video production in Manassas and Prince William County

So You Think You Can Run For Office?

By Greg L | 25 February 2015 | Fairfax County, Humor & Satire | 43 Comments

When Brian Schoeneman decided to carpet-bag up to Sully District in order to run for the Fairfax Board of Supervisors (a plan Democrats were apparently in the know about in August of 2014) it presented an interesting test: can a blogger credibly run for public office?  Would the volume of public blog postings and comments prove themselves to be an insurmountable treasure-trove of negative opposition research that would preclude a candidacy?

At least in this case, saying it’s a “test” massively understates what has become a public “trial.”

Not long ago someone established the twitter account “@Schoenemanisms” and has been pushing out a steady stream of quotes from this erstwhile candidate.  Some of them are amusing.  Some of them are inexplicable. But all of them would make a lot of folks wonder whether this guy really is cut out for elected office, rather than just being the self-proclaimed “RINO-in-Chief” of the blog “Bearing Drift.”

And some of them are just downright disturbing.

Yes, here’s the now-candidate then calling someone names because they were a cancer survivor. This is not what you want to have come up when you’re asking people for votes, I’m sure.

I suppose posting a lot on blogs and social media aren’t necessarily impediments to running for office, but when you leave these kinds of breadcrumbs everywhere, and such an amazing volume of them at that, it’s probably not a good idea. If you don’t bother to google yourself and figure it out, it’s a pretty sure thing someone else will and they’re bound to share what they find with everyone. With twitter as a distribution medium, it actually can go to just about everyone.

Fortunately there’s a much better choice for Republicans in the Sully District, and I’m pretty sure they aren’t going to see this kind of rhetoric out of John Guevara. In the meantime, if you like to see some amusement in your twitter feed, there’s no one better to follow than @Schoenemanisms which I expect will be going on for as long as Schoeneman continues to believe he actually has a shot at getting nominated.

UPDATE 3/13/15: All the tweets from @schoenemanisms have disappeared, which makes this post about the only record of what was an exercise in freedom of speech in the Sully District.  I guess we know a lot more about Brian Schoeneman now.

1. Jeanine Martin said on 26 Feb 2015 at 1:33 pm:

When Pat Herrity decided to encourage Brian to move to Sully and run for Supervisor was he unaware that Brian is a blogger and not a popular one? Was he unaware that Brian had made enemies across the state by criticizing any and all conservative republicans and Tea Party members? Pat Herrity appears to be very out of touch with Republican voters. Mike Frey too since he too. Perhaps they didn’t realize that it’s Republicans who vote in Firehouse Primaries and rank and file Republicans dislike Brian. He’ll be lucky to snag second place in Sully.

2. Chris Beer said on 26 Feb 2015 at 1:42 pm:

My wife once asked me if I ever thought of running for office, I said “Sure, but I’d never win.”

“Why?” she asked.

“I’ve said too many stupid things on my blog.”

Self awareness is important.

3. Stephen Spiker said on 26 Feb 2015 at 2:52 pm:

Jeanine, not shockingly, you overestimate your importance.

You don’t like him; that doesn’t mean he’s not popular.

He’s loathed by you; that doesn’t mean he has “enemies across the state.”

He’s criticized you, as you are an awful human being. That doesn’t mean he has criticized “any and all conservatives and Tea Partiers” (really?)

Pat Herrity is out of touch with your irrational paranoia, not with voters in Fairfax County (of which you are not one).

Most “rank and file” Republicans don’t know Brian (or Guevara, for that matter). That’s what campaigns are for.

4. Anonymous said on 26 Feb 2015 at 3:21 pm:

BS surrogates calling people paranoid and “awful human beings.” Great way to promote a candidate there, but at least its consistent with how BS treats other Republicans.

Maybe a blanket statement of if you don’t support Brian you must be a racist just gets all this out of the way once and for all.

5. Stephen Spiker said on 26 Feb 2015 at 3:32 pm:

Not calling “people” anything, just one person, who is an awful human being. That’s singular.

I don’t agree with Schoeneman on everything, and I can’t vote for him anyways. I also think there are serious questions raised by how FCRC chose its nominations. But that doesn’t mean I’ll stand by while someone satisfies their personal vendetta against a friend of mine by lying and smearing *other* Republicans with baseless accusations, especially when they have a lengthy history of spreading false rumors and misinformation.

