Melissa Peacor Jumps The Shark

By Greg L | 24 May 2013 | Prince William County | 22 Comments

undefinedThe Sheriff was the first to notice that our County Executive took it upon herself to decide that not only did the county needed a new logo, but that she was going to be the one who would determine what it would look like. As a result, we end up with this kind of meaningless, utter tripe that we’re going to spend all sorts of taxpayer money rebranding everything in the county with it.  What these two nondescript squares are supposed to mean or what significance they may hold for the county is anyone’s guess, and it certainly will keep people guessing for a long time, should this actually come to pass.  What is certain though is that government bureaucrats are utterly unqualified for any task involving graphic design and marketing much moreso than they are unqualified to determine a budget that might actually reflect the anticipated spending levels of a government agency.

Because I’m a concerned citizen who very much wants to support the success of our county government, I thought I’d take a moment to craft an alternative design for the county’s apparently desperately-needed rebranding effort that I would offer to Prince William County free of charge.  My design criteria are that the rebranding accurately reflect what the county is, utilize a widely recognized symbol that would easily be associated with county government, and strongly communicate the sense of awe and magnificence that residents, visitors and business partners should have when they think of Prince William County government.

Dear readers, may I present you with my version of the County’s logo, which I call “Queen Melissa The Merciful.”

1. Jaws said on 24 May 2013 at 3:13 pm:

Too bad the shark didn’t eat her when she jumped it.

2. Lovettsville Lady said on 24 May 2013 at 3:54 pm:

This may be the worst logo ever designed. What are they smoking over in Prince William? Or was it an April Fools joke?

3. Jaws said on 24 May 2013 at 4:18 pm:

They be smokin’ ganja, mon!

4. legalbeagle said on 24 May 2013 at 5:08 pm:

A $ sign over each eyeball would be a nice touch.

5. T2T said on 24 May 2013 at 7:07 pm:

I think a picture of the county executive with a dunce cap and the PWC logo on it might be more fitting than a big, golden crown.

Nothing to see here folks … just more overreach of power by PWC leadership. It’s sad when the PWC leadership gets drunk on power at the expense of the lowly taxpayer.

6. Clare Voyant said on 24 May 2013 at 9:37 pm:

Regardless of whether you like the logo…or not, staff was following a due process prescribed by the BOCS. Check the factual history on this issue.

BTW, what does “jumping the shark” mean?

7. Greg L said on 24 May 2013 at 10:23 pm:

OK, in response to reader comments I took some time to add something with a dollar sign and some burning money in the background. I hope you all appreciate the lengths to which I go to satisfy my dedicated readers!

8. Duffy said on 24 May 2013 at 11:13 pm:

I will sort of miss the old marijuana plant on the front of the county seal.

9. T2T said on 25 May 2013 at 10:49 am:

Nice rework of queen Peacor. The “bling” of the dollar sign around her neck says it all. Being in a period of tighter budget constraints though, we’ll have to let Ms. Peacor know that we had to settle for the $49.99 version that is just sprayed in a fake gold paint. Not 100% pure gold cast as initially thought.

I did have an interesting thought come to mind about the new PWC logo — the two boxes. To me, that seems like a hokey logo that some medical provider will be using for their logo next year under Obamacare. The simple squares might work in representing a knock-off, low rate medical services provider … but hardly what we need for representing our county. Yuck!

10. Jack Slimp said on 25 May 2013 at 12:00 pm:

The phrase “jump the shark” comes from a scene in the TV series, Happy Days, September 20, 1977. The central character, Fonzie (Henry Winkler), answers a challenge to his bravery by water-skiing wearing his leather jacket and jumping over a confined shark. “The phrase implies a belief that the show began a creative decline in this era, as writers ran out of ideas.” So it has come to mean a point of ridiculousness or decline.

