Chief Deane Calls It Quits

By Greg L | 1 August 2012 | Prince William County | 105 Comments

Finally, Chief Deane is stepping down from the Prince William County Police Department, effective September 1st.

While no doubt elected officials and the press will fall all over themselves to memorialize Deane, I will always remember him as the one who did everything he could to prevent illegal aliens from being identified and deported, through his secret meetings with foreign leaders, from his secret policy of not asking suspected illegal aliens about their immigration status all the way to his secret re-tasking of the Criminal Alien Unit to work on street crimes almost immediately after it was established.

Let’s hope his replacement is more interested in doing his job than avoiding controversy.

UPDATE: Virtucon weighs in, hoping a nationwide search gives us a replacement actually interested in enforcing the law.

1. Riley said on 1 Aug 2012 at 1:12 pm:

PWC better engage in a nationwide search for a Police Chief capable of leading a force charged with protecting VA’s 2nd largest county and one of the nation’s 10 wealthiest. We need a chief who subscribes to the Giuliani way. Someone who adheres to the “broken windows” theory of law enforcement.

2. Cynic said on 1 Aug 2012 at 3:10 pm:

If I were one who made bets - would bet that PWC will end of with someone the same as or at least very similar to your current Chief.

3. Anonymous said on 1 Aug 2012 at 3:41 pm:

This is the best news I have heard today.

4. Former Officer said on 1 Aug 2012 at 5:21 pm:

I’d venture to say Charlie Deane was more respected and a better man than any of you here that’s being critical. He is a man of principles and didn’t bend to undue pressure. I may not have always agreed with his decisions but I always knew when he spoke he did so with compassion and true understanding of legal complex issues. He was very popular within his own agency and recognized around the country in the LE community as a true leader. Good luck Charlie.

5. Anonymous said on 1 Aug 2012 at 6:00 pm:

Ya right! Thumbs down.

6. Good Time Charlie said on 1 Aug 2012 at 6:10 pm:

Very popular in his own agency. Really? Besides Kim Chinn and the appointees to the Chief’s Office, I challenge that statement. Most everyone I worked with in the P.W.C. Police Department couldn’t wait for him to retire. The Charlie Deane I remember was responsible for continued cuts to pay increases for department members, and terrible treatment of officers during citizen complaints and investigations. It wasn’t until teachers in Prince William County received popular support from the general public that Charlie Deane made a public statement his department deserved pay raises as well. Hopefully the next Chief of Police in Prince William County will be an outside hire. Charlie Deane has created a chain-of-command which understands policing by headlines. Having a leader in this position who believes in serious narcotics enforcement, proactive street policing, and preaching to the rank and file about not ignoring ordinances because they might offend citizen groups in the county, and draw negative attention from the media.

7. Maureen said on 1 Aug 2012 at 6:44 pm:

I want to thank Chief Deane for finally stepping down.

8. Rob said on 1 Aug 2012 at 8:28 pm:

I’ll drink to that, Maureen.

9. Anonymous said on 1 Aug 2012 at 10:10 pm:

King Deane isn’t stepping down, he’s leaving the throne. He did want he wanted and didn’t do what he didn’t want to do.

It’s good to see him go!

10. NoVA Scout said on 2 Aug 2012 at 5:46 am:

An intelligent, decent, competent honest, forthright man is an infuriatingly unbearable provocation to a mindless, heedless mob. By his decency, he reminds them of their base instincts. By his intelligence, he reminds them of their ignorance. By his competence, he reminds them of their failures to accomplish anything. By his forthrightness, he reminds them of their tendency to skulk and snipe from the shadows. People like Deane are simply unacceptable to those who, while unwilling to admit it overtly recognize in some instinctive recess of their underused brains, the moral superiority of a good man.

11. Anonymous said on 2 Aug 2012 at 5:55 am:

Oh no, NoVa’s off his meds again!

12. Cynic said on 2 Aug 2012 at 8:45 am:

“infuriatingly ….. mob.”

Obviously, when you say “mob”, you must be referring to those times the Chief dealt so successfully with the issues related to illegals.

13. Doug Brown said on 2 Aug 2012 at 9:42 am:

NoVa Scout,

For many people in this area Chief Deane failed to adequately respond to the issue of illegal aliens within our community. He joins the vast majority of leaders within our country at the federal, state, and local level who failed on the issue. While some may not be as eloquent in criticizing Chief Deane as you are in defending him, why tar and feather his critics on this issue as a “mindless, heedless mob”? If you haven’t experienced or seen firsthand the suffering and pain inflicted on this community by this issue, then ‘mindless’ and ‘heedless’ are hardly something you should toss out at others in the community and your paean to Deane is less eloquence than it is sophistry

14. Anonymous said on 2 Aug 2012 at 9:49 am:

We need a police Chief that is will rid this county of gangs and illegal aliens. I would like to be able to feel safe walking around my neighborhood.

15. Citizen-Veteran said on 2 Aug 2012 at 10:54 am:

Chief Charlie Dean? Supervisor Corey Stewart should have demanded his resignation years ago. Now Prince William County can move forward again - after 1 September.

We should ask Sheriff Joe Arpaio for his recommendation for candidates to replace the failed Chief Deane.

No more ignoring the criminal gangs, the swarms of illegals at the 7-11s, the repeated domestic disturbances in illegal alien neighborhoods and apartment complexes. No more ignoring illegal aliens who create trouble in our public schools. No more ignoring MS-13 and their recruiting under our collective noses. No more ignoring illegal aliens who traffic drugs and smuggle in more illegal aliens.

We need a police chief who will step up to the “Rule of Law” and embrace it as a key component to protecting US citizens and businesses in Prince William County. Everyone else is a guest who must obey ALL laws, including immigration law, or get deported. No exceptions.

American taxpayers are tired and disgusted with the refusal of Deane and his supporters to enforce the law.

We need to see police cars and police vans filled with illegal aliens picked up off the streets and headed to jail, pending deportation. This would send Deane and the leftists into screaming lunacy. Good!

16. Vigilant1 said on 2 Aug 2012 at 12:19 pm:

Should have been 25 years sooner!

17. Former Officer said on 2 Aug 2012 at 4:55 pm:

Good Time Charlie. Based on what I’m seeing and hearing with those still working and retirees I would venture to say you are way off base regarding saying most everyone wanted him to retire. Like I already said. I didn’t agree with all of his decisions but I still deeply respected the man as did most everyone at the agency. Those who didn’t usually had some ax to grind for not getting promoted, being disciplined or some other BS reason. What was yours?

