Buffalo Wild Wings Throws Cops Out Of Restaurant

By Greg L | 25 March 2013 | Manassas City | 25 Comments

Buffalo Wild Wings, you are the stupidest business in Virginia and I sincerely hope you go bankrupt soon.

Eight Prince William County Police officers were refused service at Buffalo Wild Wings on Wednesday, apparently because they had their weapons displayed. (From Manassas Park Patch)

I don’t want explanations, or an apology, I just want this business gone.

H/T: PWC News Network.

1. Anonymous said on 25 Mar 2013 at 5:39 pm:

My ? is why do all 8 officers have to eat at the same place at the same time?
    Not a smart thing to have so many protective resources in one location, eating in 2 man groups makes more sense and better protection of people with our tax dollars.
    3 of those cars should have been on patrol or at least a different section of town to ensure better response times to other parts of the zone. Staggered coverage people.

2. Manny said on 25 Mar 2013 at 7:29 pm:

I’m going to disagree here. If a law abiding citizen can not openly carry their defensive sidearm in BWW, then neither should cops.

3. The Bulletproof Monk said on 25 Mar 2013 at 10:54 pm:

Some people have to have no defense at their worst moment (a robbery at gunpoint) to truly understand why armed officers in their establishment was a great thing to have.
    This decision leaves them to mop up the damage and call the police AFTER THE FACT. Brilliant. NOT!

4. What! said on 26 Mar 2013 at 6:45 am:

I’m a simple guy. It appears an employee screwed up. If Buffalo Wild Wings offers free food to cops for life, I’ll get over this. If not, there are plenty of other places to buy wings.

5. bwana said on 26 Mar 2013 at 9:54 am:

I may be old fashioned, but policemen have carried guns for years, and for patrolmen generally openly…and I don’t recall anyone saying they need to disarm before going into a restaurant…or any other facility. BWW manager needs to apologize-and quickly-and remove from his staff the jamoche who blundered

6. Skepp said on 26 Mar 2013 at 2:05 pm:

EIGHT police officers together! Were they having a birthday celebration or what?
    I don’t mind them having sidearms, but it seems not quite OK that so many in a police dept should be off the streets at the same time.

7. Anonymous said on 26 Mar 2013 at 2:17 pm:

Some kid made a mistake. The manager already apoligized for the policy confusion. Geez give it a rest, more things to be making a big deal about. And those cops are big boys, they should not be wasting time publicizing the small error of one kid probably on their first job. Somebody always trying to make themself feel good making someone else feel stupid.
    Also note my previous comment 1st on the link.

8. BattleCat said on 26 Mar 2013 at 6:11 pm:

Last I checked, there was no policy confusion at BWW. It’s right there on the door: No guns. You can imagine the disappointment that any armed robber would feel upon reading this sign. That would likely blow their whole plan for that day! I would love to eat at BWW, but refuse because of their very clear policy. Do they care? I doubt it. Not until enough people get the craps of it will they care.

9. Benton said on 26 Mar 2013 at 8:14 pm:

Maybe they were in training and breaking for lunch. Maybe they just left an incident.

Plain clothed police officers are not patrol - they are detectives usually, training staff or internal affairs.

10. John said on 27 Mar 2013 at 6:41 am:

The manager on duty made a mistake, doesnt mean the business should go bankrupt!! Come on Greg, you are supposed to be in support of business and capitalism. They should reprimand the manager on duty for it and move on. Boycotting the place is over the top, a single manager made a dumb decision.

11. Anonymous said on 27 Mar 2013 at 7:18 am:

Battlecat should read Patch. Even though the no gun polic is posted “there is an internal policy this does not apply to police and was a mistake on the employee”

12. Former Officer said on 27 Mar 2013 at 4:22 pm:

You can rest assured that the on duty manager was involved in this decision. And for the stupid people making assumptions on here about the 8 officers. You can bet these were not 8 patrol officers eating at the same time and at the same place. (The plain clothes should have made that obvious) This was more likely a unit that just finished training or an operation and their presence at BWW had ZERO impact on the street coverage.

You can also bet the officers involved are not the ones making an issue out of this. Some one else that was present likely made the call.

