video production in Manassas and Prince William County

An Endless Pestilence

By Greg L | 22 May 2012 | National Politics | 10 Comments

It’s official, now.  I utterly despise the College Republicans.

Once, several years ago, I succumbed to an urge to be charitable to this organization and gave them probably about $50.  Ever since then I get a phone call once every week asking for more money.  I am now convinced the only purpose of that organization is to endlessly harass people with telemarketing calls in order to fund further telemarketing efforts, no matter how many times you ask them to stop.  They are a plague, a pestilence, a civic disease from which there is no cure.

I may soon have to resort to cancelling my telephone service.  In one fell swoop I would eliminate a large proportion of my life’s annoyances.

1. College Republicans said on 22 May 2012 at 5:39 pm:

Dear Sir,

I am contacting you to solicit a donation to the College Republicans. We are concerned that you haven’t returned our calls and appear to hide behind the sofa when we knock on your door. we are therefore forced to contact you through your blog.

To make donating convenient, we will be sitting on the hood of your car in the morning. We accept cash, checks and credit cards.

Thank you for considering our request.

2. RickH said on 22 May 2012 at 6:23 pm:

Greg … Yeah, I know their fundraising agency. Not one I would ever recommend to anyone. They are “churning” specialists. (I.e., they acquire a lot of donors and then burn them out with incessant appeals.)

3. Just saying said on 22 May 2012 at 9:25 pm:

Greg, It could be much worse. At least they don’t have that guy from Nigeria asking you for your bank account number.

4. Wolverine said on 22 May 2012 at 9:29 pm:

The Virginia State Police have the same problem. One donation, and it never stops. Every darn day of the week!

5. Ronald said on 22 May 2012 at 9:48 pm:

I no longer have a home phone… a decision that I do not regret.

6. Joan said on 23 May 2012 at 7:14 am:

Sounds like a mistake I made some years ago. I foolishly donated to the Olympic fund. For my efforts, while I didn’t get phone calls, I did get mail - at least one mailing every week thanking me for my donation and asking for more. This went on for over three years. Looking back at it, I can now laugh and say I got a LOT for my money.

7. Jack Slimp said on 23 May 2012 at 2:26 pm:

National Do Not Call Registry:

8. RickH said on 23 May 2012 at 10:16 pm:

Jack … If you have donated to a group, they can call you even if you are on the Do Not Call registry (it’s considered a prior business relationship). Also, non-profit groups are exempt.

9. Independent Thinker said on 25 May 2012 at 11:01 am:

And RickH and Jack Slimp–

It doesn’t work anyway. Seems nobody is cracking down on anybody even with filed complaints. Internet phones make it difficult if not impossible to stop calls.

I got a great phone system from Panasonic that allows me to block calls at the house rather than the useless phone company blocks. It is great to see “call blocked” after a half a ring.

10. Wineplz said on 5 Jun 2012 at 3:25 pm:

You need to simply say, “please take me off your list”. Most likely you’ll get some song-and-dance about how it may take up to 6wks to purge your number from their databases, but legally they have to comply.