18. Publius said on 2 Aug 2012 at 8:24 pm:

I went to a meeting of Help Save Manassas some years ago, where Chief Deane patiently tried to explain to one speaker after another that he did not have the legal ability to arrest someone for being an illegal alien, if they were not also breaking laws of the commonwealth that would normally trigger arrest. He fully outlined the legalities in a simple statement, and yet at least half a dozen citizens then got in line to ask, ‘but if they’re here illegally, they’re breaking the law, arrest them!’ And to this less than welcoming crowd, he showed composure and class as he repeated himself for those who simply weren’t listening. I’d never seen the guy before, but I thought he defended his departments and his own actions with integrity. So now he’s old and he’s retiring. I think he’ll be able to handle these last slings and arrows from this quarter.

19. Doug Brown said on 3 Aug 2012 at 9:23 am:

Former Officer and Publius,

On the issue of illegal aliens in our community Chief Deane did not show exemplary leadership skills, he was bureaucratic and cautious. Few public leaders did stand up, most were afraid of lawsuits and the negative publicity that would surround them.

You’ll understand that for the people who were directly harmed by the onslaught of illegal aliens into the area Chief Deane’s “integrity” on this issue has the ring of a busy signal after dialing 911.

One issue may not define a career, and I did hear many positive reviews of Chief Deane from professionals in the field over the years, but this one issue, illegal aliens, was the single, most prominent issue which impacted the quality of life for citizens of the region during his years in office.

As I alluded to before, it was and has been a collective failure of leadership on all levels of government to deal with the issue, it may be unfair to signal him out for criticism on the issue but it seems surreal to signal him out for praise on the issue, especially when the image many people have is a chief with feet up on the desk, cap pulled down over his eyes, phone ringing unanswered.

20. Tyler Durden said on 3 Aug 2012 at 10:13 am:

Well said, Doug.

Nova Scout’s pablum again reminds me of warm cat puke.

21. Maureen said on 4 Aug 2012 at 10:18 am:

Publius-

Those people at HSM were frustrated with inaction by anyone on this issue. I know I appreciated him coming to speak.

Did you go to the meeting he spoke at in woodbridge? When he was badgered by the “other” side? Deane kept telling them illegals had nothing to fear unless they broke a law. Well nancy lyall and her friends had been telling the illegal immigrant community that would be arrested for having brown skin so these people believed that. They wanted Chief Deane to tell them the same thing, which he wouldn’t as it wasn’t true.

Deane was a huge hindrance to the rule of law resolution and that I will never forgive. He may have been a good chief in other aspects of his duties but I have heard otherwise.

However I wish the man well in his retirement.

22. Former Officer said on 4 Aug 2012 at 6:53 pm:

Maureen: ” He may have been a good chief in other aspects of his duties but I have heard otherwise.”

Well you heard wrong Maureen. I’ve known the man for well over three decades and worked with him the entire time. PWC was fortunate to have him as a chief and the VAST majority of us that worked with and for him would do it all over again given the chance.

23. Also Knows said on 5 Aug 2012 at 12:43 am:

Former Officer - Do a quick calculation and figure out how many officers stayed with the Deane run department until retirement. He was there as Chief or Deputy Chief for long enough for nearly two generations of officers to come through. Yet only a handful a year retired, having lasted 25 years. People did not stay to work for him and the leaders he chose for his chain of command. He put forward a good face, but that was for the public.

24. Former Officer said on 5 Aug 2012 at 4:19 am:

Also knows. WTH do you get you information? You couldn’t be more wrong if you tried. That’s fine if you don’t like Deane or what he stood for but there is no need for you to come on here and spread lies about the man or the agency.

25. Anonymous said on 5 Aug 2012 at 3:04 pm:

Let’s hope Deane will take his sock puppet Sheriff Glendell ” I have nothing to hide” Hill with him.

26. Anonymous said on 7 Aug 2012 at 10:12 am:

Former Officer: How can you say that is far from the truth when there was a report published 2 years ago that said the average police officer stays in PWC for 3 years. I have known people that went through the Academy that said they were told that. The academy drop out rate was staggering although I am not sure what it is now.
    Accusing Also Knows of spreading lies is ironic. Just because you personally liked the guy doesn’t make him the saint you portray him to be. It’s like every place of employment there are those that like him and those that don’t. The ones that don’t aren’t wrong because they don’t. If they speak from experience they can’t be wrong just like you want your experience to be the right one about the man.

In the end it’s a good thing for him to be gone. They need new outside blood to run the department. That will be the true test in the end of what legacy Deane will leave behind. It’s like a 3rd party audit. An outsider will be the auditor.

27. Also Knows said on 7 Aug 2012 at 10:39 pm:

Former Officer: I don’t lie. I could have said worse, based on experience. I chose to use discretion. He’s leaving, that’s enough.

28. Former Officer said on 8 Aug 2012 at 5:54 pm:

Also knows. I was there 30 years. How about you? I’d like to know if you were there and for how long? Did you retire? Quit? Resign?

29. Also Knows said on 8 Aug 2012 at 8:44 pm:

Former Officer: You are entitled to your opinion. Calm down. It’s cute how passionate you get defending your former boss, but you’re missing the point. Re-read what I wrote, it’s straighforward and factual. Deane’s department is a mill that churns through officers…when 300 officers leave in a 5 year period (and that’s in the 2000s), that’s indicative of something wrong. Especially when it costs over $100,000 to train and equip each officer. It can’t all be explained by salaries being higher elsewhere, those officers got into law enforcement knowing it was public service. They joined for a reason. They left for a reason. And despite what you’d insinuate, Deane did not fire or force out that many officers - now that would be a scandal. They left for a reason. I think they may have left because of the department and its leadership, because I know at least some number of them left for other law enforcement jobs. A new, outside Chief, with new ideas, and willing to take a fresh look at the department can only benefit the PWCPD. An insider, when the department has only had TWO chiefs in its 42 year existence, is not what the department needs.

30. Also Knows said on 8 Aug 2012 at 9:24 pm:

So far, from what I have read in the press and comments, Chief Deane has been praised for:

1) Longevity - He stayed 17 years past the 25 year retirement mark (42 years!!). Is that really so great? He was being paid extremely well to run a rural department with 10-15 murders a year - not too tough, but lucrative. Perhaps the Feds have a mandatory retirment age of 57 for a reason. retirments are set at 20 and 25 years for a reason…time to move along old timer. If he believed in the department and the command staff so much, why couldn;t he bring himself to leave?

2) He “kept his cool” during the sniper crises - Well, I guess he can be given credit for not crying like Chief Moose, but it seems kind of trivial.