6. EMSoliDeoGloria said on 26 Feb 2015 at 5:40 pm:

“Awful human being”? Really? Can’t we disagree responsibly and reserve that kind of language for people doing incredible evil? Might it be more constructive to focus on someone’s doing, rather than their being, if you disagree with them?

7. Anonymous said on 26 Feb 2015 at 6:31 pm:

Such a smear to publish a candidates own comments. That really is below the belt. Next you know someone might actually look at what BS did on the electoral board to make sure Mark Herring won. That would be awful.

8. Jeanine Martin said on 26 Feb 2015 at 9:48 pm:

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win”. I am clearly winning with the Schoeneman/Spiker gang and I couldn’t be happier.
    Seriously, I wish Brian would realize the damage his minions are doing to his campaign. Even Brian’s own words aren’t as damaging to his campaign as his strongest supporters are.

9. Stephen Spiker said on 27 Feb 2015 at 12:10 am:

You consider lying about people to be “winning”? What a terrible sentiment.

10. Jeanine Martin said on 27 Feb 2015 at 12:15 am:

Where did I lie? I haven’t and you know that. I have nothing about your boy what wasn’t factual. And yes, I’ve already won. You know it and so does everyone else. That’s why you have become completely unglued. You aren’t helping yourself and you certainly aren’t helping Brian.

11. Jeanine Martin said on 27 Feb 2015 at 12:18 am:

I haven’t written anything about Brian what wasn’t true. I was unaware that he had purchased his rental house in Sully but I have lied about nothing.

12. Stephen Spiker said on 27 Feb 2015 at 1:07 am:

You’ve lied repeatedly about the FCRC Executive Committee being controlled by Pat Herrity or doing things for the benefit of Brian.

You lied about Pat Herrity trying to “choose for voters” with the simple act of an endorsement.

You lied about Brian’s house, and only reluctantly conceded the truth. (That’s what happens when you blindly post talking points you’ve been fed without checking yourself.)

You lied that Brian moved into Sully District just to run for the seat; he and his family have been in the process of moving for over a year.

You lied about Brian running for office at Pat Herrity’s behest or suggestion.

You lied about Brian not being a Republican.

You lied about not having a personal vendetta against Brian.

If anything, your quote pertains to Brian, not you. First you ignored Brian; then you laughed at him; now you’re attacking him. You are the bully in this story.

13. Stephen Spiker said on 27 Feb 2015 at 1:25 am:

And in this very comment thread you lied about Brian “criticizing any and all conservative Republicans and Tea Party members”. You can hardly go a comment or a post without spinning a falsehood about him.

14. Greg L said on 27 Feb 2015 at 11:07 am:

If you’re a Tea Party member who has an opportunity to engage in online discussions where Schoeneman frequents and haven’t been attacked by him, by all means feel free to confirm the above. I don’t imagine many would.

What Jeanine has experienced is my experience also, however. I’d hardly call it a falsehood when so many members of the Tea Party have been on the receiving end of BS’s bad behavior and frequent implications that they’re somehow members of white supremacist organizations.

About the only thing I think is questionable is whether Herrity arranged for all this. On a thread in the leftist Blue Virginia blog, Democrats were talking about Brian’s potential run for Sully District back in August. The evidence, such as it is, would seem that Herrity wasn’t involved in this until shortly before Brian announced, although Democrats seemed to have had quite a bit more insight on his intentions. If anyone put him up to this, it probably wasn’t Herrity.

15. Jeanine Martin said on 27 Feb 2015 at 1:11 pm:

Wow! I’m the one being called a liar, and far worse, and I’m the bully? Hilarious. I am thoroughly enjoying the Schoeneman’s campaign to divert attention from him to me! It’s too funny and completely ineffective. It’s a good thing I’m not as thin skinned as Brian and his little friends!

16. Stephen Spiker said on 27 Feb 2015 at 5:50 pm:

Ineffective at what? What do you think I’m trying to do here, exactly? There’s no undecided voters reading the comments section of Greg’s blog (or yours).

All I’m doing is sticking up for a friend and calling out your lies. You keep on refusing to back up a single thing I’ve called out, which proves what we all knew from the start: you’re full of shit.

And I will continue to do so, because you are exactly as thin-skinned as you think Brian is; otherwise you wouldn’t try so hard to prove you’re laughing off being exposed as an embarrassment.

17. Savoia di Lucania said on 27 Feb 2015 at 10:41 pm:

Spiker’s pretty much captured my sentiments here.

