When Campaign Consultants Go Bad

By Greg L | 16 March 2015 | Prince William County | 12 Comments

It isn’t every day I get reports of campaign operatives giving dark warnings to people about how the candidate they’re not supporting is going to get utterly demolished by negative opposition research, but who then immediately turn around and say that the candidate they are supporting is going to offer them a patronage job after they win.  But then it isn’t every day that I’m getting phone calls relating what Steve Botello is telling them.

Botello is somehow the “social media guy” for Michele McQuigg, which in itself is pretty humorous given how the guy can’t seem to put up a website that isn’t rife with grammatical errors and general nonsense.  What he’s telling people is that if McQuigg gets re-elected, Botello is going to land himself a nice cushy job as a Deputy Clerk at the courthouse.  Thanks for the inside baseball info there, Steve, and that actually qualifies as opposition research.

If it works out, let’s hope you do a better job in the Clerk’s office than you did making sure the PWCGOP had polls covered in the Gainesville District during the last election.  By the way, that job could be somewhat difficult to ultimately get if you’re trying to spread outright lies about Michele’s opponent having filed for bankruptcy and being subject to a foreclosure, neither of which are true.  They have these things called records in the courthouse, and if you haven’t figured out how to use them someone might conclude that appointing you as a deputy courthouse clerk is an awfully ridiculous thing to do.

1. Bob FitzSimmonds said on 16 Mar 2015 at 5:49 pm:

Greg - not sure who the source for all this is but it is definitely not true. I imagine any conjecture about this is regarding my position, since I have been pretty open about my plans to move on in the near future and any other position would be filled using the County HR hiring procedure, which uses a selection process for candidates that is impossible to predict. In my case, the timing is completely up in the air and Michele has not addresses when and how I would be replaced. It is a great job and there is a lot of interest already, so I imagine when the time comes there will be a very competitive interview process.

2. Chris Royse said on 16 Mar 2015 at 7:39 pm:

3. How Many Times has Botello Run? said on 16 Mar 2015 at 8:20 pm:

I’m just wondering when Botello will start standing on the side of the road waving a McQuigg sign…like he did when he kinda sorta ran for Supervisor

4. Anonymous said on 16 Mar 2015 at 9:15 pm:

I have to wonder how long it’ll be until he proposition’s the wrong guy’s wife and ends up with a pipe wrench embedded in his skull. He sure rolls the dice on that one a lot.

5. What! said on 16 Mar 2015 at 9:29 pm:

Like.

6. I'm just saying. said on 17 Mar 2015 at 5:21 am:

I heard the same rumor from a reliable source. Michele has a reputation for “scorched earth” campaigns. Austin Haynes is not a good target for such a campaign. He has done too much for our community.

The only one who will get burned is her.

7. I know Haynes said on 17 Mar 2015 at 8:40 am:

Austin Haynes has had his difficulties in life just as any of us have had. As a businessman he has been a risk taker. In as such, I am sure he has had both good times, and bad.

It is my understanding from talking to several local pols, that some of McQuigg’s supporters are putting the hard press on many of the people who have endorsed Haynes. LET ME BE CLEAR, this hard press on Austin’s supporters is not about how good McQuigg is, its all negative and about how Austin is a terrible, dirty guy. This has really pissed me off at Michelle McQuigg. Austin Haynes is one of the most generous and caring persons I have ever met. This negative ‘whisper’ campaign against Austin is disgusting.

Vote Haynes……. Defeat McQuigg and her nasty smear campaign.

8. Austin for Clerk said on 17 Mar 2015 at 12:08 pm:

I understand McQuigg is threatening businesses that endirse Haynes with boycots by her allies. That’s oretty low. I hope they go public with her threats and tell her to pound sand.

I don’t want McQuigg in my courthouse.

9. winston said on 17 Mar 2015 at 7:21 pm:

McQuigg is a whackjob that thinks being elected to office is akin to being royalty. She was a sorry Supervisor and she is sorry where she is now (since she is back from defending marriage).

10. Patty said on 19 Mar 2015 at 3:41 pm:

I truly believe it is time for Michele McQuigg to retire.

11. Anonymous said on 19 Mar 2015 at 8:54 pm:

She was a horrible supervisor, a horrible state delegate, and an embarrassment as clerk. She needs to just go away.

12. Anonymous said on 8 Jul 2015 at 8:47 am:

Not a surprise that Botello’s inept political posturing and aggressive involvement in veteran’s organizations has been viewed by many veterans as superficial and an attempt to use his membership and association as a springboard for his failed political ambitions.