3) He showed up at crimes scenes - Umm, not sure what to say about that. I guess he can get credit for that, though seems kind of silly. Isn’t it his job?

4) He believed in integrity and honesty - Well done, Chief. You recognize the importance of telling the truth. But getting credit for that makes me wonder if his truth is somehow extraordinary, in comparison to all the other chiefs in the region and nation. Maybe he gets credit for a special kind of integrity. Actually, I would agree that, maybe he believes in a special kind of integrity - that seems right.

6) He changed with the times - Well, yeah, I guess he did. But he was there for 4 decades, I would hope so. I wonder if change over the course of 42 years seems gradual? Maybe that makes it easier to deal with? Should he still get credit?

7) He brought his prior investigative experience to the job - I’d like to hear of one case his investigative expertise helped solve while he was Chief.

8) During his career he saw his share of high profile cases - well, yeah. Lot of things happen in 42 years. (see Item #1)

I think the bottom line is he was an officer for a really, really, really long time. He was a Chief for a really, really long time. I guess an article can be appropriate just by virtue of that. But to try to make him out to be some ground breaking, amazing Chief that added anything at all to law enforcement, besides encouraging Chiefs around the country to stay in place for years past retirement, would be hard to defend.

31. Former Officer said on 9 Aug 2012 at 6:55 pm:

Also Knows: So basically what you are saying is you’re an outsider with no real knowledge of how the department was run under Deane. Got it.

32. Also Knows said on 9 Aug 2012 at 7:36 pm:

Former Officer: You are wrong, but since you seem intent on ignoring my points, you’re getting boring, so I will let my posts stand on their own. Feel free to retort. You seem to take issue with them, but don’t have anything to say other than he was a fine boss. I beg to differ. If you can point to something he added to law enforcement, other than his longevity and the fact that some of those relatively few who retired under him, like you, seem to admire him, go ahead.

33. Anonymous said on 10 Aug 2012 at 5:13 pm:

Also Knows, not sure if you have been on here for a while but from what I can see there are a few of the cronies that pop on here to make sure Deane appears perfect and god-like. The only thing I can think is maybe they are keeping each others backs covered….

There are plenty of those who know the truth not matter what they try to spin. I for one am very happy at the prospect that the county I raise my kids in will be a safer place as soon as they hire the next chief.

34. Also Knows said on 10 Aug 2012 at 5:52 pm:

Anon - yeah, I noticed. I’m new to this bloggin but it’s pretty clear his minions want to make everything personal, instead of paying attention or even acknowledging other points of view. I will add that the only reason I posted anything at all is because its pretty clear the PD/County went into all out PR mode announcing Deane’s retirement (I particularly liked the set of photos released - silly). Pulling quotes from colleagues (other chiefs) and BOCS/execs that were his bosses is pretty mundane stuff. There is another side and point of view - and it’s not just me, many other officers felt the same way. My experiences with the department and Deane did not reflect the measure of integrity and honesty that apparently he is the only chief in the country to ever possess (according to his fans). Deane was a chief after Miranda, and the advent of modern policing was already well under way by the time he took over. How he gets credit for watching the county and department grow is beyond me.

The most interesting part of this is the fact that he stayed so far past retirement. In effect he demonstrated no faith in his commanders, or even any other possible replacement, in staying so long - only he could run that department. Which makes me wonder why now? If 17 years past retirement is good enough, why not 18 or 20. Turning the dept over to Barnard is a placeholder, there is now way he can expect to keep it - though I am sure Deane wants that because he would probably still be running the department from the sidelines. An outsider is needed. Two chiefs in 42 years is not normal and certainly not healthy for an organization. New blood. Peacor won’t like it because she is pals with all the internal candidates, but its the right thing to do.

35. Former Officer said on 12 Aug 2012 at 5:45 pm:

Also knows. It’s pretty obvious you are a former PWCPD member who apparently left for whatever reason. I’d love to know who you are so I can tell others here why you left? Was it for disciplinary reasons? Maybe upset because you couldn’t get promoted? Maybe caught lying and Deane let you go? Guess we’ll never know as you won’t have the guts to say who you are. But again, you are way off on your assessment of Chief Deane.

36. Also Knows said on 12 Aug 2012 at 6:06 pm:

Former Officer: As I previously noted, you care only to make personal attacks to straighforward observations. I encouraged you to answer any of my points. You chose not to. That exposes the weakness of your case to make Deane out to be a something he is not. I will make it easy for you - name just one accomplishment where he advanced police work, as it is claimed. Or one case where his investigative prowess helped solve a case - an don;t say the sniper case because that wasn’t PWCPD. Like I said previously, you are wrong in your assessment of who I am and why I left. I left because the department is not what it is held out to be in terms of integrity and honesty. I do not lie, nor was I fired or encouraged to leave. Like many many other officers, I left because of how the department was led. I am not alone in my assessment of Deane and his department. You need to just accept that and move on. Deane is leaving for whatever reason, you can go fish with him and tell him how you stuck up for him. I am sure he will appreciate it. I have no further interest in dealing with you. I imagine a little spittle coming out of the corner of your mouth as you write here, and it is a little sad. I will save you the aggravation. Take care.

37. Anonymous said on 12 Aug 2012 at 6:30 pm:

And for those of you not familiar with Deane’s department, I find it very unlikely that the Former Officer would not be trying to personally attack Also Knows without Deane’s okay. class act for sure. Build a statue, or name a building after him.

38. Former Officer said on 13 Aug 2012 at 5:14 pm:

You would be wrong Anon. I haven’t talked to Deane in months.

39. Anonymous said on 13 Aug 2012 at 6:28 pm:

Good example of Deane’s oh so forward thinking policework in today’s Inside Nova. There is an article about a serial burglar (in Montclair) who was caught (by another jurisdiction) for burglaries in PWC, then sentenced to time served (months). Surprise surprise he gets out and goes right back to his serial burglar ways in PWC (not too scared of PWCPD, after all they didn’t catch him the first several times). Now that he’s caught the second time (after one of his victims grabbed the bad guys wallet as he escaped) Deane “hopes to talk” to the VA sentencing commission about the burglars short sentence. Hopefully in the meantime, he will also “talk to” his burglary unit, who has cleared many cases and had their solved crime rate go up markedly because of the hard work of other jurisdictions and a PWC victim.

