Despicable Me

By Greg L | 11 December 2012 | Prince William County | 24 Comments

Has Potomac District Supervisor Maureen Caddigan entirely lost her marbles?  Calling residents of Prince William County “despicable” at tonight’s Board of County Supervisors meeting, other than being highly offensive, is just plain bizarre.  What the hell is wrong with this goofball?

You talk about your budget committee,” said Caddigan. “They are the bloggers; many are associated with your office. These are the people who have crucified our county executive and defamed each member of this board. We do know them by name. We do know who they are, and it is disgraceful that they are going to twist our arms, get us out of office, so they can get people who can support Candland, so he can run for chairman. I don’t mean to be a small person here, but your budget committee is despicable, and I will not be listening to your budget committee.” — Supervisor Maureen Caddigan

What really is despicable is how Caddigan has been using taxpayer funds to promote her campaign activities.  Buying memorial bricks at the Marine Corps museum that identifies her elected office with taxpayer money is pretty despicable.  Funneling taxpayer money to private entities in violation of Virginia law is despicable.  Putting plaques in the Hylton Center and at a park in Dumfries with your elected office on it, and using taxpayer funds to do it is despicable.  Those are cases of abusing the public trust, misappropriating public funds for political purposes, and willful violation of the law.  That’s despicable, Ms. Caddigan.  I daresay it might well be criminal, as well.

Having people from across the county act as volunteers to pore through the budget to find ways for local government to be more efficient and effective, and save taxpayers money?  That’s not despicable.  That’s to be celebrated.  That’s what elected officials like yourself, Ms. Caddigan, should be trying to do if you weren’t busying yourself with the next scheme to try to funnel a half million taxpayer dollars to a non-governmental private entity on which you serve on the board of directors.  There’s no angle in good government, though, so many of us are not surprised going in that direction has seemingly never occurred to you.

And as for bloggers who call out this immoral, unethical, probably illegal behavior?  If you’re the one calling us “despicable” Ms. Caddigan, I’m quite pleased you’ve found the opportunity to make an ethical distinction between yourself and folks like me.

It sure makes it easier for the general population of this county to tell us apart.

UPDATE: Here’s the clip of Supervisor Caddigan showing us just what a classy lady and responsible legislator she is:

Get Microsoft Silverlight

UPDATE 2: One of Caddigan’s constituents unloads on her over at Virtucon, and makes a very compelling and comprehensive case to have voters boot her from the Board of County Supervisors as soon as possible.

1. Pocketchange said on 12 Dec 2012 at 5:33 am:

I think Caddigan’s purchase of theater seats memorializing herself and a family member with our money (Discretionary Funds) was pretty despicable. That purchase was purely personal.

2. Anonymous said on 12 Dec 2012 at 7:29 am:

She goes after bloggers on the committee but Mac Haddow hasn’t even blogged since April of 2012. And he used to be a prolific blogger. What is she thinking?

3. Anonymous said on 12 Dec 2012 at 8:34 am:

She thinks the Sheriff is on his budget committee. Is he or she? I don’t think so.

4. Riley said on 12 Dec 2012 at 12:31 pm:

The only blogger I know of on the budget committee is Al Alborn who is one of the most calm, sedate, and rational people in the blogosphere.

5. Anonymous said on 12 Dec 2012 at 1:05 pm:

If the above charges are true, why isn’t she, at a minimum, repremanded by the Chairman, BCS?

6. Anonymous said on 12 Dec 2012 at 4:18 pm:

For those of you who want to watch the BOCS exchange, go to the media feed at the County BOCS website and see the time references below:

03:07 Candland begins talking about his flat tax proposal and the CXO’s biased response

03:13:40 Candland notes if he had offered such a mistake ridden biased report at his civilian job, he would have been fired - he expresses “no confidence” in Peacor

03:17 Caddigan offers her first response and suggests trying to come up with a budget somewhere in between Stewart’s and Jenkins

03:20 Jenkins says that there is a rule, procedure or something (he literally doesn;t know) that says the CXO can’t be criticized

03:23 Caddigan then expresses her opinion that Candland’s budget committee is despicable etc…

03:25 Nohe offers his “emotional” support of Peacor

03:27 Candland defends his budget committee

7. Citizen-Veteran said on 12 Dec 2012 at 9:48 pm:

Caddigan soooooooooooooooo needs to go - away from public office.