Some of you might want to Google “Luby’s massacre) and “McDonald’s Massacre” Management at BWW may want to Google these as well.

13. TRD said on 27 Mar 2013 at 4:27 pm:

WAIT! Buffalo Wild Wings sells donuts?

14. ffft said on 27 Mar 2013 at 6:29 pm:

They don’t allow ME to have a gun so i’m not willing to bet there is a cop in the house just so I can eat in a “criminal protection zone”.

15. Gordon said on 28 Mar 2013 at 6:52 am:

Scott Lupton, the general manager of the Manassas Buffalo Wild Wings wrote a letter of apology to the police and I accept that.

The problem arose from one of the fearful brain-dead robotic assistant managers that work at that place. I have never been to an establishment with such a fear of the corporate regional manager showing up who is more concerned with dirt under the toilet seat than easing up on their stupid corporate rules (I.D. everyone at the bar) and allowing staff to relax a bit and provide good customer service.

Many veterans go there and I am confident it will continue.

16. Anonymous said on 28 Mar 2013 at 8:31 am:

They hire anyone there.

17. Citizen-Veteran said on 29 Mar 2013 at 12:11 pm:

There are a number of businesses in PWC run by leftwing morons. None deserve the business of a responsible citizen who understands the need to uphold the Constitution of the United States. StarBucks and their pro-gay activism should never be supported. There are a number of restaurants of various ethnic cuisine that are staffed by illegal aliens - and should be avoided. Now we have Buffalo Wild Wings joining the ranks of the leftwing morons. They don’t need to be visited. Vote with your feet and dollars.

18. Disgusted said on 29 Mar 2013 at 9:49 pm:

…and Citizen-Veteran wins the trifecta for bashing gays, liberals AND illegals in one post!!! Well done! Coulda thrown in a “Merica” and made the Hater HOF!

19. Cynic said on 29 Mar 2013 at 10:30 pm:

Disgusted -

Why should Citizen-Veteran use three posts when one will do?

20. Dave in PWC said on 2 Apr 2013 at 6:26 pm:

I wonder how the business is doing at BWW? I just directed a bunch of folks down testing this week to the one in Gainesville after showing them the article about the Manassas one.

21. Anonymous said on 4 Apr 2013 at 8:50 am:

The waiter who threw out the cops, his name is Darren, and get this- he is a former MARINE!

And they’re blaiming this on the waiter. Sure, Marines get all panicky at the sight of a cop with a gun and start acting stupid.

22. VaMinuteman said on 11 Apr 2013 at 3:39 pm:

I agree w/ Cit.Vet, but only up to a point. If the sign on the door reads “No weapons”, then it applies to everyone. Is it BWW’s right to have such a policy? Absolutely. Is it my right to choose to spend my $$ somewhere else? Absolutely. Will I continue to go elsewhere if BWW maintains this “criminal protective zone”? Absolutely. It’s their right to own their restaurant, make their own policies, and enforce them. But I believe they should be enforced equally. I can make my own decisions, and have decided to patronize someplace else. After all - isn’t that what makes this country of ours so great?

23. Cynic said on 13 Apr 2013 at 11:45 am:

Check the laws. I would think state and local police and other state and local law enforcement personnel and federal agents/personnel including military that are engaged in law enforcement are authorized to carry wherever they go as they never know when it will be necessary/required to respond to some situation that requires deadly force. Being unarmed by the whims of some citizen or organizational policy just does not cut it.

24. Mary said on 3 May 2013 at 4:08 pm:

I have never heard of such a thing. I can’t imagine a teenager host/hostess telling a policeman that he can’t bring his weapon into the restaurant. That takes an amazing amount of gall.

Regardless, I know as the granddaughter of a police officer that when in uniform, an officer must be armed for his own personal safety. Police officers are targets in and out of uniform. That is reason enough for the officer to be allowed to be armed.

25. Semper Why said on 9 May 2013 at 9:30 am:

The weird thing for me is that I’ve been to this BWW a few times and I’ve never seen the “no guns” sign on the door. If they have a policy against weapons, they’re hiding it pretty well from people with weapons.