40. Anonymous said on 14 Aug 2012 at 12:58 am:

The issue with the department, and why they need an outsider at Chief, is that it has what is called a “discretionary promotion” system. That means that eligible officers are promoted at the discretion of the Chief. A civil service type system would promote from a ranked list of eligible officers, with the officers ranked highest promoted first. The PWCPD creates an “eligibility list” of 20 officers for the ranks of Sgt through Lt and the Chief can choose who he wants from anywhere on the list. Officers below 20 are then moved up until the eligibility list is again at 20. That means officers ranked 20th can be promoted, and officers ranked first don’t necessarily have to be. It also means by the end of the two year eligibility list, a guy ranked 30th can eventually be moved up to the 1-20 list and then be promoted. Officers ranked Captain and above are solely at the Chief’s discretion.

The argument for the discretionary system is that some officers may “test” well, but not be “leadership” material. In reality, the testing system is comprised of both a written test and “practical” exams that are judged by ranking officers from outside the department. Therefore, unbiased proctors review the candidates and create the list. Given that system, it makes sense to choose from the list in ranked order. The reason it is not done is because the discretionary system gives the Chief all the power, and every single one of the officers promoted are then indebted to him for their promotions. Within the department, the promotions are then seen as based on favortism and not merit.

Think about what it means for a department that has had the same Chief for over twenty years. The whole department above the rank of officer is BEHOLDEN to him for their entire careers. Who will question or challenge him in such circumstances? The power that gives the Chief must have been intoxicating. And no one wanted to question him in any way knowing he held their career in his hands - not merit. Cronyism is dangerous to any organization. It is especially dangerous to a paramilitary organization based on rank. The Chief owned that department. Even after retirement, the entire command structure will owe him. An insider promoted to the Chief will mean Deane remains the ghost in the machine, offering his advice from his fishing boat. I don’t see how the BOCS could want that scenario.

An outsider is needed to review what has been built up by two men in 42 years. Some housecleaning is definately in order.

41. anon said on 14 Aug 2012 at 1:57 am:

There’s a story Greg.

42. Anonymous said on 14 Aug 2012 at 8:42 am:

What are the odds of anything scandalous about the department getting out to the public with that kind of system and power concentrated at the top?

43. Anonymous said on 14 Aug 2012 at 11:55 am:

Anonymous,

Excellent summary of the dangers of a personnel system guided by favoritism rather than merit. Such a system also works against those who do get promoted based on accomplishment and merit because it calls into question their credentials.

44. Anonymous said on 14 Aug 2012 at 1:01 pm:

Good point. The PWCPD has some outstanding supervisors, and some that just do not make sense, either because of their lack of leadership skills or the fact they had not accomplished anything in their careers, but were promoted because they were a favorite. The system paints them all, to a certain extent, with the same brush of cronyism. Which isn’t fair, but that’s the result. A merit based system would allow supervisors to fall or rise on something other than one man’s whim. That can’t be a bad thing.

45. Anonymous said on 14 Aug 2012 at 1:15 pm:

Another of Deane’s greatest hits, related to the promotion issue. Several years ago he implemented education requirements in order for officers to get promoted to certain ranks. Of course he did that after he obtained his MPA at GMU, but whatever. The policy was in place for a few years, during which time some supvs got disciplined and demoted for getting their education, but not from “approved” institutions. Then when Deane wanted to promote a guy who absolutely deserved to be, but he didn’t have the education requirements, Deane eliminated the requirements. There was some real bitterness about that flip flop among those who had spent time and money to meet the requirements.

Don’t get me wrong, having an education is not a bad thing. But some of the best cops I have known had a high school degree, and they weren’t handicapped by not having college. Demanding graduate degrees for senior staff is elitist and not necessary. The point being, when your the boss of bosses, you can make the rules up as you go along.

46. Anonymous said on 14 Aug 2012 at 2:07 pm:

Deane greatest hit - horse team. The creation of this PR unit has to be one of his most amusing follies. The sight of Chinn running after her horse at Jiffy Lube during a concert, or the youtube videos where she proudly announces the single law enforcement action they’ve taken in their entire history notwithstanding.

47. Anonymous said on 14 Aug 2012 at 4:43 pm:

Deane GH #3 : Boat Unit . How they convinced the feds to give them a grant for a boat must have been interesting, given that the PWCPD has no authority over the Potomac and is reduced to issuing “wake warnings” and towing boats all summer long. When the boat was used recently on the Occoquan for a suicide, it was the Fairfax County PD and their technology that located the body. Like the horses, it looks good in pics, but adds nothing at all to PD law enforcement capabilities.

48. anonymous said on 15 Aug 2012 at 8:53 am:

He certainly was selective in which liars he fired. But again, that was his prerogative as boss.

49. Anonymous said on 15 Aug 2012 at 1:17 pm:

I like the fancy command truck he bought. Little rolling palace for senior staff who would pile in at scenes and turn the TV on. They would appoint the driver to guard the door so officers couldn’t use the toilet. Petty but typical.

Actually another TV related hit. Most supervisors (sgts too!) have cable in their offices so they can watch TV - and yes they do have those things on all-the-time. The official excuse is that they can then be aware of breaking news. Because it is just that important that they know the latest on Syria, the the Golf channel or daytime soaps…

50. Anonymous said on 15 Aug 2012 at 1:39 pm:

The posts of Former Officer are indicative of the type culture that I found at PWCPD:

“Management by initimidation is not healthy, either for its victims or and organization. To be more specific, bosses who are mean to subordinates…are actually causing measurable injury to both their individual victims and to the institutions in which their victims work.” (Glendinning, 2001)

Specific consequences include high turnover, which the department traditionally has had, especially among the officers at 1-10 years into their career.

Glendenning goes on to write “the management style of the bullying boss discourages dissent, openness, innovation, change, and risk-taking. It fosters a climate of covering oneself, carefulness, guardedness, and fear, in which DOING WHAT IS KNOWN TO BE ACCEPTED BY THE LEADER AND OBEDIENCE TO THE LEADER ARE THE ONLY WAY TO EARN REWARDS.”

I watched Sgts too afraid to make a decision about a noise complaint have to call their Lt in order to ask them what to do - mind boggling, but that is the result of the culture there.

I loved working at the PWCPD, it is full of dedicated officers who want to what is best. But I have also seen too many leave, or actually say they are biding their time to get out, because they realize they won’t be able to make a career there.

New boss. Fresh outlook. Original ideas. Better department.

51. Anon said on 15 Aug 2012 at 5:05 pm:

Well you pretty much explained why a culture built on cronyism doesn’t work. You forgot to add that a new chief is not all that’s required. It must be an outsider. Otherwise he will be viewed as Deane II no matter what. Witness Barnard’s inability to tell the press what he will offer as interim Chief, other than show up to work.