Jeanine Martin is obsessed with carrying out a personal vendetta against Brian Schoeneman. Jeanine Martin lacks information that is useful in this endeavor. She therefore manipulates and misrepresents facts to compensate. This is a textbook smear campaign, one that is failing.

Speedy Guevara should take note that Jeanine Martin is not helping him.

18. Jeanine Martin said on 27 Feb 2015 at 11:52 pm:

You goofballs, there is no ‘personal vendetta’. I have no personal relationship with BS, nor have I ever had such a relationship with him. Sheeze. Grow up.

19. Really? said on 28 Feb 2015 at 10:00 pm:

Really?

“My friend … Brian Schoeneman, has filed to run in my old district, the 35th, in the Virginia House of Delegates … Good Luck Brian!” - Jeanine Martin

20. Jeanine Martin said on 1 Mar 2015 at 12:08 am:

Yes, Brian was nice guy 4 years ago. I was being very generous when I called him ‘my friend’. Then Brian went to law school, passed the bar, bought into Bearing Drift, and became a complete pompous know-it-all ass while moving as far left as he could and still claim to be a some sort of a republican. What a shame. He could have been so much more than a union flunky who will never go anywhere in politics. He could even have been likable. He could have been respected. He could have been a real republican. Sad.

This is so much fun to be the center of Brian’s little campaign. Bless his heart for having his little friends follow me all over the internet, searching for my every utterance. VERY flattering. You better watch it, this could all go to my head and I could end up having a head as swelled as Brian’s!

JK, no one could have that big a swelled head! No one could think that much of him/herself. Not possible. But thanks for letting me spend so much time in your heads, rent free! So fun and so flattering!

PS, don’t you have a couple of politicians who pay you to do something for their campaigns? Surely neither of them is paying you to follow me around the internet. Are they?

21. Jeanine Martin said on 1 Mar 2015 at 12:17 am:

So glad to see so many people have seen this thread!

22. Stephen Spiker said on 1 Mar 2015 at 4:03 am:

That’s quite a few words from someone who says they don’t care.

I’m also glad to see so many people have read this thread. They’ll read a blogger who attacks and lies about someone she has a vendetta against, then cries foul when someone criticizes her for lying! Talk about thin-skinned!

Then they’ll see her ask exactly where she’s lied. When its pointed out to her, she completely ignores it! Even though she knows it demonstrates much she’s lied, she refuses to respond. Over 700 people have seen that.

23. Savoia di Lucania said on 1 Mar 2015 at 6:29 am:

I think it’s terrific you have become such an important part of the upcoming election, Jeanine. It must be so flattering after your own esteemed political career has started to wind down! And I couldn’t think of a better person on which everyone should focus. Your nuanced candor, never wanting to be too aggressive in your perspectives, conveys an element of inclusiveness. Your modest tone, underscored by a strong foundation of integrity, is so tremendously endearing. Most importantly your willingness to discuss what it means to be Republican — especially when so many have asked — is really helpful. If the Chupacabra ran for election, I am confident your blogging and commenting would be the game changer in his successful election!

24. Janie Oldham said on 1 Mar 2015 at 2:54 pm:

You give Jeanine far too much credit.

25. Stephen Spiker said on 1 Mar 2015 at 3:28 pm:

Ironically, I don’t know who Savoia is.

Also, I don’t think calling John Guevara “Speedy” is a good idea. I wish nothing but the best for Guevara; he seems like a good guy. And he deserves credit for stepping up and running for local office. All candidates do, including Brian.

I think Sully Republicans have two good choices, and either one would be better than Kathy Smith.

26. Jeanine Martin said on 1 Mar 2015 at 4:08 pm:

If you don’t know who Savoia is, you’re the last one to figure it out.

Yes, Sully has two good choices, both named John.

27. Stephen Spiker said on 1 Mar 2015 at 4:26 pm:

I also don’t care that much about who Savoia is. As I’ve said repeatedly, my only interest in this mess is putting an end to the lies and smears, and beating Kathy Smith.

Post great things about Guevara or even Litzenberger, if he ever actually becomes a candidate, all you want; you won’t hear a peep out of me.

28. Jeanine Martin said on 1 Mar 2015 at 5:42 pm:

Thank you for being civil about it. I appreciate your efforts. Being civil also helps your candidate. But you knew that.

The problem is, Brian can’t win. period. Either of the Johns has a much better chance of beating Kathy. Brian has too much baggage. He’s made too many enemies. Too many of his anti-republican, pro-union, pro-amnesty, anti-Walker, views are in print for all to see. A blogger as prolific as he cannot run for office and be successful. Considering he’s all the smartest man in the room, it’s rather surprising that he didn’t realize that years ago.

