What Is Art?

By Greg L | 30 May 2012 | Manassas City | 21 Comments

Finally, the long-awaited installation of Manassas’ contribution to Virginia sculptural artistry.  Brought to you courtesy of a $1,200 state VTA grant and an undocumented quantity of effort and resources courtesy of the City of Manassas.  This magnificent ouvre is right on par with the logo for “Discover Prince William,” solidifying our community as the very hub of artistic excellence in Virginia.

Best of all, we get to enjoy this all summer.

Since I’m not an art critic, I’m sure readers who are more expert in that area can provide us with their reviews in the comments section.  I’ll especially look forward to their evaluation of the counterpoint here between raw lumber, cartoon graphics and the futura fontface.  Honestly, there’s parts of this I just don’t grasp very well, so I can use some help here.

1. Maureen said on 30 May 2012 at 7:14 pm:

Why they didn’t do something that fit into the old town atmosphere is beyond me.

2. Martha W said on 30 May 2012 at 9:10 pm:

Last I knew trains are part of the atmosphere of old town….only about a dozen come through every day.

3. anon said on 31 May 2012 at 5:21 am:

Someone pocketed about $1050.

4. Colin B. said on 31 May 2012 at 7:10 am:

“Art is no damn good unless it sells.”
    -Jesse Helms

5. Sadie said on 31 May 2012 at 9:19 am:

Does it meet the City Sign ordinance that was used against Mr. G next door?

6. Rich in Historic Interest? said on 31 May 2012 at 9:23 am:

I find it ugly, too busy and not in character with the Old Town. The City Museum Board okayed this Mr. Harrover and Mr. Thomas??????

7. Citizen12 said on 31 May 2012 at 9:29 am:

I think they did a nice job. It’s bright and cheerful. It speaks to me.

It say’s…”The O’jays are coming to town”.

So when do tickets go on sale?

8. Jack Slimp said on 31 May 2012 at 1:34 pm:

Reminds me of the 1960’s hippie movement in San Francisco — gotta have LOVE.

9. Austin said on 31 May 2012 at 3:07 pm:

I kind of like it, but I thought it was a school project or something. The mural painted on the side of my office building is much nicer.

10. Riley said on 31 May 2012 at 3:42 pm:

Hop on board the Love Train!

Welcome to 1973…

11. Jack Slimp said on 31 May 2012 at 3:57 pm:

Referencing the aforesaid 1960’s, here is a little mod art by yours truly on the chalkboard of Regional Communications Group Hq’s just before leaving Vietnam:

Fits right in, don’t you think?

12. Martha W said on 31 May 2012 at 10:30 pm:

Some people just aren’t happy with anything…gotta find something to complain about, I guess. I sure wish I was so perfect that I could sit around pointing fingers at others. So what if it looks like a school project! At least it shows community involvement in a positive way. Besides, it didn’t cost the taxpayer a penny.

Hey Jack…love it, man :-) Peace.

13. Greg L said on 1 Jun 2012 at 12:06 am:

Umm, Martha? The article pretty clearly says that this was funded with state and local taxpayer dollars.

14. John said on 1 Jun 2012 at 7:07 am:

Actually, I believe HMI paid for most of this work, actually…donated the time and parts to make it. Check out the VTC grant, a lot of that is for marketing around the sign, not building the sign. Greg, you do not seem to mind taking tax payer money (through funds given to HMI from the City coffers) to make your videos that really serve no purpose??? This whole thing is a non issue really.

Now as for if its art or not….I do not find it all that appealing, but there are other issues in our community that conservatives should be fighting….

15. John II said on 1 Jun 2012 at 10:38 am:

Like what John?

16. Greg L said on 1 Jun 2012 at 10:51 am:

So money spent by HMI is NOT taxpayer funds when it’s used to temporarily install unusual “artwork” on the grounds of the Manassas Museum, but it IS taxpayer money when it’s used to produce marketing materials that can be leveraged for years. Yeah, I get it. Justification here is simply situational.

If taxpayer money is well spent by our elected officials as good stewards of our tax dollars, and provides results, I’m for it. When public resources are wasted, I call foul. I have yet to find a threshold where a waste isn’t worth discussion.

17. John III said on 1 Jun 2012 at 3:48 pm:

HMI gets “a lot” of money from the city coffers. Well over $400,000 I think it says in the city budget documents which is taxpayer money as Greg point out. They do run the festivals for the city like the train one this weekend for that money but they do seem well paid.

18. Wolverine said on 1 Jun 2012 at 6:43 pm:

Actually, Greg, you may have lucked out. In some places I know, you could have gotten a Madonna smeared with human feces or a Crucifix in a jar of pee. You, on the other hand, get the trains — which happen to be a good draw for rail fans in this area and a nice plus for PWC.

19. Andy VM said on 3 Jun 2012 at 7:32 am:

Another successful event in the city yesterday. Greg, do you do anything good or worth while other than complain and critique others. Why don’t you run for council and show us how it is done? We have room.

20. Artiste said on 4 Jun 2012 at 11:21 am:

At least neither the “O” nor the “V” have been made into a heart. And as Wolverine says, there is no poo or pee here. I think it’s cute. Is it $1,200 cute? Probably not. Is it art? I don’t know. We could get into a whole philosophical discussion of what art is. Or is not.

However, I do not look at this and think anything related to Manassas. I associate “trains” with a lot of places. And “love?” Harumpph! Wuzzup with that? I mean “love” is a nice concept, but that’s not really unique to any one place.

This makes me think more of the “Love Train” song, as someone above pointed out.

21. Jack said on 8 Jun 2012 at 1:01 pm:

That’s liberalism for you — do a TRAIN and call it LOVE.