52. Anonymous said on 15 Aug 2012 at 10:31 pm:

Morale, such as it is now, will go in the toilet if an insider gets picked. Will be an exodus over following few years, by officers and those supervisors in losing factions.

53. Anonymous said on 16 Aug 2012 at 5:22 pm:

And then the CA’s office, who Deane kowtows too, gets rebuked by the Court of Appeals today for not turning over material that could have helped the defense in the Justin Wolfe case. The Wolfe case exposed a multimillion dollar drug ring the PWCPD knew absolutely nothing about prior to murder. Wolfe is going to go free because their key witness is no longer credible, and he is the only thing supporting the murder conviction. Disaster.

54. Anonymous said on 17 Aug 2012 at 11:23 am:

At his retirement, the County should just give Deane a “Chief-for-Life” badge, because whoever is picked to replace him will have to contend with an entire command staff handpicked by Deane. If an outsider is chosen, many of that command staff will immediately switch loyalties to the new Chief, with a renewed hope for real opportunities and change in a new regime. But I suspect enough of the staff, especially of the senior level, will continue to seek the counsel of Chief-for-Life Deane to make the new outside Chief’s job a challenge. Picking an outside Chief is still the right thing to do.

If a crony is picked, he should be given the title of Under-Chief, to acknowledge the reality of the situation.

55. Anonymous said on 17 Aug 2012 at 12:44 pm:

IT’S GOOD TO BE THE CHIEF!

56. Anonymous said on 17 Aug 2012 at 3:11 pm:

IOnly 2 weeks to go… until Chief-for-Life Deane steps behind the curtain, in order to run the department from his fishing boat. Countdown to no change whatsoever.

57. anony said on 18 Aug 2012 at 5:43 pm:

Constant turnover in the ranks kept personnel costs down within the department, that way Deane could show what a good boy he was to Gerhardt and Peacor at the end of the year with leftover money he could contribute to carryover funds. If you run a department that loses 300 officers in 5 years, you are NOT doing a good job as a leader - period. $100,000 x 300 = $30 million of waste in 5 years, that could have gone toward cameras in cars, more officers to alleviate staffing shortages, more rifles for officer safety.

Having mostly new (and junior 1-5 years on) officers also maintains the top-down, micromanaging style culture of the department. When you have squad Lts on the radio constantly putting in their two cents, or panicking because of multiple accidents in the rain, the new officers learn pretty quickly to keep their heads down and wait for instruction. The much fewer more experienced officers just shake their heads and tell themselves “its just a job” and “I gotta get out of here ASAP”. Not very efficient use of professionals trained in your own academy.

And the community is not as well served when a patrol squad of 20 has maybe 3 officers with over 10 years in service. And most with less than 5.

The prevalence of junior officers also results in training officers and academy instructors with fewer years on than is necessary to teach based on experience.

58. sad really said on 18 Aug 2012 at 6:26 pm:

EE The real story of Deane’s tenure will be obscured by fawning press and minions who slam the heretics who try to reveal what he was all about. He has to live with himself though. If he has a fraction of thintegrity attributed to him , he knows what really happened. He’ll have to live with himself. Retirement won’t be enjoyable.

59. Anonymous said on 19 Aug 2012 at 4:45 pm:

Deane Hit#whatever - Nissan/Jiffy Lube “security”. This program, whereby the Pavilion is required to hire PWCPD officers has developed into a lucrative supplemental for favored commanders with Deane…used to be a Lt headed up the summer program, making around $35k per year extra for supervising cops who were actually being paid by the Pavilion as its employees. But the dept required several supvs to monitor the troops, and they all got a premium over the regular ofcs hourly rate, even though the commanders getting paid the most stayed cool in the trailer. The dept had an altercation with a really drunk rich kid from down south and his rich lawyer daddy threatened to sue the dept, so PWCPD folded like cheap suit and fired the ofc for doing his job in the same way it had been done for years there - and then changed the policy for dealing with patrons and put a Captain out there to monitor the Lt - once again demonstrating the top down micromanaging that is typical of the dept, and its unwillingness to stand up for ofcs considered expendable. Lord knows how much the Captain makes to stand around out there, but its got to be a very plum post/reward from Deane.

60. Anonymous said on 20 Aug 2012 at 9:44 am:

Hey, where oh where is Former Officer? Ironic how as time has gone on more and more of the fellow officers and others have given a fantastic summary of things that Former Officer is gone. Perhaps he is Deane’s boat captain on his fishing trip?

61. Anonymous said on 20 Aug 2012 at 3:53 pm:

They can’t defend him on his actual record of accomplishments. Because really he was just there. But I do look forward to seeing the painting they do of him when they name the Central District Station after him in a few years. His speech will include the line, “But I never really left…”, because, as Chief-for-Life, he hadn’t.

62. Anonymous said on 21 Aug 2012 at 12:29 pm:

I won’t forget the time I called the PWPD to enforce continious speeding on my street (25mph speed limit) a few years ago. An officer met me and as we were talking on the sidewalk, a car roared past at a high rate of speed (well over the 25mph limit.) The officer said “I see what you mean” (about the speeding). He stated that the only way he could ticket the offenders was to get “approval from his supervisor. He said it would be his A$$ if he wrote citations on his own. The officer said that the PD had the perception, that they thought, the public thought, too many citations were being witten and thus the requirement for a supervisor to approve the traffic enforcement. I wrote a letter to the Chief asking him to confirm the officer’s statement re needing a supervisor’s approval before any traffic enforcement could take place. A short time later I received a call from the Chief in answer to my letter and I was assured “that traffic enforcement was still taking place” (he never directly answered my question re the officer’s statement that he needed supervisor approval first.) He then asked for the officer’s name which I did not provide for obvious reasons. Although this was not a “big deal” as law enforcement goes, you begin to wonder what goes on with other PD matters.

63. anony said on 21 Aug 2012 at 12:49 pm:

Your observations confirm what others have posted about the PDs top down micromanagement consistent with a crony based command structure intent on pleasing the Chief, rather than letting officers do their job and use discretion . It drives officers away, and results in lesser service.

64. Joe dirt said on 21 Aug 2012 at 1:35 pm:

The Jiffy lube incident is being told wrong. The drunks that were ejected and sued have a long history of suing the poice for thier actions ( use the google button) The officers were on the line for the decisions to arrest and to use force. Once was re assigned and then left the county completely one was disciplined and the supervisor who did not investigate the use of force is now writing parking tickets.

