video production in Manassas and Prince William County

School Board To Conservatives: Piss Off

By Greg L | 2 January 2013 | Prince William County | 8 Comments

Steve Keen, the spoiler in the 2007 elections that enabled Frank Principi to become the Woodbridge Supervisor, has been rewarded for his determined efforts to undermine conservatives in Prince William County and was appointed to the Prince William County School Board this evening.  Keen will represent the Woodbridge District until an election can be held, which may be as early as April, at which time he will almost certainly lose, given how lazy and ineffective he is at campaigning for elected office.  What a complete waste of an opportunity here.

The School Board has made a very poor decision, but selected someone who is terribly unlikely to challenge the status quo during the upcoming budget deliberations and who won’t rock the boat one bit.  A former member of the School Board, Keen’s previous tenure was utterly unremarkable and devoid of any efforts to reform the system other than to advocate for higher spending.  Now that reform is desperately needed, particularly with the fiscal situation in the county in such uncertain waters, the Board has selected one of the individuals least likely to have any interest in promoting reform.

What Keen is likely to support should make conservatives shudder.  Keen opposed the Rule of Law Resolution and advocated that illegal aliens receive housing vouchers under the federal Section 8 program despite their unlawful status in the country, a position that Frank Principi won’t even support.  In a school system still quite overwhelmed by illegal aliens and their children, don’t expect Keen to take much interest in ways to reduce this burden when he’s already on record trying to see what additional public benefits can be diverted their way.

The unanimous votes in support of Keen by of all of the Republican members of the School Board is a tremendously disturbing surprise.  I would not be surprised if more than a few people remember this latest disgrace the next time members of the School Board are up for re-election.

1. Facepalm said on 2 Jan 2013 at 11:24 pm:

Hmmmmm…. I understand that Julie Lucas recently moved into Woodbridge District…

2. Back Atcha said on 3 Jan 2013 at 11:30 am:

The vote last night has Julie Lucas written all over it……..

3. lam said on 3 Jan 2013 at 2:07 pm:

If Julie did this to Chris Royse by calling the members behind Chris’s back, it is the ultimate betrayal. Julie has been living in Florida for the last three years, but then expects to come back and run and win over someone (Royse) who has been in the fight for this entire time? I think not.

4. Anonymous said on 3 Jan 2013 at 2:37 pm:

“If Julie did this to Chris Royse by calling the members behind Chris’s back, it is the ultimate betrayal.”

And this surprises you why?

5. Julie Lucas said on 3 Jan 2013 at 3:11 pm:

It is very unfortunate to see this being said about me. If anyone would like to speak to me directly please let Greg know, I’d be happy to. I have no idea where this post is coming from. Yes, I just moved back to the county, but I had nothing to do with this appointment. I was asked to consider it since I’m in the Woodbridge district, but decided against it. There were several qualified candidates who applied. I was asked to speak on behalf of Todd McCormick and declined saying I know two of the candidates who applied: Chris Royse and Steve Keen. When I was called and asked who I thought the board would appoint I said, “Chris Royse.” Last night’s decision was a complete shock to me. Please feel free to call every board member and asked if I called them to encourage them to vote a certain way. The comments here are very disappointing. I’m very excited to be back in Prince William County and look forward to getting back involved in the community.

6. Robert L. Duecaster said on 3 Jan 2013 at 3:54 pm:

Welcome back Julie!

Greg: I’d expect any politician to tell conservatives to “pee” off, considering that they don’t show up to vote in numbers commensurate to the noise they make. Fewer voted in this last election than in ‘08. Pathetic.

7. Kim Simons said on 6 Jan 2013 at 8:56 pm:

This may sound irrelevant, but of all of the speakers who addressed the school board asking to represent the Woodbridge district, only Steve Keen stayed until the meeting was over. The rest gave their speeches, thanked their supporters, and went home. That spoke volumes to me about his level of commitment.

I’m sick and tired of people running to serve on the school board who haven’t bothered to attend any school board meetings. Why are you running if you aren’t interested enough to attend meetings or don’t have the fortitude to sit to end of meetings?

And that applies to Democrats, Republicans, AND Independents. If you want to represent the people of this county on the school board then you have to show up, pay attention, and not just spew the party line.

8. Facepalm said on 7 Jan 2013 at 2:21 pm:

My comment was along the lines of Julie being a conservative who could remove the Keen RINO.