8. Bill Card said on 13 Dec 2012 at 8:28 am:

I have been absent from this discussion being preoccupied with first a National and now a State election. However now that it is blasted all over our GOP Facebook page I feel compelled to respond.

If those concerned purport to back Supervisor Candland’s political and fiscal conservatism, then I would strongly recommend that they also support his equally conservative ethics as they relate to political discourse. Supervisor Candland was concerned enough about the level to which this discourse has sunk that he penned this article (11/9/12) which I heartily endorsed at the time and recommend that all review now:

I have recently spoken to Supervisor Candland and I sensed that he is as repelled by this as I am. I have also spoken with Supervisor Caddigan and certainly she prefers a more civil dialog.

To those whose immediate response is “But she called me dispic. . . . . . . “ I would refer you to the past several months of diatribes which at times have been . . . . . well . . . . despicable.

What I want for Christmas is for all to reset the level of discourse and leave the politics of personal destruction to the people who invented it – Liberals. Our pursuit of political objectives shouldn’t overwhelm our exercise of common decency.

Bill Card
    Chairman, PWCRC

9. Anonymous said on 13 Dec 2012 at 10:43 am:

Dear Bill,

Are you going to feel real stupid when you find out the blogger attacking the BOCS is Candland’s biggest supporter?

10. Pissed said on 13 Dec 2012 at 10:59 am:

I understand what you’re doing, Bill. You’re the Chairman, and you have to support all the electeds on the R side, no matter what they do.

I’m pissed at Caddigan, and several other folks on this board who trot out how they’re supposed to be good government types who care about our tax bills every four years only to act like big government liberals after the election. I’m pissed that these folks throw taxpayer money around to help their friends, allies and families. I’m really pissed that when citizens call folks out on their behavior, the response is to have them insult voters.

I’m done being gentle with these crooks. Being gentle with them and forgiving this outrageous behavior only results in higher taxes, corruption and wasteful spending. This is MY money they’re screwing around with.

11. The Derecho said on 13 Dec 2012 at 11:25 am:

“Bend over you hag, cause it’s comin’ at ya.”

Thanks for the mental image I really didn’t need, don’t know if there’s enough Scotch available to erase that one.

12. HTF said on 13 Dec 2012 at 3:23 pm:

Pissed: What did your wife say when you said that to her lastnight?

13. Roger R (ed: also posting as Classic Rock and HTF) said on 13 Dec 2012 at 4:42 pm:

Hey Pissed, get a life. Vulgar language like yours does not belong on this blog or any other. Such disrespectful dribble shows you are totally ignorant and crass. You don’t need that kind of language to get your point across.

14. Classic Rock (ed: also posting as Roger R and HTF) said on 13 Dec 2012 at 4:55 pm:

Oh real nice, “Pissed”, and a really good name for you to post your vulgar comment under. Do you really think your last sentence made any difference in what people on this blog will think of your opinion?

15. Bill Card said on 13 Dec 2012 at 5:47 pm:

Anonymous,

I recommend that “Candland’s biggest supporter” ask Pete Candland about the tone and civility of the message. Based on my discussions with him; Pete doesn’t like it and wouldn’t endorse it.

Or perhaps “Pissed” and “Derecho” should ask Pete Candland about the use of the word “hag” and the sexual imagery.

So much for civility. Even if you are right, it doesn’t give you license for this kind of attack.

Bill

16. Gainesville Gal said on 13 Dec 2012 at 8:44 pm:

I have watched the Board Hearing 3 times now. I have read and re-read the blogs and news articles. I used to work for PWC (25+ years).