65. Anonymous said on 21 Aug 2012 at 6:24 pm:

I had a Training Officer there who taught me “there are no red lights after midnight” and to occasionally throw away marijuana when waiting for me to write a summons didn’t suit him. He was well respected veteran officer, so what did I know? Chief must have liked him too because he got promoted up, even doing time in IA. Seems about right…

66. anony said on 21 Aug 2012 at 7:42 pm:

How does he get credit for firing a rapist? The Post article listed that as a major achievement! Way to take a stand, Charlie

67. Anonymous said on 22 Aug 2012 at 12:55 am:

Deane Greatest Hit - Glover investigation - The community was rocked by the “disapperance” and subsequent arrest of the mother of young girl who was found in a creek. Deane gets credit in the Post for investigating mis-steps by his department, a department he had been in charge of for over 20 years by that point. Logic would seem to dictate that he take some good measure of responsibility for the mishandling of the PD’s encounters with Glovers prior to the murder, and creating the environment in the department that allowed the warning signs that could have saved the girl, to be ignored.

What’s worse is he also gets credit for the successful investigation that resulted in a conviction - perhaps because of his “investigative” prowess. That’s just plain wrong.

That case was solved despite the interference of his hand picked command staff. Detectives were ignored and diverted from following a logical investigative plan by CID commanders. Those commanders, alomost certainly with Deane’s approval, called in retired detectives to oversee the investigation, demonstrating a total lack of faith in detectives who eventually solved the case, despite the interference, and destruction of morale. It’s ridiculous that Deane gets credit for anything related to that case. He didn’t even trust his own detectives to solve that case.

68. Jay said on 22 Aug 2012 at 11:02 am:

I worked for Chief Deane for over ten years.

He was very well respected and will be missed!!

There are MANY outright LIES here. Officers needing permission to write tickets!! Are you serious?? Please stop posting lies. Opinions are one thing, but straight lies are another.

It appears a bunch of the other negative comments are from people who were probably fired from or didn’t make it on the Department. Sour apples I guess.

69. Anonymous said on 22 Aug 2012 at 11:51 am:

THAT WAS NO LIE. THAT EVENT HAPPENED JUST AS I STATED!

70. Anonymous said on 22 Aug 2012 at 12:31 pm:

Jay - Like Former Officer, you make general statements about lies and sour apples from people that didn’t make it on department. Be specific. If you can rebut something do it. But it is not an effective argument to just state such things. And to dismiss the authors as sour apples, does not negate their examples. Claiming sour apples doesn’t make it so, it just demonstrates the lack of counter-argument.

71. Anonymous said on 22 Aug 2012 at 7:35 pm:

Here is a perfect example of the lack of integrity and honesty within the department . There was an IA investigation where a detective brought forward a scurrilous complaint on behalf of his girlfriend (in other words, a third parrty complaint), all of which were proven false.

During the investigation IA determined that the detective had “inflated” witness remarks to bolster his unfounded allegations, “may have told” witnesses about confidential IA matters, a state investigator and the detective made directly contradictory statements about the truth of the matter, and a witness apparently was told by the detective something that was not true, but IA excused it as a “miscommunication”. And those are quotes from the IA report. That detective who brought forward all the baseless allegations continues to work on the department offering sworn testimony in other cases. And all of this is known by the chain of command all the way up to Chief. Good job Chief - integrity and honesty.

72. Anonymous said on 22 Aug 2012 at 10:00 pm:

I watched a Lt. lie right to a District Commander’s face - I contradicted him in front of the same District Commander. District Commander chose to do nothing. Integrity and honesty.

73. Anonymous said on 23 Aug 2012 at 6:30 am:

Deane believed in the safety of his own county so much he lives in a gated community…. that’s hilarious

74. Anonymous said on 23 Aug 2012 at 2:14 pm:

Here’s another example of the results that come from Deane’s integrity and honesty based department: I resigned of my own free will, not under investigation, not anticipating an investigation etc. - I resigned because I had witnessed first-hand the integrity issues within the command structure of the department and could not, in good conscious, continue to work there - and I let it be known. Several months later I reviewed my personnel folder and found they had listed me as “resigned- not in good standing” - which I believe was obviously a vindictive and dishonest payback for my outspokenness. It was brought to the attention of the county attorney, and Deane had to change it back immediately to “Resigned-in Good Standing” . It is how they deal with heretics apparently -casually besmirching a former officers reputation because he pointed out that not all Deane’s commanders and officers were filled with integrity as is so often trumpeted to the public and press - you witness it here in this blog. The department is full of good officers and commanders, but there are others that thought of Deane above all else, and their own careers over integrity. A new leader , from outside, not one of Deane’s crony’s, will hopefully flush that out, for the good of the department, and ultimately the county.

75. Anonymous said on 23 Aug 2012 at 8:30 pm:

Deane Greatest Hit - Putting supervisors in charge of detective units when they have no experience as a detective. Deane, believing that all of his hand picked supervisors are universally brilliant and able to handle every situation, put supervisors in charge of detective units when they have never been a detective, or have never handled the types of cases particular to a unit. For example, here are just a few such moves that Deane has made in his infinite wisdom, and cape of integrity and honesty, in offering the best possible police service to the community - put a F/Sgt. who had never been a detective in charge of the then Violent Crimes Unit, which handled robberies, rapes and murders - that’s smart. He also put Sgts who had never been detectives in to supervise the Major Crimes Unit, which has responsibility for white collar crimes.

What’s the result of such a policy? The leadership of the units can offer no assistance to newer detectives, who are learning on the job; and because the supervisors have no experience, they are run over by their commanders who want to take over major investigations, because 1) the commanders don’t respect the supervisors they’ve inserted into their positions and 2) the supervisors can offer no resistance to the commanders because they don’t know what they’re doing.

Another aspect of this is that in the long term, institutional knowledge is lost by Deane’s policy to promote detectives back to patrol. Only very rarely do detectives stay in the detective division. And even when they do, they no longer handle cases. So the best detectives, with the most experience, get moved from where they are doing the most good, back to supervise a patrol squad, or away from handling cases. The expertise is lost and not passed on to the next generation of detectives, and officers who like being detectives, and are good at it, are moved out of the division when promoted - not smart.

PWC is very fortunate in that it has such a low crime rate, relatively speaking. As that changes, the PD will be faced with an unnecessarily steep learning curve due to Deane’s policies, and the county will suffer for it. But Deane will be fishing.

