tactics being used to pressure Delegate Miller to pull the bill: Send out an email encouraging the membership to flood Del. Miller’s email and telephone in opposition to the bill. This is the tactic you use on the unfriendlies, not the friendlies, and certainly not on candidates your organization has endorsed. When I voiced my concerns to the EM’s of the organization, I told them not only did I fail to see how this had anything to do with gun-rights, and everything to do with getting perverts off the streets, as well as being tactically unsound, my concerns where dismissed.

12. Holly said on 4 Feb 2012 at 5:01 pm:

WASHINGTON - An illegal immigrant found guilty of murder for causing a crash while drunk driving that killed a Benedictine nun has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.

Carlos Martinelly Montano, 24, was sentenced to 20 years for the murder and 20 years for other charges, to be served concurrently.

Martinelly’s 16-year-old brother and mother spoke on his behalf and Martinelly read a letter about finding God in prison.

At one point, Martinelly’s brother broke down in tears on the stand.

The judge said the testimony led him to reduce the sentence.

He had faced up to 70 years in prison.

The prosecution did not present any witnesses during the sentencing. And neither of the surviving nuns was present.

Martinelly had been convicted of drunken driving twice before but was never deported. The case drew national attention.

Martinelly had pled guilty to lesser charges, including involuntary manslaughter. But his lawyers strongly disputed the murder charge, saying Martinelly’s actions - while negligent -lacked the element of malice that is required for a murder conviction.

Prosecutors acknowledged that the death of Sister Denise Mosier, 66, who lived in a convent in Richmond, was unintentional. But they argued that Virginia law allows a murder conviction when a death occurs in furtherance of an underlying felony, and in Virginia a third conviction for driving while intoxicated is classified as a felony.

Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Ronald Reel also argued that “a person driving under the influence of alcohol is a mobile bomb” and that Martinelly should have foreseen the consequences of his actions.

Martinelly’s conviction also appeared to set a legal precedent in Virginia. Both prosecutors and defense attorneys said it appeared to be the first reported case in the state where the murder laws were used in this fashion to prosecute a drunken-driving fatality.

Political leaders in Prince William County seized on Martinelly’s case as proof that federal authorities weren’t sufficiently aggressive in deporting of criminal illegal aliens.

Prince William County filed a lawsuit against DHS in an attempt to get the agency to turn over records on an illegal immigrant charged with killing a nun.

During the trial, police officer Luis Zamora said Martinelly admitted he had been drinking for several days leading up to the Sunday morning crash, and said he was upset that his family had left him behind while they took a vacation to the beach. Officers found roughly 20 empty Coors Light cans in Martinelly’s car.

The two surviving nuns also testified. Sister Connie Ruth Lupton said she remembers nothing at all about the day of the crash, and her first memory is weeks later, when the hospital took her off a ventilator. She suffered 14 broken bones and had her left thumb severed by her seat belt from the impact of the crash. She said her spine is “connected with screws and pins” and she now walks with a cane.

The nun who was driving the car on Bristow Road, Charlotte Lange, said she “remembered a car coming at me at a distance” followed by a huge impact.

Mosier was pronounced dead at the scene. Martinelly and the two nuns were taken to the hospital by helicopter.

Martinelly’s immigration status did not come up once during the trial.

Martinelly came to the U.S. with his family from Bolivia when he was 9. He was facing deportation proceedings at the time of the Aug. 1, 2010 crash. But his lawyers said Monday that he had a work permit at the time, and they disputed the accuracy of calling him an illegal immigrant. http://www.wtop.com/?nid=164&sid=2733949

Don’t you just love PC– his lawyers said Monday that he had a work permit at the time, and they disputed the accuracy of calling him an illegal immigrant, how about we call him an illegal alien drunk driver killed citizens. i like how his family says he found God, his lock up time should be reduced..

13. Cynic said on 5 Feb 2012 at 11:55 am:

Holly said on 4 Feb 2012 at 5:01 pm:

“i like how his family says he found God, his lock up time should be reduced..”

Works every time and works best whenever illegals are involved.

14. Doug Brown said on 5 Feb 2012 at 12:13 pm:

Lawyers from Catholic services? Without condemning the Catholic clergy and laity which have contributed to the crisis in our immigration system, other churches have also contributed; it’s time to have an open discussion about why our immigration system is incapable of functioning. The discussion needs to begin with a basic question can a rogue agency like the USCIS be depended on to provide a functional, competent, gateway for immigrants and visitors to this country? Was Martinelly legal/ illegal? Why is the answer to that question: one dead nun, two nuns maimed for life, a twenty year taxpayer bill and a wasted life.

15. Anonymous said on 6 Feb 2012 at 5:17 pm:

Wow not many of you guys have been arrested before! Unless you are released on your own personal recognasince by the magistrate, you will be held until your arraignment hearing where bail will be set at that time. In other words, you dont get to go home if you have been arrested for a DUIm untill you see the judge.

16. Becky Dee said on 8 Feb 2012 at 10:23 pm:

I have to comment on the VCDL as I had an experience with them at the State Fair that confirmed to me that their leadership is unpredictable and bad for gun rights supporters. To my point, this year when visiting the fair I approached the VCDL booth, told them I was from Prince William, and off the bat got a diatribe about how Manassas is one of the most racist places in Virginia. Seriously, this VCDL representative (let’s call him “John”) went on for about 5 minutes about how the Sudley area was full of “white supremacists” in the 1970’s and they’re probably still there. Not only was I stunned, but I was very insulted, obviously. “John” then informed me he could tell I was a democrat (I’m not), which ticked me off even more. I asked, “How do you figure that?” The reply, “Well, you look like one.” I did not offer my party affiliation to him and instead asked if the VCDL supports Ken Cuccinelli. I had to repeat the question twice before one of them gave me a lukewarm, “Yeah, Ken’s alright”. Then “John” went on to tell me what a “jerk” Bob McDonnell is. I did not solicit an opinion about the Governor, “John” just went off about him on his own. (After labeling my community as being filled with white supremacists and telling me I looked like a dem, believe it or not this story actually does get worse.) When I asked if he’d ever actually met Bob McDonnell, “John” told me that no he hadn’t, but that McDonnell had attended a breakfast at the fair the day prior and seemed “uptight”. Really. There were two other VCDL members in the booth behind him, one of whom nodded in agreement throughout most of the conversation. The other looked as if he wanted the ground to swallow him up. I shook this obviously embarrassed gentleman’s hand and wished him luck, revealed to him that I was a conservative who supports gun rights, Cuccinelli and McDonnell, and that perhaps he, not “John”, should do most of the talking to fairgoers from that point forward. I walked away from the VCDL booth aggravated, insulted, and very disappointed. There are many good people in the VCDL who stand up for the 2nd amendment and support candidates who do as well. I post this here not to insult VCDL members, as, like the embarrassed gentleman in the booth that day, they’re mostly good folks. But, things must change, as the VCDL cannot continue to alienate people, undermine conservative candidates who have stood up for the 2nd amendment, and then expect to be taken seriously.

17. Cynic said on 8 Feb 2012 at 10:37 pm:

Perhaps the VCDL has been infiltrated by anti Second Amendment liberals.

18. The_REAL_Elvis said on 18 Feb 2012 at 6:58 pm:

the VCDL has outlived it’s usefulness, it used to be cool now all they do is spam my inbox with email