29. Stephen Spiker said on 1 Mar 2015 at 6:00 pm:

Well, there we disagree. A local office like Supervisor, its all about the campaign, the message, and the voters. The trivialities you refer to will hardly be campaign fodder like they would be for federal office. I believe any of the 2-3 Republicans in the race can win. I also believe any of the 2-3 Republicans in the race can lose. That’s why we have campaigns.

I’m not going to spend a lot of time trying to convince you otherwise; you clearly have your mind made up. But ultimately its a subjective matter that cannot be proven. I just think it’s in everybody’s best interests if we just stick to supporting the candidates we prefer.

30. Jeanine Martin said on 1 Mar 2015 at 6:13 pm:

If Brian was well known in Sully, if he had been on some commissions, or PTA President, or HOA President, or active in Little League, or something that brought him some recognition in Sully, I would agree with you. It’s all about being known in a Supervisor district. No one knows him. There is no name recognition. Brian’s best hope is for both Johns to remain in the race and split the Republican vote. That might eek out a win for Brian with somewhere around 38% of the vote, solely because of Herrity and Frey endorsing him. Then Kathy, with her abundant name recognition, will run all over him in the general. Brian will get the same percentage of the vote in the general and lose to Kathy 62% to 38%. Sad to loose that seat but Republicans just won’t be fired up to work hard for Brian. He has almost no following in Sully and he’s not well liked.

31. Jeanine Martin said on 1 Mar 2015 at 10:36 pm:

I have never told a lie about Brian. The truth is he has changed over the years and has repeatedly attacked me and other conservatives for having differing views. Brian has called me a racist (among other names) because I do not support an open immigration policy. Things like that make it rather difficult to consider Brian a friend. This is why I and a whole other host of people are not supporting him and believe he will not be successful in winning the nomination. He has offended too many Republicans to garner the support that he needs to win an election.

32. Stephen Spiker said on 2 Mar 2015 at 12:23 am:

Fact of the matter is you have lied. Dress it up however you like, but you let your desire to settle personal grudges get in the way of sticking with the facts.

I don’t deny that he’s given you cause to dislike him. That doesn’t give you license to make things up, whether its cooking up conspiracy theories about FCRC or inventing fairy tales about how and why he’s running.

Look: you disagree with him on policy matters? Speak to that. I think it’s preferable to just speak positively about the candidates you do support, but you seem drawn to negativity and no one can control what you post, no matter who you drag down with you. So if you’re going to talk about Brian, at least stick to the factual matters with which you disagree with him, and let people decide who they agree with.

But you’ve gotten too caught up with this, coming up with this sad spin where it’s “Brian vs Jeanine” and you’re somehow winning for smearing him. I understand that every time I respond to you, it makes you feel more important. I don’t care. It’s still worth it to me to put on record how you’ve lied about my friend, and make the truth known, and make it known that at least one person (not even involved in the campaign) won’t stand idly by for this type of bullying and lying.

33. Jeanine Martin said on 2 Mar 2015 at 12:45 am:

Believe me, nothing you do makes me feel important. I don’t need that or want it.

No one is lying about your friend. Ask around.

34. Stephen Spiker said on 2 Mar 2015 at 8:58 am:

“Ask around”? What would that accomplish? What do other people who dislike Brian know about his motives for running for office, or when and why and how he decided to run? What do other people know about the motives of the FCRC Executive Committee who determined the nomination process?

You peddle hyperbole, hearsay, conspiracy theories, and plain old mistruths in service of your vendetta. These are not things that are subject to a show of hands.

“Ask around” to see if some people dislike Brian as much as you? I know that’s true. I also know that a lot of people support Brian as I do. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t keep encouraging me to comment and keep your lies in check.

Just stick to where you disagree with Brian on policy, or why you support Guevara (assuming its for a reason other than “he’s not Brian). Everybody, including you, me, Brian, John, and the Republican Party, will be better off for it.

35. Anon said on 2 Mar 2015 at 9:13 am:

Pathetic Steve, when all is seemingly said and done, he throws out the “liar” card again. Just pathetic. No wonder Steve’s guy will lose.

Steve, many people read blogs now. Just say’in dude.

Virginia Republicans of all stripes will continue to lose as the moderate establishment wing can’t/won’t get in sync with their conservative wing. By default Virginia gets bluer and bluer. Soon, you might as well be living in Maryland. . .

