This Saturday Youth For Tomorrow is going to have their “Country Fair and Auction” to help support all that good work that this celebrity-laden outfit is supposedly doing. They’re going to put on a nice dog-and-pony-show to tell folks about how they help troubled kids and need your charitable donations to continue their godly work.
But almost none of what they’ll tell you is actually true.
Two years ago, in the face of Virginia trying to direct troubled kids towards foster care instead of residential programs, YFT had a budget problem. The kids they were helping, mostly paid for through state and local funds to the tune of about $24,000 a year, just weren’t showing up anymore. They’d built up this tremendous facility with a highly qualified staff that wasn’t exactly cheap, but there just weren’t seeing the kind of demand for their services that they’d expected to see. They had to find some way to bring in money, and during the economic downturn charity wasn’t going to fill the gap. They had to get creative.
They decided to start milking the government teat and just what agency out there had money? Health and Human Services had money for their “refugee programs,” and as we all know there’s nothing closer to eternal life than a government program, so this made business sense. They started putting in grant applications, which are so much less constricted than actually contracting services through government since there’s no competitive bidding or acquisition regulations to worry about, helping the federal government shuttle “refugees” into Virginia, and they started to win. Big time.
Boy was that lucrative! By 2014, YFT was pulling in over $8 million a year as the program expanded beyond anyone’s imagination as a means to bring juvenile illegal aliens into the country. So much for that Christian mission, this was about bucket-fulls of dollars. Their previously excellent staff wasn’t needed anymore since they were trained and experienced in helping American kids with problems instead of (allegedly) 16 and 17 year-old Spanish-speaking juveniles from Central America, so they were let go and replaced with cheaper, but bilingual labor. Now YFT pumps about 80 kids per month through their system, all of whom then become the responsibility of local taxpayers after they leave. YFT makes millions, while our county schools see ESOL enrollments in our already-overcrowded schools explode to the tune of about $13 million additional costs each and every year, not counting the capital costs of building schools to pack them in to.
What about the programs to help American kids who are deeply troubled and desperately need help? There’s a handful that remain, but mostly they’re all gone because the federal government pays YFY $113,000 per space for illegal aliens when state and local governments don’t pay even a quarter of that for American kids. If you’re a business, you’re going to focus on where the profits are, and YFT is, despite their charitable guise and their increasingly thin Christian veil, little more than a business now.
Now YFT wants you to give them your money. So they can expand their programs even more, to soak up even more of your federal tax dollars temporarily helping illegal aliens before they’re dumped with “sponsors” in our community and supported with your state and local tax dollars. Each one of these spots that Youth For Tomorrow maintains costs taxpayers $128,000 the first year and about $25,000 a year after that until they might show up at an immigration hearing (70% will not) and might get deported (of the remaining 30%, perhaps half will.) Of course, all of this helps to encourage even more illegal aliens to unlawfully come into our country to jump on this incredible gravy train. Why wouldn’t they with this kind of lure drawing them in?
Do you really want to give charitable dollars for this?
I won’t be in town this weekend to see this disgusting spectacle, but if I were, I’d be in front of the place holding a sign that asks why Youth For Tomorrow is selling it’s soul for $8 million a year so we can have worse schools. The folks getting mislead into coming to that event deserve to know what their money will be used for.
The opinions expressed here are solely the views of the author, and not representative of the position of any organization, political party, doughnut shop, knitting guild, or waste recycling facility, but may be correctly attributed to the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy. If anything in the above article has offended you, please click here to receive an immediate apology.
Leave a Reply