76. Anonymous said on 24 Aug 2012 at 9:08 am:

Police Department’s have lists they provide to Prosecutors offices listing officers/detectives who have issues with truthfulness. Since they didn’t fire him, I would bet the PD hasn’t provided the name of the detective who was found to have exaggerated witness statements (and apparently made some statements up) during the IA investigation referred to above. The information would have to be provided under the Supreme Court’s Brady decision. Deane wouldn’t want to create a scandal by having the detective’s testimony in cases called into question, so I’m sure nothing will be done.

77. Anonymous said on 24 Aug 2012 at 12:01 pm:

One week until Chief-for-Life Deane continues his reign from a fishing boat.

78. Anonymous said on 24 Aug 2012 at 2:01 pm:

Another example of Deane turning his head when confronted with an ethical integrity issue - I once had a Major and a F/Sgt tell me exactly opposite things about the truth of a matter, something where thruthfulness was important and necessary - I noted it for the chain of command - and, nothing was done. They still work there offering sworn testimony and leading the department. One of them was lying, but the Chief chose not to take a stand. He’s selective about integrity, especially when it would reflect badly on his hand picked chain of command. How could he possibly admit he was wrong, if he chose them? And one of them may one day be his successor? All the stuff that has been written about how he stands up for integrity and honesty is nonsense.

79. Anonymous said on 24 Aug 2012 at 6:47 pm:

Peacor will probably pick Hudson, an insider, as Deane’s “replacement” - I’ve seen them having sushi together.

80. BristowBristling said on 24 Aug 2012 at 8:20 pm:

Anonymous, (and I’m not even sure how many of them are on this site) you sure are on a rant. Nice to have a sounding board here. I agree with several of the comments but do have an opposing view on some.

Promotional Process. Yes. Having the flexibility to choose from a group of lets say the top 20 without have to go straight down the list starting at 1 has its advantages.
    The Assessment Center Process is only one facet of the entire promotional process.
    Once the lists are made, then you should factor in issues not addressed in the Assessment Center process: past disciplinary action, education, applicant interest and dedication, and so forth. This helps give a more complete picture of the promotional pool. Applicant 1 rated only by the Assess Center may not truly be the best choice overall.

Job Experience: Let me start with the fact that many private businesses and government agencies choose to move their supervisors from area to area in the agency so that they can garner some experience and knowledge of those particular specialties. This is done to help round out basic knowledge in all areas. Those people do move up in the chain of command are not ignorant as to the overall challenges of the Department. Yes, that CID assignment may not be their forte,
    but at least they leave knowing more about the function. And, the same can by said for promoted detectives being exposed to the challenges of Patrol.

How do you expect youth to learn and grow to run the organization if they have not had exposure to all (or most) of the functions?

81. BristowBristling said on 24 Aug 2012 at 8:27 pm:

300 members leaving in 5 years. I would like to see the breakdown by year and position. I will speculate that since the Department was formed in 1970, many of those who came on in the 70’s and 80’s were/are retiring. Since the Academy is mentioned, I have to assume the writer is referring to sworn police officers leaving.
    Indeed many did seek jobs where they thought life would be better. What isn’t mentioned by the writer is that many then turned around and came back to PWCPD. Yes, officers are lost in the Academy. They are washed out because they end up deciding it is not the career choice they thought it would be or they could not perform up to standards. Disciplinary action takes quite a few out of the picture in a 5 year span. Many relocate here for the job from out of state and decide to go back home.

PWC is not unique in the above. Check your data on Fairfax and the other NOVA
    jurisdictions.

82. BristowBristling said on 24 Aug 2012 at 8:36 pm:

Have there been and are there mistakes made? Of course. Rapid growth and changing social schematics along with retirements and fast promotions to fill those slots makes for an interesting environment where mistakes will be made and hopefully the members who make them learn from them.

I have no idea who you are, Anonymous, but I will agree that there most probably has been some favoritism and special treatment. Not only by the Police Chief but by all members of the police department from rookies coming out of the Academy and how they are treated by their new squad straight up to County Human Resources Director and the County Executive who override decisions on personnel and financial matters.

And don’t even try to tell me their is no favoritism out there from out Board of County Supervisors.

You paint a very bleak picture of a rapidly expanding, well regarded police department.

I wonder. What did you personally do to help improve it? You quit.

83. anonymous said on 24 Aug 2012 at 9:25 pm:

I worked my ass off for that department. I bought in 100 percent to the Chief’s integrity and honesty mantra. And it was not true. He did not enforce it. I kept every single attaboy email he ever sent me. It was important to me that he thought I was doing a good job. But when push came to shove he didn’t walk the walk. Believe me, that was a sad day for me. But I couldn’t work there anymore knowing that it was BS. I worked 3 extra months a year in OT making him look good and he was not who he said he was, or heldhimself out to be. It was not easy leaving that career and my pension. But it was the right thing to do. I refused to work for and with liars, and he did nothing about it. And I begged him and his chain of command.

84. anonymous said on 24 Aug 2012 at 10:12 pm:

BB - Would you want to work for a department that vindictively lists your resignation status incorrectly as “resigning-not in good standing” — and the only reason they correct it is because you took the time to check for yourself (because you didn’t trust them for obvious reasons)? That department has issues, and an outsider will hopefully correct them. Enough with the media hagiographies on Deane, he is not a saint. I am very proud of the work I did for PWCPD, and for the most part I am proud of the people I worked with - PWCPD will be better served with an outsider as Chief.

85. Jay said on 25 Aug 2012 at 12:16 pm:

It’s fairly obvious you were asked to leave. I’ve never heard anybody getting a “not in good standing” resignation letter without being asked to leave or leaving under a IA investigation.

Also, your information on the VCU 1sgt is incorrect. The 1sgt. in place now has previous Detective experience and was a Sgt. in VCU previously. The 1sgt. he replaced was a longtime and accomplished VCU Detective.

I respect your opinions and personal experience, but facts are facts.

86. Jay said on 25 Aug 2012 at 12:20 pm:

Also,

Major Hudson is a really good guy and a very respected cop. I’ve never met anybody who had a problem with him. I personally hope he does get the Chief position.

87. Anonymous said on 25 Aug 2012 at 12:31 pm:

Wrong. Happened just like I said. They called it a clerical error when they changed it back. Which was crap. I was not asked to leave or under investigation. There was a vcu fsgt with no experience too

88. Jay said on 25 Aug 2012 at 2:06 pm:

Fair enough. Obviously you would know better than me.

89. BristowBristling said on 26 Aug 2012 at 8:12 pm:

In answer to your question directed to me earlier, no, I would not want to work for an organization or a boss whose integrity and credibility are consistently questioned. Honestly, I do not know your personal circumstances other than what you have posted and therefore cannot make any informed comments. That would not be fair and wouldn’t contribute to the conversation.