11. Sean said on 25 May 2013 at 7:28 pm:

This new “logo” is not something any County employee supports…I can assure you of that. At a recent Communications meeting Jason Grant, in his smug way, said “it is what it is, and live with it” I am glad Jenkins and others stood up. I can not understand how they thought they could just do this without any BOS input. I dont always like the anti-County rhetoric on blogs, but this is something that is ridiculous and something County employees are not supportive of. Not broke, dont fix it. The problem isnt the seal…its the image that BOS and other portray of the County.

12. Benton said on 26 May 2013 at 5:18 am:

Do we know that Stewart had no prior knowledge of this? He’s been busy lately.

13. Duffy said on 26 May 2013 at 6:46 am:

Benton, my sources tell me that Corey knew all about it.

14. Annoymous said on 26 May 2013 at 8:44 am:

When you hire high price “communications experts” for the county who don’t have enough to do this is what you get. More wasteful spending of existing tax dollars while justifying “needed” tax increases. Government is broken.

15. Greg L said on 27 May 2013 at 7:54 pm:

God Bless John Jenkins. This is the money quote of the week, from him of course:

“This new logo, it’s an empty box. It has no message.”

Amen.

16. Johnny Slash said on 28 May 2013 at 12:46 pm:

The county has a new theme song, too:

Always never quite right
    Square pegs, square pegs, square, square pegs
    I’d like it if they liked us, but I don’t think they like us
    Square pegs, square pegs, square, square pegs
    So tell me where’s the party, and how come we weren’t invited?
    One size does not fit all

Square pegs, square pegs, square, square pegs
    Don’t wanna wear my glasses, I have to wear my glasses
    Square pegs, square pegs, square, square pegs
    Why are we wearing this year what they were wearing last year?
    Square pegs, square pegs, square, square pegs
    Yeah, I’d be cuter without gum in my braces
    Square pegs, square pegs, square, square pegs
    I hope the whole is greater than the sum of it’s parts

She said that she was, but we know she isn’t
    And she said that she would, but he hasn’t asked her

He did, and we know it
    But with whom, we can’t guess it

And they think that we’re the
    Square pegs, square pegs, square, square pegs
    Really funny…who broke the pi button on my calculator?
    Square pegs, square pegs, square, square pegs
    May you be eternally grounded
    Square pegs, square pegs, square, square pegs
    Me? Get juiced with the cool patrol?
    Square pegs, square pegs, square, square pegs
    Uh, no thanks, why do you think they call it beer?
    I mean, listen to him

(sax solo)

Square pegs, square pegs, square, square pegs
    Yeah know, our school colors should be black and blue
    Square pegs, square pegs, square, square pegs
    Yeah, I mean no, huh? what?
    Square pegs, square pegs, square, square pegs
    No, I don’t think I have a bad attitude, why?
    Square pegs, square pegs, square, square pegs
    Suspended? Suspended for what?
    But they told me it was Senior Wig Day
    Square pegs, square pegs, square, square pegs
    Honest, I don’t even know how those worms got there
    Square pegs, square pegs, square, square pegs
    Now what would I do with 200 peanut butter cups?
    One size does not fit all

17. Facepalm said on 28 May 2013 at 12:53 pm:

Glad Jenkins finally woke up to notice something going on…

18. J Doe said on 28 May 2013 at 8:07 pm:

That new logo looks like a Microsoft Template, hope they paid the proper software license fees!

19. Diogenes said on 30 May 2013 at 4:27 pm:

If the new logo DID have a message, would Big John J have the wherewithal to discern it?

20. Anonymous said on 2 Jun 2013 at 8:47 am:

Probably the most simple eyesore of a logo that I have ever seen.

21. Luke said on 2 Jun 2013 at 7:23 pm:

Ok, so the logo cost $750. How much to change the logos on all of the signs, county vehicles, and other placements.

Why not spend the proper money to a qualified branding/design firm and do it right?

22. Riley said on 2 Jun 2013 at 8:14 pm:

Luke, that would make too much sense. Don’t forget, they’re telling us that they’s SAVING us money. /sarc

If they had done this properly, there would have been focus groups involved and the whole thing. Instead, the contract went to the company that brought Michigan the “Mr. Sponge” website because someone at PWC once worked for them.