Observer

36. Savoia di Lucania said on 2 Mar 2015 at 12:36 pm:

Spiker and I default to the “liar card” because that is the issue of contention. Jeanine Martin’s use of “hyperbole, hearsay, conspiracy theories, and plain old mistruths” to service her vendetta against Brian is totally accurate and readily apparent. Just one of many examples:

Jeanine: “…moving into an area and renting a house just so you can run for office is a bit suspect. It doesn’t show a commitment to the district. When Brian loses this race, where will he turn up next?”
    Savoia di Lucania:
    Jeanine: “You are correct, it sold 5 days ago…again, are you of age to vote?”
    Savoia di Lucania: “So keeping in line with your Republican ethics, ought you recant all of your nonsense about renting houses and correct the public record?”
    Jeanine:

While I originally opined that this stems from a lack of scandalous/salacious facts to report about Brian and his peers, further research suggests this is her modus operandi. In the context of Republicanism, Jeanine Martin has nothing worthwhile to add to the conversation (taxation, transportation, immigration, education). To counteract all of this, she resorts to ad hominem attacks:

Jeanine: “Yes, I have a problem with Brian representing republicans because he isn’t one.”
    Savoia di Lucania: “Tell us Jeanine, what makes a true Republican? Indulge us with your insight.”
    Jeanine:
    Savoia di Lucania: “I’ll ask again. What makes a true Republican?”
    Jeanine: “Now you’ve taken to upgrading your own posts? Are you even old enough to vote?”

Like Spiker, I have no interest in giving Jeanine Martin a hard time if she sticks to the issues and her opinions, devoid of personal attacks on others. But she hasn’t given me any choice in this matter.

37. Savoia di Lucania said on 2 Mar 2015 at 12:47 pm:

@Janie Oldham

“Hey there Savoia, You do realize that we all know who you are, right? At least Spiker uses his own name. Don’t you have a couple of campaigns you’re supposed to be working on? Do Howell and BS know the damage you are doing to their campaigns and how much time you are devoting to people who criticize your candidates? Wouldn’t your time be better served working to elect your candidates?”

Based on this remark (I had to look up Howell, as the first Howell came to mind was Jack Howell of the 1980s Los Angeles Angels), you have absolutely positively no idea who I am. I am not associated with any campaign in any fashion, have never been associated with any campaign in any fashion.

38. Savoia di Lucania said on 2 Mar 2015 at 12:49 pm:

“If you don’t know who Savoia is, you’re the last one to figure it out. ”

Really? Who am I, Jeanine?

39. Savoia di Lucania said on 2 Mar 2015 at 12:55 pm:

“If Brian was well known in Sully, if he had been on some commissions, or PTA President, or HOA President, or active in Little League, or something that brought him some recognition in Sully”

How is it you are qualified, as a Loudoun County, to speak authoritatively on behalf of Sully District? And if you are not qualified, with whom do you speak in Sully that has such a broad command of the populace?

40. Anon said on 3 Mar 2015 at 1:03 pm:

“I think Brian is better known and more highly regarded than you’d like to admit, particularly outside the subset of blog culture. And I think it’s only going to get better with added endorsements, events, and the usual campaign materials…”

I doubt you are helpful to your candidate. . . When you acuse others of being liars. You take the air out of your candidates sail.

As stated previously, a pathetic, pathetic tactic.

41. Stephen Spiker said on 3 Mar 2015 at 8:09 pm:

Wowie, two “pathetics”! I’m really hoping for three next time.

But fret not; we will stop calling Jeanine Martin a liar. It would be nice if that could be coupled with Jeanine not giving us cause to anymore, but that’s beyond my control.

And just for you, since you object to the term “liar” so much (even naming a card after it!), I will find another way to refer to somebody who willfully posts things she knows not to be true or otherwise cannot be determined to be correct, including:

–Deceiver
    –Fibber
    –Fabulist
    –Misleader
    –Prevaricator
    –Maligner

Of those, I like “prevaricator” the best, but YMMV.

42. Anon said on 3 Mar 2015 at 8:25 pm:

I give up, with shock troops of your caliber, your silly candidate deserves to be student body president.

Your thesaurus missed a couple of other terms. You might want to download a new version from central command.

Good luck

43. Stephen Spiker said on 3 Mar 2015 at 8:32 pm:

I’ll have you know I only used a thesaurus for the last two.