I will say that people make mistakes. Some own up to them and some do not. There is no perfection in this world. Chief Deane has made mistakes and has had to learn from them. He brought a small rural police department into a large, rather urban department in a short period of time (remember, unlike other police departments in the area, PWCPD was only formed in 1970.) It stands to reason that the department being only 42 years old has many ranking and older, experienced members retiring.

90. BristowBristling said on 26 Aug 2012 at 8:13 pm:

There is now a social shift beginning with the younger generation way of thinking and leading. We will see if the “new” generation will be more successful, credible and will instill a higher level of integrity. Time will only give us that answer.

As for an “inside” or “outside” Chief selection, hmmmm. My preference would be for the best candidate in the pool of candidates who could lead the Department into the next phase of development.

And, that is yet to be determined because we do not know who will apply to be in the candidate pool.

91. Anonymous said on 28 Aug 2012 at 6:21 am:

Jay - I appreciate you not calling me a liar. As for Hudson being chief, I will only say that my experience with him led to the same level of disillusionment as I had with Chief, which should not be surprising given the Chief groomed him. If he’s chosen, he’s already demonstrated he doesn’t have a problem with a detective who “inflates” witness statements, has miscommunication about the truth, and contradicts statements from other state investigators, so I expect it will be more of the same old, same old. That’s not what department needs.

92. Anonymous said on 30 Aug 2012 at 12:30 pm:

And finally, on this last day of Deane’s tenure, let’s not forget that one of the things he gets a bunch of credit for is the highly publicized review he ordered related to the PD’s handling of the Alexis Glover investigation (13 year old murdered by her mother) and her prior interactions with the department.

But what people don’t realize is that Deane only ordered that review because of a Washington Post article detailing all the times people tried to protect Lexie by contacting the police. He had no choice but to order the review after the department’s failures were listed in a major newspaper.

93. Anonymous said on 30 Aug 2012 at 3:10 pm:

Inside Nova reports today that after a TWO year investigation the PWCPD busted a brothel. And it took the assistance of the FBI, ICE, and probably the local CSI fan club.

94. Anonymous said on 30 Aug 2012 at 4:10 pm:

Yesterday’s article was good too, he is quoted as saying “I’ll miss being involved in the mysteries and crimes…. It’s always interesting to have some role in finding out who did what” — he had about as much “role” in solving “mysteries and crimes” as the readers of this blog. I once had a Major tell me he had been “involved” in solving over 50 murders…to which I responded “Define ‘involved’”. Define “role”, Chief. Enjoy the fishing, and don’t bother Barnard too much with the calls, he will be busy pretending he is charge.

95. Anonymous said on 31 Aug 2012 at 11:33 am:

Meet the New Boss
    Same as the Old Boss

96. BristowBristling said on 31 Aug 2012 at 2:45 pm:

So bitter. Better for you to move on in your life, start enjoying what you accomplish, and quit complaining. Chief Deane has retired. Reliving your past, as you perceive it, will only cause you more bitterness.

Chief Deane did many, many good things to bring the Police Department from the
    1970’s into 2012. There were some mistakes along the way, but who is perfect?
    Not me. Not you.

My congratulations to Chief Deane for his years of service.

97. Anonymous said on 31 Aug 2012 at 3:00 pm:

Name any of the “many, many good things” Deane did to bring the department from the 1970’s to the present and your argument would be more persuasive. I’ve yet to hear one thing Deane did that set him above any other Police Chief in the area, or even the country. Beyond longevity.

98. Anonymous said on 2 Sep 2012 at 9:19 am:

If the new Chief was smart he would dig through the “left because Deane is a fool” file and bring back some of the amazing talent that left because of Deane. PWCPD lost so many talented individuals that have morals it’s sad. Could you imagine what kind of leadership the dept. could have if Deane left when he should have years ago? Maybe the newer guys would actually learn how to be police the way it was meant to be done instead of the PWC way.

99. Anonymous said on 2 Sep 2012 at 1:20 pm:

Don’t fool yourself. Deane is still running the place. Barnard is nothing. You don’t want to work for a chain of command that protects it’s friends.

100. Anonymous said on 3 Sep 2012 at 10:30 am:

Oh please don’t take it out of context. I want nothing to do with that Dept. there are too many at the top tainted by Deane. It will be a long time before the Dept. is clean of his boys.

101. Anonymous said on 9 Sep 2012 at 9:58 am:

Anonymous said on 31 Aug 2012 at 3:00 pm:

Still waiting to hear the one thing!

102. Anonymous said on 10 Sep 2012 at 9:44 am:

They got nothing to say to defend that guy, the bigger issue now is whether Peacor is going to go with the one of Deane’s cronies…The District Commander that I understand may be putting in for it refused to act on a blatant integrity issue that occurred in his presence, because it would have implicated one of his Lts. More of that same style leadership will keep the department bound to Deane’s shadow…

103. Anonymous said on 11 Sep 2012 at 9:11 pm:

The WaPo had yet another article about Deane’s retirement on Sept 10, this time an interview reflecting on immigration and other mundane musings of a guy that has been in a holding pattern for years…he tried to take credit for solving the East Coast Rapist case, which was solved by Fairfax PD’s efforts and the FBI’s money; he tried to take credit for getting under the crime tape and paying attention to minute details of cases, which is beyond a joke - he would lead the press conferences, leaving his detectives on the sidelines, but he had nothing to do with the cases, unless it was to meddle…the Post gave him yet another few inches of ink to detail why he was such a great chief, and in the end he could only come up with mundane musings

104. cdubbs said on 16 Oct 2012 at 1:11 pm:

Yes, I’ll always remember Chief Deane for uttering those immortal words in the rule of law debate int 2007 “We are only interested in the illegal aliens that are breaking the law, not the illegal aliens who are obeying the law”

105. Tad Pole Angel said on 26 Oct 2012 at 12:12 am:

I can only hope that his leaving has to do with the FBI finally choosing to investigate a cover-up of police corruption involving the alleged sexual assault of an African-American child by a white male.

His record of failing to protect children of color cost three of them there lives:

Rodney Gene Williams in 1978
    Donnell Christopher Robinson in 1992
    Alexus Glover more recently.

I also believe former Latino Police Officer Janice Hetzel would disagree with the praise: http://ftp.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F3/89/89.F3d.169.95-2010.95-2004.95-1935.html

On the FBI case virginiaspennstatescandal.blogspot.com that will be Prince William Counties Penn State