Melissa Peacor is well known for her abrasive, domineering, “my way or I make your life miserable” personality and leadership style.

I find her treatment of Mr. Candland (who is an elected official) despicable.
    I find Mrs. Caddigan’s personal attacks on a volunteer committee despicable.
    I find Mr. Jenkins’ comments about Mr. Candland’s lack of support for Mrs. Peacor’s obviously inaccurate report despicable.
    I find Mr. Stewart’s inability to support each member of the Board despicable.

In fact, I find this whole political process despicable.

Mr. Candland is an elected official. Not Mrs. Peacor’s assistant. Not Mrs. Caddigan’s puppet, not Mr. Jenkins’ cheerleader.

Mr. Candland is doing the job he was elected to do.

Keep on doing that job Mr. Candland with our thanks, support and gratitude.

17. Pissed said on 14 Dec 2012 at 12:01 am:

I must be making one hell of a point because I seem to get a sock puppet attacking me as well as getting the PWCRC Chair responding.

My money is not YOURS, Ms. Caddigan. If you want to blow $500k on the Boys & Girls club because it makes you look like a big girl, you go right ahead and stroke a check. If instead you’re going to try to shake me down for the money you want to give them, then screw you, you useless hag, and take your taxpayer-bought plaques with your name on them from the Hylton Center with you. And your taxpayer-funded bricks at the Marine Corps Museum. And your taxpayer-funded campaign advertisements in dinner programs, as well. And your campaign finance fraud of funneling donor money to family members who live in your household.

Your thieving, ugly, broke-down hag of useless trash. Go put a big, heavy taxpayer-funded piece of jewelry around your neck and go swim in the Potomac.

18. Anonymous said on 14 Dec 2012 at 12:46 am:

“Pissed” is what is called a troll, a provocateur who “comments” to create trouble. Ignore it. “Pissed” is trying to discredit legitimate criticism.

19. joe p. said on 14 Dec 2012 at 1:14 am:

“Pissed” has made some decent points. Look beyond the emotionalism; “pissed” is right–not in his or her incivility but certainly on the merits of the issues. Caddigan IS taking our money and throwing it around on frivolous stuff, all to promote herself. That’s the message, and she needs to recognize that some of us want to yell the famous line from the movie about being mad as h-e-doublehockeysticks (to avoid offense), and we’re not going to take it anymore.

20. Remove nasty comments said on 14 Dec 2012 at 5:14 pm:

Pissed,

You said”From now on I’m treating members of the board like Caddigan treats me. Bend over you hag, cause it’s comin’ at ya.”

With what happened today in CT t meanness bullying and the general atmosphere of hatred in this country and this county has to end!! Disagreements are one thing but the violence (yes words can be violent) have to stop.

Greg-Please remove the comments of Pissed from your blog.

21. freedom said on 16 Dec 2012 at 8:09 pm:

There are lots of us who are right there with you, Bill. When discussson becomes so violent and filled with hate, I often think that there must be something behind it all…perhaps a former relationship gone sour…perhaps even a professional relationship.

Particularly during this time of year, I sincerely hope that those of mean spirit can find peace in their hearts and lend support and comfort…it not only feels better, it’s far more productive and admirable.

22. Riley said on 17 Dec 2012 at 10:26 am:

freedom has it right.

There is no reason why we can’t vehemently disagree about public policy and official actions while also maintaining civil discourse. To veer into the personal or to use name calling only detracts from the important points that do matter. There is no need to stoop to the level that our elected official employed from the dais last week.

23. R. King said on 18 Dec 2012 at 5:47 pm:

Cain’t we jest all git along?

24. hals120 said on 24 Dec 2012 at 12:13 pm:

I’ve voted for Maureen Caddigan ever since I moved to PWC, because I thought she represented us well, and that she shared my values. Clearly, I have been mistaken on both counts, and Maureen, you’ve lost my vote.