Bill Card Wins PWCGOP Chairmanship

By Greg L | 14 April 2012 | PWCRC | 9 Comments

Bill Card won the chairmanship of the Prince William County Republican Committee today by a pretty comfortable margin.  Both candidates ran excellent, upbeat races and are to be commended for their dedication to the Committee and commitment to help it succeed.  There’s no indication at all that there will be any residual animosity and every sign points to Bill Card continuing the legacy of Lyle Beefelt of being an honest and capable broker.

Lyle’s tenure as chairman is one of the rare instances where a Chairman has been consistently successful.  He finishes being as highly regarded as when he first ran, the committee has been winning elections pretty consistently, and there’s been nearly zero distractful interpersonal drama over the past four years getting in the way.  Four years ago I heralded Lyle’s election as the opportunity for a competent technocrat to demonstrate the model of what committee leadership should look like and can now point to his two terms as the perfect example of what happens when a chairman correctly narrows his focus to the mechanics of party operations, steers clear of promoting candidates in primaries, and consistently supports Republican nominees and elected officials.

Bill Card is a perfect successor here.  He’s been quietly working hard, steering clear of all drama, and is focused on the success of the party.  No better example of this was the way he handled John Stirrup’s endorsement late this past week.  While Stirrup expressed frustration with Tom Whitmore listing an endorsement from him that wasn’t actually given, Bill forwarded Stirrup’s endorsement message without that portion.  If he’s going to wisely calm the waters even when doing so might eschew an opportunity to gain some advantage, I’ve little doubt when his own skin isn’t personally on the line his actions will be careful, thoughtful, and focused on the long term.

Tom Whitmore deserves enormous credit here too, for taking his loss with grace and not being deterred at all from his dedication to the Committee.  Everyone I spoke with expressed concern that Tom remain as engaged in the future as in the past to the point one observer wondered whether an office could be established called “Party Operations Chairman For Life” for his benefit.  Although he didn’t win the Chairman’s race, there is deep and broad respect for his efforts and dedication and no one wants him to go away.

The most interesting part of this unavoidably loooonnnngg convention (three congressional districts are in the county, all electing state central members, national convention delegates and so on) was predictably Bishop E. W. Jackson’s speech.  I don’t know if he’s got a shot at winning the Republican nomination for U. S. Senate, but someday soon he’s going to win an election somewhere and utterly electrify whatever body he becomes a member of.  I hope he dispatches Harry Blevins in the Senate of Virginia if he comes up short this time.  I’ll have a video of that speech posted shortly.

1. freedom said on 14 Apr 2012 at 1:27 pm:

Absolutely agree, Greg, on every count…and in particular, the message and commitment of EW Jackson!! Although I’m afraid not particularly well known at this point, this guy is “THE REAL DEAL”!!!

2. Lovettsville Lady said on 14 Apr 2012 at 4:45 pm:

EW brings down the house whenever he’s in Loudoun! The man can preach!

3. Gerrie said on 14 Apr 2012 at 6:38 pm:

It was a looooooooog convention, but it was great because of the honorable & gentlemanly manner in which Card & Whitman comported themselves.

Bishop Jackson was electrifying.

4. Greg L said on 14 Apr 2012 at 6:51 pm:

I think you mean Card and Whitmore, but I agree entirely.

5. Gerrie said on 14 Apr 2012 at 8:41 pm:

WHOOPS! Thanks for the correction, Greg L. Correction noted.

6. Bill Card said on 15 Apr 2012 at 12:27 pm:

Greg,

Nice write-up and I echo your kudos to both Lyle and Tom. As I said on Saturday - we had a temporary split in our Party for the simple purpose of selecting a chairman. That is behind us now and we need to pull together as never before. It’s “all hands on deck” time from now through the time the polls close on Election Day.

7. Greg L said on 16 Apr 2012 at 3:17 pm:

Bill sent out the following message today:

Dear Friends,

Saturday’s Prince William County Republican Convention was an experience my family and I will long remember. I am humbled and inspired at your support. Just hanging around with that many good Republicans was an inspiration by itself. I am excited to be your new chairman and request your support with the same enthusiasm that you displayed on Saturday.

Thank you Tom Whitmore for your demeanor throughout this race. At every event and appearance you have been a gentleman. Thank you for all that you have done for us and what I hope you will continue to do. Lyle Beefelt, thank you for your leadership for the last four years. Thank you as well to the rest of the team that has brought us so far.

I can’t thank my supporters enough for your faith in me and my vision. Thank you for your time, your effort, and your support. For all of you who said for months “Why don’t you do it?” Well – we did it and now it’s time to get down to work.

We just experienced an artificial division in our Party for the simple purpose of electing a Chairman. No matter who you voted for Saturday – we have to put aside our differences and cooperate for the good of our Party and our Country. This year the stakes are infinitely higher than ever before. As I said on Saturday, all we have to lose this election is everything.

This isn’t the end and it isn’t the beginning. It is the continuation of the success that we have enjoyed over the past few election cycles. We need to gather the lessons, hitch up our belts, and go into the next contest as if it were the last. It’s all hands on deck time now and we have to respond.

I promise you that I will wake up each morning looking for a way to improve our chances in November and I ask you to do the same. It may be as simple as carrying around one of our palm cards. When someone starts complaining, hand it to them and say – “I’m doing something about it – please help us.”

There will be the temptation to go home and focus on the next meeting or the next event. Please join me in approaching each day by trying to get us one more vote, one more volunteer, or one more dollar for the cause. We must attack this election cycle with a nearly missionary zeal.

If we focus like a laser on November’s election, try new and different methods of raising money, and respond to training opportunities – we’ll all move our game to the next level.

Thank you to all of you who attended the convention and to you who were there in spirit. Thank you for your enthusiasm and your support. God Bless you all and God Bless the United States of America.

Sincerely Yours,
    Bill Card
    Chairman

8. Joe Doc said on 17 Apr 2012 at 2:02 pm:

Well done, PWC GOP.

9. Darien L Kearns said on 26 Apr 2012 at 7:26 pm:

Bill,
    Let me add my congratulations as well, you’ve demonstrated your leadership while on Active Duty in tne Marine Corps and now I’m positive you’ll bring that same enthusiasm, dedication, loyalty and leadership as Chairman of the PWCGOP. I’m also sure your vision will get us through this most important election and win GOP majorities in both houses of Congress as well as the White House. Congratulations my friend and even though I don’t live in PWC, I’ll be supporting you from Kentucky wishing you all the best! Semper Fi! Darien